Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Do we look to New England, Boise State, or...? Reply with quote

As there will be a number of teams looking for a new HC this year, I'm wondering how deep the pool of suitable hires might be. Let's throw out some names. Some legitimate, others not so much.

Let's just get these two unlikely candidates out of the way.
John Gruden (he makes $4 million a year with ESPN and just signed a 5-yr extension)

Bill Cowher (comfortable at CBS; do we even want another defensive coach? No.)

Brainstorm
Bill O'Brien, former NE OC, 1st year HC at PSU (rumor: Eagles are interested in him)

Charlie Weis, former NE OC, HC 5 years at ND, 1st year HC at KU

Andy Reid, definitely the cream of the crop. My problem with Reid his personal life is chaotic and he looks burned out. Maybe OC but IMO he'd benefit from a year away from the game.

Norv Turner, even if he was open to coming to Chicago, I wouldn't want him as a HC. OC, definitely!

Josh Daniels, current NE OC (total 4 years in 2 stints), Broncos HC 1+ yrs (debacle)

No NFL experience
Jeff Tedford, Oregon OC 4 years, 11 year HC at Cal

Chris Peterson, Boise State OC 5 years, HC 7 years

Mike Leach, 10 year HC at Texas Tech, 1st year at Washington State

Or, we just keep Lovie Smith.

The next question, where are the Bears in the pecking order?

The Cowboys are in a very similar situation as the Bears. If Garrett doesn't go really deep in the playoffs, he's gone. The Cowboys are young and loaded with talent. This job has to be at the top of the pecking order.

I'd say the Eagles HC job could be next. Good owner and talent on offense.

Next might be the Chargers. Despite his play the past 2 seasons, building an offense around Phillip Rivers may be more attractive than trying to deal with our OL issues and aging defense. A guy like Tedford might be inclined to stay in Cali.

I think we're probably ahead of the Jets and the rest with bigger problems than ours.

So, I've got Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, then Bears. The Eagles and Chargers have a huge advantage as they've probably already started making phone calls.

Here's how I see it.
Reid, Turner - pass
O'Brien and Weis - at the top of the list and off the board.
Daniels - worthy of another chance, or too soon?
Leach, Peterson, and Tedford - all have had innovative offenses
Lovie Smith - wait until next year

What do you guys think? Any other names out there we would want to go after? Do those still on the board look better than Lovie?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruden & Cowher aren’t going anywhere…

Bill O’Brian isn’t going anywhere…

We all better hope Charlie Weis, Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Josh Daniels aren’t in the conversation since none of them are as good as Lovie is and Jay would punch out McDaniels if he seen him in the parking lot before the interview…

Jeff Tedford or Mike Leach offence system wouldn’t work in the NFL…

Chris Peterson is the only guy on the list with even a realistic chance of possibly being better (altho I doubt it given some of the things Boise do that wouldn’t work in the NFL)…

The only college coach who might realistically leave his job for the Bears and who would be worth a look is Mike Riley at Oregon State…but he more than likely wouldn’t leave either…

If we are going to get rid of Lovie (and I believe he is better than anyone on that list) then you are more than likely looking at an NFL coordinator…not someone else’s HC.
Pinky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

We all better hope Charlie Weis, Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Josh Daniels aren’t in the conversation since none of them are as good as Lovie is and Jay would punch out McDaniels if he seen him in the parking lot before the interview…

Chris Peterson is the only guy on the list with even a realistic chance of possibly being better (altho I doubt it given some of the things Boise do that wouldn’t work in the NFL)…

The only college coach who might realistically leave his job for the Bears and who would be worth a look is Mike Riley at Oregon State…but he more than likely wouldn’t leave either…

If we are going to get rid of Lovie (and I believe he is better than anyone on that list) then you are more than likely looking at an NFL coordinator…not someone else’s HC.

I agree with the Highlander.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

Mike Riley is an interesting name.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Mike Riley is an interesting name.

Yeah but I doubt he would take the risk of leaving Oregon State again for the NFL after what happened in San Diego.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn’t an outstanding NFL assistant ready for an HC job on the Offensive side of the ball…

Kyle Shanahan…really young and has always had either his dad or Kubiak to consult.

Pete Carmichael Jr…always had Sean Paton to consult and has never been anything more than quality control outside of the Saints organisation.

Josh McDaniels…who Cutler & Marshall would never work with.

Mike McCoy…only been really good since Payton arrived…was poor with Tebow but who wouldn’t be…who knows what you would get from him with Cutler.

I don't feel any of these guys with the exception of maybe Shanahan in 5 year's time stack up to Lovie.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
There isn’t an outstanding NFL assistant ready for an HC job on the Offensive side of the ball…

Kyle Shanahan…really young and has always had either his dad or Kubiak to consult.

Pete Carmichael Jr…always had Sean Paton to consult and has never been anything more than quality control outside of the Saints organisation.

Mike McCoy…only been really good since Payton arrived…was poor with Tebow but who wouldn’t be…who knows what you would get from him with Cutler.

I don't feel any of these guys with the exception of maybe Shanahan in 5 year's time stack up to Lovie.

Mike McCoy adapted and ran a successful enough offence with TIM TEBOW and then adapted again and now runs a successful offense with Peyton Mannings. McCoy is a nice option becaus of his ability to ADAPT to his personnel and the teams need.

Pete CarMichael has called plays in New Orleans all of this season, without Sean Payton, and last year with his guidance. I would gladly look at someone off of the Sean Payton coaching tree who has learned from who I consider the best offensive mind in football. Sean Payton clearly likes and respects this guy.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Mike McCoy adapted and ran a successful enough offence with TIM TEBOW and then adapted again and now runs a successful offense with Peyton Mannings. McCoy is a nice option becaus of his ability to ADAPT to his personnel and the teams need.

Pete CarMichael has called plays in New Orleans all of this season, without Sean Payton, and last year with his guidance. I would gladly look at someone off of the Sean Payton coaching tree who has learned from who I consider the best offensive mind in football. Sean Payton clearly likes and respects this guy.

McCoy didn’t run that successful an offence with Tebow as his starter…in 2011 they were 23rd in total yards…31st in passing & 25th in points scored…Manning is the guy making his name right now…

Carmichael is calling plays right now but in reality Brees has the final say in that offence…when Payton was suspended the NFL Network talked about how Brees & Payton game plan for the week and then Carmichael implemented it in practice…he’s not the brain trust there and more worryingly the Saints passed him over for Oline coach Aaron Kromer when Joe Vitt was also suspended.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

McCoy didn’t run that successful an offence with Tebow as his starter…in 2011 they were 23rd in total yards…31st in passing & 25th in points scored…Manning is the guy making his name right now…

Carmichael is calling plays right now but in reality Brees has the final say in that offence…when Payton was suspended the NFL Network talked about how Brees & Payton game plan for the week and then Carmichael implemented it in practice…he’s not the brain trust there and more worryingly the Saints passed him over for Oline coach Aaron Kromer when Joe Vitt was also suspended.

McCoy won games with Tebow and led comebacks with the WORST QB in NFL history.

And we do not know what Carmichael exactly does for the Saints, but we do know he calls plays for a high powered offence.

And we cannot really say that a guy won't leave. This is the Chicago Bears, the charter franchise of the NFL people leave jobs for this job.
51to54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:

HA, your Josh Daniels comment is in the running for the best line of 2012.

Riley isn't going anywhere. He bleeds orange and black and is in my opinion one of the finest 'coaches' in the nation. Routinely takes mid graded football players and coaches them up to compete and win against programs that Oregon State has no reasonable expectation of doing so.

I'm not a big fan of taking a college coach right to the pros as HC. Almost always a major fail. My son and I have always liked Fisher, but we missed the timing on that one.

Would prefer a defensive coach until the day when Soldier Field is domed.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little breakdown of some of the coordinators and am working on some other options as well.

Coordinators

Mike McCoy [40]

Spent 9 years with the Carolina Panthers [2000-2008] before moving on to be the Denver Broncos OC. He oversaw successful offenses with Kyle Orton then adapted to make Tim Tebow work and now oversees the offense led by Peyton Manning. McCoy is also a former QB at the Universiity of Utah and bounced around the professional circuit in the mid 90s. Peyton discusses in the article how McCoys adaptability and similar philosiphy is what attracted him to Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82944ade/article/peyton-manning-broncos-coach-mike-mccoy-a-perfect-match

Jay Gruden [45]

Gruden is a former QB [Louisville, Arena League] who took over the Bengals offense 2 years ago and has worked wonders with rookie talent. He also has head coaching expereinces, although at the UFL level. Gruden is complimented for his work with Andy Dalton and the young offensive players in Cincinnati. He also worked on his brother John's staff, but does not come with the same price tag.

John Clayton [ESPN]

"In reality, the credit should go to Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, who called an incredible game. For what he has done developing Dalton and a young receiving corps in Cincinnati, Congress should launch an investigation if Gruden doesn't get a head-coaching job next year. The guy is brilliant. Gruden's unit put up 478 yards and 38 points. Overall, the Bengals had seven plays of 22 yards or more Sunday. In the past two weeks, the Bengals have had five touchdowns of 40 yards or more. Dalton proved he was special last season in helping the Bengals make the playoffs as a wild-card team, but he wasn't known for having a particularly strong arm. This year, he's averaging 9.1 yards an attempt and 13.3 yards a completion."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/9/25/3383822/the-jay-gruden-as-nfl-head-coach-candidate-in-2013-chatter-gaining

Bruce Arians [60]

What Arians is doing in Indianapolis with a young free agent team and as an interm coach is amazing. Arians has been a head coach at Temple and has been a successful OC in the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has led offenses that have won Superbowls. Arians as the Head Coach of the Colts is clearly doing something right as the head man.

http://www.chatsports.com/top-news/a/Bruce-Arians-proves-hes-ready-to-be-head-coach-1-7088203

Pete Carmichael [41][/B)

Carmichael has been with Sean Payton for 7 season learning from the brightest offensive mind in the NFL. He spent 3 years as the QB coach, 4 years as OC and has called plays for the last 2 years. He does not have previous head coaching experience, but he knows offence and Drew Brees seems to really like him.

[B]Todd Haley [45]

This is my darkhorse candidate for a couple of reasons. Haley is an offensive mind and he has experience with Emery in KC. I know things ended weird in Kansas City and things really fell apart, but he has led ultra successful offenses and he has head coaching experience even if it did not end well. In 2007 and 2008 his Cardinals offence led them to a Superbowl and again he is having success in Pittsburgh. I am not a huge fan, but I thought I would add him to the list.
http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/11/19/why-i-miss-todd-haley/
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

McCoy won games with Tebow and led comebacks with the WORST QB in NFL history.

And we do not know what Carmichael exactly does for the Saints, but we do know he calls plays for a high powered offence.

And we cannot really say that a guy won't leave. This is the Chicago Bears, the charter franchise of the NFL people leave jobs for this job.

I’m sure in your offensive led mind Denver’s 13th rank D had nothing to do with those comeback wins Laughing

And we do know what Carmichael does…the NFL Network don’t pay guys for nothing…that was reported as soon as Payton was suspended and again if he was ready for a HC job why was he passed over for a guy who led them to a 1-6 start this season?...

Also I think you are overvaluing the Bears franchise…sure it is certainly one of the best organisations in sports but it’s not a once in a lifetime job…no job in sports is anymore.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Mike McCoy [40]...too much of a unknown for an HC job IMO.

Jay Gruden [45]...Only been a coach in the NFL since 2011...was an assistant under John but that's not enough experience to be an HC IMO.

Bruce Arians [60]...Won't walk out on the Colts.

Pete Carmichael [41]...You know my feels on this one.

Todd Haley [45]...Oh Hell No.

One OC I would trust to be an HC is Rick Dennison from Houston…plenty of experience and has worked under not only Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak but also Alex Gibbs…worked with Cutler during his best year in Denver and also knows Marshall…would mean we could keep Bates on staff to keep Jay happy with the QB coach…let Dennsion and Bates come up with the game plan…

However I still would rather keep Lovie over any of these guys.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Mike McCoy [40]...too much of a unknown for an HC job IMO.

Jay Gruden [45]...Only been a coach in the NFL since 2011...was an assistant under John but that's not enough experience to be an HC IMO.

Bruce Arians [60]...Won't walk out on the Colts.

Pete Carmichael [41]...You know my feels on this one.

Todd Haley [45]...Oh Hell No.

One OC I would trust to be an HC is Rick Dennison from Houston…plenty of experience and has worked under not only Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak but also Alex Gibbs…worked with Cutler during his best year in Denver and also knows Marshall…would mean we could keep Bates on staff to keep Jay happy with the QB coach…let Dennsion and Bates come up with the game plan…

However I still would rather keep Lovie over any of these guys.

I like your Dennison idea,

Rick Dennison [54]

Dennison has a very diverse skill set when it comes to coaching. After playing LB in the NFL for 9 seasons he began coaching offense serving as the OL coach for the Broncos from 2001-2005 then the OC from 2006-2008, when he coached both Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, before coaching the OL again in 2009 before becoming Houston's OC from 2010 to this season. Not only has he been involved in some very good offenses that featured players on our team he has been part of a Houston offence that is very dangerous. With his experience with our personnel and a strong running background he might be the best option for the Bears.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1437368-why-rick-dennison-should-be-the-eagles-next-head-coach
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lovie Smith (54).....career 9-7 coach, playoffs 1 out of 5 years, 19-38 record against teams with a winning record, 15-19 in December.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: