Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Josh Norman benching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKpantherfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Josh Norman benching? Reply with quote

So the Charlotte Observer is reporting that Josh Norman was benched during the ATL game but no one is saying why. Anyone got any thoughts?

And let's be serious, let's avoid cheap shots etc - I'm genuinely curious at to what would make us go down to 3rd and 4th and even 5th string players in a game we were winning.

Oh and what were people's thoughts on Jones and Dockery?
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither guy was spectacular as we gave up a lot in the 2nd half to the passing game. Could definitely tell when Norman left the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the game again. After halftime Norman was only in one time. It was the two point conversion attempt. I didn't see Nakamura at all in the second half after Jones came in. I don't think there was drop off between Norman and Dockey. Neither one was that good. Norman was out a good deal of the first half too.

I attribute the 2nd half passing success more to Atlanta's urgency than Dockery and Jones coming in. Norman wouldn't have fared much better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's been allowing catches all year but mostly because the coaches play that stupid soft zone so the receiver might as well be in the park playing catch with a buddy. i thought it was fox but it seems it's more of an organizational philosophy to never jam anyone at the line. even tho they are perfecty tailored to do so

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised at all. He hasn't done anything to prove he's a capable starter. 5th round rookie or not, CB is still a big need for this team.

I can see us taking Dee Milliner in the first round of next year's draft. If we don't take him, I wouldn't be surprised if we took a 2nd round CB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk what to read into on this benching. he hasnt shown to be a #1 CB but he would be a solid nickel corner and borderline #2. With captains contract expiring this spring, I think the coaching staff wanted to see how the other CB played in a real game and not the scouting team. The panthers need to address both CB and S in this draft. perfect 2013 draft scenario
1st round: hankins DT ohio state
2nd round: phillip thomas S Fresno State
4th round: Robert Alford CB SE Louisana
oline and bpa the rest of the way
rjkilla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's a physical solid tackler who's more than happy to stick his nose in against the run. he just allows way to many easy completions. i say that has a lot to do with scheme for the most part but clearly the coaches don't agree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we maybe use Josh Norman as a FS.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panattack86 wrote:
idk what to read into on this benching. he hasnt shown to be a #1 CB but he would be a solid nickel corner and borderline #2. With captains contract expiring this spring, I think the coaching staff wanted to see how the other CB played in a real game and not the scouting team. The panthers need to address both CB and S in this draft. perfect 2013 draft scenario
1st round: hankins DT ohio state
2nd round: phillip thomas S Fresno State
4th round: Robert Alford CB SE Louisana
oline and bpa the rest of the way

- Agree with the 1st round except I feel he falls off a bit from his combine and we end up picking 6-9... we go after Dee Milliner (all around stud btw)
-Completely disagree with your second and third I'd rather pick two players that come from better schools that have shown to produce talent. I know college football like the back of my hand have never heard good things about Robert Alford

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
atown703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegley8 wrote:
Could we maybe use Josh Norman as a FS.
I think it's worth a shot!

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Norman has been impressive considering he's a 5th round pick. But I think it's just as likely that he was benched because Rivera wanted to give other guys a chance and give Norman the chance to watch a learn and get mental reps.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also a lot of rookies aren't used to this long grueling schedule. it's totally possible that norman is just gassed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
he's a physical solid tackler who's more than happy to stick his nose in against the run. he just allows way to many easy completions. i say that has a lot to do with scheme for the most part but clearly the coaches don't agree

yeah on roddy's TD he was 5 yards off even though atlanta was on like... the 2 yard line. makes no sense.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question to which I honestly don't know the answer:

In the NFL, how much authority does the player have to decide whether to press, stay tight, or back off before the snap? Is that a coaching/play decision, or does the player always (or at least frequently) have the option?

I mean, I'm sure that can very, depending on player and team, but if Norman has the option in most situations and he keeps backing off, that's clearly an issue with him and confidence, etc. If it's not up to him and he's hand-tied by the plays being called, then I really can't downgrade the guy for playing what's called.

So, honestly, does anybody know the answer beyond speculation? I'd really like to know.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Question to which I honestly don't know the answer:

In the NFL, how much authority does the player have to decide whether to press, stay tight, or back off before the snap? Is that a coaching/play decision, or does the player always (or at least frequently) have the option?

I mean, I'm sure that can very, depending on player and team, but if Norman has the option in most situations and he keeps backing off, that's clearly an issue with him and confidence, etc. If it's not up to him and he's hand-tied by the plays being called, then I really can't downgrade the guy for playing what's called.

So, honestly, does anybody know the answer beyond speculation? I'd really like to know.

I've been trying to figure out if this a problem with Norman or our scheme for a while. The thing is Thomas plays off the receiver and up close. That could be by design or Thomas's preference, idk. To me it seems that Norman, Thomas and Gamble are all corners that would excel in tight man coverage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: