Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st round linebackers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TypicalBrowns10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
We wont be picking in the top 10.

I was thinking pick 32 myself.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1st round linebackers Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
Every since I have been an active member on Browns draft sites the Cleveland Browns fan base has ALWAYS been obsessed with drafting a star linebacker with its Top 10 pick. There was A.J. Hawk, Rey Maualuga, Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain. The fan base as a hole all loved these guys and all of them were one of the 2-3 favorites in the draft.

Now this year we have Manti Te'o and it seems the fan base as a whole wants nothing to do with a linebacker so high in the draft. Are we as a fan base just scared off by the past bust of those highly touted linebackers?

Manti Te'o is by far the best linebacker out of that bunch coming out. Some may argue A.J. Hawk but I spent the entire season arguing he was a 2nd round talent.

I personally don't want to spend a Top 10 pick on a linebacker I just find it odd that a fan base who has been so hellbent on drafting a stud linebacker in the Top 10 in recent years now finally has a great chance at the best in a long time and hardly anyone wants anything to do with him.

While others don't want to admit to having "lusted" after the LB's you mentioned, I will say that I thought they would all be great. I remember having touted Laurinitis over Maualuga though. He has turned out to be pretty good.

I am also on the Te'o bandwagon. If they decide to get a DE instead, I won't be upset with that decision.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I'd want to take Teo with our top pick is if all the pass rushers and CB's grade out too low. I don't want to reach on a mediocre DE or CB and would settle for Teo in that case. But my preference would be to take a DE or CB.

As far as the past LB prospects, the only guy I personally wanted with our pick was Curry. Is the top of this year's class as bad as the top of 2009? If so, Teo may be our best option.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
DawgX wrote:
...DE is a much bigger need than LB...

depth yes... starter no

Um, no. When a player like Parker has been your best pass rusher, you know there's a problem. Sheard has been better than his numbers indicate, but he still needs to rack up those sacks. Rucker is solid, but offers little in terms of applying pressure to the quarterback.

If the Browns can add a good pass rusher, then they will have decent depth. Rucker & Parker would be good backups to Sheard and someone like Moore or Jordan.

The Browns are set at MLB. They could be set at WLB depending on how Robertson progresses. I think he should start over Maiava, although I feel Maiava has improved a bit recently but he's still not starting material. And like I said before, Gocong was above average last year and JMJ has been solid and should only improve.

There's no way you can convince me that LB is a bigger need than DE.
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1st round linebackers Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:
Every since I have been an active member on Browns draft sites the Cleveland Browns fan base has ALWAYS been obsessed with drafting a star linebacker with its Top 10 pick. There was A.J. Hawk, Rey Maualuga, Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain. The fan base as a hole all loved these guys and all of them were one of the 2-3 favorites in the draft.

Now this year we have Manti Te'o and it seems the fan base as a whole wants nothing to do with a linebacker so high in the draft. Are we as a fan base just scared off by the past bust of those highly touted linebackers?

Manti Te'o is by far the best linebacker out of that bunch coming out. Some may argue A.J. Hawk but I spent the entire season arguing he was a 2nd round talent.

I personally don't want to spend a Top 10 pick on a linebacker I just find it odd that a fan base who has been so hellbent on drafting a stud linebacker in the Top 10 in recent years now finally has a great chance at the best in a long time and hardly anyone wants anything to do with him.

While others don't want to admit to having "lusted" after the LB's you mentioned, I will say that I thought they would all be great. I remember having touted Laurinitis over Maualuga though. He has turned out to be pretty good.

I am also on the Te'o bandwagon. If they decide to get a DE instead, I won't be upset with that decision.

I was a fan of all of those LBs except Maualuga. I didn't want the Browns to draft any of them except for Curry, though.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
DawgX wrote:

depth yes... starter no

Um, no. When a player like Parker has been your best pass rusher, you know there's a problem. Sheard has been better than his numbers indicate, but he still needs to rack up those sacks. Rucker is solid, but offers little in terms of applying pressure to the quarterback.

If the Browns can add a good pass rusher, then they will have decent depth. Rucker & Parker would be good backups to Sheard and someone like Moore or Jordan.

The Browns are set at MLB. They could be set at WLB depending on how Robertson progresses. I think he should start over Maiava, although I feel Maiava has improved a bit recently but he's still not starting material. And like I said before, Gocong was above average last year and JMJ has been solid and should only improve.

You have the right to your opinion, but I think its rather obvious that -

Rucker starting a DE >>> Robertson starting at WLB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

I agree, with three caveats.

1. Rucker is 34
2. Robertson can improve
3. An elite/great pass rushing DE >>>> Any WLB
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
DawgX wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
DawgX wrote:

depth yes... starter no

I feel Robertson has been pretty solid, especially considering he was an UDFA and is inexperienced. He definitely has his share of bad plays, but he's also made plenty of good plays this season.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notre Dames Manti Teo has six down, Heisman to go
BY MARK LAZERUS Twitter: @MarkLazerus December 7, 2012 4:30PM

NEW YORK Manti Teo stepped over the wires from two dozen cameras, navigated his way through the three dozen reporters and plunked himself down in a high-back leather chair for his umpteenth interview session of the week.

For once, though, he didnt need to double-check his schedule to see where he was was it Charlotte for the Nagurski? or Houston for the Lombardi? or Orlando for the Maxwell? because this was the Big One. New York, Times Square to be exact, for the Heisman Trophy. A record six trophies down, one very big one to go.

He sighed before smiling and saying hello to the gathered masses. His eyelids looked heavy, having landed in New York early in the morning after leaving Orlando. As remarkable a week as its been for the Notre Dame linebacker

so far, hes won the Butkus, Nagurski, Lombardi, Camp, Bednarik and Maxwell awards its been just as exhausting, flying to a different city every day.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/16874167-419/notre-dames-manti-teo-has-six-down-heisman-to-go.html

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:

I feel Robertson has been pretty solid, especially considering he was an UDFA and is inexperienced. He definitely has his share of bad plays, but he's also made plenty of good plays this season.

He's a pretty consistently horrendous tackler. I don't know how much that'll improve, he went undrafted for a reason. However I can envision him having a role as a nickel LB or somebody used in coverage situations because he does that well. I wouldn't really put much more stock than that in him, he was kinda overrated in the beginning of the season.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I want the best player. Period.

I don't care if its a LB, DE, CB, S, TE, what ever.

Having said that, I think Teo is the most complete player in this draft. I think he compares to T-Rich of last year, but on defense. He's a man among boys.

Not trying to pick you out specifically, but that sounds eerily similar to what everyone was saying before the 2009 draft if you just took the name Teo out and put Curry in.

Much like the 2009 draft, I am not excited about any of the top picks. Unlike the 2009 draft, I'm not going to get all excited about a LB. I was also kind of hoping to take Orakpo that year or trade down. Right now I'm thinking the same thing, get a pass rusher or trade down if possible.

I just don't think Teo is the safe pick and I don't think he's got the best ceiling. I'd rather we went a different direction. Obviously, I just want us to get the best player possible at a position where that player can have an impact.
joelflynn44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore is the only option better than te'o. Jordan should learn to play te, because he cant shed any blocks. Youtube him against usc, its pretty bad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were in love with Aaron Curry's measurables.

Teo not only has good #'s but you can tell the guy was made to play the game.

That is the difference

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

That is the difference

Yeh I agree with this. I don't see a weakness in his game that is going to somehow get eploited in the NFL. He will always be trying to get better. He seems like a true leader that can anchor a defense. I don't know if that can be measured.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

That is the difference

Yeh I agree with this. I don't see a weakness in his game that is going to somehow get eploited in the NFL. He will always be trying to get better. He seems like a true leader that can anchor a defense. I don't know if that can be measured.
he is also a student of the game that is willing and able to do the work.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: