Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sloppy28's Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Sloppy28's Mock Draft Reply with quote

This is my logical mock draft based off of need and player rankings (CBS NFL Draft Rankings 12/04/12). I am not going to go into who we release and resign because we all have a pretty good idea of who should be kept and who should be let go. I will also assume we are picking somewhere between #13-18. Here goes nothing...

Free agency Pick-ups:
Dennis Pitta, TE, Ravens
Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Lions
Kraig Urbik, OG, Bills
Moise Fokou, ILB, Colts

Round 1 - C.J. Mosley, OLB, Alabama(#21)...
This may be a little high for Mosley depending on where we pick, but he would bring needed skills to our defense. Our linebackers have to be upgraded, and if we pick up Fokou (Audie Cole could still fight for the position) and draft Mosley, our LB core just got a much needed upgrade.

Round 2 - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee(#53)...
This pick for me is the easiest to make - he just fits with us so perfectly. People on here are screaming for a deep threat WR- but why? Ponder can't throw the ball deep well, so lets get play-makes that fit well with him because I think he will still be starting next year, like it or not. He is a dynamic player similar to Percy and Randall Cobb. He could be lined up all over the field and specializes in short routes, end arounds and yards after the catch. Patterson, Peterson, and Percy would be a match-up nightmare for all defenses.

Round 3 - Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky(#61)...
I know this might be wishful thinking, but since guards have a tendency to slip and this is my mock, I'm taking Warford in the 3rd! Plan and simply, he is a beast and would instantly improve our line. We added a right guard in free agency, and got our starting left guard in the 3rd round of the draft.

Round 4 - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt(#115)...

Round 4 - Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia(#130)...

Round 5 - Everett Dawkins, DT, FSU(#125)...

Round 6 - DeVonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina(#145)...

Round 6 - Demontre Hurst, CB, Oklahoma(#180)...

Upgrades to LG, RG, DT, ILB, OLB, WR, SS... Depth to CB, OLB, TE, DT.. Criticism is welcomed and encouraged Very Happy you won't hurt my feelings!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really have too much of a problem with it. Just curious about why we're drafting so low. Are we going to win 3 of our last 4 games?

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont really like the fa signings, none of them are really a big upgrade to what we have now. Except maybe Urbik.

And i dont care for taking Mosley there. Ogletree, Hunter, Allen or Terrence Williams would all be better value imo.

I do like the Patterson pick tho.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good mock overall.

I love Mosley, Patterson and Warford as prospects, all three could be day one starters.

I also like the free agent signgins of Urbick and Hill, Urbick can start at RG and Hill looks like an effective 1 technique to replace Guion.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swaps wrote:
I dont really have too much of a problem with it. Just curious about why we're drafting so low. Are we going to win 3 of our last 4 games?

Based on records and strength of schedule via NFL.com, we are selected to be picking 18th as it stands this morning... So, if we win 1 or 2 games to finish 7-9 or 8-8, we will probably still be sitting in that 15-19 range unless you think that there are going to be a lot of teams below us winning out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
Dont really like the fa signings, none of them are really a big upgrade to what we have now. Except maybe Urbik.

And i dont care for taking Mosley there. Ogletree, Hunter, Allen or Terrence Williams would all be better value imo.

After watching the Bama/Georgia game, I'm not sold on Ogletree as a run defender for the middle of our defense. I came away from that game more impressed with Mosley. Also, I am not sold on giving up on Cole yet at ILB either, he showed some promise in the preseason and right now they may be pushing him hard in the weight room to put on some needed muscle. I think he still has a fighting chance to be the future in our middle until he proves me wrong.

I'm also not sold on Hunter that high and I think Patterson in the 2nd over Hunter in the first brings a lot more value to this team. I was thinking about it more in a 3 round scenario, rather than just 1 round. What 3 players can I get that would be day 1 starters and huge upgrades and make their impact felt? I felt like I achieved that here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Good mock overall.

I love Mosley, Patterson and Warford as prospects, all three could be day one starters.

I also like the free agent signgins of Urbick and Hill, Urbick can start at RG and Hill looks like an effective 1 technique to replace Guion.

Thanks VR. I could see us walking into the season next year with around 6 new (upgraded) starters after this FA and mock draft. I have watched film on Warford and really, really like him. If we could snag him in the 3rd we will have an excellent starter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy28 wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:

After watching the Bama/Georgia game, I'm not sold on Ogletree as a run defender for the middle of our defense. I came away from that game more impressed with Mosley. Also, I am not sold on giving up on Cole yet at ILB either, he showed some promise in the preseason and right now they may be pushing him hard in the weight room to put on some needed muscle. I think he still has a fighting chance to be the future in our middle until he proves me wrong.

I'm also not sold on Hunter that high and I think Patterson in the 2nd over Hunter in the first brings a lot more value to this team. I was thinking about it more in a 3 round scenario, rather than just 1 round. What 3 players can I get that would be day 1 starters and huge upgrades and make their impact felt? I felt like I achieved that here.

Cole was a 7th round pick who played well against 3rd and 4th stringers. I wouldnt consider him part of the future going forward and I dont consider it giving up on him if MN drafts a different MLB. 7th rd picks rarely make an impact as as starter.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Sloppy28 wrote:
Eric dunn wrote:

Cole was a 7th round pick who played well against 3rd and 4th stringers. I wouldnt consider him part of the future going forward and I dont consider it giving up on him if MN drafts a different MLB. 7th rd picks rarely make an impact as as starter.

True, but I would rather plug Cole in between Mosley and Chad for a year and see what he can offer us over drafting a MLB high and not getting Warford or another LG to start day one. Cole to me has better value at MLB than any guard we have right now (or would draft after the 3rd) starting at LG. We could suffer for one more year with 2 good LB's out of 3. Don't forget that I brought in Moise Fokou at MLB during the off-season also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, I just have seen anything so far to suggest that Cole can even play MLB against 1st and even 2nd string players. Can he read and react, shed blocks, cover more skilled receivers, and read more skilled QBs?

Its truly hard to know until he actually does some of these things and he wont get the benefit of the doubt or similar opportunities as higher picks simply because he was a 7th rd pick. Basically, unless injuries deplete the MLB corp, the chances of him getting an opportunity to see the field on defense are probably remote.

He could even be a worse starter than Jasper Brinkley for all we know, so I am not sure if he has more value than the current starting OGs, or even Brinkley.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Possibly, I just have seen anything so far to suggest that Cole can even play MLB against 1st and even 2nd string players. Can he read and react, shed blocks, cover more skilled receivers, and read more skilled QBs?

Its truly hard to know until he actually does some of these things and he wont get the benefit of the doubt or similar opportunities as higher picks simply because he was a 7th rd pick. Basically, unless injuries deplete the MLB corp, the chances of him getting an opportunity to see the field on defense are probably remote.

He could even be a worse starter than Jasper Brinkley for all we know, so I am not sure if he has more value than the current starting OGs, or even Brinkley.

The fact of the matter is you aren't going to have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round draft pick starting at every position - it's just not going to happen. There are guys all over the league who are 6th and 7th round draft picks (along with UD FAs) who end up being starters, it has to happen once in awhile. I think Cole has the potential to be one of those guys. Cole was projected anywhere from the 3rd round to the 6th last year, its not like he isn't a talented guy. What makes you think he can't play? Innocent until proven guilty. He doesn't have to be a pro bowler, he just has to do what is asked of him and make some plays. I think he is worth a shot if we don't have the opportunity to draft Te'o. Am I going to be mad if we draft Ogletree or one of my favorite guys Arthur Brown instead of trying out Cole? Absolutely not. I'm not a Cole homer... I'm just trying to get as many starters out of my mock draft as possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: