Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Cam talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Random Cam talk Reply with quote

A lot was made of Cam's play earlier in the season, which to be fair, was disappointing. Turning the ball over was a problem and people didn't think he was taking the next step.

He's currently on pace to have about the same statistics as last year. Some minor variations with less TDs but overall there is nothing to say he regressed or took a major step forward.

When you look at his game logs, I noticed some things that I think signal an improvement:

1. Since the Giants game, he has 20 total TDs and 5 INTs.

The recent stretch of four games helps tremendously. Before this, he'd only gone two games without an interception. The key is that he's not simply playing it safe. Cam is still gunning it. If anything, he's left at least two TDs on the field in his hot stretch (LaFell and Murphy).

We knew the potential was there, but we're starting to see the evidence that Cam can play at a high level for multiple games in a row. In today's NFL, that's a big part of winning championships.

2. His worst games most come against the best defenses they've played.

Look at all his worst games this season: Seattle, New York, Dallas, Chicago, Tampa Bay and Denver.

4/6 of those teams have a top ten passing defense, the exceptions being NYG and Tampa. Without a run game to help him against these strong defenses, it's not surprising that the young QB has had issues against the league's best. Cam had 85% of the offense's production against Atlanta. That's phenomenal but the offense needs more balance to beat top defenses.

3. Less games with interceptions than people think.

Reducing the amount of interceptions is crucial, but it's also important to reduce the number of games with a pick. He's thrown interceptions in five games so far, last year it was nine. He's still got a few more games so hopefully he keeps his recent play up. He's our playmaker, but he also has to be responsible and keep us in games and he's looking like he gets that.

Basically, I think Newton was slumping. I think he was feeling the pressure and the consequences of losing. He didn't have a short enough memory and it effected his play. He still makes us groan when he misses an open guy but what's different is he isn't sulking on those misses. He's moving on to the next play. Not only does that help him, it helps his teammates.

Still, his team needs to start winning because that is ultimately the bottom line for a QB. But the fact that the Panthers are 2-2 during his hot streak says something about how much he is carrying the team.

______

TL;DR

1. 20 TDs, 5 INTs since week three
2. His worst games have been against top ten defenses
3. He's thrown picks in 5 games
4. Cam's getting better at weathering the game's highs and lows
faccda01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good observations. I agree with what you're saying. I think he's definitely on an upswing, and hopefully continues this way the rest of the year.

I think adding another playmaking WR would be great next year, as well as upgrades across the OL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome write up. It's a lot of good information in there.

I think people are hating on Cam like they do because the team as a whole has not done better, also the fact that Cam does have an arrogance and maturity issues.

There was high expectations for this team, a wild card even. Cam has improved this year, while the record does not indicate that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faccda01 wrote:
Good observations. I agree with what you're saying. I think he's definitely on an upswing, and hopefully continues this way the rest of the year.

I think adding another playmaking WR would be great next year, as well as upgrades across the OL.

Yessir, I really can't wait for the offseason/draft we need to pile up some picks between OL, D, and playmakers.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
hudson3010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a huge fan of cam and agree with most of what you said

Just dont count rushing production (tds or yards) because in the long run it just gets a qb injured

For the sake of our franchise, cam has to be a pocket passer that only run eventually

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he not really already that? I mean we do some option but for the most part, he only runs when it is a necessity or when there is an easy lane for a first (and even then, he oddly doesn't run).

I'm not worried about him getting injured. Not only does he have great change of direction to go along with the intelligence to fall down instead of trying to truck through defenders, he's a powerful individual and is 250-260lbs of pure muscle. Truly a magnificent athlete.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: