Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

After Sunday, it's Chip Kelly or Bust
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chocolateman78


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 5347
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:


No they don't look like that against most team's hurry up offenses. But most teams don't run the hurry up as quickly as the Patriots. I remember a stat showed during last night's game. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of an average of 25 seconds between each play which was the lowest in the league. The Patriots hurry up isn't like most teams in the league, but it is like the one that Kelly has created at Oregon. The Patriots have even had Kelly in for some consultation in the offseason. I don't think that means much, but I do think the hurry up philosophies are very similar.


You're still discounting the fact that the Patriots are QB'd by one of histories finest arms. Can Chip Kelly turn Jake Locker into a Qb with pinpoint accuracy and execution? Cuz just speeding up the tempo of the offense isn't going to make Jake Locker, or whoever is QB, a better decision maker.

And no one is still accounting for the fact that he has NO NFL credentials. Really now, you think this team will have more respect for a college coach who hasn't even won a NC over an established NFL assistant coach (assuming Munch gets canned?) These are grown men we're talking about here. Are good quality NFL assistants gonna be swayed to join his staff based on a flashy college offense that hasn't won big? Regardless of whether or not his offense will work on the next level. Can he lead grown men when his ONLY experience is with boys? Think about this, he only has 6 years of coaching experience at the Division I level (2 as coordinator, 4 as HC). He's not even a seasoned college coach yet and you want to give him keys to a NFL FRANCHISE!! Absolute looney tunes

NO NO NO, If Munch wants to offer Chip the OC job, I'd be intrigued. But making this man the HC of our team is stupid. Like Oakland hiring Lane Kiffin stupid. Nick Saban is far and away a better college coach than Chip Kelly, had NFL credentials and he failed royally. No there not the same guy, but given the tremendous fail rate of college coaches, I have NO interest in hiring a guy is probably one of the least qualified candidates ever to be considered a 'hot candidate'


I know Tom Brady is great. What I'm saying is the hurry up of Kelly, Patriots, etc.. will set you up for easier throws. When you wear down a defense by not letting them substitute and you catch them off guard, you don't have to be an all time great like Brady to have success.

Only been a D1 coach for 6 years. But he's only been a D1 coach and he's taken a team from meh to perennial national champion contender. Just depends how you look at it.

Making him an NFL coach might be too much too soon. But if we wait we are guaranteed we won't get him or any other top candidate. Lets face it, HC of the Tennessee Titans is not at the top of anyones list. There is always going to be a bigger market team in front of us. If we want a top talent we are going to have to take a chance.


1st off where is the proof of this on the NFL level? Of show me a mid level QB whose running a spread option to consistent success against NFL defenses. You can't just assume it will work because Brady & co. do it and YOU think Chip Kelly's offense is similar.

Secondly it says to me that he's yet to show he can win big games on the college level. Why don't you win there first before you become a NFL HC. Further more he's never had to deal with negative team morale. Where's the proof of his ability to rally the troops? is this not a big critique of Munchack?

I'm just fine not getting him. Instead of wasting 3 years on the Chip Kelly NFL experiment, why don't we go after a hot assistant coach, Perry Fewell quickly comes to mind, who has already proven that he has what it takes to coach at the next level.
_________________

**RIP Steve McNair**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TwoToneBlue


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 6966
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:


No they don't look like that against most team's hurry up offenses. But most teams don't run the hurry up as quickly as the Patriots. I remember a stat showed during last night's game. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of an average of 25 seconds between each play which was the lowest in the league. The Patriots hurry up isn't like most teams in the league, but it is like the one that Kelly has created at Oregon. The Patriots have even had Kelly in for some consultation in the offseason. I don't think that means much, but I do think the hurry up philosophies are very similar.


You're still discounting the fact that the Patriots are QB'd by one of histories finest arms. Can Chip Kelly turn Jake Locker into a Qb with pinpoint accuracy and execution? Cuz just speeding up the tempo of the offense isn't going to make Jake Locker, or whoever is QB, a better decision maker.

And no one is still accounting for the fact that he has NO NFL credentials. Really now, you think this team will have more respect for a college coach who hasn't even won a NC over an established NFL assistant coach (assuming Munch gets canned?) These are grown men we're talking about here. Are good quality NFL assistants gonna be swayed to join his staff based on a flashy college offense that hasn't won big? Regardless of whether or not his offense will work on the next level. Can he lead grown men when his ONLY experience is with boys? Think about this, he only has 6 years of coaching experience at the Division I level (2 as coordinator, 4 as HC). He's not even a seasoned college coach yet and you want to give him keys to a NFL FRANCHISE!! Absolute looney tunes

NO NO NO, If Munch wants to offer Chip the OC job, I'd be intrigued. But making this man the HC of our team is stupid. Like Oakland hiring Lane Kiffin stupid. Nick Saban is far and away a better college coach than Chip Kelly, had NFL credentials and he failed royally. No there not the same guy, but given the tremendous fail rate of college coaches, I have NO interest in hiring a guy is probably one of the least qualified candidates ever to be considered a 'hot candidate'


I know Tom Brady is great. What I'm saying is the hurry up of Kelly, Patriots, etc.. will set you up for easier throws. When you wear down a defense by not letting them substitute and you catch them off guard, you don't have to be an all time great like Brady to have success.

Only been a D1 coach for 6 years. But he's only been a D1 coach and he's taken a team from meh to perennial national champion contender. Just depends how you look at it.

Making him an NFL coach might be too much too soon. But if we wait we are guaranteed we won't get him or any other top candidate. Lets face it, HC of the Tennessee Titans is not at the top of anyones list. There is always going to be a bigger market team in front of us. If we want a top talent we are going to have to take a chance.


1st off where is the proof of this on the NFL level? Of show me a mid level QB whose running a spread option to consistent success against NFL defenses. You can't just assume it will work because Brady & co. do it and YOU think Chip Kelly's offense is similar.

Secondly it says to me that he's yet to show he can win big games on the college level. Why don't you win there first before you become a NFL HC. Further more he's never had to deal with negative team morale. Where's the proof of his ability to rally the troops? is this not a big critique of Munchack?

I'm just fine not getting him. Instead of wasting 3 years on the Chip Kelly NFL experiment, why don't we go after a hot assistant coach, Perry Fewell quickly comes to mind, who has already proven that he has what it takes to coach at the next level.


I'm not saying he would run the same system that the Patriots do. We don't have good enough TE's to do that for starters and Locker and Brady are in different leagues. I'm just saying the concept of the 100mph pace on offense is the same. I don't see any other team in the NFL run plays the way the Pats do unless you see comparisons with another team?

I don't know why you say he hasn't won big games. He just won the Rose Bowl last year. And he has 3 Pac10 championships in 4 seasons as head coach. You don't get that without winning some big games. Yes, he has also lost 2 BCS bowl games, but I'm not going to act like that means he can't win big games.

Idk about Fewell. He's been interviewed every season for a while and no one has given him the job. The Rooney rule excuse can only go so far. I mean really, how many interviews has the guy had?
_________________
"That's a piece of it.."
-Ken Whisenhunt's answer to life's hardest questions

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19217
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
Hey guys Oregon fan here. I think a small market is better for Chip. He doesn't like press. He doesn't like attention. He likes coaching. That is his life. he isn't married or have kids. He loves to coach. I think that is why he looked at TB.

You guys are similar. You have a mobile younger QB that needs molded like TB did. As far as only a CFB coach. Chip doesn't out talent 1/2 his opponents. Oregon has had less players drafted in the last three years then Washington, Arizona, UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford and maybe even Oregon State. Think about this: Oregon beat Wisconsin last year by scoring nearly 50 after Wisky had over a month to prepare. The best player Oregon had was LaMichael James. James was the 6th RB drafted even behind Cincinnati's RB. He used a QB who was undrafted as well.

I could see him being a good fit here.


Based on all of this added info about Kelly, man I'm sold!!! This is just the kid of guy we need because our organization has been lacking imagination and development for years. A small market team would be right up his alley. But how is he when it comes to discipline and demanding respect? Is he the kind of coach that will get in somebody's a$$ and put them in check if they're screwing up?
He is no nonsense. He likes to have fun and such but he doesn't like trouble makers. Oregons best defensive player Cliff Harris was kicked off the team the summer after being an All American and upcoming potential first round pick. Since 2010 every player that has signed with Oregon has been on campus. What that means is they don't offer players unless they know they can get grades and such to go to the school. He does a lot of checking of character when he looks for players.

He also does not care if a player is viewed as better. For example his WRs he demands blocking. Oregon best WR in a signing class just transferred because a Walk-on moved above him in the depth chart because he wasn't physical enough in his blocking. He doesn't care if you are a walk-on (UDFA) or a highly touted recruit (high draft pick). He will put the best players out to play. His motto to WRs is block or don't get the rock.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19217
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
Secondly it says to me that he's yet to show he can win big games on the college level. Why don't you win there first before you become a NFL HC. Further more he's never had to deal with negative team morale. Where's the proof of his ability to rally the troops? is this not a big critique of Munchack?

I'm just fine not getting him. Instead of wasting 3 years on the Chip Kelly NFL experiment, why don't we go after a hot assistant coach, Perry Fewell quickly comes to mind, who has already proven that he has what it takes to coach at the next level.
The first game he every coached his team completely melted. Their best RB hit a guy after a terrible team loss and was suspended for 8 games. They dropped to nearly the bottom of the top 25 and lots of people gave up on the team completely. He kept the kids heads up and after a few close wins they started getting rolling.

He had his starting QB in 2010 get arrested for theft and had to turn the turmoil of the offseason into a winning season. That year with a new QB they went to the National Championship game for the first time in the schools history. After losing his starting QB for the year. As far as big games I disagree.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19217
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8738600/nfl-jaws-chip-kelly-schemes-revolutionize-nfl-offense

Anyone with insider can read this.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dionysus


Joined: 24 May 2009
Posts: 1700
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8738600/nfl-jaws-chip-kelly-schemes-revolutionize-nfl-offense

Anyone with insider can read this.


Excellent read with very valid points. But, who's to say that can't mold his offense to fit the pro level? The things about him that got my attention were his ability to adapt his schemes to fit the talent and get the most out of his players, as I said before, and the amount of success he's had with less talent than most teams. That speaks volumes to me because it tells me that he knows his sh-t when it comes to X's and O's and his personnel. And I dont care what level it's on...college, pros, high school, etc. I think his biggest challenge will be going from coaching boys to coaching overpaid grown men.
_________________
HEALTH STATEMENT: I'm not "fat", just well nutritioned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
therealdeal


Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 10435
Location: Nashville,Tn
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
After watching what he's done with the Rams, I'm wishing we would have never ran off Fisher. I know tempers flared here, but a lot of the problem was Vince Young.

Oh well, I guess. He's sitting back laughing at us now.



You can't blame the problems of a "TEAM" on one player...
_________________
Tennessee Titans Baby!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10435
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealdeal wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
After watching what he's done with the Rams, I'm wishing we would have never ran off Fisher. I know tempers flared here, but a lot of the problem was Vince Young.

Oh well, I guess. He's sitting back laughing at us now.



You can't blame the problems of a "TEAM" on one player...


Tell that to the ones who blames/blamed Collins, Hasselbeck, CJ, Amano, Griff,...enter other Titans here...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titansNvolsR#1


Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 12178
Location: Kuwait City
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With Munchak’s annual salary in the $2.75 million to $3 million range, yes, it would cost Adams more if he let him go early, but Adams wouldn’t flinch if he wanted to make a change. He’s proven that in the past.

The Titans wouldn’t be on the hook for a boatload of contracts for Munchak’s assistants either. None of his assistants are under contract through 2014.

When Munchak was hired, he signed defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and offensive coordinator Chris Palmer to three-year deals. Palmer was fired last month, and Gray’s contract expires after the 2013 season. Munchak’s other assistants have contracts that expire either after this season or after next season

_________________
My Student wrote:
Give your girlfriend my number, Mr. Garrett. I may be 12, but she deserves a real man. Not someone that gives homework in Math and Science the same night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingTitan


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 10435
Location: Nashville,TN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Munchak really embarrasses the franchise monday night on National TV and bombs the last few games, he most likely will be back next year.

Changes to his staff will be forced and I'm hoping the front office makes some moves that sane personnel people would make. Not do things like give Griff a buttload of money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-Munch-


Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Posts: 3005
Location: Tennessee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Unless Munchak really embarrasses the franchise monday night on National TV and bombs the last few games, he most likely will be back next year.

Changes to his staff will be forced and I'm hoping the front office makes some moves that sane personnel people would make. Not do things like give Griff a buttload of money.


Does this mean we want him to get embaressed? I honestly really don't want to see him back next year, even though I named myself after him.

But I don't want to see this team lose. Bottom line I still really like our players and I think these guys work hard and deserve to get a big win. I just hope Munchak doesn't get the credit for it.
_________________
Welcome Whisenhunt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanLegend


Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3609
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealdeal wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
After watching what he's done with the Rams, I'm wishing we would have never ran off Fisher. I know tempers flared here, but a lot of the problem was Vince Young.

Oh well, I guess. He's sitting back laughing at us now.



You can't blame the problems of a "TEAM" on one player...


The team had issues, but Vince was the majority of the problem. Him and Bud Adams, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ragevsuall17


Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 5642
Location: TX
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Unless Munchak really embarrasses the franchise monday night on National TV and bombs the last few games, he most likely will be back next year.

Changes to his staff will be forced and I'm hoping the front office makes some moves that sane personnel people would make. Not do things like give Griff a buttload of money.


The thing is... even if he still has 2 years left on his contract... he's going in basically as a lame duck coach next year... with no wiggle room. Struggle again, and you're gone.

Any new coordinators would be going into this scenario... which doesn't usually promote successful football teams or franchises. Munchack wouldn't be able to attract any coordinators worth their contracts (Titans would have to overpay the top candidates or would have to bring in relative nobody's who have no other real options). I guess at OC, Loggains fits that description and is already in place. But a new DC would be a different story. I just don't know how effective a new DC would be in this scenario.

I honestly see it as an everyone or no one scenario. You go with Munch/Loggains/Gray next year... or you go with an all new crew. I don't know if any of us have the patience to see Munch become a good HC. He went from A-ball to the Major Leagues... and its shown that he just wasn't ready for that jump.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FootballProdiG


Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Posts: 8497
Location: The Film Room
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Unless Munchak really embarrasses the franchise monday night on National TV and bombs the last few games, he most likely will be back next year.

Changes to his staff will be forced and I'm hoping the front office makes some moves that sane personnel people would make. Not do things like give Griff a buttload of money.


The thing is... even if he still has 2 years left on his contract... he's going in basically as a lame duck coach next year... with no wiggle room. Struggle again, and you're gone.

Any new coordinators would be going into this scenario... which doesn't usually promote successful football teams or franchises. Munchack wouldn't be able to attract any coordinators worth their contracts (Titans would have to overpay the top candidates or would have to bring in relative nobody's who have no other real options). I guess at OC, Loggains fits that description and is already in place. But a new DC would be a different story. I just don't know how effective a new DC would be in this scenario.

I honestly see it as an everyone or no one scenario. You go with Munch/Loggains/Gray next year... or you go with an all new crew. I don't know if any of us have the patience to see Munch become a good HC. He went from A-ball to the Major Leagues... and its shown that he just wasn't ready for that jump.


I agree with your assessment. Munchak has driven this team into the deep pits of the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chocolateman78


Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 5347
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Unless Munchak really embarrasses the franchise monday night on National TV and bombs the last few games, he most likely will be back next year.

Changes to his staff will be forced and I'm hoping the front office makes some moves that sane personnel people would make. Not do things like give Griff a buttload of money.


The thing is... even if he still has 2 years left on his contract... he's going in basically as a lame duck coach next year... with no wiggle room. Struggle again, and you're gone.

Any new coordinators would be going into this scenario... which doesn't usually promote successful football teams or franchises. Munchack wouldn't be able to attract any coordinators worth their contracts (Titans would have to overpay the top candidates or would have to bring in relative nobody's who have no other real options). I guess at OC, Loggains fits that description and is already in place. But a new DC would be a different story. I just don't know how effective a new DC would be in this scenario.

I honestly see it as an everyone or no one scenario. You go with Munch/Loggains/Gray next year... or you go with an all new crew. I don't know if any of us have the patience to see Munch become a good HC. He went from A-ball to the Major Leagues... and its shown that he just wasn't ready for that jump.


I agree with your assessment. Munchak has driven this team into the deep pits of the NFL.


If its clear that the fan base doesn't have the patience for Munch to grow into a good HC considering he's only had ONE offseason with the team. What makes Chip Kelly so appealing, seeing how he would be learning the pro game from scratch.

This isn't directed solely at You rage, but its a question that bears asking since the fan base has quickly grown sour on Munch. How long would Chip Kelly get?
_________________

**RIP Steve McNair**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group