Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Haloti Ngata: Future with the Ravens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Haloti Ngata: Future with the Ravens Reply with quote

I believe it is pretty safe to assume at this point that Haloti Ngata will be on the Ravens roster for the remainder of the 2014 season. He's been banged up and less effective than in the past over the past few seasons. Seems like he's in better shape this season and ready to play. Obviously we won't know if he's back to form until the games start, though. Do you guys think we let him finish out his deal next year, do you think he's cut to free up some money, or do you think we work out a deal that will keep him a Raven an smooth his cap hits a la T-Sizzle?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-717-Haloti-Ngatas-Cant-Miss-BEASTLY-Workout--Then-Slam-Dunk/ac3d9976-f503-4fb7-b7b2-c52e008a5932?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried to get him to take an extension this year. I don't see us letting him take up $16 million of the cap again. I think he's gotta have to take the extension before next spring.

Free Ray Rice
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ngata finishes out the rest of his deal and Baltimore lets him test the open market. He's going to be 32 years old at that time and highly doubt any other team offers Ngata anything significantly different than the Ravens would. An extension after this season makes sense too if the two sides can agree to a deal but this might be a situation where letting it get to the market value stage is best for the team.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I think Ngata finishes out the rest of his deal and Baltimore lets him test the open market. He's going to be 32 years old at that time and highly doubt any other team offers Ngata anything significantly different than the Ravens would. An extension after this season makes sense too if the two sides can agree to a deal but this might be a situation where letting it get to the market value stage is best for the team.

I think this route is highly dependent on what happens with the cap next season (how much it increases). The ravens are obviously able to handle his hit this season, Joe's hit doesn't increase much next year and I don't think many others do either (Jimmy Smith will get a moderate bump in cap hit as will Pitta; Torrey's would ostensibly be pretty low on a new LT deal, but maybe a tag candidate). I would imagine Rice will be restructured next year or let go, but he's a wildcard based on his performance in the current, upcoming year. They could feasibly carry him at his full amount, then let him try the market route. If he doesn't get what he expects, we get him back to retire a Raven, if someone wildly overpays, then we get a comp pick out of the arrangement. This route also allows us to make him essentially have a two-year try-out to show he can still be a productive, impact player because if we were to extend him following the 2014 season, he could regress in 2015 and we would regret the contract. Admittedly, that's always a risk, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I think this route is highly dependent on what happens with the cap next season (how much it increases). The ravens are obviously able to handle his hit this season, Joe's hit doesn't increase much next year and I don't think many others do either (Jimmy Smith will get a moderate bump in cap hit as will Pitta; Torrey's would ostensibly be pretty low on a new LT deal, but maybe a tag candidate). I would imagine Rice will be restructured next year or let go, but he's a wildcard based on his performance in the current, upcoming year. They could feasibly carry him at his full amount, then let him try the market route. If he doesn't get what he expects, we get him back to retire a Raven, if someone wildly overpays, then we get a comp pick out of the arrangement. This route also allows us to make him essentially have a two-year try-out to show he can still be a productive, impact player because if we were to extend him following the 2014 season, he could regress in 2015 and we would regret the contract. Admittedly, that's always a risk, though.

That's my biggest worry with trying to give him an extension after next season. I don't think the nagging injury issue is going to get any better so Ngata probably isn't going to be a whole lot more productive from here on out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: