Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Drunk and Bored Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade my drunken stupor:
A
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
B
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
C
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
D
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

bungleodeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Drunk and Bored Mock Offseason Reply with quote

So go ahead and bash this. I'm bored and just thinking about the Browns, so here goes the offseason. I also do not claim to be any kind of expert, this is obviously for fun.

Heckart/Shurmur and co. all retained. We finish 6-10.

IN HOUSE
Sheldon Brown CB Gone
Josh Cribbs WR Gone
Mohamed Massaquoi WR Gone
Phil Dawson K Resigned
Reggie Hodges P Gone
Brandon Jackson RB Gone
Kaluka Maiava LB resigned
Scott Fujita LB Gone
Alex Smith TE/FB Resigned
Ben Watson TE Gone
Rey Ventrone S Gone
Marcus Benard DE Gone
Thad Lewis QB resigned
Jordan Norwood WR Gone
Chris Ogbonnaya RB Resigned
Craig Robertson LB Resigned
Emmanuel Stephens DE Gone
Christian Young LS Resigned

Free Agents
Wes Welker- WR New England Patriots

Browns new ownership decides they want to break the bank and go after a big name FA. One of the most productive WR's of our era. Tough, willing to go accross the middle, one of the top slot WR's in recent memory. The Browns over pay, he's a bit older, but they feel they need to bring in a vet after opting to dismiss Cribbs and Watson.

Lawrence Sidbury Jr.- DE Atlanta Falcons

A reserve DE on a talented team, Sidbury has fallen out of favor in Atlanta and won't be resigned. The Browns are able to steal him cheap and bring him in with the idea of using him as a pure pass rusher. With Parker and Rucker both due back, the Browns are just stocking up on some d-line depth on the outside, giving them more versatility.

Pat Chung- SS New England Patriots

With T.J. Ward the Browns aren't looking to upgrade the SS positon heading into next year, but the Browns have also been looking at a few guys for the future of the FS position. The Browns find Chung at a cheap price, and after a good start to his career he has been banged up and found himself out of favor in NE. The Browns are willing to bring him in as a sub/ST player for a decent cost.

Donnie Jones - P Houston Texans

Struggling a bit in Houston this year and people don't think he'll be resigned. He has still been better than Hodges and the Browns take a chance on the vet with a short contract.

NFL DRAFT
Drafting at #10

1st round: Jonathan Banks - CB Mississippi St.

The Browns, hoping to find a dominant pass rusher, settle for a rising prospect. Banks has good size, good hands, playmaking ability and will test well in the combine. With Sheldon Brown not being resigned and no team willing to move up with the Browns, Cleveland takes the best CB available at pick #10 and hopes to have their secondary of the future. Some will say this is a bit of a reach, and I would tend to agree, but need + talent = Banks.

3rd round- Arthur Brown - OLB Kansas State

A redshirt senior, his age and weight will keep his draft stock down. The Browns are happy to add the Big 12 defensive player of the year to their young defense.

4th round- Dion Sims - TE Michigan St.

He declares for the draft as a junior. Great size, good blocker, decent hands. The Browns get a chance at a steal in the 4th.

5th round- Devin Taylor - DE South Carolina

Tall and good weight, but a lack of production over the last 2 seasons have killed his draft stock. Will compete for a roster spot but may end up being a practice squad guy with some upside.

6th round- Blaize Foltz - G Texas Christian

7th round - Taimi Tutogi - FB Arizona
Browns take a chance on a late round FB and hope he can be the lead blocker of the future.

Undrafted Free Agents
(most don't make the team)
RB Curtis McNeal - USC
C Matt Stankiewitch - Penn St. (what a name!)
DT Nicholas Williams - Samford
QB James Vandenberg - Iowa
S Vaughn Telemaque - Miami, FL
S Rod Woodson - North Alabama
ILB Dan Molls - Toledo
ILB Dwayne Woods - Bowling Green
OT Dan O'neill - Western Michigan

Long Story Short
The Browns are already young on both sides of the ball. The entire staff and Weeden will immediately be on the hot seat. The offense will be expected to grow, the offensive line and the top 3 playmakers on the the 2012 team will be given the opportunity to grow. Welker will be the only serious addition to the offense.

Defensively, the Browns will have a competition for the WOLB, the D-line will be continue to be strength with a good rotation. The primary weakness on the defense will be at FS, but with Gipson and Young, the Browns feel confident that the issue can be addressed the following year. Obviously the Browns hope Banks can move into the #2 spot immediately, but if not, Patterson could be a decent stop gap until he is ready.

Last edited by bungleodeon on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
FEARtheELF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont really like the Welker signing. I would like a Jennings or Amendola if we went WR. They would be a little less pricier. Also younger so can be a factor on the team in a couple years when it should be our best shot.

Other then that its a good job. Cant address everything in one year and I like how you didnt try to make it happen.

I personally dont think we need an OLB. Gocong is coming back and I like Robertson

stallyns wrote:
I don't remember much before Football's Future.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEARtheELF wrote:
I just dont really like the Welker signing. I would like a Jennings or Amendola if we went WR. They would be a little less pricier. Also younger so can be a factor on the team in a couple years when it should be our best shot.

Other then that its a good job. Cant address everything in one year and I like how you didnt try to make it happen.

I personally dont think we need an OLB. Gocong is coming back and I like Robertson
My idea with Welker is the fact that he's a clear slot guy. Amendola is as well, but I don't know whether or not his body can take it. Jennings just doesn't seem like a viable option for this team, right now. I also think Jennings will command the same kind of money that Welker will. I don't think Benjamin is the future for us as a slot WR.

Thanks for the comments though. It's tough to predict this offseason for dozens of reasons. It's also tough to determine which positions need upgraded since we have so much youth. Sure, we'd like an upgrade up QB but maybe Weeden improves and gives us an upgrade. Same thing at FS, G, TE, OLB, and maybe even CB depending on how it all works out.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good draft. I like Banks quite a bit.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelled Jonathan right, but his mother or father did not: Johnthan Banks. Silliness.

Your draft is very good; one of the best I've seen on this board. Not bad for being drunk and bored.

Only thing about the re-signings I would change is that I would tender Norwood. Let him try and win a spot in camp, because cutting a tendered player has no effect on the cap. Other than that, I liked all the decisions.

Your FA class leaves a little to be desired, though.

Welker isn't worth breaking the bank for IMO unless we're getting Josh McDaniels to coach the team.

Not a fan of Sidbury, but I could live with him if we don't re-sign Juqua Parker (who is only on a 1-year deal this season).

Pat Chung is my least favorite player in your mock. If we sign him, I'll be a fan, but I don't see him offer anything that Eric Hagg doesn't already offer for a fraction of the price.

"Insert Punter Name Here" is good as long as he can get Yount's snaps down for Dawson and not be a shank-master.

Again, the draft is top notch. If I were to pick nits, it would be to switch from OG to OT in the 6th round (tackle depth is thinner than guard depth). Sound reasoning on the picks and player selection.

#FreeJoshGordon
BwickBrownie wrote:
looks like Ditch's infinite wisdom is correct again.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckert/Shurmur & co. retained?

Care to explain, since I would surmise that most people see them on the way out?

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Heckert/Shurmur & co. retained?

Care to explain, since I would surmise that most people see them on the way out?
TBQH, I think they are on the way out, but it made my job a lot easier in doing a mock by keeping them.

I said before the season that if we fired anyone in the FO it would be premature. I'll stick with that line of thinking and keep them for this mock. I do believe Shurmur is showing improvements. It would have been very easy for this team to give up on him at 0-5, but the Browns keep fighting.

I also like the idea of keeping a very similar team going into next year and see if the improvement continues, if it doesn't, then we move on.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
You spelled Jonathan right, but his mother or father did not: Johnthan Banks. Silliness.

Your draft is very good; one of the best I've seen on this board. Not bad for being drunk and bored.

Only thing about the re-signings I would change is that I would tender Norwood. Let him try and win a spot in camp, because cutting a tendered player has no effect on the cap. Other than that, I liked all the decisions.

Your FA class leaves a little to be desired, though.

Welker isn't worth breaking the bank for IMO unless we're getting Josh McDaniels to coach the team.

Not a fan of Sidbury, but I could live with him if we don't re-sign Juqua Parker (who is only on a 1-year deal this season).

Pat Chung is my least favorite player in your mock. If we sign him, I'll be a fan, but I don't see him offer anything that Eric Hagg doesn't already offer for a fraction of the price.

"Insert Punter Name Here" is good as long as he can get Yount's snaps down for Dawson and not be a shank-master.

Again, the draft is top notch. If I were to pick nits, it would be to switch from OG to OT in the 6th round (tackle depth is thinner than guard depth). Sound reasoning on the picks and player selection.

funny on the spelling thing because I knew that and noticed it while doing this mock, yet I my brain still wouldn't let me type it.

I wonder how much Chung will get in a contract given his injury problems and the fact that he doesn't see that much of the field. I'd like to believe he can be had for a reasonable price.

Sidbury is hard to judge, but I liked him coming out of school, so I like the idea of getting him now. Chung was kind of the same thing, wanted us to draft him, we didn't, now we get him.

I knew Welker would be an unpopular mock, but we've been talking about getting a vet WR for a while, and he fits into the slot perfectly. Should help Weeden quite a bit with his precise route running. He does a great job faking out coverage and being at the right place at the right time.

Thanks on the draft comment. I thougth some people would hate it becasue it wasn't flashy. Glad I've gotten some nice comments on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: