Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

After Sunday, it's Chip Kelly or Bust
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s_camp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
How long would Chip Kelly get?

Well, if the team shows some fire every once in a while, there appears to be a game plan more often than not, and opponents aren't scoring in the 50s like it's going out of style, then Kelly would probably get a bit more time than Munch.

Last edited by s_camp on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i think of it. Just NO to Chip Kelly.

It's almost like going out and signing the most expensive free agent and thinking your team is automatically good.

I just dont understand how people think he is going to come to the NFL and all the sudden be this offensive mastermind.

I maybe wrong, but nothing about that sounds logical.
SoundScan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with Chip Kelly. You're not hiring him only for his offensive mind, but also for his proven ability to build and sustain a quality program and his eye for top-level talent, especially talent that fits into his system. That's what Belichick does better than anyone--find the right guys to slot into his system. There are a lot of intangibles involved in being a head coach beyond a unique playbook.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundScan wrote:
I'm fine with Chip Kelly. You're not hiring him only for his offensive mind, but also for his proven ability to build and sustain a quality program and his eye for top-level talent, especially talent that fits into his system. That's what Belichick does better than anyone--find the right guys to slot into his system. There are a lot of intangibles involved in being a head coach beyond a unique playbook.

You base that off 4 years of running a college program? Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino had those qualities as well on the collegiate level. They failed miserably. What sets Chip Kelly apart? I'd rather have a guy whose shown those qualities at the pro level. The college game is sooo much different than the pro game. There is a reason that Jim Harbaugh is one of the only coaches since Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer to come from the college ranks and excel in the NFL.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the best HC in the 3rd best conference in college football is the best choice for an NFL team. This would Oakland hiring Lane Kiffin level stupid

**RIP Steve McNair**
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
SoundScan wrote:

You base that off 4 years of running a college program? Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino had those qualities as well on the collegiate level. They failed miserably. What sets Chip Kelly apart? I'd rather have a guy whose shown those qualities at the pro level. The college game is sooo much different than the pro game. There is a reason that Jim Harbaugh is one of the only coaches since Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer to come from the college ranks and excel in the NFL.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the best HC in the 3rd best conference in college football is the best choice for
an NFL team. This would Oakland hiring Lane Kiffin level stupid

We get it, you hate Chip Kelly. But why do you feel the need to discredit anything anyone says about him purely off hate?
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
SoundScan wrote:

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the best HC in the 3rd best conference in college football is the best choice for

We get it, you hate Chip Kelly. But why do you feel the need to discredit anything anyone says about him purely off hate?

What are you talking about? CM78 has very good reasoning. Not many college coaches succeed in the NFL. Just because someone doesn't want Chip Kelly, doesn't mean they hate them.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
SoundScan wrote:

and I assuming that you have nothing sensible left to offer to this debate, which is why you've resorted to the 'you're just a hater' rebuttal.

**RIP Steve McNair**
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
SoundScan wrote:

and I assuming that you have nothing sensible left to offer to this debate, which is why you've resorted to the 'you're just a hater' rebuttal.

Quoted from you in another thread,

"I'd hate

Jon Gruden - everyone remembers the Super Bowl he won with Tony Dungy's players. Everyone forgets the mess he left Tampa in. Carrying like 6 QB's on the 53 man roster, swapping them as random. He was hried to fix that offense, never did, and once the defense finally got old, it was clear Gruden wasn't contributing much.

Chip Kelly - I think my view on this is well documented."

So one, either your lying, or you really don't hate Chip Kelly and just wrote it for kicks. Also no one here is trying to argue with you so calm down. Nowhere did I say you were a "hater", I did say you hated chip though as referred to the quote which you said you do. This is hardly worth arguing about, it's really a moot point if whoever can come in brings us a winning record. All I said was I think Kelly could be the guy.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides make compelling arguments about Chip Kelley for or against. But he's just as much of a hit or miss as anybody else who's never been a HC in the NFL. Hiring him on would be a big gamble, but so would taking on another team's OC or DC. Nobody's a guaranteed success or failure. For all anybody knows, Kelley could turn out be another Jimmy Johnson, or he could be another Nick Saban. We won't know until we see him. It's going to depend on how much room will the FO give him to operate, and how much time will they allow him turn things around. Personally, I don't have a problem with bringing him in. If the guy can manage things and create schemes that will utilize our talent to the fullest, why the Hell not give him a shot? Football is still football on any level. He could be just the guy we need. But that's just me.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:

Quoted from you in another thread,

"I'd hate

Jon Gruden - everyone remembers the Super Bowl he won with Tony Dungy's players. Everyone forgets the mess he left Tampa in. Carrying like 6 QB's on the 53 man roster, swapping them as random. He was hried to fix that offense, never did, and once the defense finally got old, it was clear Gruden wasn't contributing much.

Chip Kelly - I think my view on this is well documented."

So one, either your lying, or you really don't hate Chip Kelly and just wrote it for kicks. Also no one here is trying to argue with you so calm down. Nowhere did I say you were a "hater", I did say you hated chip though as referred to the quote which you said you do. This is hardly worth arguing about, it's really a moot point if whoever can come in brings us a winning record. All I said was I think Kelly could be the guy.
'

Well if you look around the forum at my posts on Kelly you'd see I've laid out very logical reason for why I don't think Chip Kelly would be a good choice. Credit you for picking out the one post where I didn't go into detail on the situation. You said I'm going out of my way to discredit the man based on hate. That is not true. I don't hate the man at all, forgive me if that got misconstrued, I'm not that immature. I'd just hate a scenario that brought us an unprepared HC based off an over hyped college offense. Especially when the biggest criticism of the current coach is how unprepared he seems to be. However I've even gone so far as to say I'd be interested in Kelly in Tennessee, as an OC. But to bring him in as a HC with 0 NFL experience is absurd to me.

All I want is for someone to give me a compelling argument as to why he's a good candidate. This is the point of a forum after all. Especially in a thread entitled 'Chip Kelly or bust.' How is he different than Spurrier, Petrino, or Kiffin (these being the 3 most recent coaches to get NFL jobs based on prolific college offenses) I know he's a great offensive mind, so are the previously mentioned 3. But how is he going to deal with the rigors of the NFL. Is he going to demand personnel control? What kind of staff is a man with no NFL ties or credentials going to put together? Is he going to bring in a bunch of his Oregon staff? How does a coach whose lost 4 games in his D-1 coaching career deal with a team who loses 4 in a row? This the type of thing I wonder about and the type of thing I feel Chip Kelly supporters don't take into account.

**RIP Steve McNair**
SoundScan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
SoundScan wrote:

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the best HC in the 3rd best conference in college football is the best choice for an NFL team. This would Oakland hiring Lane Kiffin level stupid

Blah, blah, blah. I wasn't overtly advocating for Chip Kelly to be the next Titans HC, I'm simply stating that I wouldn't be upset with the hire. I could make a list of pros and cons for coaches at every level of football. Half the coaches in the NFL are mediocre or just plain terrible. What's the harm in giving someone with a fresh perspective a chance?

You just need to admit that coaching hires are a total crap-shoot.
lovetitans

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personly dont want Chip Kelly here, not because i think he will fail but i think for him to build a succesfull team he needs full controll of the team when it comes to personel moves, and i dont think Bud will let that happen.

like someone already said he excels at finding talent that fit his plan, thats easier to do as a collage coach because he has controll over all recruting. Thats why i think he will want to go to the Eagles anyway they are going to give him the same power Reid had.
Titans fan 617

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovetitans wrote:
I personly dont want Chip Kelly here, not because i think he will fail but i think for him to build a succesfull team he needs full controll of the team when it comes to personel moves, and i dont think Bud will let that happen.

like someone already said he excels at finding talent that fit his plan, thats easier to do as a collage coach because he has controll over all recruting. Thats why i think he will want to go to the Eagles anyway they are going to give him the same power Reid had.

Thats what i said he'll never get full control here i see him heading to the Panthers that whole Franchise is in the crapper right now but they have Newton which can turn things around with the right coach

Sig by daboyle250

TITANIA FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Shaun Phillips: 8 Tackles 5 Assist 1 Sack

Ropati Pitoitua: 9 Tackles 4 Assist 1 Sack
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundScan wrote:
You just need to admit that coaching hires are a total crap-shoot.

That doesn't necessarily strengthen the Kelly to Titans argument...lol If it's such a crap shoot, why not just take a cheaper more experienced choice?
Rather than...
A College coach with no NFL experience that will demand top dollar?
lovetitans

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have Kelly here as an offensive cordinator I think he would really shin at that job in the NFL but thats a pip dream because some team will offer full control of the team and he will build a winning team there, he just wont have the oppritunity to do that if he comes here as a head coach.

and the other thing i would be concerned about is his defense, no one has really talked about that. his offense is built to score fast, will he be able to put together a defense that can stop other top scoring teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: