Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Smith's skills translate to safety at all. He's better closer to the LOS not farther away from it. I know it's a commonly brought up idea but aside from his size I just don't see it.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I don't think Smith's skills translate to safety at all. He's better closer to the LOS not farther away from it. I know it's a commonly brought up idea but aside from his size I just don't see it.

Agreed. He's more comfortable when he's being aggressive in man coverage. We don't need a safety biting on double moves and getting beat all the time.

But I still have much hope for Smith. Webb had a tendency to keep his eyes in the backfield a lot in the beginning and caused him to bite on some of the few plays he was beat as both a rookie and then upon his return. If Jimmy cleans that up about his game, he's already an above average to good cover corner. He rarely gets beat for huge separation otherwise. Obviously his technique needs to still improve, but he probably pulls a Kruger and balls out in the last 1.5 seasons of his deal so we'll essentially be put in a quandary and have to try and determine if we should sign him after that first 'nice' season or if we should make a more grand commitment and extend him before his price skyrockets- like what will most likely happen with Kruger.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bring up Webb moving to safety as an excuse/reason to resign Williams. I'm more worried about Webb's rehab and ability to play corner next season. Isn't this his 2nd major knee injury?

I'm also bringing it up because he is a ball hawk and might be an even better safety than he is corner and we wouldn't notice a drop off if Reed leaves/retires.

I just think a secondary of Williams, Smith, Webb and Pollard would be better than a rehabbing Webb at corner, Smith, Pollard and someone else at FS.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
I didn't bring up Webb moving to safety as an excuse/reason to resign Williams. I'm more worried about Webb's rehab and ability to play corner next season. Isn't this his 2nd major knee injury?

I'm also bringing it up because he is a ball hawk and might be an even better safety than he is corner and we wouldn't notice a drop off if Reed leaves/retires.

I just think a secondary of Williams, Smith, Webb and Pollard would be better than a rehabbing Webb at corner, Smith, Pollard and someone else at FS.

Webb will be closer to 100% than he was the last time he tore his ACL purely due to timing -- this year he tore it in week 5, in 2009 he tore it in Week 16 or 17 I believe.

As well, while he may not be as effective as he has been recently, he's still going to be a quality CB. Even in 2010 when he wasn't 100% he was still solid, just not great. Like I said, he should be even healthier in 2013 than he was in 2010, not to mention being smarter due to his experience.

While obviously it would be good to keep Cary, he's just likely going to command too much money to keep. It's not even about having too crowded of a CB corps for me, it's all dollars and sense. Even if we kept Cary, I'd rather have a secondary of Cary, Jimmy and Webb in the slot, with Pollard and whoever at FS, than Cary, Jimmy and Graham in the slot with Pollard and Webb at FS. I just don't think it makes sense to make Webb, especially while rehabbing, learn an entirely new position just for 1 season. If anything, the unfamiliarity with playing the position could lead to a few missteps and either cost us in the game, or increase the potential he re-injures himself.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone other than Webb, I think I would move Cary to safety. He seems to struggle to find the ball in man coverage, but he does well when he can watch the QB in zone coverage. Jimmy is definitely better off near the LOS where he can press his receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
If anyone other than Webb, I think I would move Cary to safety. He seems to struggle to find the ball in man coverage, but he does well when he can watch the QB in zone coverage. Jimmy is definitely better off near the LOS where he can press his receiver.

I can agree with this. He's definitely the best corner option we have that could succeed at FS... but that being said, he's also a weak tackler. I wouldn't want Cary as the last line of defense trying to take down a guy in the open field. He's a solid tackler, but too often he whiffs. I think he'd be an even worse tackler than Reed... at least Reed can catch a guy in the open field and hug him for 15 yards. Cary would simply whiff... and there'd be a touchdown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan Castillo in as run game coordinator. The fact that he got promoted by Andy Reid to call plays on the other side of the ball speaks volumes about how much he thinks of him as a coach so I like the hire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Webb being Ed’s successor, simply because it’s so difficult to find good free safety candidates in the draft, and so even harder to find them in free agency.

When Ed retires (which may only be a game away), the Ravens will have a gaping hole in that secondary and I think the guy on the roster closest to being able to fill it would be Webb. He’s a ballhawk, reads defenses well, enjoys hitting guys as much as covering them, he’s mobile (hopefully, anyway).

The trouble is, he’s also the best cover corner the Ravens have. So they’d need to address that as well. I think Cary Williams will be gone, but Corey Graham will be sticking around, as will Chykie Brown. We need to see what Jimmy Smith can do with a fully healthy training camp and pre-season. And we need to see what comes up in the draft.

Or perhaps Corey Graham might be worth looking at as a safety. He’s shown some good playmaking abilities, since getting his chance as the nickel, and those might go to waste if he just became a depth guy behind Webb next year.

Regarding Castillo, it seems like a good hire, considering he’s been ‘consulting’ for the last month, and we’ve seen both Rice and Pierce have impressive games behind some strong O-line run blocking. I like that the Ravens are stacking up on coaching talent. Now Joe and Caldwell need to figure out whether they want another QB coach to come in next year. What’s Jim Zorn up to, these days?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Juan Castillo in as run game coordinator. The fact that he got promoted by Andy Reid to call plays on the other side of the ball speaks volumes about how much he thinks of him as a coach so I like the hire.

Yeah. I think Juan will be working as a liaison between Andy Moeller and Montgomery for now. I'd be willing to bet also that he's being brought in for two other reasons.. 1) If Moeller slips up, Castillo likely gets the OL job and 2) Harbaugh usually likes his coordinators to have experience on his staff for a season before taking over. Caldwell's reputation restoration just might lead him to another HC job opportunity within the next season or two. You have to think Harbaugh sees the potential for that and is bringing in Juan as a strong prospect for that future position.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castillo sounds like a good OL coach, but I hope that it's not him who's being groomed as a potential Caldwell successor. Not many great options currently on the staff, though. Hostler, the WR coach, has OC experience but he was absolutely abysmal in SF in that role. I'm most intrigued by Wilbert Montgomery, but it's hard to tell whether he's interested in ever moving up to offensive coordinator or what kind of system he believes in running. There were rumors that he was offered the OC position first before Caldwell after Cam was fired and turned it down, but I'm not sure how reputable that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone read the latest PFF Re-Focused? Once again they spent an entire paragraph telling us how bad Ray Lewis is, despite him getting double-digit tackles Laughing I just think it's hilarious how much they love to hate him these days that they'll go so far out of their way to make him look bad without even giving justifications for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Yeah. I think Juan will be working as a liaison between Andy Moeller and Montgomery for now. I'd be willing to bet also that he's being brought in for two other reasons.. 1) If Moeller slips up, Castillo likely gets the OL job and 2) Harbaugh usually likes his coordinators to have experience on his staff for a season before taking over. Caldwell's reputation restoration just might lead him to another HC job opportunity within the next season or two. You have to think Harbaugh sees the potential for that and is bringing in Juan as a strong prospect for that future position.

Knowing how successful coordinators for the Ravens are viewed, I think this is definitely a very real possibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Anyone read the latest PFF Re-Focused? Once again they spent an entire paragraph telling us how bad Ray Lewis is, despite him getting double-digit tackles Laughing I just think it's hilarious how much they love to hate him these days that they'll go so far out of their way to make him look bad without even giving justifications for it.

Good old PFF. When anyone cites PFF in an argument I laugh and dismiss them. That site is a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Good old PFF. When anyone cites PFF in an argument I laugh and dismiss them. That site is a joke.

They try SO hard to take every subliminal hit at the Ravens they can, that it just gets redundant and kind of funny. They graded all of our linebackers negatively, didn't mention ANYONE playing good on the defensive line (except Pernell McPhee's batted pass), and completely left out our secondary play, and lastly, they gave Flacco pretty much no credit at all, saying that he was just "throwing passes up against smaller defenders for his WR's to grab".

haters gonna hate? Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, anyone see this tweet from Torrey about New England fans?

Torrey Smith
‏@TorreySmithWR
Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday...yet NE fans cry about class

Stay classy, New England!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 14 of 100

Jump to: