Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you fire Ireland?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should S. Ross Fire Jeff Ireland?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 29

TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't fire Jeff Ireland after this season, no. But if we don't go after some much needed weapons for Tannehill, he should be gone.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Pierrot35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that we have all this cap space provided Ireland lack of success with free agent signings does not sound like good news to me.

The reason why he has so much cap space is because he did not sign any of his draft picks during the year. If you had great players to start with you would not let them walk and exposed them to the market.

How many playmakers in the soon to be free agent list for Miami?

How many holes do we need to plug after 5 years of Ireland regime making the picks?

I also don't understand how he gets a pass the first 3 years, and Parcells should take all the blame, while he gets credit for Starks & Wake ( the rest of the FA list is dismal at best).

My point is simply that now is the chance to move forward and finally get out of this terrible slump (cap space and picks available). I do not trust Ireland to do the job, and I hope that Ross feels the same way. I also think there are too many holes to fill and we are looking at 2 years minimum to be relevant.

If I am not mistaken Ross overruled Ireand on the hiring of Philbin?

Fisher would not work with Ireland correct?

Maybe it is time ot get a GM working in sync with the head coach? Obviously it has not been the case here for quite some times (let us remember the Harbaugh debacle one more time)l.

Let us see how Ross feels about another year where he has to pay to lift blackouts in a market totally discouraged by years of poor performances....if not decades!

We deserve better than this terrible display of incompetence resulting in poor teams being fielded year in and year out. I have been a fan for 40 years people and I am really really tired if it. Get me a top notch GM and let's go for &*&*( sake!
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not out of the realm of possibility that the reason no one was re-signed by Ireland this season was that Ross told him not to sign anyone else. Ross may already have decided that Ireland's time has past and he may be wanting cap space for a new GM to come in and make decisions. In fact, Ross could already have someone picked out, if you go off how he pursued a coach before Sparano was gone.

As for the cap space and draft picks, I am elated that we have a chance to add a lot of talent, but we are also set to lose a lot and personally, i don't have much faith in Ireland to make the right choices with those draft picks.

IF Ireland is to be fired, I would expect it will come as soon as the Monday after the season ends for the Dolphins. If Ross is smart and is going to fire him, it would make sense to give a new GM as much time before the draft in Miami as possible.

With all that said, I expect that Ireland will be back next year, but I don't think its a lock.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierrot35 wrote:
The fact that we have all this cap space provided Ireland lack of success with free agent signings does not sound like good news to me.

The reason why he has so much cap space is because he did not sign any of his draft picks during the year. If you had great players to start with you would not let them walk and exposed them to the market.

How many playmakers in the soon to be free agent list for Miami?

How many holes do we need to plug after 5 years of Ireland regime making the picks?

I also don't understand how he gets a pass the first 3 years, and Parcells should take all the blame, while he gets credit for Starks & Wake ( the rest of the FA list is dismal at best).

My point is simply that now is the chance to move forward and finally get out of this terrible slump (cap space and picks available). I do not trust Ireland to do the job, and I hope that Ross feels the same way. I also think there are too many holes to fill and we are looking at 2 years minimum to be relevant.

If I am not mistaken Ross overruled Ireand on the hiring of Philbin?

Fisher would not work with Ireland correct?

Maybe it is time ot get a GM working in sync with the head coach? Obviously it has not been the case here for quite some times (let us remember the Harbaugh debacle one more time)l.

Let us see how Ross feels about another year where he has to pay to lift blackouts in a market totally discouraged by years of poor performances....if not decades!

We deserve better than this terrible display of incompetence resulting in poor teams being fielded year in and year out. I have been a fan for 40 years people and I am really really tired if it. Get me a top notch GM and let's go for &*&*( sake!

There are a couple of factors here that make your standpoint solid.

1. His contract does not extend past this season and no negotiations or endorsements have come out in the media to this point.

2. It's also possible that after the Anthony Armstrong phase and with all the other WRs let go, Philbin may not trust this guy to evaluate and bring in talent that fits.

3. Now this part is my opinion. But doing NOTHING about Jake Long was as irritating as standing in line at the grocery store in front of a parent who has a screaming child. And they choose now to implement the "I'm ignoring you" method. We could have gotten a WR, TE or both for JAke Long while he still had on his cape. Now he's back to clark kent and everybody knows it.

4. Merc mentioned some guys that sounded pretty good to me.

5. As far as my opinion goes. Ireland lost me completely with the Dez Bryant incident. So it's not like i'm a supporter. I'm more a supporter of consistency. Especially if it allows Philbin to continue as HC. But if that can happen with a guy at GM that Philbin trusts, I'm on board.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Daryl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see JI being crucified for not finding a QB fast enough. How many coaches and GMs before him never found one period? I count five coaches each Saban, JJ, Wanny, & Sparano. So he is being crucified fir something that no one has done since Marino oh lord yeah he's terrible!

It's the same ol same everyone Hated Wayne Huizenga said he was a horrible owner, cheap blah blah blah Ross buys the squad oh he sucks bring back Wayne. We just can never be loyal or patient can we? This team has been mediocre for two plus decades, does anyone else care to build for the long term and not change coaches n GMs like underwear? SMDH
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
When was the last time the Fins had the following:

A young qb that you can start to build around
Cap room (45+ mill)
Picks - 5? in the first 3 rounds

Now whether he lasts or not, whomever is taking the position is coming into to a pretty good spot. So at the very least Ireland will get credit for pushing the Fins in the right direction.

You can't fault him for that. Now if he whiffs on Free Agency and the draft, then I can see him being let go. But it won't be because of the structure of his strategy. It will be because of scouting and ultimately him pulling the trigger this offseason.

Lets just say if he were close to cap hell, no real picks besides our own and a 6-10 team I may have a different stance.

Now the question, can he hit on the offseason. If he does well, this team will make the playoffs. If not, he probably loses his job. Pretty simple.

I do not know the last time Miami had 45M in cap but I can recall a few years ago when they had a young qb that you could build around. His name was Chad Henne. Look, you guys can say what you want about Henne, but many of you thought he was "it" when Pennington got hurt.. He showed the same flashes as Tanney. I wish this site was easier to retrieve archived threads back when Henne became the starter. The posts were similar to what many of you are writing now about Tanney.

Another thing, I am not one of those guys who likes having all this cap room. That creates the opportunity for some stupid decisions like....oh yeah, giving a often injured offensive lineman a lucrative contract. Miami needs to resolve their pass protection woes and getting a #1WR target. Dwayne Bowe comes to mind. Get me him and draft speed in Tavon Austin. That is how you find out if Tanney is the truth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: