Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I wish they made like a $400 fan ring. DTMB wants a Super Bowl ring dammit.

If I ever get rich Ima look for one at that Pawn Stars shop.

Do you want to wear it or display it? I've seen replica's for under $200 that would look amazing in a glass case but would turn your finger green if you tried to wear it.

Not sure what I'd do with it but I want one.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought... If we could go back in any draft the past two years 2011 or 2012 and could draft a center for our future without losing any of our guys we actually drafted.. Who would you have taken???

My choice would have been Peter Konz (2012) or Stefan Wisniewski (2011)

Stefan Wiz- slow 2011 season, but came on stronger in the late 2012 after he was fully healed.

Peter Konz - hasn't taken over starting but as a prospect I was a big fan.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big Konz fan last year but I wouldn't have taken him over Upshaw (or Glenn and Hill, those three were solidly at the top of my board when Baltimore was picking near the top of the second round). Konz actually has been starting for Atlanta as a guard.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I was a big Konz fan last year but I wouldn't have taken him over Upshaw (or Glenn and Hill, those three were solidly at the top of my board when Baltimore was picking near the top of the second round). Konz actually has been starting for Atlanta as a guard.

Oh I had no clue about Konz at guard. Thanks for the heads up.

Just an FYI- I wasn't asking who you would take over anyone we drafted.. I was asking who would you want if we were able to draft 1 center out of those drafts without giving up any player already drafted by Ravens.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my answer would still be Konz then. The last couple of drafts haven't been very good for centers but he was definitely my favorite out of them.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a creeping feeling that there is a non-zero chance we let Flacco walk. If Flacco demands 20million plus a year, and we can't make it work without crippling our team, then we have one of the few front offices with the peppers to expose him to the market.

I still think it works out and there is <5% chance it doesn't, but that thought wasn't there before. I really doubt we give him the exclusive tag and play the season through that.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
I'm getting a creeping feeling that there is a non-zero chance we let Flacco walk. If Flacco demands 20million plus a year, and we can't make it work without crippling our team, then we have one of the few front offices with the peppers to expose him to the market.

I still think it works out and there is <5% chance it doesn't, but that thought wasn't there before. I really doubt we give him the exclusive tag and play the season through that.

It's still a 0% chance. Joe wants to be here, the Ravens want him here. Don't get caught up in the agent talk. In fact, I personally expect it to be done a lot sooner than most people think (ie. next 3 weeks).

Our front office would never, ever, ever let him sniff FA at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

It's still a 0% chance. Joe wants to be here, the Ravens want him here. Don't get caught up in the agent talk. In fact, I personally expect it to be done a lot sooner than most people think (ie. next 3 weeks).

I think the blow back on the organization would be too great, especially if he went elsewhere and was succesful. I doubt the explanation of salary cap, etc. would do much at all to quiet the criticism they would receive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

I think the blow back on the organization would be too great, especially if he went elsewhere and was succesful. I doubt the explanation of salary cap, etc. would do much at all to quiet the criticism they would receive.

The only way this would be acceptable is if we signed Elvis Grbac and gave him the job....

again.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

As one of the biggest and most consistent Flacco supporters, if the front office let him escape through the regular franchise tag, I'd be disappointed, but it'd trust that they had to do it for our ability to remain successful.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

As one of the biggest and most consistent Flacco supporters, if the front office let him escape through the regular franchise tag, I'd be disappointed, but it'd trust that they had to do it for our ability to remain successful.

He won't get the regular tag. He'll get the exclusive tag, and they'll reach a long term deal. There's a 100% this happens if they don't get a deal done even sooner than that.

The Ravens FO isn't dumb enough to even have him be able to talk to another team, and they aren't in a situation where the $20m+ cap hit year 1 will allow them to continue improving the team -- they'd be handcuffed. On top of that, they were getting close just last off-season, so I'm sure some of the obstacles were overcome and are still out of the way today.

It'll get done and likely sooner rather than later due to the fact that we need the money to re-sign/sign free agents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

But do you think that would be the reaction of those who love football and the Ravens, but don't care nearly enough about the "behind the scenes" (for the lack of a better term) aspects of the game to post on a website called Football's Future? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Among other Raven fans I know, none of them really fully believed in Flacco or thought of him as the biggest piece to our team. Denver survived trading Cutler with no real replacement and getting rid of Tebow who was much lived there.

Outside of maybe Philly, our fanbase builds up their QB relative to the rest of the team less than anyone. I think there's going to be more grumbling if/when we let Ed Reed play elsewhere.

Again, I've been on the Flacco bandwagon since year one and would bet everything on him resigning, but I'm bracing for the unlikely event that he concedes nothing to play for us over some desperate team.

I haven't gone through all the figures, but a $20+ million cap hit next year is not survivable for next year, so it would give Flacco's agent all the leverage. If we give him the regular tag, the pressure would be on him to get a fair deal done or chase a moderately bigger pay day to start over with a desperate team that will now be down 2 firsts in their rebuilding process.

So in short: yes I'd be ok with risking the regular tag and exposing him to market with Flacco knowing the type of deal we will not match.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
^Among other Raven fans I know, none of them really fully believed in Flacco or thought of him as the biggest piece to our team. Denver survived trading Cutler with no real replacement and getting rid of Tebow who was much lived there.

Outside of maybe Philly, our fanbase builds up their QB relative to the rest of the team less than anyone. I think there's going to be more grumbling if/when we let Ed Reed play elsewhere.

Again, I've been on the Flacco bandwagon since year one and would bet everything on him resigning, but I'm bracing for the unlikely event that he concedes nothing to play for us over some desperate team.

I haven't gone through all the figures, but a $20+ million cap hit next year is not survivable for next year, so it would give Flacco's agent all the leverage. If we give him the regular tag, the pressure would be on him to get a fair deal done or chase a moderately bigger pay day to start over with a desperate team that will now be down 2 firsts in their rebuilding process.

So in short: yes I'd be ok with risking the regular tag and exposing him to market with Flacco knowing the type of deal we will not match.

Leverage plays a part, sure, but is not the end all be all. It simply means that the Ravens will need to give in a bit more than they would like, but ultimately, it comes down to each side giving a little. It's in both parties' best interest to get a long-term deal done rather than playing under the franchise tag. Trust me, his agent will be more willing to sign a 7 year deal for about $18.5m/year rather than his asking price of $20m as opposed to playing a single season under a $20m tag price and risking that Joe injures himself or performs poorly and deflates his value. The agent (and Joe) know his value is at its absolute highest right now and they want to cash in. It isn't a matter of the Ravens saying $14m and them wanting $20m and us being super far apart. It was reported they were getting close but ran out of time before the season started, so they aren't going to be worlds apart.

There is a 0% chance that we expose Flacco to ANY sort of risk whatsoever in terms of even having the ability to talk to another team. 0.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:

They were able to get rid of Tim Tebow because they brought in Peyton Manning, and there is no silver bullet out there if we were to theoretically to lose Flacco. The best case scenario would be getting a high 1st round pick if he's tagged and then signed, but it's not even really a QB-strong draft.

The Broncos didn't much 'survive' the Cutler trade either, in the sense that McDaniels was a complete failure and the team bottomed out after a solid 5 game start post-Cutler. Dunno if either of those are good examples to look to as far as losing Flacco is concerned. People were mad when we released Dilfer post-Super Bowl, and he was, well, Trent Dilfer. If we were to let Flacco loose after the postseason we had, with the history at QB pre-Flacco that the Ravens have to wear around their neck... this fanbase would flip out IMO.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 21 of 100

Jump to: