Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys think that Gamble would try to make a trade for Alex if he took the job with the Jets? He'd be a good fit for a power run team that could quickly get them back in to playoff contention.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
You guys think that Gamble would try to make a trade for Alex if he took the job with the Jets? He'd be a good fit for a power run team that could quickly get them back in to playoff contention.

I hope not for Alex's sake.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

Are you referring to the media or something else? Because honestly i don't think it'd be a bad place for Alex to land as far as football is concerned. They have a solid back and a pretty dang good O-Line. They could stand to add a few more weapons to the receiving corps and to their D, but it could be beneficial to both sides IMO.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

Are you referring to the media or something else? Because honestly i don't think it'd be a bad place for Alex to land as far as football is concerned. They have a solid back and a pretty dang good O-Line. They could stand to add a few more weapons to the receiving corps and to their D, but it could be beneficial to both sides IMO.

I'm referring to the coaching, the lack of weapons (Greene is okay, but who else will be there?), the dysfunctional organization. Alex can handle all the outside factors, I have no doubt, but that team is in disarray.

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

I'm referring to the coaching, the lack of weapons (Greene is okay, but who else will be there?), the dysfunctional organization. Alex can handle all the outside factors, I have no doubt, but that team is in disarray.

Santonio Homles is still guarenteed a roster spot next year after he comes back from injury. And they recently resigned Edwards, right? Alex has worked with him before. Dustin Keller isn't terrible either. There's actually probably more talent on that offense than Alex is really used to (other than these last two years). The Jets were just RAPED by injury this year and should've resigned Edwards earlier. He averaged 40 yards a game the last 3 games with the Jets and that was with nobodies like Sanchez and McElroy throwing to him. If they can come back healthy next year and maybe add a few more peices and hope Stephen Hill progresses... I mean, yeah, that's a lot of ifs, but they were still 6-10 with Sanchez as QB and all the other problems they had. Alex would definitely be an upgrade for them.

EDit- Rex Ryan does need to hire an actual OC this year though. Imagine if Alex reunited with Norv in NY. I think the Jets could conceivably turn that mess around pretty quickly if everything goes right for them.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still baffled by the fact Rex is still a head coach.

And Sanchez isn't going anywhere next year. The Jets are stuck with him. Cutting him would cost them more in cap penalty than his actual cap hit, and no team in their right mind will trade for Sanchez with that contract. So we can safely assume the Jets won't trade for Alex. Two QBs with 8 mil + guaranteed on the roster... I doubt that. Best bet is the Jets drafting a QB, sit him a year behind Sanchez, get rid of Sanchez after 2013 and then start the young guy.

If Gamble gets the Jacksonville job, though, I could see him trading for Alex.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

And Sanchez isn't going anywhere next year. The Jets are stuck with him. Cutting him would cost them more in cap penalty than his actual cap hit, and no team in their right mind will trade for Sanchez with that contract. So we can safely assume the Jets won't trade for Alex. Two QBs with 8 mil + guaranteed on the roster... I doubt that. Best bet is the Jets drafting a QB, sit him a year behind Sanchez, get rid of Sanchez after 2013 and then start the young guy.

Everything I've heard about the Jets situation tells me they're gonna let Sanchez rot on the bench rather than let him ruin another year. Rex is still a coach because he brought that team to consecutive AFC championship games, and despite his QB being the worst in the NFL and losing his best players to injury this year he still managed to win 6 games and keep his team in the play-off hunt all the way into December. Rex is a good coach. He needs to hire a better staff though. He needs to get rid of that media leak Pettine. He's good enough at defense that he could hire a figurehead DC and the D would still be good. Then he needs to hire an actual OC. Tony Sparano had never played that role in his life. That was a terrible hire. Rex wasn't the problem in NY.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Everything I've heard about the Jets situation tells me they're gonna let Sanchez rot on the bench rather than let him ruin another year. Rex is still a coach because he brought that team to consecutive AFC championship games, and despite his QB being the worst in the NFL and losing his best players to injury this year he still managed to win 6 games and keep his team in the play-off hunt all the way into December. Rex is a good coach. He needs to hire a better staff though. He needs to get rid of that media leak Pettine. He's good enough at defense that he could hire a figurehead DC and the D would still be good. Then he needs to hire an actual OC. Tony Sparano had never played that role in his life. That was a terrible hire. Rex wasn't the problem in NY.

Rex is a great football coach, no doubt. But I'm not sure he should be a head coach. He has a big mouth, but leadership isn't speaking louder than people around you. We all remember than line from Remember the Titans: "Attitude reflects leadership." He succeeded his first couple of years because he claimed to be better than anybody and his players bought into it. But once he was shown not to better than everyone, look where the leadership and attitude went. He's still a great coach when it comes to defensive Xs and Os, but once a coach loses a locker room, I don't think there's anything he can do to get it back. And I think Rex lost the locker room. He should lay low, being a DC for a few years, then have another shot. Head coaches who make it on their first try are rare. Usually, their second time around, they try not to repeat the same mistakes. Unless you're Norv Turner.

Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Rex is a great football coach, no doubt. But I'm not sure he should be a head coach. He has a big mouth, but leadership isn't speaking louder than people around you. We all remember than line from Remember the Titans: "Attitude reflects leadership." He succeeded his first couple of years because he claimed to be better than anybody and his players bought into it. But once he was shown not to better than everyone, look where the leadership and attitude went. He's still a great coach when it comes to defensive Xs and Os, but once a coach loses a locker room, I don't think there's anything he can do to get it back. And I think Rex lost the locker room. He should lay low, being a DC for a few years, then have another shot. Head coaches who make it on their first try are rare. Usually, their second time around, they try not to repeat the same mistakes. Unless you're Norv Turner.

I'm curous what you mean by "make it"? Do you mean find success or win it all (SB)? Because, if its find success he's already accomplished that. He was always a very confident coach, but he backed it up. He predicted he would win the superbowl two years in a row and in those two years he made it all the way to the AFC championship game. And that was with a rookie and sophmore Mark Sanzhez at the helm. Finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing to do as a head coach and its even harder to win without one. Once Rex finds one. Watch out. If you meant "win a superbowl" well I don't know if he'll ever do that. He's shown he can go far in the playoffs with mediocre (generous I know) QB play, but it takes more than that to win it all. If he can find his guy, there's no doubt in my mind about Rex's ability, but I question his ability to find that guy. I mean, the guy did have a hand in drafting Sanchez after all.

D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Bill Polian battled hard for Tom Gamble with the Jets and the Jets are listening, though Woody Johnson spent a lot of money hiring a firm to help him find a new GM so I'm guessing the firm will ultimately decide.

I don't think Rex lost the team, they still played hard towards the end. I think that Sanchez sucking week after week is deflating to everyone. They need a QB that won't make so many mistakes and can bring them some consistency to the position. If we can get a solid QB and a good OC, along with some offensive pieces, we can be a good team again.

Our defense is so close to returning to elite status. The LBs held them back this season, they were awful but if they can successfully rebuild them along with getting Revis back and the emergence of Wilkerson and Coples, they can get back to being great.

You guys witnessed how bad our LBs were when the 49ers exposed them big time with all those outside runs, showing how old and slow they were.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per 49erholics on my twitter Tom Gamble is the new GM of the Jets

http://49ersnews.com/2013/01/breaking-tom-gamble-to-become-jets-new-gm/

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:

Really like this. I have no attachment to Gamble, so I don't need to care for the Jets. He's in the AFC, so I don't have to worry about this move haunting us in-conference (or worse - in-division). And - the Jets already have a staff in place, so he shouldn't raid our coaching staff, just our roster leftovers, which if they're leftover clearly means we don't want (and I'm talking about training camp-cut guys as an FYI).

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith will be Released Following the season and allowed to test the Free Agent Market. So the hypothetical trade to the Jets doesn't make sense, especially when the 49ers already have multiple additional draft picks & compensatory picks coming.

It's not because they have draft picks, it's the situation. Alex Smith handled his entire career in San Francisco with class. In this particular one, he could've been a locker room distraction, but he kept quiet and professional. That's not to be dangled like a Trade Chip, it's to eventually hit Free Agency.

Look- Smith's almost fired Tom Condon last offseason. He basically drew the line in the sand and it was about self-respect. He said to Condon- If you let Peyton Manning sign here, I'm getting a New Agent.

Tom Condon, Ben Dogra, & Creative Artists Agency (CAA) dominantes your team. And to a large extent, your personnel decisions are at their mercy. Oh, and they sell your Naming Rights. Pretty good situation to be in. Sure you'll have to depart with Alex Smith & Dashon Goldson- but when that new stadium opens you'll have some unknown MARKETABLE Star. They're selling your naming rights after all.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Alex Smith will be Released Following the season and allowed to test the Free Agent Market. So the hypothetical trade to the Jets doesn't make sense, especially when the 49ers already have multiple additional draft picks & compensatory picks coming.

It's not because they have draft picks, it's the situation. Alex Smith handled his entire career in San Francisco with class. In this particular one, he could've been a locker room distraction, but he kept quiet and professional. That's not to be dangled like a Trade Chip, it's to eventually hit Free Agency.

Look- Smith's almost fired Tom Condon last offseason. He basically drew the line in the sand and it was about self-respect. He said to Condon- If you let Peyton Manning sign here, I'm getting a New Agent.

Tom Condon, Ben Dogra, & Creative Artists Agency (CAA) dominantes your team. And to a large extent, your personnel decisions are at their mercy. Oh, and they sell your Naming Rights. Pretty good situation to be in. Sure you'll have to depart with Alex Smith & Dashon Goldson- but when that new stadium opens you'll have some unknown MARKETABLE Star. They're selling your naming rights after all.

Who told you Alex would be released and not traded?

green24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

Really like this. I have no attachment to Gamble, so I don't need to care for the Jets. He's in the AFC, so I don't have to worry about this move haunting us in-conference (or worse - in-division). And - the Jets already have a staff in place, so he shouldn't raid our coaching staff, just our roster leftovers, which if they're leftover clearly means we don't want (and I'm talking about training camp-cut guys as an FYI).

We'll steal some coaches. Tony Sparano and likely Mike Pettine are gone. We may go internal for the DC position, but I expect Geep Chryst to be hired as the OC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: