Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans on a slippery slope
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texantype

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Texans on a slippery slope Reply with quote

The Texans have a real problem playing against the big boys[Packers, Pats, etc.]. As a matter of fact they don't come close to having the players to keep up.
I can hear the naysayers; crucial injuries, bad luck, on and on. But this happens to winners and they don't come apart at the seams. Also they are 11-2 and are in the playoffs, which is a big plus, but are the Texan players really playoff ready. Sure hope so, because they don't look ready, to say the least.

IMO they are still weak in three areas; def. backfield, rt. side oline, and up the middle on D. To a lesser extent, but still there, is the large inconsistency of Matt Schaub. Also of course getting totally blown out twice has to be a drag on the team's morale.

Here's hoping thy will turn around and match up with the tough ones in the playoffs.

Rolling Eyes
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about the Packers and Patriots loss. Patriots dominated the Jets both time during the regular season in 2010 and when the playoffs rolled around the Jets beat them in their house.
I sure hope we come out pissed this week against the Colts because we still haven't clinched the division and the 1st seed in the AFC. If they don't want to go back to New England in the AFC title game they better take care of business the last 3 weeks of the season. If we come out slow this week, you going to hear a ton of boos from the crowd.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans on a slippery slope Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
The Texans have a real problem playing against the big boys[Packers, Pats, etc.]. As a matter of fact they don't come close to having the players to keep up.
I can hear the naysayers; crucial injuries, bad luck, on and on. But this happens to winners and they don't come apart at the seams. Also they are 11-2 and are in the playoffs, which is a big plus, but are the Texan players really playoff ready. Sure hope so, because they don't look ready, to say the least.

IMO they are still weak in three areas; def. backfield, rt. side oline, and up the middle on D. To a lesser extent, but still there, is the large inconsistency of Matt Schaub. Also of course getting totally blown out twice has to be a drag on the team's morale.

Here's hoping thy will turn around and match up with the tough ones in the playoffs.

Rolling Eyes

You and I tend to sit on different sides of the fence, but I agree 100% with you. I'm more willing to call a spade a spade, and call out Wade Phillips and his D for not being able to step up against top-tier QBs. You can escape the top tier guys in the Regular Season, but when the playoffs start, you have nothing but elite guys, and you have to play.

I also feel as if Matt Schaub presses too much when he's opposite the elite QBs - just tries to go throw for throw against 'em, presses and tries to make a big play. That's not HIS game - his game is being a very competent game manager, a boarderline elite QB. Trying to keep up with the big boys in that respect is not going to work, which is why he needs to play within his confines, do what he does against lesser QBs, which is to take what a defense gives to him and play smart football, not "hero" football.

Our only bet is to hope that someone can knock out Denver and New England before the AFCCG. I don't trust the Texans against those two teams, regardless of where the game is played.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys will be fine as long as you get rid of those hideous letter jackets. Seriously, whose idea was that? Why would you willingly make your professional organization look like a bunch of high schoolers? What an awful idea.

Once those are in the history books, your mojo shall return.

(Really though, FWIW, I think Green Bay just happened to have a really good day against y'all. They've shown they're plenty beatable. The Pats, on the other hand...)

skywindO2 wrote:
Never spit it out. Always power through it.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
I think you guys will be fine as long as you get rid of those hideous letter jackets. Seriously, whose idea was that? Why would you willingly make your professional organization look like a bunch of high schoolers? What an awful idea.

(Really though, FWIW, I think Green Bay just happened to have a really good day against y'all. They've shown they're plenty beatable. The Pats, on the other hand...)

Hideous? Joking right? Those jackets are sick. Laughing

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

I like 'em, but they bring bad mojo. We're 0-1 when we wear 'em. They need to be burned. Maybe during pre-game this Sunday.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I missed the letter jackets. Had an HOA meeting and managed to miss any scoring updates until I got home and the babysitter blurted it out. Had to sit thru 21-0 in relative fast-forward & got to skip Berman. Was reading the wife's People Magazine by the 4th Q.

I know it's all Schaub's fault, but anyone ready to acknowledge that Kubiak chokes in national TV games? Let's see that opening script. Arian right - Arian left - Arian middle - Arian middle - middle pass to Jean. Brilliant. Can anyone count how many times we ran the ball on 2nd down for no gain? How many times can one team cross the 50 with no points to show for it? 28% conversion rate on 3rd down? 5 tackles for loss on running plays? Belicheck knew the play calls before Kubiak did, folks. Let's not let Wade off either. Gee, ya think somebody might want to cover Aaron Hernandez in the Red Zone? Were those your safeties with their heads in the backfield all day with Tom Brady throwing the ball? Ya think you should have spent more time getting Brandon Harris ready instead of pluggin in your boy Alan Ball. At this rate Connor Barwin might as well convert to back to Tight End.

How many critical balls did Jean and Martin drop but at least we got our first catch from his handpicked 3rd rounder Devier Posey (now tied for 56th amongst rookie receivers). Are we really ready to blame the offense get shut down by the Pats on missing Garrett Graham????

Meanwhile, the Brandon Harris era is OVER. Gotta blame Rick Smith and his love of the U on this one. We need to stop treating him like he was a rookie pressed into service, this is a 2nd round pick that has been on the roster for 30 games now and can't hang with a street scrub like Donte Stallworth or something called a Hoomanawanui. Stallworth was less subtle stumbling out of that club in Miami as Harris was in holding onto his receivers. As bad as Harris was, Daniel Manning and Glover Quin were terrible too and we're back to gimpy bad Johnathan Joseph. Kareem just continues to prove why I will never trust him as he is more Jacques Reeves than anything as a guy who occasionally can look like a real cover corner and now even string together a few good games in a row, but the inevitable lapses are always sitting there. Sadly, I picked up Brandon Lloyd for my fantasy playoffs this week and inserted him into the lineup fully aware that he hadn't cracked 50 yards or 6 catches in the past 6 weeks, knowing that he'd get at least one easy one and he more than supported my decision.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I got that festering wound aired out, I actually think there is value to this loss. I kept thinking how grateful I was that I wasn't watching this game in January with the Texans entire season getting wiped away with one poor effort that highlighted every single problem area. The Texans truly haven't played a complete game since the Baltimore win in week 7 with the Bills win a flat effort and the Bears game a bit overhyped considering Dobbins took Cutler out and the Bears floundering a bit since. We had every right to lose the Jags & Lions games to vastly inferior teams and Tenn really is that bad. Winning tends to gloss over the flaws and foster a certain amount of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" denial.

I don't care how much some of you want to discount the Colts this week, understand that a loss likely means that we are going to Indy (a place we have NEVER won a game) in Week 17 staring at a Wild Card date. Remember they get a near bye week in between our home and home vs. the Chiefs while we get to chase MVP Adrian Peterson around and have Jared Allen lining up across from Schaub with only Ryan Harris or Andrew Gardner in between. So that still sounds pretty gloomy...

On the sunny side, Kubiak & Phillips should have full attention from here on out with nobody looking good on tape today. We can cry all we want about injuries, but it was Schaub, Foster, Myers, Manning, Quin, Joseph, Jackson, who let us down this week. How many shots did we see of AJ not even selling run two steps into a play and not managing to beat single coverage on a UDFA. Phillips needs to challenge Antonio and Barwin to step up as they've been ghosts since Chicago and frankly it may be time to get Crick and Braman in there before garbage time.

As far as I'm concerned this week ought to be all about imposing our will on the Colts in the most physical, nasty game we play all year. The headline that needs to be hung in the locker room is "Luck has run out" with a bloody and beaten Andy ready to sit out a meaningless Week 17 game and realizing that we aren't going to hand him back the division we took from them last year anytime soon. This team has gone soft on us folks, and getting humiliated on national TV needs to have us spitting venom, not licking our wounds this week.

Personally, I love a move like the Ravens announcing to all that it's Super Bowl or bust in firing Cam Cameron with a 9-4 record, and I think the Texans need to do SOMETHING to shake things up this week (add Welker's 31 yard return and penalties on nearly every return of ours to the "Fire Marciano" ledger although that won't happen until he "retires" this offseason). I know it would never happen, but I would love for Kubiak to get everyone fired up with some ridiculous show of force like opening the game with Foster and the usual lame run up the middle followed up with a tendency busting fullback option pass from Casey to Walter on 2nd when everything says another lame run off tackle - 7-0 Texans. If we're on defense first, open with an onside kick.

As much as I've ripped on the guy, I also think it's time to see what Posey has to offer as this offense desperately needs a shot in the arm. Martin has now converted 10 of 27 targets folks, for all of 85 yards. No separation. No hands. That's Bryant Johnson level production folks. Posey couldn't do worse than Jean who still looks painfully awkward out there and has that nasty habit Jacoby had of tipping balls that slap him in the hands. As far as I'm concerned Jean is a good option for fades in the back of the end zone and that's about it and these plays in the middle are begging for ints. Kubiak needs to recognize that the Colts spent their entire offseason fixing their offense while largely ignoring their defense, so if he can't beat them now, HE is the problem, not injuries with our defense.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

Lulz, they're sick if you want to look like a high school team. Perhaps they're not so hideous as they are laughable.

I don't know, seeing grown men who are professional athletes wearing letter jackets just seems funny/terrible to me.

skywindO2 wrote:
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Brandon Harris era is OVER. Gotta blame Rick Smith and his love of the U on this one. We need to stop treating him like he was a rookie pressed into service, this is a 2nd round pick that has been on the roster for 30 games now and can't hang with a street scrub like Donte Stallworth or something called a Hoomanawanui. Stallworth was less subtle stumbling out of that club in Miami as Harris was in holding onto his receivers. As bad as Harris was, Daniel Manning and Glover Quin were terrible too and we're back to gimpy bad Johnathan Joseph. Kareem just continues to prove why I will never trust him as he is more Jacques Reeves than anything as a guy who occasionally can look like a real cover corner and now even string together a few good games in a row, but the inevitable lapses are always sitting there.

Ok this is just wrong.

Yes let's give up on Harris just like you wanted to give up on Jackson. Oh, who by the way, is a top-10 CB according to your favorite website PFF. Also Jackson wasn't that bad yesterday he gave up one big catch and that was it and then showed how valuable he is making big hits on Hernandez for a TFL and Welker for incompletions. THE GUY SHUT DOWN THE BEST WR IN THE NFL other week and you say you will never trust him? Come on. News flash: No matter how good of a CB you are, you're still gonna give up plays. It's not the end of the world. And he is still growing and learning he is only in his 3rd year.

Also let's just think about this for a second. THESE ARE HARRIS' FIRST GAMES SEEING ANY ACTION. Any player in Harris' position would be victimized just as much by one the greatest QBs of all time. The fact that you are ready to give up on a player after getting him seeing PT in 2 games is just absolutely ridiculous. Give Harris time just like we gave Jackson time. Also before you say "well he has had 2 years on the roster and hasn't done anything to earn PT", I beg to differ. CB is one of the hardest positions to make a transition to the NFL. We have clearly learned from rushing Kareem Jackson, not to do that again. Also McCain was one of the best nickel CBs in the league last year, there was no reason to have Harris play. And we all know about Kubiaks and Phillips love for veterans like Ball instead of playing young guys.

Quote:
How many shots did we see of AJ not even selling run two steps into a play and not managing to beat single coverage on a UDFA.

Laughing
1. Just because you're a UDFA doesn't mean your not good. Espcially one who has been starting for 3 years now and lead the league in INTs last year. That's like every time Foster has a big game the opposing team says "how did we not stop him he's a UDFA!"
2. Did you stop watching the game after Andre burned him and then got held by him to prevent a huge gain?
3. Our star WR catching 8/10 targets and going for 95 yards in 3 quarters is not something to complain about when we lost by 28 and there are obviously bigger fish to fry. And don't even try to tell me he wasn't trying. Did you see how hard he was running ATC?
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Hope- wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

Lulz, they're sick if you want to look like a high school team. Perhaps they're not so hideous as they are laughable.

I don't know, seeing grown men who are professional athletes wearing letter jackets just seems funny/terrible to me.

It's just a jacket. Jesus Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, the Brandon Harris era is OVER. Gotta blame Rick Smith and his love of the U on this one. We need to stop treating him like he was a rookie pressed into service, this is a 2nd round pick that has been on the roster for 30 games now and can't hang with a street scrub like Donte Stallworth or something called a Hoomanawanui. Stallworth was less subtle stumbling out of that club in Miami as Harris was in holding onto his receivers. As bad as Harris was, Daniel Manning and Glover Quin were terrible too and we're back to gimpy bad Johnathan Joseph. Kareem just continues to prove why I will never trust him as he is more Jacques Reeves than anything as a guy who occasionally can look like a real cover corner and now even string together a few good games in a row, but the inevitable lapses are always sitting there.

Ok this is just wrong.

Yes let's give up on Harris just like you wanted to give up on Jackson. Oh, who by the way, is a top-10 CB according to your favorite website PFF. Also Jackson wasn't that bad yesterday he gave up one big catch and that was it and then showed how valuable he is making big hits on Hernandez for a TFL and Welker for incompletions. THE GUY SHUT DOWN THE BEST WR IN THE NFL other week and you say you will never trust him? Come on. News flash: No matter how good of a CB you are, you're still gonna give up plays. It's not the end of the world. And he is still growing and learning he is only in his 3rd year.

Also let's just think about this for a second. THESE ARE HARRIS' FIRST GAMES SEEING ANY ACTION. Any player in Harris' position would be victimized just as much by one the greatest QBs of all time. The fact that you are ready to give up on a player after getting him seeing PT in 2 games is just absolutely ridiculous. Give Harris time just like we gave Jackson time. Also before you say "well he has had 2 years on the roster and hasn't done anything to earn PT", I beg to differ. CB is one of the hardest positions to make a transition to the NFL. We have clearly learned from rushing Kareem Jackson, not to do that again. Also McCain was one of the best nickel CBs in the league last year, there was no reason to have Harris play. And we all know about Kubiaks and Phillips love for veterans like Ball instead of playing young guys.

Quote:
How many shots did we see of AJ not even selling run two steps into a play and not managing to beat single coverage on a UDFA.

Laughing
1. Just because you're a UDFA doesn't mean your not good. Espcially one who has been starting for 3 years now and lead the league in INTs last year. That's like every time Foster has a big game the opposing team says "how did we not stop him he's a UDFA!"
2. Did you stop watching the game after Andre burned him and then got held by him to prevent a huge gain?
3. Our star WR catching 8/10 targets and going for 95 yards in 3 quarters is not something to complain about when we lost by 28 and there are obviously bigger fish to fry. And don't even try to tell me he wasn't trying. Did you see how hard he was running ATC?

Marco, who the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about Dennard and Cole who should have been absolutely owned by AJ who has every possible advantage over them yet as Talib, Dennard, and Arrington each went down in one game and there was almost no impact. Meanwhile we finally stick our 2nd round CB in there after he has been stuck behind 6th rounder McCain, special teamer McManus, and finally street scrub Alan Ball and he can't cover some guy named Matthew Slater who still doesn't have an NFL reception this year (Harris mauled him to give up a gift 3rd down conversion followed 2 plays later by the first TD). Just when the Texans seemed to be figuring the Pats out for another 3 and out, Brady targets Harris' man again on 3rd and 10 to Donte Stallworth who now has 1 63 yard TD as his only reception. Do you really not see the difference between expecting your hall of fame WR to exploit a matchup against an already mediocre secondary's #3 and #4 CBs and our nickleback being able to come in and not become the instant target for street garbage WRs like Stallworth and Slater. I can handle the Texans getting beat by a guy like Aaron Hernandez or even Welker, but when you get owned by 5th and 6th options like we did, the problems are serious.

As for the coaches and Harris, look around - you are talking out your butt again. Rookies and 2nd year players are everywhere (um especially the 2 guys taken in front of him last year). They don't even want Harris on special teams as he got a penalty there last night too. Harris absolutely sucks, has since day one, is not improving, and I'm betting we see Routt and Carmichael get shots the next three weeks. If Harris is on Hilton this week, I'll mark him down for 140 yards and 2 tds and a top 5 play in fantasy.

I'm not sure what part of this you missed, but we have given up 1,345 yards thru the air in the past month and all the misguided PFF evaluations in the world won't change the fact that that makes us 2010 bad, giving up 336 yards per game which is WORST IN THE NFL. That isn't "just giving up a few plays", it's a major malfunction and your boy Kareem remains a major part of it even if he's better than the 3 behind him none of which are even NFL caliber corners. All we have learned about Kareem is that he can now be good when the best front 7 in the NFL is dominating and Pro Bowler Johnathan Joseph is healthy and neutralizing the primary threat, but he still has his head up his butt multiple plays per game and this week the Welker play where he didn't even bother to touch him after getting scorched and not just falling on a fumble inside the 5 were just the latest. This Megatron 2nd half shutdown is so overplayed because it ignores that Broyles did plenty of damage against him in the first half and that the Lions were playing with a lead the entire 2nd half and not going deep which is where Kareem is most vulnerable. I guess we should just forget about the Jacksonville game where Henne picked him and the rest of the secondary apart. Sure he has improved this year coming from being one of the worst 2 corners in the NFL in 2010, to maybe 10th worst in 2011, to now probably rising to a bottom tier #2 (mid 50's-60s overall), but he still has that Jacoby Jones factor in my book where he is always just a play away from killing us in a game losing way.

-Hope-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
-Hope- wrote:

It's just a jacket. Jesus Rolling Eyes

Exactly, which makes the fact that you're getting all upset about a little ribbing even funnier. Laughing

Relax and enjoy the fact that the Titans suck and you guys don't. I'd probably be okay with godawful lettermen's jackets if my team was 11-2. Laughing

skywindO2 wrote:
jargin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad the season isn't over yet.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
TexansFan23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling we're a slightly better version of the Atlanta Falcons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: