Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kai Forbath appreciation-- AGAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23242
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at ESPN's kickoff coverage stats and we're distinctly middle of the pack in term of average returns at something like 23.6. When you figure most of Killer Kai's kicks land right around the goal-line I really don't think we're getting killed field position wise.
_________________


Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63131
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I was looking at ESPN's kickoff coverage stats and we're distinctly middle of the pack in term of average returns at something like 23.6. When you figure most of Killer Kai's kicks land right around the goal-line I really don't think we're getting killed field position wise.
before him though Cundiff kicked almost everything through the endzone
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bowilson11


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I was looking at ESPN's kickoff coverage stats and we're distinctly middle of the pack in term of average returns at something like 23.6. When you figure most of Killer Kai's kicks land right around the goal-line I really don't think we're getting killed field position wise.
before him though Cundiff kicked almost everything through the endzone
Yes he did, but Cundiff was a HORRIBLE FG Kicker. He was shaky at best and missed a lot of medium range kicks that could have been difference makers for us. Forbath is the FG Kicker we need. I'm not stressed about him not kicking the ball out the End Zone. Plus, the NFL is considering doing away with Kickoffs anyways because of concussions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3877
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson11 wrote:
Yes he did, but Cundiff was a HORRIBLE FG Kicker. He was shaky at best and missed a lot of medium range kicks that could have been difference makers for us. Forbath is the FG Kicker we need. I'm not stressed about him not kicking the ball out the End Zone. Plus, the NFL is considering doing away with Kickoffs anyways because of concussions.


Very interesting dynamic there. If everyone starts on the 20, the Punter becomes a crucial player. No more "good field position" on starting drives... interesssting
_________________
A-A-R [italic][bold]Baker, Geathers, Kearse, Miller, Cofield 1513 LB Wrecking Crew[/bold][/italic]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63131
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowilson11 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I was looking at ESPN's kickoff coverage stats and we're distinctly middle of the pack in term of average returns at something like 23.6. When you figure most of Killer Kai's kicks land right around the goal-line I really don't think we're getting killed field position wise.
before him though Cundiff kicked almost everything through the endzone
Yes he did, but Cundiff was a HORRIBLE FG Kicker. He was shaky at best and missed a lot of medium range kicks that could have been difference makers for us. Forbath is the FG Kicker we need. I'm not stressed about him not kicking the ball out the End Zone. Plus, the NFL is considering doing away with Kickoffs anyways because of concussions.
yeah I know Cundiff was as inconsistent as a kicker as Gano was but my point was about our average of returns given up. I was talking about knockoffs in response to Jeezy's point about Kai's kickoffs.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63131
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
bowilson11 wrote:
Yes he did, but Cundiff was a HORRIBLE FG Kicker. He was shaky at best and missed a lot of medium range kicks that could have been difference makers for us. Forbath is the FG Kicker we need. I'm not stressed about him not kicking the ball out the End Zone. Plus, the NFL is considering doing away with Kickoffs anyways because of concussions.


Very interesting dynamic there. If everyone starts on the 20, the Punter becomes a crucial player. No more "good field position" on starting drives... interesssting
here is an interesting dynamic I just thought about while taking my morning crap, with the current kick off rule and if they changed the rule to everyone just starts on the 20.

What they did and would be doing essentially is created more hits for the starters, for the guys who actually play all the plays but some special teams plays.

Here is my rationale:

Back ups play special teams for the most part. This is a play that the starters (for the most part) don't have to be out there. By making it so there are almost never returns (currently) or never returns (in the future). That creates more plays for starters who are the ones mostly affected by hits to the head and play almost all snaps. They almost always have to go 80 yards now and would in the future that more often than not means more plays and more hits to the head for the starters.

Currently and definitely in the past- a kickoff would take time off the clock and gain 30, 40, 50+ yards. That created less plays for the starters and less plays that they could take hits to the head.

Anyone follow me on this?
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23242
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda feel like instead of entirely doing away with kickoffs, why not just move the touchback up to discourage teams from returning kicks. Like for example, of the touchback was moved to the 25 or 30, it'd be harder for teams to gain that field position returning and they'd be more inclined to take the knee, preventing injuries. With that said, the element would still be there if a team needed a big play of an onside kick or the like.
_________________


Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63131
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I kinda feel like instead of entirely doing away with kickoffs, why not just move the touchback up to discourage teams from returning kicks. Like for example, of the touchback was moved to the 25 or 30, it'd be harder for teams to gain that field position returning and they'd be more inclined to take the knee, preventing injuries. With that said, the element would still be there if a team needed a big play of an onside kick or the like.
i like it Jeezy! Where do I sign? Wink Cool

Where do we get God-dell's email to run it by them? Laughing
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 3819
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I kinda feel like instead of entirely doing away with kickoffs, why not just move the touchback up to discourage teams from returning kicks. Like for example, of the touchback was moved to the 25 or 30, it'd be harder for teams to gain that field position returning and they'd be more inclined to take the knee, preventing injuries. With that said, the element would still be there if a team needed a big play of an onside kick or the like.


Well-- seems that then makes the kickers try to land the ball between ,,say the 5 yd line and the goal to force a return hoping to stop them short of the automatic line of 25 or 30.. so back to the same problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 3877
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:
I kinda feel like instead of entirely doing away with kickoffs, why not just move the touchback up to discourage teams from returning kicks. Like for example, of the touchback was moved to the 25 or 30, it'd be harder for teams to gain that field position returning and they'd be more inclined to take the knee, preventing injuries. With that said, the element would still be there if a team needed a big play of an onside kick or the like.


I like it! And good point about the onside kicks---I like the 25yl idea not the 30-- for the reason RskinGM said... but I saw the P doing that kicking near the Goal in my head, not the K, but the P would be the K in our scenario however Mad Mad Mad
_________________
A-A-R [italic][bold]Baker, Geathers, Kearse, Miller, Cofield 1513 LB Wrecking Crew[/bold][/italic]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group