You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Most Disappointing NFC Championship 1998 or 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most Dissappointing NFC Championship game 1998 or 2008
61%
 61%  [ 22 ]
38%
 38%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 36

Zephiel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 4 in 1998 so I don't really remember it...

Legit cried the night of the 2009 game though.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
I was 4 in 1998 so I don't really remember it...

Legit cried the night of the 2009 game though.

I didn't cry, but I was uber pissed and disappointed

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
perrynoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy choice for me...2009 by far! Back in 1998, I had my eyes darkened, having succumbed to the Cheddar Temptation.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktarinze wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:
I have to vote 2009 because I was older and more involved with the team.

I cried in 1998 when I was 6 though Laughing

I cried when we lost in 2009 Laughing (18 by the way and have no shame admitting it)

You and me both! Very Happy. I think why the 2009 game was so frustrating was because we lost the Saints didn't win if you know what i am saying. I will give them props they had a great team and did enough to win, but we lost that game. It was ours to win more than once. 1998 was a tough one too though, it just seems to be the sad tale of the viking fans. But Ponder to the rescue....
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
ktarinze wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:

I cried when we lost in 2009 Laughing (18 by the way and have no shame admitting it)

You and me both! Very Happy. I think why the 2009 game was so frustrating was because we lost the Saints didn't win if you know what i am saying. I will give them props they had a great team and did enough to win, but we lost that game. It was ours to win more than once. 1998 was a tough one too though, it just seems to be the sad tale of the viking fans. But Ponder to the rescue....

1998 was tougher for me, feeling confident that Gary Anderson could put the team up by 10 with little time remaining just to see him miss and watch the Falcons drive the ball down the field to end the game and in over time.

The Saints game was very close, and even if Favre doesnt throw that Int at the end of the game, the team is still looking at a long field goal. I felt that the Saints did more to win that game than the Falcons did in 1998. The Falcons stole it from MN that year, the Saints were fairly equivalent to the Vikes throughout the game. I was more frustrated with the 2009 loss since the Vikings should have won if they didnt have so many turnovers but i was heart broken with the 1998 game since that team deserved to win. The 2009 team didnt given how much they beat themselves.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
ktarinze wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:

1998 was tougher for me, feeling confident that Gary Anderson could put the team up by 10 with little time remaining just to see him miss and watch the Falcons drive the ball down the field to end the game and in over time.

The Saints game was very close, and even if Favre doesnt throw that Int at the end of the game, the team is still looking at a long field goal. I felt that the Saints did more to win that game than the Falcons did in 1998. The Falcons stole it from MN that year, the Saints were fairly equivalent to the Vikes throughout the game. I was more frustrated with the 2009 loss since the Vikings should have won if they didnt have so many turnovers but i was heart broken with the 1998 game since that team deserved to win. The 2009 team didnt given how much they beat themselves.

It might not have been a long field goal if we didn't get 12 man on the field before. We could of run it and who knows maybe AD gets stuffed or he rips one for 10 yards or more, and farve had so many options on that play. He could of run or hit a wide open benard berrian. This is painful for me to relive this.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 men in the huddle, just another reason why the Vikings probably werent mentally prepared to win that game in 2009. Between 12 men in the huddle and all the turnovers, disappointed isnt the best word to describe how i felt, more like frustrated, upset and furious that more disciplined play could have gotten the team to the superbowl.

In 1998, that team controlled the Falcons most of the game and a field goal at the end of the game would have likely sealed things. I felt disappointed, heart broker, devastated.

Basically in 2009 I wanted to throw a brick through my TV, in 1998, I wanted to cry.
byuvike88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
12 men in the huddle, just another reason why the Vikings probably werent mentally prepared to win that game in 2009. Between 12 men in the huddle and all the turnovers, disappointed isnt the best word to describe how i felt, more like frustrated, upset and furious that more disciplined play could have gotten the team to the superbowl.

In 1998, that team controlled the Falcons most of the game and a field goal at the end of the game would have likely sealed things. I felt disappointed, heart broker, devastated.

Basically in 2009 I wanted to throw a brick through my TV, in 1998, I wanted to cry.

That's how i feel when i think about both of them
JMac79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
By 2009 I had been jaded by 1998,2000 and the last game of 2003. I expected to lose.

I pretty much fell into this category as well... but even accounting for that, I think '98 was the more disappointing failure. The '98 defense may not have been great and it was clearly second fiddle to the offense, but they weren't the sieve that some seem to want to paint it as; it was a good "bend but don't break" defense, and was actually pretty good at coming up with turnovers. It was a very good unit when playing with a lead, which that incredible offense nearly always gave them.

That offense caught the league by surprise, was one of the most prolific ever, and was only held in check by one of the most dominant defenses of the day (the Bucs)... and then Denny had them "playing not to lose" in the NFCC. The Falcons were a solid team, but had no business hanging with Minnesota that year if the Vikings were playing their 'A' game. A Denver-Minnesota Superbowl would have been a great one, but we let Atlanta sneak by and go on to a snoozer of a Superbowl.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's how i feel when i think about both of them

Are you guys me?

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Quote:
#Vikings H.C. Mike Zimmer: "I agree that it was a cheap shot. [Gregg Williams'] defenses are all like that."

FFMD '15 Vikings VP of Public Relations
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998. It was a home game and we were the favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byuvike88 wrote:
ktarinze wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:

And I didn't think I could feel any worse than I did when reading the title of this thread. Laughing

For me the '98 loss was far worse because we were unquestionably the best team in the league that year. That Super Bowl had our name on it.

In '09 we were also a very good team, but we were also playing on the road and we were 3 point underdogs IIRC. In '98 we were 12 point favorites playing in our own dome.

Nothing in all my years as a sports fan was ever as bad as '98. Even the Super Bowl losses were easier to take for some reason, I guess it was because I was so sure it was finally our year and we were once again given the bird by the fickle finger of fate. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both teams did their best to give the game away. 1998 Vikings were the better, more explosive team. 2009 was more balanced, but the 1998 Vikings were destroying playoff-caliber teams like the Jags, Packers, Cowboys. Falcons barely made it to the NFCCG (49ers lost Garrison Hearst at the beginning of the game, and was one play away from winning the game).

1998 was more depressing, 2009 made you want to shake your head, and 2000 makes you want to laugh (Vikings had no business getting that far).
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktarinze wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
byuvike88 wrote:
ktarinze wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:

It might not have been a long field goal if we didn't get 12 man on the field before. We could of run it and who knows maybe AD gets stuffed or he rips one for 10 yards or more, and farve had so many options on that play. He could of run or hit a wide open benard berrian. This is painful for me to relive this.

If I remember correctly, had we not run that last play at all, Longwell would have been looking at a 53-yard field goal. Not an easy kick, but not that long in a dome either, and I remember feeling great when we were in that position because I have always trusted Longwell to make pressure kicks. I truly feel he would have nailed it if he had a crack at it right then and there. I still would have ran the ball after the 12th-man penalty, too, and then let Longwell boot one from whatever distance.

Peppers90 on the sig.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: