Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Excluding Ray Horton, Coaching Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 13211
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun1273 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
You think a longterm HC will be hired before a GM? I doubt it unless it's a someone close with MB like Haley or maybe Horton...


Would anyone else here be sad if Graves does not get fired? How the hell does a GM survive with this many fired coaches?


I actually do not want to see Graves get fired. His drafts have been good but both Dennis Green and Whisenhunt cannot develop a QB. Can't win if you cannot get anything out of your QBs.


He has little to do with drafts. He doesn't even watch film...

Besides our drafts haven't been good. Look at our 1st round picks since Fitz...

Rolle
Leinart
Levi
DRC
Beanie
Williams
PP
Floyd

Only PP looks to be a long term solution as of now... He's done well hitting on later picks but you need to hit on your top picks. Our FA signings have been garbage. I don't see how anyone could want him to stay.
_________________

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Jeff Tedford


A middle of the road collegiate coach? Can you tell me what the attraction here is?

I like Jeff, but his "grooming" of quarterbacks is overstated and to me he is what you call a "stepping stone" coach in college, a guy who is going to get you from a 4 win to to an 8 win team, but not much further.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
He has little to do with drafts. He doesn't even watch film...

Besides our drafts haven't been good. Look at our 1st round picks since Fitz...

Rolle
Leinart
Levi
DRC
Beanie
Williams
PP
Floyd

Only PP looks to be a long term solution as of now... He's done well hitting on later picks but you need to hit on your top picks. Our FA signings have been garbage. I don't see how anyone could want him to stay.



Whaaaaaat???? Seriously, wherever you heard that or whomever told you that Graves has nothing to do with the draft never talk Cardinals football with them again.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Excluding Ray Horton, Coaching Candidates Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Teams looking for head coaches that conduct thorough candidate interviews usually bring in 5-8 guys for those interviews. If you had to compile a 5-8 list of guys you wanted to bring in and speak with, who would make your lists?

Bruce Arians would make my list. I am just not sure if he wants to coach or not.


Pretty sure Bruce has made it clear he wants to be an NFL Head Coach.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
HighMotorGuy


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 586
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Excluding Ray Horton, Coaching Candidates Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Teams looking for head coaches that conduct thorough candidate interviews usually bring in 5-8 guys for those interviews. If you had to compile a 5-8 list of guys you wanted to bring in and speak with, who would make your lists?

Bruce Arians would make my list. I am just not sure if he wants to coach or not.


Pretty sure Bruce has made it clear he wants to be an NFL Head Coach.


I don't like it either way. 60 years old and never got HC gig? Something is not right here.

Personally, I think the Colts success goes down a lot of lucky wins against a weak schedule (2011 Cards) and the emotional uplift they have received from Pagano's illness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 13211
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
He has little to do with drafts. He doesn't even watch film...

Besides our drafts haven't been good. Look at our 1st round picks since Fitz...

Rolle
Leinart
Levi
DRC
Beanie
Williams
PP
Floyd

Only PP looks to be a long term solution as of now... He's done well hitting on later picks but you need to hit on your top picks. Our FA signings have been garbage. I don't see how anyone could want him to stay.



Whaaaaaat???? Seriously, wherever you heard that or whomever told you that Graves has nothing to do with the draft never talk Cardinals football with them again.


He doesn't scout prospects. Everyone knows this. He knows the phone numbers to other GM's though. If he does have a lot to do with drafting then it's not helping him in this argument.
_________________

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LuckyNumber11


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 5693
Location: Nebraska
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually be pretty mad if Graves wasn't fired. He's been here for so long and its time for a change. I do realize he made the drafts and signings that got us to the super bowl but lets not forget those painful years before that didn't give us any hope. I think its best if we part ways with Graves
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighMotorGuy


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 586
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
khodder wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
He has little to do with drafts. He doesn't even watch film...

Besides our drafts haven't been good. Look at our 1st round picks since Fitz...

Rolle
Leinart
Levi
DRC
Beanie
Williams
PP
Floyd

Only PP looks to be a long term solution as of now... He's done well hitting on later picks but you need to hit on your top picks. Our FA signings have been garbage. I don't see how anyone could want him to stay.



Whaaaaaat???? Seriously, wherever you heard that or whomever told you that Graves has nothing to do with the draft never talk Cardinals football with them again.


He doesn't scout prospects. Everyone knows this. He knows the phone numbers to other GM's though. If he does have a lot to do with drafting then it's not helping him in this argument.


I agree. Fitz is the last pro bowl caliber player we drafted on offense and this was nearly 10 years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2391
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
Jeff Tedford


A middle of the road collegiate coach? Can you tell me what the attraction here is?

I like Jeff, but his "grooming" of quarterbacks is overstated and to me he is what you call a "stepping stone" coach in college, a guy who is going to get you from a 4 win to to an 8 win team, but not much further.

It's only college...why does one team regardless of coach consistently win when others don't, i.e. LSU? Tradition, past history, but mostly the historical recruiting pool. Recruiting is a huge factor in college. In the NFL, money talks...with regards to attracting players, it equalizes the playing field, so to speak. So does simply being able to start at the NFL level. At Cal, what was Tedford ever going to pitch to counter the draw of the historical powerhouses in the SEC?

OK, Tedford himself: Offensively, I don't care about his reputation to groom a QB. His base offense has been a Pro-style offense which emphasizes the running game first and uses play-action passes off of that. I've repeatedly stated I can't stand Whis' over-emphasis on the passing game. Depending on the skill set of Tedford's players, he also admittedly has flirted with a predominantly passing offense if the running game wasn't there. IMHO, that speaks to me about a willingness to fit the system to the available players instead of blindly/stubbornly clinging to his preferred system/scheme. Over the years he has also added some elements of the Spread, tweaking those plays to cause uncertainty as to whether the ultimate play was a pass or run. I think the inclusion of these Spread formation plays keeps his offense from becoming stale and old-fashioned.

Defensively, he ran an attacking 3-4 D at Cal, so we could likely stick with our current system.

If you have no interest, that's fine. I actually want him as the OC in Buffalo! Laughing Just threw him out there because he's already available and has HC experience, though at the college level.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
apollo14000


Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 4239
Location: PA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Boise&cards Fan wrote:
At the end of the day my top 3 are

Ray horton
My top choice.

Bruce Arians OC of Indianapolis
Love what he doing with Luck and he filling in right now for the HC. All so like what he did with Big Ben.

Jay Gruden OC of Cincinnati
I like the offense and what he doing.


What I really like about Gruden is, in all 100% honesty, Andy Dalton really isn't any good. He's actually a totally sub-par player when I watch him play and I've seen 3 Cincy games just this year. Gruden has somehow worked through that (AJ Green helps..) and I give him major props for it.


This is exactly what I came here to say. Gruden has worked with an average to above average QB and produced on the field the way Whiz hasn't. I personally think Whiz's offensive scheme is very dated and predictable. I can watch one of our games and guess whether we run or pass 4 out 5 times. No joke. I imagine other teams can do that as well when they look at our film.

stchamp- would you feel good about a Barkley and Jay Gruden pairing?
_________________
Favorite 2015 Prospects: Tyler Lockett WR, Tevin Coleman RB, Laken Tomlinson OG, Shaq Thompson LB, Hau'oli Kikaha DE/OLB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
He doesn't scout prospects. Everyone knows this. He knows the phone numbers to other GM's though. If he does have a lot to do with drafting then it's not helping him in this argument.


1 - Never said he did
2 - Every GM knows every other GM's phone number'
3 - Never said it would, but Rod along with Ken and latterly Steve Keim have been the big voices in the draft room.

To say Rod Graves has little to do with drafts is akin to saying Ray Horton has little to do with our defense.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
stchamp- would you feel good about a Barkley and Jay Gruden pairing?


In the second round I would not mind it at all. LT or Pass rusher in the first, add Barkley in the second.

Jay Gruden runs the type of timing short passing offense with the odd deep shot that would fit the skillset of Barkley which is best suited to the timing routes that emphasize the short/intermediate between the numbers game.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 13211
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
He doesn't scout prospects. Everyone knows this. He knows the phone numbers to other GM's though. If he does have a lot to do with drafting then it's not helping him in this argument.


1 - Never said he did
2 - Every GM knows every other GM's phone number'
3 - Never said it would, but Rod along with Ken and latterly Steve Keim have been the big voices in the draft room.

To say Rod Graves has little to do with drafts is akin to saying Ray Horton has little to do with our defense.


2 - Sarcasm obviously. He's not the main banana on draft day and our FA signings have been BAD other than Kurt and few others. He became GM in what 2001? How many winning season? You're trying to pick n' choose who should be held accountable. It doesn't work like that when our franchise hasn't been below average for the last decade plus.
_________________

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50830
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
You're trying to pick n' choose who should be held accountable. It doesn't work like that when our franchise hasn't been below average for the last decade plus.


I am not trying to pick and choose anything what is the first thing I mention in here

I mention the benefits of Rod Graves are enough to keep him around for a while, possibly promoted into a "executive" role where he can deal with everything he does best and pass on the drafting voice and the scouting stuff et al to Steve Keim.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 13211
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
You're trying to pick n' choose who should be held accountable. It doesn't work like that when our franchise hasn't been below average for the last decade plus.


I am not trying to pick and choose anything what is the first thing I mention in here

I mention the benefits of Rod Graves are enough to keep him around for a while, possibly promoted into a "executive" role where he can deal with everything he does best and pass on the drafting voice and the scouting stuff et al to Steve Keim.


I thought you've been calling for Rod's head the last couple years...
_________________

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group