Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Wide Receivers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollino14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen a noticeable decline in play from our wide receivers this year?

I've seen two aspects in which our WRs have declined in play.

1. Seperation- I really do not see much seperation by our WRs this year. Aaron has to be precise on every throw it seems. When our line actually does their job and protects Aaron, there are many times where theres nobody to throw to and he takes a sack.

2. Big plays- I do not see our WRs make plays after the catch this year. I do not see a lot of big strikes. Its been more of a short pass offense instead of our quick strike offense that we are so used to seeing.

Our offense has not been as efficient as it has been in the past and I think our WRs are to blame. Yes our O line has been poor, but our strength of our team has been our WR group and they're not getting it done this year.

I think the reason is simple personally. Greg Jennings. A lot of people on this forum downgrade the contribution of Jennings but after this year I think it's evident on how much he means for our offense. Jennings opens everything up for our offense. He's a big play threat, who also goes across the middle. I do not think Jordy is "the guy" that Greg is. I think it'd be a major mistake if we got rif of Jennings. The guy has done everything that we have asked him to do and deserves to get paid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
The guy has done everything that we have asked him to do and deserves to get paid.

You absolutely, positively do NOT pay players for what they have done but based on what you think they will do.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pressure is there to completely destroy timing and it means less time to get open. We need to move Bulaga to LT next year, and/or find a legitimate second T--be Barclay, Sherrod, Newhouse, Free Agent, or Draft Pick. Then get rid of Jeff Saturday. He has renewed my belief in the need of a high quality C.
pollino14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
The guy has done everything that we have asked him to do and deserves to get paid.

You absolutely, positively do NOT pay players for what they have done but based on what you think they will do.

And Jennings has another 3 years at least of top level production.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:

You have to imagine that Greg Jennings is probably looking something for the 5 year, 55.55 million deal that Vincent Jackson got from the Buccaneers. Do we really want to pay someone who will be 30 next season for five more years and giving up almost 10% of our cap to a receiver? Especially one that has had injury concerns the last two years. I love what Greg Jennings brings to the table, but at a certain point you have to look at the bigger picture. Honestly, at this point I probably wouldn't go much more than four years, 32 million. Any more, and we're handcuffing the franchise.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

You have to imagine that Greg Jennings is probably looking something for the 5 year, 55.55 million deal that Vincent Jackson got from the Buccaneers. Do we really want to pay someone who will be 30 next season for five more years and giving up almost 10% of our cap to a receiver? Especially one that has had injury concerns the last two years. I love what Greg Jennings brings to the table, but at a certain point you have to look at the bigger picture. Honestly, at this point I probably wouldn't go much more than four years, 32 million. Any more, and we're handcuffing the franchise.

Idt Jennings will ask for the moon tbh. Obviously it all depends on what he wants, but if it s for less than 5 years then I want him back.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers and Matthews haven't really gotten paid either yet. Everyone is looking to get paid. When Jennings says it might be his last year in GB and Rodgers comes out and says the same you got to think he's going to leave.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have felt that playing without Jennings has coincided with the passing offense not being as sharp and or dangerous. Not saying that's the only reason, pass protection definitely has a part in the guilt. Money has to work but I definitely would take Jennings back for another 4-5 years. He takes great care of himself and he's a technician on routes, doesn't rely on speed which we all acknowledge is the first to go. If he gets 5 yrs $56m+ to go elsewhere I won't be crushed, but he's definitely favorite.

I don't think Nelson is nearly the receiver some made him out to be last year, great receiver but one best used in a complementary role. Rodgers is great at sharing the ball so it's a tough call Jones, Nelson and Cobb are a very good trio but I'm not convinced they are a corps that will carry the team to a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the defenses looked like last year, but we do know that this year we are getting 2 deep safeties all day, every day, all game long. In order to beat that you better either run the ball or attack the deep middle.

We haven't run the ball
We haven't attacked the deep middle

Add in the subpar play of our offensive line, and you have the 2012 Packer season.

Jennings is far from the make or break as far as offensive production of this team. As much as I like him, he needs the Packers and their system and all pro QB and the multiple offensive threats more than we need him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Look at Reggie Wayne. Look at Driver. Precise WR's can last into their late 30s. I have no problem giving him a 5 year deal (HEAVILY incentive laden for playing time to protect against injury riddled season like this one)

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
qbhunter52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the drops, the receivers are not to blame. When our line blocked well last year, opposing defenses had to send more guys at Rodgers. This is where he is at his best....against the blitz with one on one coverage. Against the giants a few weeks back the front four caused enough havoc on our offensive line to allow press coverage and more bump and run with help over the top. Plus, we rarely go 5 wide any more because we need TE blocking help or a fullback blocking in addition to having banged up WRs all season. Our receivers are good enough to get open but with a little more time that Rodgers just isn't getting. 6 guys on our o line can't handle 4 defensive linemen right now. Unacceptable.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying our WR corp is basically trash and Jennings is the only decent one in the bunch? Whatever happened to "2 #1 receivers and 3 #2's" and "Possibly the best in the league" If this is the perception with Butterfinger Jones snagging passes over the heads of DB on a regular basis, I'd hate to see what would have happened if his numbers mirrored last year.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me there is more going on here. Possibly that the opposing DB have figured out how are WR were getting separation and devised a way of counteracting it. Maybe we're a bit predictable. Maybe we're just in a slump. Maybe with only one of our #1 receivers on the field it's not as easy to overwhelm a defense.
strat1080

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Our Wide Receivers Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Has anyone else seen a noticeable decline in play from our wide receivers this year?

I've seen two aspects in which our WRs have declined in play.

1. Seperation- I really do not see much seperation by our WRs this year. Aaron has to be precise on every throw it seems. When our line actually does their job and protects Aaron, there are many times where theres nobody to throw to and he takes a sack.

2. Big plays- I do not see our WRs make plays after the catch this year. I do not see a lot of big strikes. Its been more of a short pass offense instead of our quick strike offense that we are so used to seeing.

Our offense has not been as efficient as it has been in the past and I think our WRs are to blame. Yes our O line has been poor, but our strength of our team has been our WR group and they're not getting it done this year.

I think the reason is simple personally. Greg Jennings. A lot of people on this forum downgrade the contribution of Jennings but after this year I think it's evident on how much he means for our offense. Jennings opens everything up for our offense. He's a big play threat, who also goes across the middle. I do not think Jordy is "the guy" that Greg is. I think it'd be a major mistake if we got rif of Jennings. The guy has done everything that we have asked him to do and deserves to get paid.

Well that's what happens when the RBs on the roster provide no threat whatsoever to the defense. Its truly pathetic that the defense drops 7-8 guys in coverage almost every play and we can only get a couple yards running the ball. The Packers haven't had a 100 yard rusher in 39 games and teams have resorted to simply playing Cover 2 or Two Man Under on virtually every play. An offense typically isnt' going to generate big plays in the passing game against those defensive looks. Nobody is going to get open if the defense is dropping 8 on every play and the Safeties are playing 18+ yards deep on every play.

If the Packers can run the ball the way they did against Minnesota it will open things up for them in the passing game.
strat1080

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
I don't know what the defenses looked like last year, but we do know that this year we are getting 2 deep safeties all day, every day, all game long. In order to beat that you better either run the ball or attack the deep middle.

We haven't run the ball
We haven't attacked the deep middle

Add in the subpar play of our offensive line, and you have the 2012 Packer season.

Jennings is far from the make or break as far as offensive production of this team. As much as I like him, he needs the Packers and their system and all pro QB and the multiple offensive threats more than we need him.

Exactly. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you can't run the ball against defenses that are selling out to stop the pass or protect agaisnt a 3 or 4 man rush you are going to have problems in the passing game.

Stop with the idea that the offense has been figured out or that the WRs are playing poorly. You can only send a maximum of 5 guys on a route. If the defense drops 8 guys to cover those 5 you are going to lose. They won't drop 8 guys if you can run the ball effectively when they do. That has been the problem. And its a big reason that I think its pathetic that Peyton Manning is the front-runner for MVP. The Broncos can run the ball. Peyton Manning isn't seeing the defensive looks that Aaron Rodgers sees every week. Teams treat the Packers running game like its a total joke. And it has been more often than not.

Its simple football folks. Football is all about winning one on one matchups. Our OL is not winning those matchups and the rest of the offense is suffering because of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: