Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The "New" Ponder Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AQuintus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except, unlike Tebow, Manziel can actually throw the ball.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ponder will not become the guy we want him to be if he doesn't have more weapons around him. Peterson is obviously great, but once Harvin's season ended, there was no one to throw the ball to. Even when Harvin is healthy, Ponder needs additional options. Fortunately, you can find receivers, and you don't even have to go high in the first round of the draft to find them. Many of the best receivers in the league are second-day draft picks. Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback for Green Bay, but he benefits by having a ton of great receivers to throw to -- none of whom is a first-round draft pick. The Vikings can find similar weapons. It just needs to be a priority."

"I also believe teams should draft a quarterback every year. Not a high pick, mind you, but a guy in the middle rounds who has a chance to make it. If anything happens to Ponder, the Vikings need to have a guy behind him that gives them a chance to win. Look at what the Redskins did this year. Not only did they take Robert Griffin III in the first round, but they also went and grabbed Kirk Cousins in the fourth. There are players like him available in the draft every year. You need somebody waiting in the wings to give your team hope and confidence."

Fran Tarkenton

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22334161/fran-tarkenton-surrounding-christian-ponder-talent-key-vikings

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said by Fran.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be cool with another young QB on board.

Guys like Tyler Bray or Lance Jones should be available in later rounds.

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
What nothing to do with Manziel. Tim Tebow v2

Only a lot smaller. Kid will get wrecked in the NFL if he plays QB. Hope he spends his offseasons learning how to play Slot Receiver or Safety.

Actually, he's going to become a college legend, and likely a 2-time Heisman, so some team will probably draft him as a QB. If he isn't open to switching positions, his career will follow the Tebow arc.

Honestly, I was blown away watching Manziel in the Cotton Bowl. Dude is extremely shifty. Great runner as well, unlike RGIII. He hardly took any hits despite scrambling quite a bit.

He's a redshirt freshman, so I'm not quite willing to project his pro prospects, but from what I've seen right now I'd definitely draft him as a QB.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
Except, unlike Tebow, Manziel can actually throw the ball.

Tebow had awesome passing statistics in college too. I haven't seen enough of Manziel to have my own opinion, but I've heard plenty of people who have said he's not a NFL caliber passer.
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note (not related to the topic), why has Fran been so talkative in the last few years (probably starting with the Favre fiasco)? Vikings fans probably hadn't heard from him in over 20 years (since his retirement?) until Favre came in...now we hear something from him every few months. It's kind of odd. Has he retired from his second career, so now he has too much time on his hands? Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
On a side note (not related to the topic), why has Fran been so talkative in the last few years (probably starting with the Favre fiasco)?

he's paid to do a weekly column.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
disaacs wrote:
On a side note (not related to the topic), why has Fran been so talkative in the last few years (probably starting with the Favre fiasco)?

he's paid to do a weekly column.

Is that right? I was unaware of that. That's incredible! Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
eman9416

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Landry Jones in the 4-5th round, i think he could really develop well if given some time. He has the arm talent to make it easy, people are just worried about his pocket awareness and his confidence. He could develop into a good backup at the least. [/quote]
AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to take QB in the draft at all.

We already have our starter (Ponder) and a developmental guy (MBT); now we need a veteran backup. We have too many holes in the roster to be spending a draft pick on a position that's already filled (developmental guy).
Thanatos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eman9416 wrote:
Give me Landry Jones in the 4-5th round, i think he could really develop well if given some time. He has the arm talent to make it easy, people are just worried about his pocket awareness and his confidence. He could develop into a good backup at the least.

I like Jones that late in the draft as well. I'd also like the QB out of Duke at that late of a pick.

I was very high on BJ Coleman last year and I think he's going to become a good QB after having a good showing for Green Bay.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman Interview

Quote:
Why was the pass offense so bad?

"It's the philosophy, that when you have 28 (Adrian Peterson) in the backfield, the identity of our team is going to be tough, smart, physical, and you're not going to take the ball out of 28's hands. Our identity is playing good defense and being physical up front, utilizing Adrian Peterson. I mean, 15 years from now, I don't see Adrian Peterson doing what he's doing. He may, because he defies everything people say he can't. But I think that's what our identity is, and that's how our football team is built, and that's how we have success winning games."

Can that philosophy win you 12, 13 games? Division titles? Championships?

"I think teams have won running. But I also know, you have to make plays in the passing game. They're going to put eight, nine, 10 -- that last Green Bay game, it looked like there were 13 guys in the box. The coaches were out there, too. You still have to have that balance on offense, where you do have to make plays in the passing game. In those four games, you saw Christian (Ponder) develop and you saw our ability to make those kinds of plays."

Do you need to bring in, if not competition for Ponder, at least options for backup quarterbacks?

"We're going to go through that process starting next week. Again, we'll start evaluating each guy individually, and we start from our number one guy on our roster to the last practice squad guy on our roster. We have very thorough and unfiltered discussions on each guy, and where we see them at, and whether we see them as part of our (team) going forward. But those decisions have not been determined, because as we work through that, we'll be down at the Senior Bowl the following week, and then we work on free agency and the draft meetings. By the time we get to the combine (in late February), I have a pretty good idea of the overall plan and how we'll execute that."

How did you evaluate Ponder's first full season as the starter?

"I think you guys kind of know I look at stats, but go back and look at some of the second-year quarterbacks who are having success now, and I've told you that in the past I went and looked at Matt Ryan, where his stats were. I know he missed a couple games -- I think he only started 14 games that second year. But the Eli (Manning)s of the world, the Drew Brees of the world, and again, I think when I talked to you in the preseason or earlier I wrote down what his stats were probably going to be, and just looking at some of the stats of those guys as they progressed through their career. But you guys can do your research."

http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sPL=qa_with_vikings_gm_rick_spielman_a_real_bitter_taste_from_playoffs011013
Slapdaddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Murray will be the best QB in the class if he declares: heard it here first

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapdaddy wrote:
Aaron Murray will be the best QB in the class if he declares: heard it here first

Murray already said he's returning for his senior year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/06/georgia-aaron-murray-returning-senior-year/1812709/

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: