Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Have you forgiven yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Favre be in the Packers Hall of Fame?
yes
66%
 66%  [ 52 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 78

Author Message
kgthekid


Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 1442
Location: On the Maryland side of DC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more or less indifferent to Favre now. I was mad, but since the Vikings didn't win a Super Bowl with him quarterbacking, I'm not so mad anymore. He should certainly be in the Packers' Hall of Fame, although it may be a while before he goes into the Ring of Honor. Eventually, both will happen. But if what I'm hearing about Favre not wanting to say anything on behalf of Holmgren is true (and, judging by the way he left the team, the relative recency of it all, and some of the posts in this topic, not being there on Holmgren's behalf might be for his best interest), then it's going to be a long time before Favre is inducted.
_________________

Fuzzy Slippers tells no lies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13689
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyB wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
After this long people still can't move past it i see. Not that i blame some it's just interesting i guess. Favre had an effect on all of us. I'll choose to remember him for the great stuff he did in GB and not for his transgressions he had let in his career.


You say this as if it's an enlightened stance by you, and a shortcoming in other people. Perhaps feeling angry at Brett, or not liking Brett, or simply thinking he's an obnoxious, entitled tool, are all perfectly reasonable stances to have after these last few years
Definitely perfectly reasonable for people to have hate for him. I don't. Takes way more effort to hate then it does for anything else. He was great for us. No doubt. I'll remember that about him. Not the transgressions he made after leaving GB. LIS earlier, i fell in love with Rodgers the moment he stepped on that field in the 07 Cowboys game and played elite ball. Just knew we had something great there so transition was smooth and i never wanted Favre back with us the moment he retired. Made it easier for me to forgive.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
blueswedeshoes


Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 1381
Location: WisKAHNsin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, but what I mean by that is Favre has shown zero signs of growing up and accepting any gracious offers from the Packers to participate in post-career celebrations. The snub of Holmgren is telling; Brett is not ready to make nice and remember the good old days and I don't think he will be ready for a long time.

Of course Favre's numbers are epic and I don't often see fans arguing against the numbers. He deserves the PHOF and the ring as well.

Don't lay this problem at the feet of the fans. Old #4 has a bug up his butt and he won't be back to pick up his plaque and dedicate a statue until everyone from the Thompson era is long gone.
_________________
Homer wrote:
Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PackFan4Life


Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 4064
Location: De Pere, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
After this long people still can't move past it i see. Not that i blame some it's just interesting i guess. Favre had an effect on all of us. I'll choose to remember him for the great stuff he did in GB and not for his transgressions he had let in his career.


You say this as if it's an enlightened stance by you, and a shortcoming in other people. Perhaps feeling angry at Brett, or not liking Brett, or simply thinking he's an obnoxious, entitled tool, are all perfectly reasonable stances to have after these last few years
Definitely perfectly reasonable for people to have hate for him. I don't. Takes way more effort to hate then it does for anything else. He was great for us. No doubt. I'll remember that about him. Not the transgressions he made after leaving GB. LIS earlier, i fell in love with Rodgers the moment he stepped on that field in the 07 Cowboys game and played elite ball. Just knew we had something great there so transition was smooth and i never wanted Favre back with us the moment he retired. Made it easier for me to forgive.


I think it is important to remember how great he was for the Pack, and his transgressions. He was a good player that turned into an entitled fool that made some very bad decisions later in his career. He also has paid a price for it, and whether he will admit it or not, he is not happy with his current legacy but is probably too cocky and yes, embarrassed to admit as much.

Put me in the category of WHO CARES. He will get his due respect for his play in Titletown eventually. Until then, let him pay for his trangressions for however much longer. He earned both. Ignoring him in the meantime is probably the ultimate price someone like Favre can pay because it cuts him the deepest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
40Year Pack Fan


Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 680
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:


Some may say that you truly haven't moved past it by selectively remembering the past and choosing not to remember what really happened.

I think of him as a traitor to the organization, but by no means do I lose sleep over it, or go to message boards to vilify the guy- in my eyes he has done that well enough for himself. A lot of people on this board who are young haven't even watched his whole career so are going off of hearsay- probably what their fathers have told them. That he came in and took GB off the map in terms of relevancy, yadda yadda. When in fact that was Ron Wolf, Holmgren and to a larger extent Bob Harlan. It was the start of Free Agency as we know it and the new brass as Palmy call it was refreshing and had a vision of the way a team was suppose to be run.



I hate to say it, but you just proved your own point......You seemed to have conveniently glazed over a few facts about what really happened.....Yes, it wasn't only Favre who was the catalyst for our return to prominence....However, Reggie White clearly stated that a big part of him deciding to come to Green Bay was that he believed they had the quarterback to take them to the Super Bowl....And once they got White into the fold, it was him who lobbied the Packers to get free agents like Sean Jones and Eugene Robinson.....So w/o Favre, no Reggie White, and w/o White and other important free agent pick ups, no Championship in 1996.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10322
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on...

Reggie White did not come to Green Bay because of Favre. He also claimed God spoke to him and told him to come to Green Bay. Both are pure BS rhetoric. I'm sure almost every big FA who signs with any team will say things like "with these guys here I think we have a good chance to win". I bet Julius Peppers said that about Cutler and Mario Williams about Fitzpatrick. White came to the Packers because they broke the bank for him, plain and simple. Was he a part of Green Bay's rise in the 90s? Sure. He was the QB of that team. He wasn't a catalyst for assembling that team though. That credit goes to the Packers brass for going out and getting those guys to sign. The only player that could get that credit was White.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoPackGo


Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 3203
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Absolutely. Anyone who says no is just being petty about the end. He decided he wanted to play again and the org didn't want him back. He can look for work elsewhere.


Yeah, but that's like breaking up with your girlfriend, and then she goes on to date your best friend because she wants to spite you, not because she actually loves the guy.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terranimal


Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 256
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you forgiven yet? Reply with quote

[quote="dawgsfan"]went to a couple of games with my dad this season at Lambeau (I boast a 10-1 record at lambeau now Smile )

went to the Packers HoF for the first time. Its well done. But I couldn't help but feel a bit sick to my stomach when i saw Favre is not in it.

I mean Mark Chumara (sp) is in there and he was convicted for donking his babysitter right?

Wrong! he was aqquitted...not guilty. They reconstructed the room that she said it took place in and re-acted the the entire thing and there was no way physically it could have taken place the way she said it did. So be careful of liable there.... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
40Year Pack Fan


Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 680
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Oh come on...

Reggie White did not come to Green Bay because of Favre. He also claimed God spoke to him and told him to come to Green Bay. Both are pure BS rhetoric. I'm sure almost every big FA who signs with any team will say things like "with these guys here I think we have a good chance to win". I bet Julius Peppers said that about Cutler and Mario Williams about Fitzpatrick. White came to the Packers because they broke the bank for him, plain and simple.

Well, I guess while you're throwing the sarcasm around, you can add White came to GB simply because they offered him more money than San Francisco....

spilltray wrote:
Was he a part of Green Bay's rise in the 90s? Sure. He was the QB of that team. He wasn't a catalyst for assembling that team though. That credit goes to the Packers brass for going out and getting those guys to sign.

Go back and re-read my last post.....I clearly stated Favre wasn't the only catalyst for GB returning to prominence.....In fact, it was Ron Wolf who traded to Atlanta for Favre....So, why wouldn't he deserve credit?


spilltray wrote:
The only player that could get that credit was White.

Sean Jones clearly stated it was Reggie White who convinced him to come to Green Bay.....And obviously you don't remember or understand just how big of deal it was for White to come to GB.....He was the top free agent, and many (including myself) figured he was a lock to go to SF....I guess it's true, people only remember things they want, in order to fit whatever scenario suits their opinion on something....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Title Town USA


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 19306
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hate for Burt has NOTHING to do with the fact that he went to play for MIN.

It has to do with the way he acted during the "breakup", and how he continued to act/things he said while in NY and MIN. And how he continues to act (not showing up for Holmgrens Packer HoF intro, saying he's surprised it took Rodg so long to win a SB...even tho he did it faster).

He's just a little b-word, in every sense of the word. His legacy has been tarnished beyond belief, and I think he knows this. Then again, maybe he doesn't. I do think he feels threatened by Rodgers' legacy tho, no doubt.

You stay classy Favre family.


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregoreo22


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 2557
Location: GB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I might be looking at this thing with a different set of eyes than some. But I feel it's a shame he is not in there already. That said, I HIGHLY doubt it will happen with this lead brass around.

I'm one that feels he put the boots to the Jets far more than the Packers though. I have very little respect for how he left NY.


Agreed. He couldn't make up his mind with the Packers, and then they moved on. He really screwed the Jets, however.

No reason he shouldn't be in the Packers HOF as soon as possible. No reason dragging this out and it getting weirder and weirder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregoreo22


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 2557
Location: GB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Oh come on...

Reggie White did not come to Green Bay because of Favre. He also claimed God spoke to him and told him to come to Green Bay. Both are pure BS rhetoric.


Uh, the way White lived his life, during and after his career was over, leads me to believe this wasn't "BS rhetoric" and I take him at his word. He clearly lived his life based on a God-centered worldview, as an evangelical Christian. To call that "BS" isn't fair or based on the facts of his all-too-short life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 10322
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregoreo22 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Oh come on...

Reggie White did not come to Green Bay because of Favre. He also claimed God spoke to him and told him to come to Green Bay. Both are pure BS rhetoric.


Uh, the way White lived his life, during and after his career was over, leads me to believe this wasn't "BS rhetoric" and I take him at his word. He clearly lived his life based on a God-centered worldview, as an evangelical Christian. To call that "BS" isn't fair or based on the facts of his all-too-short life.


My point God doesn't speak to people and guide their life choices. If you believe that part fine, but every FA that has ever signed anywhere has pointed to his team and given the whole"I believe in these guys, they make me think we can win" line. Was there a spark of promise in Favre? Sure but Green Bay massively beat every other financial offer on the table. No player, especially Reggie White is going to come out and say "I came for the money". Giving Favre any significant credit for White signing with the Packers is just silly.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 7951
Location: Titletown for the summer!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
I voted no, but what I mean by that is Favre has shown zero signs of growing up and accepting any gracious offers from the Packers to participate in post-career celebrations. The snub of Holmgren is telling; Brett is not ready to make nice and remember the good old days and I don't think he will be ready for a long time.

Of course Favre's numbers are epic and I don't often see fans arguing against the numbers. He deserves the PHOF and the ring as well.

Don't lay this problem at the feet of the fans. Old #4 has a bug up his butt and he won't be back to pick up his plaque and dedicate a statue until everyone from the Thompson era is long gone.


Yes, he won't set foot in Wisconsin until those running things at 1265 are long gone and that's fine with me.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joeybrowner47


Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Location: forest lake,mn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok im just gonna say it. you packer fans are some of the most spoiled fans in the nfl. im sure you were upset with favre when he pulled his annual charade and teddy finally called his bluff, what you all forget is that brett continued to waver about retiring because he didnt know how to leave the game that he loved so much. apparently you all forget about the 70s-80s and the abyss that was nfl football in green bay. Favre PUT your beloved pack back on the map and made you relevant again. the same fire that burned in him that made you all love him was what drove him to prove all the doubters wrong that he was washed up and led him to become a viking. i have to tell you that even when favre was a packer i loved him, man i wished he was the vikes qb. he killed us pretty much every time we played him (or at least it seemed like it.) im 36 years old and my squad has broken my heart every year of my life, at this point i wear my fandom as a badge of honor. we are the cubs of the nfl. my view from not too far away is that being a packer fan must be pretty rewarding. leave the petty bitching and moaning to us groveling vikes fans and enjoy what you have. Maybe you guys arent quite ready to forgive but when you are let the man have his day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group