Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Changes to the offensive line???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenajets

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Changes to the offensive line??? Reply with quote

As we have the 5th best rated offensive line do you think we need to make changes in the offseason?? The general view was we needed two guards and maybe a replacement for Howard at RT but do we really need changes. Are we happy to roll with Howard at RT and an open competition at guard with Ducasse, Slauson and Moore with Smith to be an insurance for RT or even LT.

Instead of using a 1-3 round draft pick or big money in FA we could use those resources elsewhere. We seem to be running the ball better due to improved run blocking and to be fair Sanchez would make the best O-Line look poor.

Maybe come the end of the season we might get a better idea but its food for thought!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the 5th best rated O-Line? Shocked

Jamison.'s Gallery
green24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still would like to add another guard.
MP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, look at the rushing stats.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/stats

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be nice to bring in another OG, but I really never understood the OMG WE NEED TWO GUARDS AND A RT debate...

Austin Howard has played admirably at RT....we could do a LOT worse and if Moore is gone by seasons end, I think we absoluely need another OG...I don't trust Slauson/Ducasse as our starting OGs, but am okay with them competing for a starting position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could use a guard or two, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if we went into next year with the same offensive line. They've been pretty decent this year.

Props to Jamison for the sig.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't want to change to much on the line. Sign back one of the OG's (Slauson or Moore) , then draft one. Need a stronger run blocker in that position.

Does anyone know which side of the line our run game has had the most success with?

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamison. wrote:
We have the 5th best rated O-Line? Shocked

Yeah, I saw MPs post, but by what books/measures are we being rated as the 5th best O-line?

Does that include both the run game, and through the air?

I find that slightly hard to believe.
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we're going off of Football Outsiders? http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Or Pro Football Focus?

The line isn't that bad. It looks worse because Sanchez has panic attacks every time he has to look over the field longer than 3 seconds and because Shonn Greene has no vision.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are ranked 4th in run blocking and doing great with Moore and Howard. Pass pro is 20th. It's misleading. We have no second level blocking we just have good power blocking we are guaranteed 2 yards and don't get stuffed. Running backs numbers after contact and second level are horrible. We need more Powell and more talent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
We are ranked 4th in run blocking and doing great with Moore and Howard. Pass pro is 20th. It's misleading. We have no second level blocking we just have good power blocking we are guaranteed 2 yards and don't get stuffed. Running backs numbers after contact and second level are horrible. We need more Powell and more talent.

Pass numbers look worse because of Sanchez's horrible pocket awareness and lack of ball protection when someone sacks him from behind.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like some kind of sorcery is at hand if the Jets rank that high on the OL.

It makes sense when you see the numbers listed out, though. They're good at the POA, but do next to nothing on the second level and there's no breakaway ability on the roster.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my eyes the offensive line is improving. At the right price we stay put unless chance warmack falls in our lap. With limited spending money in free agency and limited talent, i doubt we go after anything on the offensive line. It will most likely be offensive weapons like a Dwayne Bowe. A bowe, holmes, Kerley combo would be pretty deadly. Getting Bowe and an OLB should be are two main priorites in free agency. Then we go into draft with the BPA mentality, that way we don't reach for needs.

Barwin, Bowe should be our biggest targets

For the draft it should be BPA in QB, RB, G, DT, OLB, ILB, S. Any of those positions i think BPA should be taken.
green24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
I feel like some kind of sorcery is at hand if the Jets rank that high on the OL.

It makes sense when you see the numbers listed out, though. They're good at the POA, but do next to nothing on the second level and there's no breakaway ability on the roster.

It might just be me, but I feel like the OL blocks better for Greene than for Powell.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:

It might just be me, but I feel like the OL blocks better for Greene than for Powell.

Powell has a higher YPC...

I want to see someone break off a long run. I feel like it's been forever since we had one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: