Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you fire Ireland?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should S. Ross Fire Jeff Ireland?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 29

Author Message
Russ57


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 684
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm forced to be honest I'd say I'm less inclined to fire him this second than I was a couple/few years ago. If we can say he is responsible for Philbin and Tannehill maybe he is coming along.

Personally I don't think a new GM equates to "starting all over". You just need to find someone with the same vision as the coaching staff. Someone that agrees on how we move from where we are to where we want to be.

So yes, I'd fire Ireland....but only if we could find a GM with a proven track record and Philbin and him agreed on a game plan together. Otherwise I stand pat...much as I hate to say it.

I will say that I think this next draft sets the table for the dolphins future for a few years so we need to get it right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pierrot35


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 1238
Location: Daveluyville, Québec, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
If I'm forced to be honest I'd say I'm less inclined to fire him this second than I was a couple/few years ago. If we can say he is responsible for Philbin and Tannehill maybe he is coming along.

Personally I don't think a new GM equates to "starting all over". You just need to find someone with the same vision as the coaching staff. Someone that agrees on how we move from where we are to where we want to be.

So yes, I'd fire Ireland....but only if we could find a GM with a proven track record and Philbin and him agreed on a game plan together. Otherwise I stand pat...much as I hate to say it.

I will say that I think this next draft sets the table for the dolphins future for a few years so we need to get it right.


This is the way I would go as well. Basically I would poach the Green Bay staff to find somebody which can work with Philbin to move the team forward.

Philbin was told last year not to touch coaches and management as he was coming to Miami. I do not see this happening in 2013 if Philbin was to take a larger role in managing the roster.
_________________
I am so sick of losing against good teams!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets so old. Every year. Guy has been here two drafts and it is Fireland again. Its high, its low. Go read notes from preseason, to week 4 and its he's doing a great job, now its Fireland. Laughing

I would give him one more year, at least. Continuity is how good teams get great. No way can you blame him, in fact he has made some good moves. Brandon Marshall was never going to lead this team anywhere. He is Ricky W part II. He is one incident away from wrecking a season. No way can you invest in that.

Ireland addressed the QB position. Gotta give it time. Some media will undermine the development of RTann by saying he isn't getting the 'kill'. Its a joke. The same media guy will actually say good qb's make other around them better. See no further than Hartline and Bess. Both will probably get 1,000 yards seasons. Something neither has done in his career. RTann seems to have no problem leading the team down the field, its the redzone where the issues begin. Drew Brees is one of the best qbs in the league and he has led his team to a 5-8 record. Its not just the qb. How many turnovers or impact plays has the D made? Not many.

IF Ireland has a plan, he should be able to stick to it for at least one more season. He has carry over money, draft picks, a young qb and some good young pieces on the table. Not sure what he does with Jake Long but regardless Jake will either be here or we should get a nice compensation pick for him.

If you look at the other GM's around the league, no one hits on every pick. In my 25+ years of watching this great game I can honestly say I don't think any one of the gm's really have a clue on what they are doing. Sure there are some can't misses, but even they miss.

I just know that a new GM could mean new coach and new coach could mean new qb and so goes the carousel. Another rebuild with another gm/coach and another scheme that we probably had 3 years ago in place and those players that fit are long gone. And now we need them back.

If you want to see that go outside, wrap a steak around the end of your dogs tail and watch him try to get it. It will be much more fun.

I would rather give Philbin and Ryan T a chance together next season with a few added pieces. This team has lost about 4 games they had a shot to win. By my math that puts us at 9 wins and in the thick of the division title.

Please remember there are two teams and both get paid. Ireland has done nothing to warrant being replaced. And unless there is a Bill Parcells....oops already did that, ready to come in, what is the point.

2011
1. Pouncey
2. D. Thomas
6. Clay
7. Wilson

Not bad, not sexy. No 3rd, no 5th.

2012
1. Tannehill - read this from Todd Mcshay.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1164916-miami-dolphins-draft-2012-reacting-to-all-nine-draft-picks#/articles/1164916-miami-dolphins-draft-2012-reacting-to-all-nine-draft-picks/page/2 - no patience here though.
2. Martin - some like em, some don't. We'll have to see if he is the answer to Jake or becomes a good RT.
3. O. Vernon - I like this as he has been a ST beast and they can let him 'grow up' to become a pass rush specialist.
3. Egnew - this was the one pick I hoped would work out. He has one more season before it should be ruled a bust.
4. Miller - lets see.
5. Kaddu
6. Cunningham
7. Randall - a solid run stopper. Could be a rotational guy for when Starks leaves.
7. Matthews - a project that is seeing the field.

I would say this isn't terrible. If you get a starting QB, LT and one other contibutor in this draft I don't think Ireland failed.

I would vote for continuity. I believe in Philbin, I believe in Ryan Tannehill. I am tired of seeing the musical chairs movie. Why can't we do something different and just keep it status quo for another season. Ireland can turn this offensive explosive with the cap money and the Free Agents potentially available.

So far changing Front Offices every 2-3 seasons has us 1 div title and not much else.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing some would trade a 2nd for Kirk Cousins. Just like Matt Flynn was the next one. Yet he can't start in Seattle.

The Fins have the WORST recieving core in the league and that shouldn't be debateable. TE is the bottom 5 in the league. Reggie may get 1,000 yards. And you think RTann can excel with this?

Those guys aren't Irelands 'guys'.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judson49


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: London
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
I'm guessing some would trade a 2nd for Kirk Cousins. Just like Matt Flynn was the next one. Yet he can't start in Seattle.

The Fins have the WORST recieving core in the league and that shouldn't be debateable. TE is the bottom 5 in the league. Reggie may get 1,000 yards. And you think RTann can excel with this?

Those guys aren't Irelands 'guys'.


So who you think he's going to go get? Clearly he can't be criticised for the team having an awful receiving corps & TE's, thats a given. It was a smart move him offering Matt Flynn that contract too. Obvious he'd turn it down for that money, it was almost as clever as not offering him a contract at all, but that would have been dumb. Alex Smith too.

Yeah, now I think about it, Tannehill is a good looking prospect & once Ireland was done with Manning, Flynn, Smith & Garrard's knee blew out, his pick (who had nothing to do with Sherman) turned out alright.

I'm still bit shocked Naane didn't light it up. But I'm sure if Jeff gets more time he'll probably go get Mike Wallace or Larry Fitzgerald or somebody.

If we time it just right we can really drill down on Jake Long & Cameron Wake's time in Miami, make it so their Dolphins careers really count for squat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly Ireland head butting 85s wife wrecked his time in Miami.

And trading Vontae was the dumbest move ever. I mean who trades a pro bowl CB away??

And switching to a more modern offense with a coach who was the OC for one of the best qbs in the league was a poor choice.

Clearly this archaic mind needs to be replaced. I mean the guy missed two game winning FGs that could have given this team huge momentum.

Ya Fireland is the smart way to go. Lets start over.

Cause telling the vets on this club, and free agents, that we are rebuilding is sending the right message.

Clearly Ireland is the problem.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2240
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how the hell are we not averaging more points with a first year system in place with first year coaches and players? This is the irrational/Madden side of the fanbase. The play to play group. The guys that can land the first overall pick for Odrick and sign Manning as the backup kind of fan. The kind that lets Long walk only to sign a new coach who wants balance with a good ground game...and then go after a guy like Long.

How was it that this fanbase was happy to take RTan knowing it would take time for him to reach his potential. But 13 games in its time to throw the baby out with the bath water? Change has gotten this franchise nowhere. Proven for the past 15 years.

Let's keep the wheels spinning and the girls grinning, right fellas Wink
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cddolphin


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 6387
Location: Gainesville, FL
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't deserve to be fired yet. He's had 3 drafts I think? Give him a couple more.

This upcoming draft / FA is pivotal. We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and a ton of cap room.
_________________
Maddogg wrote:
Also, Joe Philbin denies knowing who won the presidential election in 2012 because as quoted "I don't go anywhere where people talk about anything."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't fire Ireland....yet.

This is finally his team.....gone are the remnants of the Parcell era and this off season was truly his first in which he could build the team he wants to build. He has his coach, his QB and the reigns. Do I agree with every decision he's made.....no, and it doesn't matter who is GM.....they are all going to be decisions we question. Brandon Marshall seems to be a sticking point for some, but how different would everyone feel if Egnew took the league by storm? While the Egnew situation did not happen I am not going to fault the guy for taking a chance. Marshall has been solid in Chi town, but he is also the type of player that can browbeat a QB into focusing on him only....not something anyone wants for rookie QB who is learning on the Job.

I say he has at least two more off-seasons....if the team is not contending for the AFC east at that point and making the playoffs then it will be time for him to go, but for right now I want to see what he can do when he actually something (and someone) to build with.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphinologist


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 5564
Location: New York
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's my take on this:

A huge statement was made when the last house cleaning was done. That was the time to decide whether or not to fire a GM. Not after the Jacksonville game's results are posted.
Once you decided to rid the franchise of all that ails it, but the GM remained, you told the public that you didn't believe he was a problem.
So the same clean slate you give the new coach and 1st round QB has to go to the GM as well. Because by not firing him with Sporano and that staff, you by default gave him that slate anyway. And so far we have a coach we like, a QB we like, an offensive system we like and a future we are excited about.
Those are not "fire the GM" circumstances.

I keep telling people that if we haven't entered the 2nd week of the playoffs we need to stop looking at this franchise on a season by season basis, because you'll be firing everybody in every offseason. A team with a rookie QB w/ new HC and OC is rebuilding .... we have newly installed offensive and defensive systems. Live with the 5 games we won and the tough hard fought games we lost. Use it to know that with continuity we can progress from there.

All that other stuff about Tannehill's accuracy and pocket presence is news to me. I've recorded, re-wound and asked about it .... Accuracy (as far as ball placement) and pocket presence are his strengths. This was addressed when we found out that they practice blitz recognition and blitz plays repeatedly in practice. He's good in the pocket and his ball placement is where it should be.

So ultimately I say let's let the chef cook ... let's get everybody at their natural positions. Lets get the offensive line cohesive and we'll go from there. Don't donald trump the situation.
_________________


Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clutch


Joined: 04 Nov 2004
Posts: 2240
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there doesn't seem to be a contract on this team that is 'tying our hands'. If Jeff had signed some average players to bad deals then I could see there could be some trust issues with him at the controls. But so far, he seems to be doing the right thing.

As i pointed out, as much as the offense pains me to watch, our D has 1 turnover in 6 games. LB core is below average, Clemons is below average and the front 4 can't get pressure on their own. I think we maybe further away than I first thought.

In saying that, you can't build rome in a day. I would hope by the end of Free Agency and the draft that this team will have added 5 good/great players. I know it is optimistic but we probably need 3 on offense and another 2 on defense, just to contend for a playoff spot. If you want to compete for a division, we are probably 7-8 good/great players away.

2-3 olineman
3 WR/TE
1-2 LB, at least
1 CB/FS.

Before shredding me on the LB comments. Go look. 7 sacks combined. 3 forced fumbles, no fumbles recovered and no ints. Of those stats, Misi has 4 sacks and 3 Forced Fumbles.

Dansby may finish with 120 tackles but between he and Burnett, there ain't much else there. And when the topic comes up, those two seem to get a pass and the question mark is Misi.

Some will take Jake to task on his play because of his massive salary. Well the two Free Agent LB's aren't providing much of anything. And if you want to throw in the coverage of the TE, do the research. Tenn - Cook, Indy, NYJ, Cincy, NE all beat Miami.

For me, if offense is a priority in the draft, defense needs to be a priority in free agency. Our LB's maybe one of the worst units in the game at providing big plays. Gamechanging plays.

Sorry to those who I have discussed this with before. But it needs to be said to the fans who hold players accountable who are basing play on cheque size.
_________________
- "Who, I love Rich Camarillo." Quote from the Fish's play by play crew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12788
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a point in fact, Jeff Ireland has been the GM for the Dolphins since January 2008, and has been in Miami for 5 drafts, not 2.

The Dolphins have SUCKED wind for as long as he has been at the helm. Say what you want about him, but the team has not gotten better. They may be happy with the QB they just drafted, but for 5 years now Ireland has had this team sinking or at the very best, treading water.

If they want to give him another year, fine. I will be a fan of the Dolphins LONG after Ireland is gone. And trust me, he will be gone. He has worked for the Chiefs, Cowboys and the Dolphins and from what I've seen, each team has gotten a little worse after his arrival. Now, apparently, he is "free of the shackles of Parcells" and for some unknown reason, our fans want to stick with him. Well, again, fine. I have the utmost confidence that he will be gone soon. The Dolphins will not win a playoff game with him at the helm. Mark it in stone.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judson49


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: London
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
And there doesn't seem to be a contract on this team that is 'tying our hands'. If Jeff had signed some average players to bad deals then I could see there could be some trust issues with him at the controls. But so far, he seems to be doing the right thing.

As i pointed out, as much as the offense pains me to watch, our D has 1 turnover in 6 games. LB core is below average, Clemons is below average and the front 4 can't get pressure on their own. I think we maybe further away than I first thought.

In saying that, you can't build rome in a day. I would hope by the end of Free Agency and the draft that this team will have added 5 good/great players. I know it is optimistic but we probably need 3 on offense and another 2 on defense, just to contend for a playoff spot. If you want to compete for a division, we are probably 7-8 good/great players away.

2-3 olineman
3 WR/TE
1-2 LB, at least
1 CB/FS.

Before shredding me on the LB comments. Go look. 7 sacks combined. 3 forced fumbles, no fumbles recovered and no ints. Of those stats, Misi has 4 sacks and 3 Forced Fumbles.

Dansby may finish with 120 tackles but between he and Burnett, there ain't much else there. And when the topic comes up, those two seem to get a pass and the question mark is Misi.

Some will take Jake to task on his play because of his massive salary. Well the two Free Agent LB's aren't providing much of anything. And if you want to throw in the coverage of the TE, do the research. Tenn - Cook, Indy, NYJ, Cincy, NE all beat Miami.

For me, if offense is a priority in the draft, defense needs to be a priority in free agency. Our LB's maybe one of the worst units in the game at providing big plays. Gamechanging plays.

Sorry to those who I have discussed this with before. But it needs to be said to the fans who hold players accountable who are basing play on cheque size.


Clutch, I'm really confused by your stance here & in your previous posts. You (quite rightly) point out the underwhelming mediocrity of the personnel & how we have below average talent all over the field, yet you seem to reject outright the concept that the talent evaluator acquiring the players is not doing his job well and he deserves to draft & sign more players.

I'm with Merc on this 100%. I would so love to be wrong, but I have seen zero evidence that Jeff Ireland is going to improve this team. The idea of him taking charge of this next draft where we are more loaded with picks than usual is quite disturbing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireland may have been on staff for five seasons, but he has only truly called the shots for two of them. The reason most people blame Ireland I feel is because they don't know better. Miami fans are all the same, when the Heat struggle the first reaction is immediately "Fire Spo," when the Marlins struggle someone has to get fired (though in this case it is truly appropriate to call for Loria to sell.) When the Dolphins struggle it is "Fire everyone." I just hate the stigma in the sports that firing someone is going to make that big of a difference. Continuity and letting a head coach/GM tandem build a roster is what leads to success in the NFL. Philbin at this point appears to be at least competent and have a defined plan. Ireland and him appear to work pretty well together. Let them stay together for the full 3 seasons. After 3 seasons if the Dolphins have a playoff caliber roster than Ireland stays, if the Dolphins are excelling in player development and QB development as well as winning on the field Philbin stays. After 3 season together you know if Tannehill is worthy of being an NFL starter. If they aren't working (or take a MAMMOTH) step back in year two, then you blow it up. For now, Miami fans need to man up and deal with it.

I honestly blame most of the Ireland hate on that WAARF faction. Creative and funny name, but they are as bad as Jets fans mostly.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judson49


Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 633
Location: London
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Ireland may have been on staff for five seasons, but he has only truly called the shots for two of them. The reason most people blame Ireland I feel is because they don't know better. Miami fans are all the same, when the Heat struggle the first reaction is immediately "Fire Spo," when the Marlins struggle someone has to get fired (though in this case it is truly appropriate to call for Loria to sell.) When the Dolphins struggle it is "Fire everyone." I just hate the stigma in the sports that firing someone is going to make that big of a difference. Continuity and letting a head coach/GM tandem build a roster is what leads to success in the NFL. Philbin at this point appears to be at least competent and have a defined plan. Ireland and him appear to work pretty well together. Let them stay together for the full 3 seasons. After 3 seasons if the Dolphins have a playoff caliber roster than Ireland stays, if the Dolphins are excelling in player development and QB development as well as winning on the field Philbin stays. After 3 season together you know if Tannehill is worthy of being an NFL starter. If they aren't working (or take a MAMMOTH) step back in year two, then you blow it up. For now, Miami fans need to man up and deal with it.

I honestly blame most of the Ireland hate on that WAARF faction. Creative and funny name, but they are as bad as Jets fans mostly.


Can I just say in response to this that I also seriously dislike the inevitable & predictable assumption that people that want rid of Ireland have put no thought into it and are essentially retarded sheep who just puke out the first thing they can think of.

As far I'm aware, no one here has mentioned "blowing it up" & "firing everyone". Philbin & Tannehill have my full approval, they need help, they need talent. I do not see any reason why anyone would expect Jeff Ireland to provide that, he's failed to do so for 5 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group