Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Polamalu Speaks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Polamalu Speaks Reply with quote

Quote:
"After being out for so long, God has reminded me of why football is so important in my life. Time away has this effect on me anyway, but especially when coupled with the sudden and sad news in Kansas City. This game has aligned many things for me, and despite the recent challenges, tragedies, and growing concern for player health, it has enforced virtues, tempted passions, and it has helped reveal to me my own spiritual deficiencies.

"I cant help but feel fortunate, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to play this game. I am a better man than I was, still learning and growing, yet far from good enough to be counted among the worthy. May God give us the strength to overcome the many adversities life brings. Thank you all for your sincerest kind words and prayers. I am eternally thankful for them. Pray not just for me, but for all of us who are in need. Many times the veil of money, a smile, even laughter conceals the inner turmoil one goes through."

Polamalu said Thursday that being away from the game "just kind of reinforces the perspective that maybe I didn't appreciate as much as I used to."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-polamalu-takes-different-approach-after-injuries-665295/#ixzz2ENXkyT9X
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Troy.

Just a great human being overall.

Hopefully he can have at least one more great run before he retires. Id hate to see him retire as a guy who was once great but just cant stay healthy, but even if it does, he has had an amazing career here and has a great life waiting for him after football.
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Love Troy.

Just a great human being overall.

Hopefully he can have at least one more great run before he retires. Id hate to see him retire as a guy who was once great but just cant stay healthy, but even if it does, he has had an amazing career here and has a great life waiting for him after football.

Well said man. Spot on.

In a professional sports world full of great athletes that are sub-par human beings it is refreshing to see a person who is superb at both.

We are fortunate to have him on the team we root for.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough seeing my favorite football player of all-time not being able to stay healthy. He's the most exciting player to watch in the game IMO, so I just got to enjoy every game he's healthy, because it could be his last! Crying or Very sad
The Curtain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First ballot HOF? I think so. The man defined an entire defense from the Safety position for the last decade. Three SB appearances, two wins, how many times with a top defense, DPOTY, and he's been the identity of this franchise since he broke out.

Special kind of player with a special kind of motor. And it's pretty crazy that nobody in the NFL has a bad word to say about the man. Not many players can lay claim to that. He's one of those guys I feel very privileged to have gotten to see play.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Troy isnt a first ballot guy, Ill staple my ballsack to the ceiling.

Seriously...the guy, along with Ed Reed, was head and shoulders above pretty much every other safety in the league for years. He was part of a defense that was top 10 every year he was a part of it and several number one defenses, including a 2008 defnese that was historically good and helped win a SB, going to 3 of them and winning 2. Tack on the DPOY award and its a done deal IMO.

Even if Troy retired today, I see no justification for him not being first ballot.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the retirement that close? He may be just expressing freely as he please but now it seem to be very possible that he'll retire before lebeau? Sad.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@43: I think it's more than just that though. Ike Taylor has the same accolades besides the DPOY as Troy, and I doubt he's ever considered.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy is a amazing person and it's very rare for that type of player and person he is in comparison to many athletes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@43: I think it's more than just that though. Ike Taylor has the same accolades besides the DPOY as Troy, and I doubt he's ever considered.

LMAO....thats not even remotely close to being true.

Ike was never considered the best CB in the league or even close to it outside of some Steeler homers. He doesnt have nearly as many memorable moments as Troy has, and that DPOY goes ALONG way.

Not even really comparable whatsoever.
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Ike was never considered the best CB in the league or even close to it outside of some Steeler homers. He doesnt have nearly as many memorable moments as Troy has, and that DPOY goes ALONG way.

Was wondering the same thing myself.

In what circles is Ike considered of comparable standing amongst his peers at CB as Troy is amongst his peers at S? One is a guy, the other is one of 2 that defined the position for a decade.

Ike will retire and few outside of Steeler homers will ever remember the guy played the game. Every football fan of this generation will know and recognize Troy.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

good point about being head-and-shoulders above the league. I was more focusing on the 2nd part.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Ike Taylor has the same accolades besides the DPOY as Troy

could you explain what you mean? Was that a typo? Ike has almost no accolades, and compared to Troy, he doesn't deserve them
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

good point about being head-and-shoulders above the league. I was more focusing on the 2nd part.

Well, you cant really focus on that The 2nd part is more of a supplementary fact added onto Troy's remarkable individual accomplishments, and thats what separates Troy from Ike. Dont get me wrong, even as a guy who has never been a huge Ike fan, I recognize he played an important role in our defense, but the bottom line is he was never a top tier CB or respected as one of the best defensive players in the league. Troy was for several years and has a DPOY to show that. Also, when you factor in our defenses record with and without him, and all his memorable plays, there just really isnt a comparison.

Troy should be first ballot for his individual accomplishments, with the team stuff adding onto it.

Ike will never even sniff a ballot, because he really has no major individual accomplishments. He was a quality corner within the Steelers defense, but in no way does he stand out.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
Ike Taylor has the same accolades besides the DPOY as Troy

could you explain what you mean? Was that a typo? Ike has almost no accolades, and compared to Troy, he doesn't deserve them

I think he was speaking along the lines of the team accomplishments....like being part of several number 1 defenses. But as I stated, thats a suppementary fact to add on to what Troy has done himself. It helps Troy's case but doesnt make it. In Ike's case, all he really has is the fact that he was part of those defenses, but nothing in terms of his own PERSONAL accolades.

Also add on the fact that Troy is a 5x All Pro and 7x Pro Bowler. The Pro Bowl is a joke but the voters do look at that, fair or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: