Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills #1 on top five landing spots for Michael Vick in 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BrettFavre4


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 341
Location: Buffalo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bills #1 on top five landing spots for Michael Vick in 2013 Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--direct-snap--top-five-spots-where-michael-vick-could-play-in-2013-184931194.html

Interesting article by Jason Cole on where Vick will land this offseason according to three NFL sources he talked to this week. Buffalo's #1 on the list:

Quote:
Now that coach Andy Reid has carried out the carefully planned firing of Michael Vick as Philadelphia Eagles' starting quarterback, attention turns to where the passer may play next season.

After talking to three NFL sources this week, here's a look at the likely landing spots for Vick this offseason.

1. Buffalo Bills Though the team publicly denied being interested in Vick in 2009, a source close to the quarterback insists the Bills were a suitor. Additionally, current Bills starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is a nice player, but hardly a franchise guy. The Bills are built to win as soon as possible. Adding Vick to a team that has a solid offensive line would be an immediate boost. Also, coach Chan Gailey has experience working with mobile quarterbacks from his days in Pittsburgh with Kordell Stewart. Vick is far more talented than Stewart ever was, so Gailey could easily make this work.


Browns, Jets, Cardinals, and Eagles are the other four teams on the list, in that order.

It's no secret the Bills were interested in Vick a few years ago no matter how much we deny it. What are your thoughts of Vick potentially in Buffalo? If we got him, it'd undoubtedly spell the end for Fitz here, which is why I don't see it happening.

For me, I don't see us getting him and I'm not sure how much better we'd be with Vick over Fitzpatrick at this point. Consensus is we draft a QB in one of the early rounds and if he doesn't beat out Fitzpatrick or whoever our starter is, he sits on the bench for the year to learn. Vick's 32, so if it were him instead of Fitz, we'd still be stuck without a franchise guy in place for 2013. I think Vick is by far the better player but his injuries (namely concussions) concern me greatly and he's not getting younger. The toll his body takes doesn't make me feel any better that he'd be able to withstand playing a full season again in his career, no matter how much better our line is than Philly's. Again, I think Vick's far more talented than Fitz. He has the mobility and he has the stronger arm, albeit his accuracy is sometimes worrying. People will speculate he'd be a good fit with Gailey's past with mobile QBs but I'm not too sure the Bills would dump Fitzpatrick for Vick so easily.

Vick's a risk but we likely wouldn't be giving anything up for him in a trade. I imagine his trade value is pretty low right now and if he ends up landing elsewhere, it will be because he is released during the offseason and the Bills would sign him to an affordable contract for a short term. Again, I'm not so sure this wouldn't be a lateral move at this point, although like I said, Vick is the better player and with him I do believe we'd be more successful. The question is his stability and health.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillsGuy82


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 9525
Location: Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May keep Fitz as well for insurance policy.. Who knows, we need an upgrade so that works
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
jb_gobills


Moderator
Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 14717
Location: Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I don't think he would be the answer. I see Fitzpatrick staying for at least another year and the Bills re-signing Tarvaris Jackson. It's hard to imagine Buffalo giving up a draft pick for Jackson, keeping him inactive for sixteen games, and then letting him go. Tyler Thigpen will be gone, and knowing the Bills Brad Smith might still stick around. Fitz / Vick / Jackson / Smith would be one possible scenario. While Vick is obviously better than Thigpen, would this really improve the position enough?
_________________

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3996
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like VY has better tools and is more mobile then Fitzpatrick, Michael Vick is the same, and just like VY got cut, i think MV would be the same. Gailey's system is complicated and takes a lot of time and commitment to learn. I don't think Vick has what it takes to do so.


I think this is the year we draft a QB, not in round 1 (unless Tyler Wilson falls) but somewhere 2-4. There is a boat load of prospects type guys out there, Glennon, Boyd, Nassib, Murray, and Dysert to name a few. We now have enough talent on the roster IMO to take a prospect and try to groom him for a year or two in Gailey's system.


Vick = NO, for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrettFavre4


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 341
Location: Buffalo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Just like VY has better tools and is more mobile then Fitzpatrick, Michael Vick is the same, and just like VY got cut, i think MV would be the same. Gailey's system is complicated and takes a lot of time and commitment to learn. I don't think Vick has what it takes to do so.


I think this is the year we draft a QB, not in round 1 (unless Tyler Wilson falls) but somewhere 2-4. There is a boat load of prospects type guys out there, Glennon, Boyd, Nassib, Murray, and Dysert to name a few. We now have enough talent on the roster IMO to take a prospect and try to groom him for a year or two in Gailey's system.


Vick = NO, for me.


I'm not saying Vick would be our savior but he's miles away better than Young, which is why Young was Vick's backup with the Eagles. They play a similar style, although I think Vick's better in literally all facets, including his decision-making. Another problem I see in Philadelphia this year was that Reid wanted Vick to become more of a pocket passer, which clearly was the wrong way to go, considering Vick's always been a mobile QB and one of the best in that regard to ever play. I see Vick being able to really use his strengths under Gailey a lot more than he's been allowed to under Reid. He's not a pocket passer at all. Reid had McNabb for so long who was one but Vick is a different type of QB and I don't think he'd fail here, at least not enough to not even earn a roster spot like Young didn't do.

Vick is still a starting QB in this league. That hasn't changed and I'm 100% sure of that. I think he's more of a starter than Fitzpatrick. Wherever he goes, he won't be on the bench as a backup.

I agree though that my preference is to take a QB in the second or third, unless we like a guy a whole lot that falls to where we pick in the first. If that's not the case, I'd much rather take a highly-rated LB, CB, or WR in the first to address our other major needs and hope to find a Dalton in the second or third. We're not getting Geno Smith and unless Wilson falls or we like Barkley enough, I'd rather wait and draft the best player available at the other positions of need I listed in the first instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3996
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
Just like VY has better tools and is more mobile then Fitzpatrick, Michael Vick is the same, and just like VY got cut, i think MV would be the same. Gailey's system is complicated and takes a lot of time and commitment to learn. I don't think Vick has what it takes to do so.


I think this is the year we draft a QB, not in round 1 (unless Tyler Wilson falls) but somewhere 2-4. There is a boat load of prospects type guys out there, Glennon, Boyd, Nassib, Murray, and Dysert to name a few. We now have enough talent on the roster IMO to take a prospect and try to groom him for a year or two in Gailey's system.


Vick = NO, for me.


I'm not saying Vick would be our savior but he's miles away better than Young, which is why Young was Vick's backup with the Eagles. They play a similar style, although I think Vick's better in literally all facets, including his decision-making. Another problem I see in Philadelphia this year was that Reid wanted Vick to become more of a pocket passer, which clearly was the wrong way to go, considering Vick's always been a mobile QB and one of the best in that regard to ever play. I see Vick being able to really use his strengths under Gailey a lot more than he's been allowed to under Reid. He's not a pocket passer at all. Reid had McNabb for so long who was one but Vick is a different type of QB and I don't think he'd fail here, at least not enough to not even earn a roster spot like Young didn't do.

Vick is still a starting QB in this league. That hasn't changed and I'm 100% sure of that. I think he's more of a starter than Fitzpatrick. Wherever he goes, he won't be on the bench as a backup.

I agree though that my preference is to take a QB in the second or third, unless we like a guy a whole lot that falls to where we pick in the first. If that's not the case, I'd much rather take a highly-rated LB, CB, or WR in the first to address our other major needs and hope to find a Dalton in the second or third. We're not getting Geno Smith and unless Wilson falls or we like Barkley enough, I'd rather wait and draft the best player available at the other positions of need I listed in the first instead.


I don't question his talent in the slightest, I just don't believe this late in his career he will have the commitment to learn a very complex offense, nor will he want to play in the snow for his home games. Vick had the chance to come here a few years ago and chose not too, what would make it any different this time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2364
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. My opinion: No. 2. The money: Where do we get enough for both Fitz and Vick and more importantly Byrd and Levitre? Or if we let go of Fitz and eat the Cap charges/bonuses/etc., we'll have how much left to sign the players who are very good plus a borderline QB that even his current team doesn't want?!? Brilliant! 3. Let's see, our offensive line excels at giving our QB a pocket and now we want a QB who isn't a pocket passer, so he will want to leave it instead because he performs better scrambling outside the pocket, requiring our OL to regroup and try to protect him without getting penalized?!? Brilliant again! 4. Revised opinion: Hell no! Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBillsFan13


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 16802
Location: So Cal
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure we will be atop the list of landing spots for EVERY halfway decent FA QB, just like always. And just like always, we won't sign them.

Which is just fine with me in this case.

Also, what Yibbyl said...
_________________
-Hope- wrote:
BBF droppin cold hard facts up in hurr
bucsfan333 wrote:
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tk3


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 2322
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thing.. Whether we have Fitz or Vick, we NEED to start looking at a long term option..

The question is, in the MEANTIME which QB is better for us?

Personally, I think if the money is right you go with Vick..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thelonebillsfan


Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 12158
Location: In the ether
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a stop gap QB to groom a rookie behind and I honestly think Vick gives us a better chance to win games than Fitzy at this point. Why the hell not.
_________________


Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbadbuff23835


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 8823
Location: NY
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone is better than Fitz. So beyond done..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
swolfdab


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 1371
Location: Hayward, CA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alex Smith would be a perfect fit here in Buffalo. Send him over here with Greg Roman as our HC. That would be the ideal situation.

Michael Vick is done in the NFL
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10269
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
I think Alex Smith would be a perfect fit here in Buffalo. Send him over here with Greg Roman as our HC. That would be the ideal situation.

Michael Vick is done in the NFL




There is a reason why Alex Smith isnt the 9ers QB anymore, and its not only because Kaep is balling. Its because Smith isnt that good. He is the ultimate game manager, but is too hesitant to throw the ball down field. He also doesnt like to throw into tight windows.

No thank you.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3996
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
swolfdab wrote:
I think Alex Smith would be a perfect fit here in Buffalo. Send him over here with Greg Roman as our HC. That would be the ideal situation.

Michael Vick is done in the NFL




There is a reason why Alex Smith isnt the 9ers QB anymore, and its not only because Kaep is balling. Its because Smith isnt that good. He is the ultimate game manager, but is too hesitant to throw the ball down field. He also doesnt like to throw into tight windows.

No thank you.


What if we have Alex Smith and Norv Turner as HC? They worked well together in 06. Anything but Gailey/Fitz next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10269
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
swolfdab wrote:
I think Alex Smith would be a perfect fit here in Buffalo. Send him over here with Greg Roman as our HC. That would be the ideal situation.

Michael Vick is done in the NFL




There is a reason why Alex Smith isnt the 9ers QB anymore, and its not only because Kaep is balling. Its because Smith isnt that good. He is the ultimate game manager, but is too hesitant to throw the ball down field. He also doesnt like to throw into tight windows.

No thank you.


What if we have Alex Smith and Norv Turner as HC? They worked well together in 06. Anything but Gailey/Fitz next season.
No. I dont think Alex Smith could succeed in this stadium with the winds and weather, also like I said he is a game manager, a game manager needs a good defense, right now we have a decent defense nothing to write home to mom about.

Plus, I dont think Norv would be our coach. I am under the impression that Gailey wont be going anywhere.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group