Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 96, 97, 98  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/423199645331128320

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Browns have granted permission to DC Ray Horton to interview for any available coaching positions; Doesn't have to be HC, can be lateral.

https://twitter.com/FBALL_Andrea/status/423196194022510592

Quote:
Andrea Hangst ‏@FBALL_Andrea

For those thinking about Norv Turner to replace Caldwell in Baltimore: All Browns assistants are free to interview. No restrictions.

I have dirty thoughts about what Horton could do with this defense. Such a perfect fit.

The Ravens should give Pees permission to do the same thing. The Texans still haven't officially hired anyone so maybe O'Brien would like to work with him again.

Norv Turner WILL be the OC for the 2014 Baltimore Ravens. Guaran-dam-teed (to quote The Rock)...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Browns FO really are doing a hatchet job on their team, aren't they?

They've managed to secure no one to coach them, their number one target has said no, the rest of the decent HC candidates have been snapped up. There is no one left who looks like a positive, exciting move, and now they're kicking out their coordinators too?

Why not interview Horton for the job? Unless they burned their bridges with him when they canned Chud

God, the prospect of gettin him as DC in Baltimore is too much. I'll trust others on Norv, because I don't know enough about him to say how he'll improve the Ravens' offense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
The Browns FO really are doing a hatchet job on their team, aren't they?

They've managed to secure no one to coach them, their number one target has said no, the rest of the decent HC candidates have been snapped up. There is no one left who looks like a positive, exciting move, and now they're kicking out their coordinators too?

Why not interview Horton for the job? Unless they burned their bridges with him when they canned Chud

God, the prospect of gettin him as DC in Baltimore is too much. I'll trust others on Norv, because I don't know enough about him to say how he'll improve the Ravens' offense.

The Browns need to allow their coordinators to interview or it makes their organization even less desirable.

Right now, coaches are pulling out of the Browns race because they're hearing rumblings from those with experience there how bad it is. They just pulled a 1 and done with Chudz which immediately makes the job unattractive for a young and upcoming coach. Coaches want security and to know that they have an adjustment period and Cleveland just showed that they aren't willing to give it. If they were to block their coordinators from interviewing after they already fired their HC, they'd all but be blacklisted by competent HCs. Typically, a HC brings their own guys so Norv/Horton may not even have jobs -- but if Cleveland isn't allowing them to seek other opportunities, they're basically prisoners to the team which would send an awful, awful message to any potential guys that may join a young coach.

They're a big mess right now in all honesty. They're going to bank on the Denver OC Gase accepting the job, but he very well may realize that he's in a good spot right now and assuming Peyton plays another year, he could have more options next season and may pass on Cleveland.

My guess is that they want Gase, but if not, wanted the ability to grab Horton/Norv as a last resort and were trying to keep them around hoping Denver lost. Now that Denver is advancing this far, they have to allow them to interview elsewhere in order to not look worse than they do in terms of relationships with their employees.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
But really spiritoftruth the above argument stated. I think everyone knew Boldin was misutilized here. So I've always wished him the best for the 49ers. Hoped he could become the player his skillset could allow. They utilized him properly and he thrived. He's a top 25-30 WR in the NFL, no question.

But under his tenure in Baltimore, he was not the same player due to how he was used. And yes, that plays a part in how one is rated in the scheme of things IMO.

That said, you seem to be stuck in your belief that he was somehow not overrated in retrospect due to his playoffs. That Ozzie made a mistake in trading him for cap relief. And that our team was much worse off due to the removal of Boldin. Nothing you can say will speak logically to me on that point. It simply makes no sense. And I suspect the opposite to be true from your vantage point. So, simply put, I'll just agree to disagree on this notion.

Boldin isn't a Raven, he's a 49er.. and I won't waste my time arguing about this non-Raven players' indirect impact on the Ravens any further.

True. We will just have to agree to disagree.

I really can't find many Ravens fans who think getting rid of Boldin was a bad move. I wish I could, so we could get together and talk about Boldin.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you guys consider the most obnoxious or misunderstood Ravens story of the last few years (lets just say since the Flacco/Harbs era began in 2008)? Essentially, what's the topic that makes you afraid for your own sanity to leave the Ravens subforum and venture into the depths of NFL Gen or NFL News? I was thinking of this when I saw Bill Simmons's pre-playoffs gambling rules column, in which he writes, " To be fair, the Ravens won last year's Super Bowl even after the Ray Lewis/deer antler spray fiasco became a major story for a couple of days followed by everyone looking the other way and pretending it never happened that's why I made it a suggestion and not a rule." I am torn between the Deer Antler story and Joe Flacco's contract being the source of all coming evil for the Ravens franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
What would you guys consider the most obnoxious or misunderstood Ravens story of the last few years (lets just say since the Flacco/Harbs era began in 2008)? Essentially, what's the topic that makes you afraid for your own sanity to leave the Ravens subforum and venture into the depths of NFL Gen or NFL News? I was thinking of this when I saw Bill Simmons's pre-playoffs gambling rules column, in which he writes, " To be fair, the Ravens won last year's Super Bowl even after the Ray Lewis/deer antler spray fiasco became a major story for a couple of days followed by everyone looking the other way and pretending it never happened that's why I made it a suggestion and not a rule." I am torn between the Deer Antler story and Joe Flacco's contract being the source of all coming evil for the Ravens franchise.

Most definitely the Flacco contract. If people took 3 seconds to understand how it was constructed, ie a 3 year deal with a checkpoint to decide what to do, they'd understand it's not a bad deal at all. That said, people like to not think at all and just divide the total money by the years and assume thats how much he makes every year.

So for that... Thanks, Joe Flacco.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Most definitely the Flacco contract. If people took 3 seconds to understand how it was constructed, ie a 3 year deal with a checkpoint to decide what to do, they'd understand it's not a bad deal at all. That said, people like to not think at all and just divide the total money by the years and assume thats how much he makes every year.

I'd have to vote for Flacco's contract too just based on the vast chasm of ignorance that has followed it. Baltimore's defense crumbling after the loss of Lewis would be second for me, but maybe only because it's one of the more recent stories. I guess before the Super Bowl there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about the Ravens outside of the sites or forums specifically dedicated to them though.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

I'd have to vote for Flacco's contract too just based on the vast chasm of ignorance that has followed it. Baltimore's defense crumbling after the loss of Lewis would be second for me, but maybe only because it's one of the more recent stories. I guess before the Super Bowl there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about the Ravens outside of the sites or forums specifically dedicated to them though.

That is a really good one. I just personally think that the crazy spike in outrage and the briefly lived foaming at the mouth of some fans re: Deer Antler Spray was pretty impressive in retrospect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco's contract, especially that it's supposedly the reason the Ravens traded Boldin.

'Durr... Flacco got paid. Durr... his best receiver didn't. Durr... Ravens dumb for thinking Boldin past it'

Never mind that Boldin was traded to free up cap space to sign FAs to rebuild the defense. It was never, ever about the Ravens needing the space to pay Joe, it was never, ever about the Ravens thinking Boldin was over the hill.

They knew how good he still was, but couldn't justify paying him the $6million or so he was due for the year. Simple, really. But not, if you look at what so many have said.

Regarding Ray Lewis, I rarely see anyone talking about the deer antler thing. It's still cracks about Atlanta and white suits and stabbing people, and utterly ill-informed opinions about what Ray "got away with". People who speak without even bothering to read the freely available accounts of the case that can be found using that strange and obscure instrument, 'Google'.

Last edited by Mancunian Raven on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those two are both good... and I think it's hard to beat "Thanks. Joe Flacco." fame...

But before the Flacco incident, there was also the "Ed Reed comments" about Flacco in the playoffs where he "played scared". So most assumed Flacco couldn't be trusted in the playoffs, if recollection served correct. The argument was that Flacco was 'okay' in the regular season, but sucks in the playoffs.

Apparently his playoffs stats were wildly lessened due to his rookie year performances against the Steelers and a great Titans defense as well as his second year hip injury... but that ignorance didn't matter. His stats sucked, so he did to.

How quickly that argument has flipped.

Flacco is ONLY good in the playoffs but sucks in the regular season... and thus.. Thanks. Joe Flacco.

EDIT: There was also LaMarr Woodley's comments about Flacco not being good enough to ever win a Super Bowl with too... Pretty sure most agreed with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Yeah, those two are both good... and I think it's hard to beat "Thanks. Joe Flacco." fame...

But before the Flacco incident, there was also the "Ed Reed comments" about Flacco in the playoffs where he "played scared". So most assumed Flacco couldn't be trusted in the playoffs, if recollection served correct. The argument was that Flacco was 'okay' in the regular season, but sucks in the playoffs.

Apparently his playoffs stats were wildly lessened due to his rookie year performances against the Steelers and a great Titans defense as well as his second year hip injury... but that ignorance didn't matter. His stats sucked, so he did to.

Flacco is ONLY good in the playoffs but sucks in the regular season... and thus.. Thanks. Joe Flacco.

EDIT: There was also LaMarr Woodley's comments about Flacco not being good enough to ever win a Super Bowl with too... Pretty sure most agreed with him.

True story. I remember prior to last season's run discussing his first four playoff years and pointing out how he had steadily improved. There were many posters who were adamant that the games in his rookie year deserved the same weight as the two in his fourth year when evaluating him moving forward. Luckily his stats since then have really put that to rest. His last three playoff campaigns (8 games total):

150/253 (59.3%), 18 TD/2 INT, 105.05 PassRat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

True story. I remember prior to last season's run discussing his first four playoff years and pointing out how he had steadily improved. There were many posters who were adamant that the games in his rookie year deserved the same weight as the two in his fourth year when evaluating him moving forward. Luckily his stats since then have really put that to rest. His last three playoff campaigns (8 games total):

150/253 (59.3%), 18 TD/2 INT, 105.05 PassRat

Remember when Flacco was Captain Checkdown on these boards... and guess what....now they say all he can do is throw up prayers and he needs to do a better job of taking what the defense gives him... Lol.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horton officially signs with TEN as their new DC, reuniting with Whisenhunt.

Cleveland still hasn't put in a new staff (seems like they're banking on one of Dan Quinn or Adam Gase to take the job) but I'd have to say the overall turnover in assistant coaches in our division has been great thus far: Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Ray Horton, and Norv Turner all gone. Hue Jackson stepping into Gruden's spot is the only spot where there's a possible upgrade for them so far. Losing Caldwell in itself has a lot of potential for improvement on our end as well as long as something stupid like promoting Hostler doesn't happen (and I'm reasonably confident at this point that we won't see that happen), hell, even the Steelers keeping Todd Haley is probably more a good thing than not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Horton officially signs with TEN as their new DC, reuniting with Whisenhunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3mWJdgT0R8&feature=youtube_gdata_playerttps://

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Horton officially signs with TEN as their new DC, reuniting with Whisenhunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3mWJdgT0R8&feature=youtube_gdata_playerttps://

What...?

I don't know why anyone thought throwing Pees overboard on the hope and prayer that Horton would come here was a realistic option. Horton and Whiz go way back; they worked together in Pittsburgh and he eventually became Whisenhunt's DC in Arizona. Whisenhunt had his pick of of multiple teams to join, he was always going to get a HC job, and Horton was always going to join back up with him when that happened before he considered other teams.

I'm just happy he's out of the AFC North.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 96, 97, 98  Next
Page 53 of 98

Jump to: