Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphan's Mock Offseason 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6960
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Dolphan's Mock Offseason 2.0 Reply with quote

THIS ISN'T NECESSARILY WHAT I WANT, BUT A PROJECTION OF WHAT I THINK THE DOLPHINS WILL DO.

First of all I am keeping the coaching staff in tact. I know that Sherman hasn't been great this year, but at the same time he isn't going anywhere and the talent given to him has left him handcuffed.

RESIGN:
Sean Smith
Brian Hartline
Anthony Fasano
Chris Clemons
R.J. Stanford
Tony McDaniels
Nate Garner

FRANCHISE TAG:
Jake Long- Truly 50/50 but I think Ireland will give Long 1 year to prove his worth. It's a lot of $, but with the resources available the Dolphins are better with Long than a rookie or a FA. Likely ask Long to drop 10 pounds to help improve agility.

LET WALK:
Randy Starks- Has been great, won't be SUPER expensive, but it provides the Dolphins with a chance to get younger. He is truly 50/50 in my eyes though.

Reggie Bush- He runs hard, and fits on a lot of championship teams as a low use starter or a high use reserve.

CUT:
Jorvorskie Lane
Richie Incognito
Jeron Mastrud
Nolan Carroll


FREE AGENCY:
Greg Jennings- Exactly the kind of player Joe Philbin likes. Will be good for Tannehill as he is a very cerebral player. Has the ability to move around an offense and create favorable matchups. Injuries are a concern and drop his price tag slightly. Approximately 4 years 37 million?

Bradley Fletcher- Big physical corner. Fits the kind of scheme that Coyle ultimately wants to have. When Marshall returns the Dolphins will have one of the better press secondaries on paper in the league.

Johnathon Casillas- Athletic OLB. Ultimately will push Misi in the base defense.


DRAFT
TRADE: I expect the Dolphins to pick about 12 and move back to about pick 20-22. This draft is pretty weak at the top, but has some nice players in the middle, pick up a 3rd and a 5th.

1. Terrence Williams WR Baylor
Williams has great size (6'2 205) and is expected to run in the 4.4's. Great straight line speed but also is a smooth route runner. Will immediately stretch the field.

2A. Zach Ertz TE Stanford
Playing in a hard nosed offense like Stanford, Ertz is a skilled blocker but is also the Cardinal's main receiving threat. Comes in from day 1 and becomes a valued weapon.

2B. Cornelius Carradine DE FSU
Overshadowed by two other player (Brandon Jenkins and Bjoern Werner) but is an excellent pass rusher.

3A. Alvin Bailey OG Arkansas
Starting caliber OG. Will compete to start right away.

3B. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
Solid sized CB, comes in as the dime. With the players ahead of him he will have time to learn, but have the ability to earn playing time.

3C. Omeregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech
Rebuilding the interior of the OL. Might not start from day 1, but he can push Jerry.

4. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
Good sized WR. Possession and potentially effective redzone target.

5A. Sean Renfree QB Duke
5B. Cory Grissom DT USF

7. Latavius Murray RB UCF

DEPTH CHART
QB: Ryan Tannehill/Pat Devlin/Sean Renfree
RB: Daniel Thomas/Lamar Miller/Latavius Murray/Marcus Thigpen
FB: Charles Clay
WR: Greg Jennings/Terrence Williams/Brian Hartline/Devone Bess/Jordan Matthews/EITHER Marlon Moore/Rishard Matthews
TE: Anthony Fasano/Zach Ertz/Jeron Mastrud
LT: Jake Long/Will Yeatman
LG: Alvin Bailey/Nate Garner
C: Mike Pouncey/Josh Samuda
RG: John Jerry/Omergie Uzzi
RT: Johnathon Martin/Nate Garner

LDE: Olivier Vernon/Cornelius Carradine
DT: Jared Odrick/Tony McDaniels/Cory Grissom
DT: Paul Soliai/Kheeston Randall
RDE: Cameron Wake/Derrick Shelby
OLB: Koa Misi/Johnathon Casillas
MLB: Karlos Dansby/Josh Kaddu
OLB: Kevin Burnett/Jason Trusnik
CB: Sean Smith/Bradley Fletcher/Richard Marshall/Terry Hawthorne/RJ Stanford
FS: Chris Clemons/Jimmy Wilson
SS: Reshad Jones/Tyrone Culver

K: Dan Carpenter
P: Brandon Fields
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DOLFAN016


Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 648
Location: Central Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I think this offseason takes us to the next level...especially at WR. With that kind of depth and speed it fits what we're trying to do within our scheme. I did notice that you cut Mastrud, but had him on the roster. Did you mean to put Egnew on the roster instead? Very good job and nice work!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3134
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you resigned too many players.

I like the draft though, that's pretty much what I want minus Ertz. I like Clay as our starter next season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytotha


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 4438
Location: Spokane Valley, Wa
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the starks cut but I think moving Odrick inside is a good idea.

I believe that Jennings will be in a fins uniform next year.

Ertz would be a great pick up.

Overall I think it gets us in the right direction to be competitive and run the offense thats uptempo
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphinologist


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 5564
Location: New York
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order:

If that is all you are going to do at Corner, you might as well ignore the position all together.

I don't see this regime going WR and moving back in the 1st. Either one or the other. The WRs in this class are underwhelming to begin with after Keenan Allen.

After watching what we've been through with the OLine that's all you are gonna do ? I have a big problem with that. Football pet peeve is players playing out of position or skill sets against the system. Don't draft or sign
receivers, backs and tight ends if that's all you are gonna do with the offensive line. And I hope you are not talking the fire ireland talk if this is all you are gonna do with the line.

I'm so over the sentimental state we seem to be in with Jake Long. You wanna go injury fine. These injuries are due to his own motion. Not getting hit or any kind of impact. That's not gonna get better with him making the same movements at the same pace that got him in this position in the first place. He is done as a ZBS LT.

As far as other spots on the line. I'd rather move Incognito to RG (his original position) that move forward with Jerry. If you do this right you can draft a guard, sign a guard and draft a RT. Because we need two guards and a tackle.

And why draft a guard in the 3rd who you don't project to beat Jerry in camp for the starter's role ?

Vernon is not enough of a pass rusher. And I'm far from sold on the one you drafted.

I was once on board with Odrick to DT and I still am just not as a starter. Gotta have Starks ... I could be talked out of it, though.

I'm not on board with the 5th round of your draft. Or the 2nd one for that matter. Did I mention no WR in the 1st with this regime ?

I'm keeping Lane.

I can live with everything else.
_________________


Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatewood2


Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 5742
Location: Kent, WA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't really want to resign Jake Long. I think he is one of the best LT's in the league, but he doesn't fit the system that Philben has installed. I want to see if Martin can hold his own for the rest of this season and if so then let him man the position as it's easier to replace a RT than a LT IMO.
_________________



NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaiowas05


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1112
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin will probably have a very good game vs JAC, Buffalo is the tester we need to see if he deals with Williams
_________________
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner 2012 and 2013
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conquest8089


Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 2680
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 45-50 million of Cap Space this offseason, Jeff Ireland & Joe Philbin have an opportunity to upgrade the roster in FA significantly.

The priority should be getting players that fit the schemes being implemented.

Kevin Coyle had a knack in Cincinnati for turning other teams castoffs into capable starters and even Pro Bowl Caliber players in the secondary. (Tory James, Artrell Hawkins, Kevin Kaesviharn & Chris Crocker).

Coyle wants Press Man Corner and thus retaining Sean Smith should be a priority, even if it requires the Franchise Tag to extend the negotiation window.

Jake Long does not fit the ZBS, and while sentimentally difficult- moving on is logical. Upgrading the interior of the offensive line via FA is worth considering, especially with guys that fit the ZBS.

Brian Hartline needs to be retained. Guys that perform should be rewarded. He's a piece to the puzzle in the Slot, and he shouldn't be overly expensive.

Anthony Fasano is a serviceable starting TE, but does not warrant a 3-4 year deal at 4 million a year. Look at the deal John Carlson signed last offseason, Fasano will be paid for his services in a weak TE market.

The priority in FA should be Dwayne Bowe- he fits the WCO perfectly and gives the Phins that elite WR they traded away in Brandon Marshall.

With the TE position, a possible trade for JerMichael Finley should be considered. He's frustrated in Green Bay and with the multiple 3rd Round Picks- a deal could be worked out.

Reggie Bush- The owner loves him because he's flashy, but he does not fit the ZBS. He's a man style Running Back that sees an opening and lacks ideal patience.

Not retaining Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Anthony Fasano Cutting Incognito- keeps that 45 million more opened.

On Defense, Randy Starks needs to be retained even if it means cutting Paul Soliai. He's a major piece to the puzzle.

Free Agency:

WR Targets:
1. Dwayne Bowe 28 Kansas City
2. Greg Jennings 29 Green Bay
3. Kevin Ogletree 26 Dallas
4. Brandon Gibson 26 St. Louis

TE Targets:
1. JerMichael Finley 26 Green Bay (Trade)
2. Brandon Myers 27 Oakland
3. Dallas Clark 34 Tampa Bay

ZBS OGs:
1. Andy Levitre 27 Buffalo
2. Kory Lichtensteiger 28 Washington
3. Evan Dietrich-Smith 27 Green Bay
4. Ryan Lilja 31 Kansas City
5. Doug Legursky 27 Pittsburgh

OT:
1. Sam Baker 28 Atlanta
2. Rashad Butler 30 Houston
3. Jason Smith 27 New York Jets

With the draft stockpiled with Defensive Ends and given the contractual commitment to Cameron Wake, I'd draft a rookie LE. The ideal solution is Bjoern Werner.

We need a new safety that can holdup in the zone coverages Coyle's system features.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1920
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
With 45-50 million of Cap Space this offseason, Jeff Ireland & Joe Philbin have an opportunity to upgrade the roster in FA significantly.

The priority should be getting players that fit the schemes being implemented.

Kevin Coyle had a knack in Cincinnati for turning other teams castoffs into capable starters and even Pro Bowl Caliber players in the secondary. (Tory James, Artrell Hawkins, Kevin Kaesviharn & Chris Crocker).

Coyle wants Press Man Corner and thus retaining Sean Smith should be a priority, even if it requires the Franchise Tag to extend the negotiation window.

Jake Long does not fit the ZBS, and while sentimentally difficult- moving on is logical. Upgrading the interior of the offensive line via FA is worth considering, especially with guys that fit the ZBS.

Brian Hartline needs to be retained. Guys that perform should be rewarded. He's a piece to the puzzle in the Slot, and he shouldn't be overly expensive.

Anthony Fasano is a serviceable starting TE, but does not warrant a 3-4 year deal at 4 million a year. Look at the deal John Carlson signed last offseason, Fasano will be paid for his services in a weak TE market.

The priority in FA should be Dwayne Bowe- he fits the WCO perfectly and gives the Phins that elite WR they traded away in Brandon Marshall.

With the TE position, a possible trade for JerMichael Finley should be considered. He's frustrated in Green Bay and with the multiple 3rd Round Picks- a deal could be worked out.

Reggie Bush- The owner loves him because he's flashy, but he does not fit the ZBS. He's a man style Running Back that sees an opening and lacks ideal patience.

Not retaining Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Anthony Fasano Cutting Incognito- keeps that 45 million more opened.

On Defense, Randy Starks needs to be retained even if it means cutting Paul Soliai. He's a major piece to the puzzle.

Free Agency:

WR Targets:
1. Dwayne Bowe 28 Kansas City
2. Greg Jennings 29 Green Bay
3. Kevin Ogletree 26 Dallas
4. Brandon Gibson 26 St. Louis

TE Targets:
1. JerMichael Finley 26 Green Bay (Trade)
2. Brandon Myers 27 Oakland
3. Dallas Clark 34 Tampa Bay

ZBS OGs:
1. Andy Levitre 27 Buffalo
2. Kory Lichtensteiger 28 Washington
3. Evan Dietrich-Smith 27 Green Bay
4. Ryan Lilja 31 Kansas City
5. Doug Legursky 27 Pittsburgh

OT:
1. Sam Baker 28 Atlanta
2. Rashad Butler 30 Houston
3. Jason Smith 27 New York Jets

With the draft stockpiled with Defensive Ends and given the contractual commitment to Cameron Wake, I'd draft a rookie LE. The ideal solution is Bjoern Werner.

We need a new safety that can holdup in the zone coverages Coyle's system features.
Good write up, as for Finley he could be cap casualty, he is owed a big roster bonus and talk is he will be let go. A great talent who had a couple great years with philpin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6960
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
In no particular order:

If that is all you are going to do at Corner, you might as well ignore the position all together.

I don't see this regime going WR and moving back in the 1st. Either one or the other. The WRs in this class are underwhelming to begin with after Keenan Allen.

After watching what we've been through with the OLine that's all you are gonna do ? I have a big problem with that. Football pet peeve is players playing out of position or skill sets against the system. Don't draft or sign
receivers, backs and tight ends if that's all you are gonna do with the offensive line. And I hope you are not talking the fire ireland talk if this is all you are gonna do with the line.

I'm so over the sentimental state we seem to be in with Jake Long. You wanna go injury fine. These injuries are due to his own motion. Not getting hit or any kind of impact. That's not gonna get better with him making the same movements at the same pace that got him in this position in the first place. He is done as a ZBS LT.

As far as other spots on the line. I'd rather move Incognito to RG (his original position) that move forward with Jerry. If you do this right you can draft a guard, sign a guard and draft a RT. Because we need two guards and a tackle.

And why draft a guard in the 3rd who you don't project to beat Jerry in camp for the starter's role ?

Vernon is not enough of a pass rusher. And I'm far from sold on the one you drafted.

I was once on board with Odrick to DT and I still am just not as a starter. Gotta have Starks ... I could be talked out of it, though.

I'm not on board with the 5th round of your draft. Or the 2nd one for that matter. Did I mention no WR in the 1st with this regime ?

I'm keeping Lane.

I can live with everything else.


CB- What more can you do at CB besides just drafting one higher? Fletcher is a very solid corner and a good scheme fit. Marshall is coming back as well, giving the Dolphins 3 physical CB's and then also drafting a rookie. Not sure what the gripe is there unless you just don't like Fletcher.

WR- I agree that this regime isn't going to want to go WR in round 1, but they may not have a choice. I think Miami is winning two out of the last three games thus putting them in the awkward position of no elite DE or CB. I think Williams is going to be a complete player and ready to play from day 1. I think he is the best WR prospect honestly.

OL- I'm not sure what more there is to be done. I looked thoroughly at the OG spot and there is really no good ZBS OG that are in the final year of their contract. Unless someone is cut unexpectedly there just is no market. If you look at the majority of good interior linemen (there obviously are exceptions) they are found in rounds 2-4. I think both players are starting caliber but I think Jerry will be given the chance to keep his job. I doubt they will want two rookie OG starting either.

If this what how I wanted to do it: I would probably want my OL to look like: Martin-Vet FA-Pouncey-Rookie-Jerry, I think Jerry is an OT after seeing him perform in limited action. He is a solid pass blocker and struggles in getting movement in the run game.

You have to realize, I did this with my Jeff Ireland hat on. I would have done this TOTALLY different if I did what I wanted.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6745
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as it stands were slated to make our first selection between #12 and #15..

I know this coming drafts 1st rnd is limited outside of Dlinemen & were already set in that Dept so ...
I'm all for building a 1st rnd "player big board" focusing on OL - FS or TE.

As for resigning current players ...
I oppose bringing back Jake Long unless it's significant salary restructure & a positional change as well.

I cannot defend Sean Smith anymore.
I can't justify resigning the guy unless it includes a restructured salary & a more specific role, like
strictly covering TEs & RZ situations.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dolphinemidget


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3727
Location: Florida
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several people said it but dont think we resign Jake Long, and if we do I see us parting ways and gaining some draft picks for him, which means Martin goes to LT and then we need a RT, I see that as being a top 3 pick (aka we will use one of our first three picks for that)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6745
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphinemidget wrote:
I know several people said it but dont think we resign Jake Long, and if we do I see us parting ways and gaining some draft picks for him, which means Martin goes to LT and then we need a RT, I see that as being a top 3 pick (aka we will use one of our first three picks for that)


Whoa whoa whoa !!!
Why on earth should we lower the standards of the most important OL along with our OC ???

If were gonna draft a OT for the love of Jobe do it in the 1st rnd.
Lets improve the Oline with the highest level of competition.
Let's approach it with "may the best man win the starting LT position".

Seriously, I'm not al all cool with drafting a OT that can't outplay J. Martin.
I'm not even remotely close to comfortable with him "on either side" yet

Just saying, lets not lower our standards with an "OK NCAA LT" is all.

The position is way too important.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6745
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody here taken a long hard look at the TE from Notre Dame ...???
6' - 6" 245 #s

Could this kid be in our sights in the 1st rnd ...???
I firmly believe that a pass catching/playmaker TE should be drafted ahead of WR given our new Off.
Clearly with the understanding that a couple more guys like Hartline who can come out of the huddle &
interchange X -Y - Z positions on any down pre snap. ( in the 3rd - 4th rnd)

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1920
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Dolphinemidget wrote:
I know several people said it but dont think we resign Jake Long, and if we do I see us parting ways and gaining some draft picks for him, which means Martin goes to LT and then we need a RT, I see that as being a top 3 pick (aka we will use one of our first three picks for that)


Whoa whoa whoa !!!
Why on earth should we lower the standards of the most important OL along with our OC ???

If were gonna draft a OT for the love of Jobe do it in the 1st rnd.
Lets improve the Oline with the highest level of competition.
Let's approach it with "may the best man win the starting LT position".

Seriously, I'm not al all cool with drafting a OT that can't outplay J. Martin.
I'm not even remotely close to comfortable with him "on either side" yet

Just saying, lets not lower our standards with an "OK NCAA LT" is all.

The position is way too important.

sug
For what its worth except for the one Aldon Smith play Martin has played solid at LT so far, much better then he did at RT. I recently read in a article its easier for a finesse tackle to play on the left side then right or maybe cause he spent his time at LT in college but he looks better. He needs to add strength and think he will in the off season. I am not saying he has arrived and saying he shouldnt be pushed but the reality is he is going to be our LT next year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group