Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Changes to the offensive line???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
I feel like some kind of sorcery is at hand if the Jets rank that high on the OL.

It makes sense when you see the numbers listed out, though. They're good at the POA, but do next to nothing on the second level and there's no breakaway ability on the roster.

It might just be me, but I feel like the OL blocks better for Greene than for Powell.

Powell has a higher YPC...

I want to see someone break off a long run. I feel like it's been forever since we had one.

I know. I think that is despite the blocking. The difference should be even greater.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Slauson won't return to New York, the guy gets benched every 3 series to play Vlad Ducasse who even the Offensive Line Coach does not think deserves playing time. He's heading to Dallas to reunite with Bill Callahan and take over at Center.

Brandon Moore- Long tenured Jet. Ask yourself, does he want to return?

Team could be looking for two guards, unless you consider Vlad a starting caliber player.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
I feel like some kind of sorcery is at hand if the Jets rank that high on the OL.

It makes sense when you see the numbers listed out, though. They're good at the POA, but do next to nothing on the second level and there's no breakaway ability on the roster.

It might just be me, but I feel like the OL blocks better for Greene than for Powell.
Completely agree...seems like Powell works with nothing every carry. But maybe I'm just on the Powell bandwagon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right move I believe would be to take an OT in the draft, as high as the second round, if the value is there. There's really nobody on the roster who you could imagine playing LT if Brick went down, and it may be that Howard is best suited to take over the RG position down the road.

I'm starting to think that it's more important to hold on to Brandon Moore for another year for his veteran leadership, rather than retain Slauson. Ducasse should be moved permanently to LG, and an early-round tackle could be a decent insurance policy to step in at that position if Ducasse busts. But ideally, I think you would groom a draft pick to potentially take RT, and consider Howard as Brandon Moore's eventual replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
The right move I believe would be to take an OT in the draft, as high as the second round, if the value is there. There's really nobody on the roster who you could imagine playing LT if Brick went down, and it may be that Howard is best suited to take over the RG position down the road.

I'm starting to think that it's more important to hold on to Brandon Moore for another year for his veteran leadership, rather than retain Slauson. Ducasse should be moved permanently to LG, and an early-round tackle could be a decent insurance policy to step in at that position if Ducasse busts. But ideally, I think you would groom a draft pick to potentially take RT, and consider Howard as Brandon Moore's eventual replacement.
I like this scenario a lot. Much more so than just bringing in another OG.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There hasn't been any point of the season where I felt the o-line has been a problem. Ferguson has had his best season to date, Slauson has been average to above, Mangold hasn't been his usual self (best in the NFL), but still much better than most, Moore has maybe lost a step, but still good and Howard has improved as the season has gone on and been pretty good the past few weeks.

The biggest problem with the o-line are the players that play behind it. I wouldn't mind if the Jets added a guard early to replace Moore (age), but the rest is fine as is.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I was wondering if Tony made some adjustments to his run blocking scheme. Remember that was considered the big weakness on our line. Or it might just be chemistry building over time.

We were in the high 20's for rushing yards per game for a while . Now we are up to number 12.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
famousj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Chance Warmack is the man. Reply with quote

Revamping the Offensive Line should be our #1 priority. Both guard positions and the RT position need to addressed. The more I hear about Chance Warmarck, the more I like the idea of picking him in the first round. It will go a long way in getting our running game going again.

Our draft/free agent priorities should be in this order:

LG
RG
RT
Pass Rusher
Pass Rusher
Pass Rusher
QB (Time for Sanchez to go) (Can you say Mike Vick)

Our top offseason moves should be

1. Dump Tim Tebow
2. Dump Santonio Holmes
3. Sign veteran QB to hopefully replace Mark Sanchez.
4. Find a Pass rusher. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Pay Revis whatever he wants.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
sandwhich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive line has play pretty darn well the last few weeks. Do you really think that's our "#1" priority?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance Warmack is the man. Reply with quote

famousj wrote:
Revamping the Offensive Line should be our #1 priority. Both guard positions and the RT position need to addressed. The more I hear about Chance Warmarck, the more I like the idea of picking him in the first round. It will go a long way in getting our running game going again.

Our draft/free agent priorities should be in this order:

LG
RG
RT
Pass Rusher
Pass Rusher
Pass Rusher
QB (Time for Sanchez to go) (Can you say Mike Vick)

Our top offseason moves should be

1. Dump Tim Tebow
2. Dump Santonio Holmes
3. Sign veteran QB to hopefully replace Mark Sanchez.
4. Find a Pass rusher. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Pay Revis whatever he wants.
I don't see how you could have watched the last four Jets games and believe any of what you just posted...

Also lol @ paying Revis this offseason...his value is at an all-time low and he's coming of ACL surgery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Vick? Not sure if serious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
Michael Vick? Not sure if serious.

It is idiotically serious.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the games we aren't horrible at run blocking but our RB's aren't great and when they do hit a big hole get caught real quick cause they have no speed.

As for pass blocking you can go ahead and blame Sanchez but I'm not buying that. He's been running for his life quite a bit this year. He's does deserve some blame though. I'd say we are below average pass blockers.

Also Moore is getting up there and Ducasse isn't a real option to replace him. I think we need to get a replacement guard via draft or FA. If you want to bring back Moore for 1 more year and let a guard learn behind him one year that's fine but right now that guy is not on our roster. Howard could stand to be upgraded as well. He's average at best.

Edit: I think if it would benefit us greatly if we signed a guy like Levitre to take over for Slauson, resign Moore and move Howard over to guard to be his eventual replacement. I think Howard's strength will help him inside at RG. Then draft a RT in the 2nd to be the starter.

Props to Mack on the sig
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
Watching the games we aren't horrible at run blocking but our RB's aren't great and when they do hit a big hole get caught real quick cause they have no speed.

As for pass blocking you can go ahead and blame Sanchez but I'm not buying that. He's been running for his life quite a bit this year. He's does deserve some blame though. I'd say we are below average pass blockers.

Also Moore is getting up there and Ducasse isn't a real option to replace him. I think we need to get a replacement guard via draft or FA. If you want to bring back Moore for 1 more year and let a guard learn behind him one year that's fine but right now that guy is not on our roster. Howard could stand to be upgraded as well. He's average at best.

Edit: I think if it would benefit us greatly if we signed a guy like Levitre to take over for Slauson, resign Moore and move Howard over to guard to be his eventual replacement. I think Howard's strength will help him inside at RG. Then draft a RT in the 2nd to be the starter.

When I watch our pass blocking, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like Mark takes a lot of coverage sacks and gets uncomfortable due to phantom pressure. The receivers usually aren't open, Mark gets happy feet via phantom pressure and either throws a bad pass or takes a hit because he held on to the ball too long...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

When I watch our pass blocking, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, it seems like Mark takes a lot of coverage sacks and gets uncomfortable due to phantom pressure. The receivers usually aren't open, Mark gets happy feet via phantom pressure and either throws a bad pass or takes a hit because he held on to the ball too long...

Yeah I agree. We could certainly upgrade at OG though. Its looked better because we've played terrible teams lately, but when weve played top competition weve been pretty poor and all phases of the game.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: