Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel Reply with quote

Hey guys, Chiefs fan here. I was wondering if you guys could share any opinions on the job Tom Gamble has done while on the front office staff of the 49ers. I am curious as far as his projection as a potential GM candidate.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Hey guys, Chiefs fan here. I was wondering if you guys could share any opinions on the job Tom Gamble has done while on the front office staff of the 49ers. I am curious as far as his projection as a potential GM candidate.

Well, I thought he'd get the job here over Baalke. I remember reading a lot of great things about him, and I'm glad he stayed on our staff. But at some point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a GM job. It's hard to project how good of a job he will do. Depends on the owner, depends on what coach he can get his hands on, how bad the roster is, if and when he can find that elusive franchise QB. It's really hard to judge. But if a team wants to build a team the right way, I don't think Gamble would be a step in the wrong direction. But as just about any other job on a NFL team, success doesn't come from just one person doing his job right, but from everyone doing their jobs right.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
adamq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/12/30/3817582/gene-smith-fired-jaguars
Quote:

The Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to fire general manager Gene Smith, according to a report by Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The Jacksonville Jaguars will fire general manager Gene Smith, but the fate of coach Mike Mularkey could turn out to be in the hands of Cardinals director of player personnel Jason Licht or 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble who are the primary candidates for the team's general manager's job, according to sources.

Adios, Tom..

-kiltman
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the GM you're looking for....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading buzz in various mediums that if Gamble were to leave and take a GM job, that he would take Roman with him as his new HC. The theory is that since Chris Ault (Pistol Jedi Master and Kaep's college HC) stepped down at Nevada but still wants to coach, he would be brought in to replace Roman.

Offensive innovator Chris Ault leaves Nevada, could head to NFL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/29/offensive-innovator-chris-ault-leaves-nevada-could-head-to-nfl/

Quote:

Ault is an innovative offensive mind who created a modified shotgun offense that he calls the “pistol,” and he has a lot of admirers among the NFL coaching ranks. Those admirers include 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who traveled to Nevada to learn from Ault and has started employing a lot of Ault’s concepts in the 49ers’ offense, run by one of Ault’s former quarterbacks, Colin Kaepernick.

Gotta say, if we're gonna lose G-Ro, that would not be a bad consolation prize. Especially down the road, when LaMike takes over for Frank...

mike23md doin work on the sig!! ^^
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting. I'm not sure I'd want the pistol as our base offense though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I would either, but the Pats have showed how effective a high tempo offense can be, and with Chip Kelly likely in line to get an NFL HC job this offseason and the success of RG III, a pistol-like offense might be ahead of the trends. Perhaps a melding of Harbaugh and Ault's styles...

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
It would be interesting. I'm not sure I'd want the pistol as our base offense though.

same. but the guy is a genius, i think he could make it work

question. why would roman leave as oc here to go be an oc elsewhere? hes on a winning team with lots of talent to go to a losing team?
and isnt there a rule that we only allow guys to interview elsewhere if its a promotion?

new sig... sorry alex
RedNGoldinSoCal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

question. why would roman leave as oc here to go be an oc elsewhere? hes on a winning team with lots of talent to go to a losing team?
and isnt there a rule that we only allow guys to interview elsewhere if its a promotion?

He wouldn't. He would leave to be the Head Coach wherever Gamble went.

rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

A mix between Ault's pistol and Harbaugh's power running. Could work. It's working in Washington right now.

49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedNGoldinSoCal wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

He wouldn't. He would leave to be the Head Coach wherever Gamble went.

sorry read oc Laughing for some reason
i wouldnt be mad. but i dont think roman gets a hc job in the nfl so soon. could happen though
denvers dc got it quickly in oakland

new sig... sorry alex
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's being widely speculated Gamble is the Jets early favorite for the GM spot. Of course, we haven't heard anything about if the Jets are his favorite so far, but I'm still hopeful.

How long has he been with the Niners? I feel like he had to have learned something from the job that's been done around here.
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maiocco on his twitter said gamble interviewed with the jags and that the Jets would be next

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
It's being widely speculated Gamble is the Jets early favorite for the GM spot. Of course, we haven't heard anything about if the Jets are his favorite so far, but I'm still hopeful.

How long has he been with the Niners? I feel like he had to have learned something from the job that's been done around here.

8 years. He learned from the best... Scot McGloughan.

Edit: and the very best... Mike Nolan.

scraly47*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini

Tom Gamble, 49ers dir of player personnel, will interview this weekend with #Jets for GM job, per @MaioccoCSN. Already has met with Jax.

If he goes to nyj, less chance we lose our guys right? even though I don't mind losing roman, I wouldn't want to lose both Roman and geep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: