Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Culliver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
straighthate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Culliver Reply with quote

He has amazing moments and then some bad ones, but overall looks to be developing into a shutdown corner. He had some huge moments yesterday and could have been the player of the game. So was anyone high on him coming out of the draft. Was there anything about him in college, combine, whatever that led any of you to think he'd be this good?
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated this pick more than anything on draft day. 6th round safety prospect we were converting into a 3rd round cornerback. No thank you.

And this is why I trust in Baalke/Harbaugh. I'm an idiot.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Culliver Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:
He has amazing moments and then some bad ones, but overall looks to be developing into a shutdown corner. He had some huge moments yesterday and could have been the player of the game. So was anyone high on him coming out of the draft. Was there anything about him in college, combine, whatever that led any of you to think he'd be this good?

No one in the universe, except perhaps his momma and Mr Baalke, was high on him coming out. I personally had this outlook (and you can confirm it with my posts from that day): it's the third round, the top corners are gone, so why not go with one of the more physically gifted guy of the remaining corners... that's exactly what Cully was. A great athlete who hadn't had the chance to show his stuff, because of a position switch and injuries. The last time we took a defensive back who had gone through a position switch and injuries, it was Dashon Goldson... not bad, eh?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i have to say about Cully is that he has some amazing ball skills, he does something you do not see a lot of anymore and that play the ball instead of trying to pick the ball. He realizes he wont pick it and actually uses his ball skills to prevent the catch, most DB's these days try to pick everything that is thrown their way and in the end they mis time the jump and the WR comes away with a big play

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
49ers4life52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Culliver Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
straighthate wrote:

No one in the universe, except perhaps his momma and Mr Baalke, was high on him coming out. I personally had this outlook (and you can confirm it with my posts from that day): it's the third round, the top corners are gone, so why not go with one of the more physically gifted guy of the remaining corners... that's exactly what Cully was. A great athlete who hadn't had the chance to show his stuff, because of a position switch and injuries. The last time we took a defensive back who had gone through a position switch and injuries, it was Dashon Goldson... not bad, eh?

Haha yeah I remember that exact comment you said when we drafted Cully. You were one of the few that were level headed that day. Laughing

^Kempes^
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Culliver Reply with quote

49ers4life52 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
straighthate wrote:

Haha yeah I remember that exact comment you said when we drafted Cully. You were one of the few that were level headed that day. Laughing

I remember there was a bunch of average CBs on board, and we kept clamoring for one of them, because they were the names we knew from watching college ball or the combine. I remember there was some love for Shareece Wright (okay, I looked up the draft results, but I do remember that name being mentioned at the time), Johnny Patrick, Jalil Brown, Rashad Carmichael, Davon House, etc. But outside of a few other raw prospects, no one had the same blend of athleticism than what Culliver's numbers (because at the time, all we had to go off of were his measurables) seemed to indicate. I think the word I chose to describe the Culliver pick was upside. All the others could be good players, they had the name and recognition, at least. But they didn't have the athleticism. Cully might not have had the name, recognition or production, but he had the athleticism, and that alone gave him the upside the other didn't have.

And then, we had Ed Donatell, who had just turned the packers' no name DBs into a bunch of (temporary) studs. I was confident.

Forge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I can remember being in the draft thread that day, and I remember the...outrage I guess is the right word...when we drafted Culliver. I remember at first, everyone was like, "umm, who", then someone posted that Mayock had him as a 6th round safety, and it just went to hell from there. Some people kept level heads and took a more wait and see approach, but the majority of people were disgusted at the pick and no one really "liked" it. I think it's important to keep in mind though that at that point we hadn't had a winning season since like the 1920's and our team was kind of a mess. Anthony Davis did not have a good rookie year, Mays was clearly a bust, so everyone was a little on the frustrated side. Haarbaalke have a lot more credit now (and it helps that we have a fairly deep team where rookies aren't going to come in and be instant impact starters).

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is, I was comparing this guy to Nnamdi LOL. A safety in college switching to CB and becoming a stud. I remember the first preseason game he did well, and I again compared him to Nnamdi before someone told me to calm down Crying or Very sad . Well, I was wrong, he's going to 10000000X better than Nnamdi and the GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

So yeah, can we trick this guy into signing a extension now before he demands top 5-10 CB money?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted him in the 2nd or 3rd round a few years ago. One of my favorite prospects in while and I wanted the Browns to draft him bad. I know my opinion doesn't count for anything but I wanted T.J. Ward in the 2nd too and everyone else said WHO? I had a man crush on J.J. Watt and wanted him 6th overall and said he was #1 overall worthy only to be laughed at. I called Chandler Jones the best pass rusher in the draft in January only to be laughed at and I had Connor Barwin labled as a late 1st rounder in September only to be laughed at.

Basically my opinion doesn't mean jack but I have been pretty darn good when I really really really fall in love with a prospect. Chris Culliver was one of those guys I fell for and loved his upside.

I believe Chris Culliver is headed for big things in this league.

Jamison on the sig
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I wanted him in the 2nd or 3rd round a few years ago. One of my favorite prospects in while and I wanted the Browns to draft him bad. I know my opinion doesn't count for anything but I wanted T.J. Ward in the 2nd too and everyone else said WHO? I had a man crush on J.J. Watt and wanted him 6th overall and said he was #1 overall worthy only to be laughed at. I called Chandler Jones the best pass rusher in the draft in January only to be laughed at and I had Connor Barwin labled as a late 1st rounder in September only to be laughed at.

Basically my opinion doesn't mean jack but I have been pretty darn good when I really really really fall in love with a prospect. Chris Culliver was one of those guys I fell for and loved his upside.

You only mention your good calls, what about your fails? Wink

John232

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was not high on the Culliver pick. I saw him like Rudy saw him. High ceiling, but possibility he may never even come close to his potential. Really glad it's paying off for us now.

The Good Calls/Bad Calls thread is always a fun one.

some bad ones:

Adarius Bowman: Oldie persuaded me onto this band wagon

Andre Smith: I thought he'd pick it up by now

Everson Griffen: Average at best

DHB: I thought he had real talent, not top ten but that he could end up putting up Galloway-esque numbers. Not a bad player but much worse right now then I thought he'd be

Shonn Greene: I thought he'd THAT running back who came out of no-where to take the NFL by storm...Yeah I was wrong.

Julio Jones: I thought he was going to be inconsistent and rely so heavily on his athleticism that he'd never be consistently great. Yeah, I was wrong. He's looking like a top 5 receiver in the game, easily.

Beanie Wells: I love power backs and I thought he had a lot of the tools to be a great one.

Quentin Groves: I thought he would be an absolute mad man pass-rusher...wrong on that too.

Aaron Curry: Everyone was wrong with him.

Here are some I was right:

Aldon Smith: Yeah, I was surprised when we took him, especially with Robert Quinn on the board(another one I was right on). I remember being slightly disappointed but when I started reading about him and his exploits, my jaw sorta dropped. Dude balled at every level despite injuries and youth. Rare rare quality.

Jordy Nelson: Outside of Aldon, this is the call I'm most proud of. This guy was a lot more athletic and physically talented then he ever got the credit for. He got the typical white guy label that we see all too often of being the "slot, quick, chain mover". Nelson is an all-around great receiver. Incredible coordination and body control.

I'd also throw James Jones into this list as well, watched him a lot at SJSU and outside of his inconsistent hands he had a lot going for him. Great physical specimen who has done a solid job in the NFL.

Im bored, I'll add some more when I think of it.

xsaMainevent on the sig
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

The only player I have really really really be adament about since I started doing this draft stuff in 2004 that has failed is Antonio Pittman. I was all over Pittman and thought he was a late 1st or 2nd round pick. I was very upset when my Browns passed on him in the 2nd and then beyond peeved when we passed on him in the 4th.

I have had 3 big misses on the other end of the spectrum players I thought would bust and did not. Those players were Chad Greenway, Phil Taylor and Alson Smith. I wanted nothing to do with these 3 players and already 2 have gone to pro bowls with Phil Taylor playing like a pro bowler.

When I like I player, however, I rarely miss and the thing about that is I rarely ever fall in love with the consensus elite prospects so my chances are not exactly high. J.J. Watt is probably the closest thing to an elite prospect but he was still considered a late 1st when I said he was going to be a star. I also nailed in on Michael Roos, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Carr. Too a much lesser extent I Jason Trusnik too I only say him because I was on his bandwagon as a special teamer very very early. I played against him when I was a senior and he a freshman then followed him every since. No one else knew who he was at least Browns fans. Turned out I was right when he played well enough not only to play special teams but then take defensive snaps.

Like I said my opinion doesn't mean jack and I don't need anyones approval. I am just letting you know I really liked Culliver coming out and for SF that might be a good thing because I have called some not so easy to call shots before and rarely miss. Like I said Antonio Pittman is my only favorite to let me down so far. You don't have to believe me just saying Culliver will be a good-great CB.

Jamison on the sig
xXFlyteXx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
I hated this pick more than anything on draft day. 6th round safety prospect we were converting into a 3rd round cornerback. No thank you.

And this is why I trust in Baalke/Harbaugh. I'm an idiot.

+100

i hated the whole draft Aldon,Culliver i must apologize and to Baalke/Harbaugh also....
BayAreaBomber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who watched NFLN's coverage of the draft remember Charles Davis pretty much facepalming at the pick.

What now CHARLES
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

The only player I have really really really be adament about since I started doing this draft stuff in 2004 that has failed is Antonio Pittman. I was all over Pittman and thought he was a late 1st or 2nd round pick. I was very upset when my Browns passed on him in the 2nd and then beyond peeved when we passed on him in the 4th.

I have had 3 big misses on the other end of the spectrum players I thought would bust and did not. Those players were Chad Greenway, Phil Taylor and Alson Smith. I wanted nothing to do with these 3 players and already 2 have gone to pro bowls with Phil Taylor playing like a pro bowler.

When I like I player, however, I rarely miss and the thing about that is I rarely ever fall in love with the consensus elite prospects so my chances are not exactly high. J.J. Watt is probably the closest thing to an elite prospect but he was still considered a late 1st when I said he was going to be a star. I also nailed in on Michael Roos, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Carr. Too a much lesser extent I Jason Trusnik too I only say him because I was on his bandwagon as a special teamer very very early. I played against him when I was a senior and he a freshman then followed him every since. No one else knew who he was at least Browns fans. Turned out I was right when he played well enough not only to play special teams but then take defensive snaps.

Like I said my opinion doesn't mean jack and I don't need anyones approval. I am just letting you know I really liked Culliver coming out and for SF that might be a good thing because I have called some not so easy to call shots before and rarely miss. Like I said Antonio Pittman is my only favorite to let me down so far. You don't have to believe me just saying Culliver will be a good-great CB.

My only fail was Darrell Robertson. But that's because I was looking for a true darkhorse. The guy had never done anything, and has never done anything since. Oh... and I was on the Stephen Hill bandwagon... I guess getting drafted by the Jets doesn't help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: