Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Tragedy: LB Jerry Brown killed - Brent Jailed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
In our church, we had young man drive drunk and kill the wife and 3 kids of another person in the church. I won't lie... I balled like a baby when the husband and father forgave the 19 year old kid. He went to visit the kid while he was in jail more than the kids parents did. After 5 years in jail, this kid is now in his mid 20s and is trying to pick up the pieces. He has spoken in church publicly about the power of forgiveness. Trust me, In time, i hink all of us will come to have sympathy for Josh Brent. We will never agree with his decision. We will understand that his actions require justice. But, any of us that have ever necessitated seeking forgiveness from another will have sympathy for Josh Brent.

Well said Slam. Bravo for that dad. That takes a strong, strong human being to forgive someone for that.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence Hill wrote:
Agent Peter Schaeffer released a statement late Saturday night on behalf of client Josh Brent: "I am devastated and filled with grief. Filled with grief for the loss of my close friend and team mate, Jerry Brown. I am also grief-stricken for his family, friends and all who were blessed enough to have known him. I will live with this horrific and tragic loss every day for the rest of my life. My prayers are with his family, our teammates and his friends at this time."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
In our church, we had young man drive drunk and kill the wife and 3 kids of another person in the church. I won't lie... I balled like a baby when the husband and father forgave the 19 year old kid. He went to visit the kid while he was in jail more than the kids parents did. After 5 years in jail, this kid is now in his mid 20s and is trying to pick up the pieces. He has spoken in church publicly about the power of forgiveness. Trust me, In time, i hink all of us will come to have sympathy for Josh Brent. We will never agree with his decision. We will understand that his actions require justice. But, any of us that have ever necessitated seeking forgiveness from another will have sympathy for Josh Brent.

Thanks for sharing this story Slam... Just thinking about how much grief that man was in who lost everything lends me to think about how much it had to weigh on the 19 year old kid daily.

Incredible story about forgiveness and character we all can learn from

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for Brown and his family, but it was stupid to get in a car with a drunk guy behind the wheels.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Thanks for sharing this story Slam... Just thinking about how much grief that man was in who lost everything lends me to think about how much it had to weigh on the 19 year old kid daily.

x2. My point exactly. Well done.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Spends

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

I assume by we you mean I judging by your other posts in this thread.

Something I thought about this morning, I don't think I could pass a field sobriety test when I was 100% sober if I just tried to pull my friend out of a burning car wreck.

Hopefully the team can rally around this and beat Cincinatti today to keep the season alive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but having had some time to think about this situation, I have to be honest and say that the only people I feel bad for in this situation are Brown's family. I don't feel bad for Brent or Brown, as they are/were grown men who knowingly chose to put themselves in that situation.

This isn't like the Jovan Belcher situation, where there was an innocent victim. As Slam has pointed out, 2 days before the biggest game of the year, these 2 knuckleheads chose to go out drinking and partying. Since they were together, they obviously knew how much each other had to drink. Yet they willingly got into a car. Neither one of these grown men had the common sense to think this might not be a good idea? Yes, it sucks that Brown died. It sucks that Brent killed his friend, but let's not pretend that either of these 2 guys were completely innocent in this situation. They willingly put themselves in the car after consuming alcohol. Is it a tragic situation? Hell yeah. Was it completely avoidable? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Like I said, this isn't like the Blecher situation where there was an innocent victim. Brown chose to go out drinking. He chose to get into the car with Brent, after knowing that Brent was wasted. Every decision has a consequence. Some are worse than others. I hate it that it happened, but I have a hard time feeling bad for people who get hurt/killed by their own actions.

I know this post is not going to be a popular one. But, at least I'm honest about the way I feel.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people in the world believe that everything happens for a reason. If you hit the powerball for millions of dollars or you are a victim of a tragic event like the one that happened last night in Dallas, some believe that there is a reason, almost a logic to it. Sometimes we cannot see the reason or logic right away. Sometimes it takes awhile, sometimes years to reveal itself, whatever the reaon is.

Then there are those who believe that we are masters of our own destinies. That we control the outcomes of our lives regardless of what fate or chance or the Lord, whomever you hold that to be, may have in store for us. They believe there is no such thing as luck or providence.

I believe there is a balance of the two. I believe that the decisions we make ulimately lead us down one path or another, at the end of which, there is a predetermined outcome that we never saw coming. Something we never anticipated. Sometimes it is a fortunate outcome and sometimes it is a tragic one.

Like in this case, Josh Brent choose a career in profesional sports, he worked hard and achieved an opportunity to play at the highest level the profession could offer. With that comes the accolades of fame, fortune.

Again, I believe these things need to be balanced with humility, common sense, faith and self control.

Now what did Josh Brent do? He went out for a few drinks with a close friend. The night before a big game on the road. He got intoxicated and made a very poor decision. Why Jerry Brown had to die for Josh Brent's making this poor decision is, at the moment unclear. It may never be clear. The one thing that is clear is this, it was a tragedy and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

The only solace I can offer at this time is this, you have to ask yourselves:

Are you the type of person that believes everything, no matter how good or bad happens for a reason to be relvealed later? If so, and you are optomistic, then you will be filled with hope and that will help you deal with bad feelings on this matter.

OR

Are you the type of person that believes we are in total control of our futures? That we are where we are in life soley based on the decisions we have made. That there is no outside influence or greater power guiding us? If you are that type of person, you may be filled with anger and rage at the carelessness that was displayed by Josh Brent in this tragedy.

This can easily fill you with anger and rage and that will lead to hate. If you are the type of person that believes we are in control of our own destinies, try to find it in yourselves that this was a mistake of the highest caliber. One that cost a man his life and another his career. There is no one feeling anything good about this tragedy. Punishment will be administered. People will come together and the pain will pass.
sniderboys23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost. Thoughts and prayers go out to BOTH families involved in this tragic news... So so sad that a mistake has cost two lives and so much grief. Yes two lives because Brent will be in jail for a very long time IMO.

Very sad that drinking and driving is still so popular? My dad has bout 5 dui's. never learned I guess. But he did teach me that I did not want to be anything like him at all!!! Fortunately he has never injured anyone or wrecked.

Again thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. Can't even discuss the football side of this news

Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond was set for $500,000. Which is $10,000 more than his 2012 salary.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Bond was set for $500,000. Which is $10,000 more than his 2012 salary.

So, he will need to come up with about $50K in hard money.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry guys, this is awful. My condolences to the entire Cowboys organization and there great fans.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Went up to Lissemore to talk about the game, said he just couldn't. He and Brent were tight. Came in together. Competed for the same spot.

Also, Brent posted Bail.

Quote:
#Cowboys NT Josh Brent, walking out, said, "Jerry Brown was my very best friend and I'm just trying to deal with his death right now."

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some moving words from Brown's Grandmother:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/12/9/3747944/brent-held-on-500000-bond-jerry-browns-family-speaks-about-tragedy

Also:

Spencer says Brown sat behind him in meetings every day. He said looking back and not seeing him will be a 'pure reminder' every day.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I hope all of you take a moment to read this. Or find the audio and listen to it. Wow

An emotional Redball opens the presser talking of Jerry Brown:

Quote:
We had come together and the bonds that we had as teammates had to get stronger. They were really strong for Jerry Brown. And I think everybody was really, really, really heartbroken. A young man who had everything ahead of him. Um, were going to do everything we can to support his family. I spoke to his mom after the game and told her we gave her son the game ball and were going to share that with her. Were going to have a memorial service Tuesday and were going to continue to honor Jerry Brown and the young man he has been. Its not an easy time for anybody. In reality were going to snap back into it in what we lost. Its not easy.

REALLY GOOD READ - A Tragic Day for All of Us

In Redball I Trust!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: