Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
You guys act like it's not possible that we lose out, despite playing 2 SB-MVP QB's and RGIII in Washington. It's definitely possible, and this team could definitely make that happen.

Noone has said impossible.

Do you think it's probable? Serious question.

Also, how do you reconcile your glass completely empty outlook on the Ravens and your pimptastic pimpin' of the Seahawks?

I would say, in NFL terms, it's between questionable and probable at this point. We are fully capable of losing out given our defense's lack of ability to stay disciplined in the run game (which could kill us against WAS), our ability to leave open WR's on a consistent basis (which WILL kill us against DEN). Couple that with our offense's lack of just about any kind of identity at this point and it's certainly more probably IMO that we lose out rather than win out.

As for the last question, I've always asked myself the same thing! I have no idea why I have so much homerism towards the Seahawks and so much pessimism towards the Ravens. Just how it is, I suppose. Maybe it's because I care less about the Hawks and don't take the time to actually put any expectations into them so I just kind of take them for what they are, but with Baltimore since I have such high expectations I often see myself being constantly let down by this team, which could be the source of the aforementioned pessimism and extreme realism Crying or Very sad

That's the thing, we're trying to shake you out of it. Extreme realism?! I don't think so. We lost a close game to the Steelers... but trust me, this organization will get over it. If we lose out I will be the first to give you props for seeing it coming, but I think the chances of Baltimore finishing 9-7 are something like 15 or 16 to 1. Even this weekend @ WAS... I think we win this game 7 out of 10 times.

And believe me, I welcome you guys trying. I want so bad to like DTMB (oh gosh, did I just say that?!) and after we beat San Diego, I was fully on-board with the "haters gon hate" slogan we have adopted this year (and even said we'd drop 40 on Pittsburgh and our offense would come out gunslinging, against my better judgment), but it just seems e very time I try to have high hopes, they just get shattered.

We lost a close game that shouldn't have been close. Emmanuel Sanders holds on to the ball and instead of a tie game they are up by 14 on us lol

And yeah, the chances of us losing out are slim but given this team's inconsistency, I can't make argument to see why we should win any of these games. I watched WAS last week and the way you stop RGIII is to remain disciplined in the run game and hit the snot out of him; I don't believe we can do that, especially after how badly we have failed at containing the edge and staying disciplined against Pittsburgh and other teams this year. Their offense is really complex, creative, exciting, and multi-dimensional and our defense has zero pass rush. I don't see it being a good matchup for us personally.

The only game that looks like a good matchup is NYG because their defense can be suspect at times and Eli Manning is a rich-mans Joe Flacco, so who knows what could happen. So for right now chalk me down for 1 loss (DEN), 1 win (NYG), and 1 IDK (WAS).

Not trying to be a jerk but there are 4 games left (Cinci in week 17).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
You guys act like it's not possible that we lose out, despite playing 2 SB-MVP QB's and RGIII in Washington. It's definitely possible, and this team could definitely make that happen.

Also, how do you reconcile your glass completely empty outlook on the Ravens and your pimptastic pimpin' of the Seahawks?

I would say, in NFL terms, it's between questionable and probable at this point. We are fully capable of losing out given our defense's lack of ability to stay disciplined in the run game (which could kill us against WAS), our ability to leave open WR's on a consistent basis (which WILL kill us against DEN). Couple that with our offense's lack of just about any kind of identity at this point and it's certainly more probably IMO that we lose out rather than win out.

As for the last question, I've always asked myself the same thing! I have no idea why I have so much homerism towards the Seahawks and so much pessimism towards the Ravens. Just how it is, I suppose. Maybe it's because I care less about the Hawks and don't take the time to actually put any expectations into them so I just kind of take them for what they are, but with Baltimore since I have such high expectations I often see myself being constantly let down by this team, which could be the source of the aforementioned pessimism and extreme realism Crying or Very sad

That's the thing, we're trying to shake you out of it. Extreme realism?! I don't think so. We lost a close game to the Steelers... but trust me, this organization will get over it. If we lose out I will be the first to give you props for seeing it coming, but I think the chances of Baltimore finishing 9-7 are something like 15 or 16 to 1. Even this weekend @ WAS... I think we win this game 7 out of 10 times.

And believe me, I welcome you guys trying. I want so bad to like DTMB (oh gosh, did I just say that?!) and after we beat San Diego, I was fully on-board with the "haters gon hate" slogan we have adopted this year (and even said we'd drop 40 on Pittsburgh and our offense would come out gunslinging, against my better judgment), but it just seems e very time I try to have high hopes, they just get shattered.

We lost a close game that shouldn't have been close. Emmanuel Sanders holds on to the ball and instead of a tie game they are up by 14 on us lol

And yeah, the chances of us losing out are slim but given this team's inconsistency, I can't make argument to see why we should win any of these games. I watched WAS last week and the way you stop RGIII is to remain disciplined in the run game and hit the snot out of him; I don't believe we can do that, especially after how badly we have failed at containing the edge and staying disciplined against Pittsburgh and other teams this year. Their offense is really complex, creative, exciting, and multi-dimensional and our defense has zero pass rush. I don't see it being a good matchup for us personally.

The only game that looks like a good matchup is NYG because their defense can be suspect at times and Eli Manning is a rich-mans Joe Flacco, so who knows what could happen. So for right now chalk me down for 1 loss (DEN), 1 win (NYG), and 1 IDK (WAS).

I thought there was, and when I checked on NFL.com it didn't show week 17 for some reason.

So chalk that up as a win for us as well.

Sooooo.....well....I retract my whole "we can lose out" thing. There's really no way we lose to Cinci week 17.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since we've got this regime in place Harbaugh, Flacco etc. we have been a team that responds well to critics, although sustaining that response has been something different. This has been a very weird season we won games we could have lost and lost games we could have won but who hasn't? Its time to man up. We took last week for granted as a 'team and as a fanbase. Shoot when was the last time we posted a Steelers gameday thread on a Saturday. No excuse for the past but we 9-3 and we can be better alot better and I aint just talking record. The thing now is its not about what we've done but what we do going forward, any given Sunday u dig.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I thought there was, and when I checked on NFL.com it didn't show week 17 for some reason.

Sooooo.....well....I retract my whole "we can lose out" thing. There's really no way we lose to Cinci week 17.

3 games is possible to lose out, 4 on the other hand I just don't ever see happening*. We lost 3 games in a row once under Harbs/Flacco (in the 9-7 year), but never 4.

*Obviously never winning a game ever again is "possible." Does anyone really see that happening though?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

3 games is possible to lose out, 4 on the other hand I just don't ever see happening*. We lost 3 games in a row once under Harbs/Flacco (in the 9-7 year), but never 4.

*Obviously never winning a game ever again is "possible." Does anyone really see that happening though?

And with the added Cincinnati game, I don't think there's any chance we lose out. We might lose 3 of the last 4, but certainly not 4 in a row (actually 5 in a row counting last Sunday). If that happens, I think we'd all be up in arms ready to burn down Harbaugh's house.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ravens General Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Just a place to post random Ravens-related thoughts that don't necessarily need an entire thread...

So what's going on over in comparisons? Not that it's a huge deal or anything, but the Ravens are getting NO love in anyone's power rankings. Seems to extend beyond this board, though. 9-3 is still 9-3.

People like to hate us, especially this year because our wins aren't pretty. I saw power rankings that dropped us a few spots for losing to the Steelers and Charlie Batch, yet the 49ers with a worse record lose to the Rams and they sit in the top 3.

I guess we're just getting "stale" to those people because we keep winning, but it's not impressive.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
kmvoss wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

It seems to me that you're far from "extreme realism" and more along hte lines of "bi-polar".

You're always one to tell people how the glass is half empty, how we aren't that great, but then we win an exciting game in San Diego and immediately you jump to "Haters gonna hate" and predict a 40 point game against the #1 defense in the league. Then, when we don't produce that, you go right back to "this team could lose out, we need heads rolling", etc.

It seems to me that you put unrealistic expectations out there and when they aren't met, it bothers you and you turn all negative Nancy on us.

I think if you tempered your expectations closer to "real reality" instead of "your reality", you'd see that it's not as much of a roller coaster as you think, so when we lose a game the sky isn't falling and we aren't some terrible team -- it's just one game out of 16 Wink

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
It comes down to two things:

a.) Haters

b.) Gonna hate

Yup.

Anyone got a link to these threads?

Your Super Bowl prediction

what If the Ravens Let Flacco Walk?

Give Me Your Top 10 Power Ranking...

The Power Ranking thread is Gold all the way through but you should start at the end.

Just read through the 'What if the Ravens let Flacco walk?' thread, and have to laugh at the people in there mocking Joe's looks, of all things. Only Patriots fans would think it's somehow important for a QB to be handsome. Laughing

Not being American, I've not been as exposed to what NFL fans in general think about certain things, but over the last year or so, it's become increasingly clear that the Ravens seem to garner an amount of hate that is really excessive for their supposed 'small market team' status.

Is it because they were a defensive powerhouse for so many years, winning ugly and beating teams up? I can see why fans of certain teams that don't like physical football at all would start to dislike that, but even then it's pretty extreme.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
It seems to me that you're far from "extreme realism" and more along hte lines of "bi-polar".

You're always one to tell people how the glass is half empty, how we aren't that great, but then we win an exciting game in San Diego and immediately you jump to "Haters gonna hate" and predict a 40 point game against the #1 defense in the league. Then, when we don't produce that, you go right back to "this team could lose out, we need heads rolling", etc.

It seems to me that you put unrealistic expectations out there and when they aren't met, it bothers you and you turn all negative Nancy on us.

I think if you tempered your expectations closer to "real reality" instead of "your reality", you'd see that it's not as much of a roller coaster as you think, so when we lose a game the sky isn't falling and we aren't some terrible team -- it's just one game out of 16 Wink

Bingo. SnA, you oscillate between wrist-slitting manic depressive and chest-thumping homer without ever really acknowledging that there's a middle ground to be held, which is where I think a lot of the rest of us are. It's possible to believe John Harbaugh is a good head coach or that we've got a really good football team while still seeing that there are flaws in the team. And it's possible to complain about Cam Cameron's outdated scheme while not wielding that as some sort of battle axe to drown out any other conversation about the offense and where other issues may be, or even believing that Cam Cameron-aside this offense is still capable of getting it done. There's just more nuance to this than I think you acknowledge at times, and so we end up with these rants about "HARBAUGH BAD" or "CAM SUCKS" (though on this one it may actually just be that simple) or "RAY RICE GOOD, FLACCO BAD," "BLOWN COVERAGE, FIRE THE COACHING STAFF" when you're just not giving the more nuanced discussions a chance, because trying to acknowledge the complexities of these issues just end up being pilloried as 'excuses.'

No one is 'ruling out' the possibility of losing out. Most of us here don't operate with any assumptions about what is going to happen. The only people who continously peek into their crystal balls and make absolutist promises about what's going to play out are the genius prognosticators in NFL Gen/Comparisons and their ilk, who have been promising a Ravens collapse for the past 5 years. We've got a tough schedule to finish out the season and I don't think anybody thinks these next 4 games are going to be easy, but this idea that all of a sudden the Steelers loss means that when we face any decent team we have to shake in our boots and fear for our lives is just, I think, not grounded in reality. It's grounded in some sensationalist version of reality in which the Ravens are either the best team in the league or the worst team in the league, depending on what mood you're in. You don't have to be the most optimistic or pessimistic guy in the room at all times. Sometimes, you can just be another guy in the room. That's what the rest of us are. Except DTMB. But DTMB's gonna DTMB.

I said last week when you were predicting a 40-burger on the Steelers that your optimism was, to put it mildly, completely out of touch from the reality of the situation. And I can tell you now that your doomsday fears of a winless finish are a little too gloomy. To butcher a Mark Twain quote, the rumors of this team's death are greatly exaggerrated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for starters I kind of agree with what both of you are saying, but my stance that we would lose out was based on the false assumption that we only had three games left (WAS, NYG, DEN) and those teams just match up well against us so it was not a bad assumption to say that we could lose out in those games. When I saw that Cinci was still left in week 17 I immediately dismissed the notion that we could lose out. I just don't see that happening. I could still see us losing those 3 games but not to Cinci.

Meh, I don't really know what else to say. Every week I see new things from the Ravens media 'was this the week the Ravens made the turn?' and I started to believe it and buy into the hype, and then last week happened. Same thing happens every year it seems like. Yeah, my prediction was outlandish about putting up 40 on Pittsburgh but I honestly believed that our offense would come out with a different game plan than they did 2 weeks prior, but alas Cam Cameron said "eff that noise" and did the same thing.

However, I never make it as simple as "blown coverage, fire the coaching staff". When I make those statements, it's from a number of incidences I have seen that lead up to me believing that. With Cam, it's really quite simple, as you said, in that he just flat out sucks. He's stuck in his old-fashioned ways and refuses to use the playmakers that are given to him in ways that their talents allow.

But yes, sometimes I flash between mega-homer and bipolar, this past week being probably a really good example of that, but usually I do try to stay somewhere near the pessimistic-middle and keep a realistic look on things for the most part.

With all that being said, CAM SUCKS, FIRE THE COACHING STAFF!
Twisted Evil

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*grouphug*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see what giants fans were saying this time last year. I bet they felt the same way we do right now. My thinking is if we win three out of four with that lone loss coming at home against the giants then we should be able to get the second seed. We will then have the tiebreaker over Denver and New England and I expect New England will either drop one against the Texans or 49ers. Let the haters hate, we get the second seed again this year we're Super Bowl bound.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to ask one thing, why is everyone blaming Cam for the game plan last week? I'm sure someone previously touched on this, but even if Ray Rice didn't get as many running plays called as most of us would have liked, it made sense seeing as Rice has never done overly well against the Steelers. Our running game as a whole was used fairly efficiently and I thought we came out there with a relatively well balanced attack. And I love, LOVED the number of times we tried to attack the Steelers' beat up secondary deep. Can't blame Cam for Joe being horribly inaccurate on nearly all of those deep attempts. We as a team sucked and it's absolutely pathetic that we lost to that Steelers team with Charlie Batch at the helm, but I don't think it's fair at all to place the blame on Cam for that one.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Caw-Ray-Lewis-Hardcore-Facemask/8c3dc2af-1379-4e36-b44e-9a7a8fbf50b6

Yes.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
I just want to ask one thing, why is everyone blaming Cam for the game plan last week? I'm sure someone previously touched on this, but even if Ray Rice didn't get as many running plays called as most of us would have liked, it made sense seeing as Rice has never done overly well against the Steelers. Our running game as a whole was used fairly efficiently and I thought we came out there with a relatively well balanced attack. And I love, LOVED the number of times we tried to attack the Steelers' beat up secondary deep. Can't blame Cam for Joe being horribly inaccurate on nearly all of those deep attempts. We as a team sucked and it's absolutely pathetic that we lost to that Steelers team with Charlie Batch at the helm, but I don't think it's fair at all to place the blame on Cam for that one.

Actually, Ray Rice has been VERY effective against Pittsburgh when he's used correctly.

Remember the play where Flacco motioned him out to the right and then Ray Rice made the entire defense look silly on 4th down? Yes, it's true that when you try to run HB Dives with Ray Rice he's not going to do much, but if you get him in space using zone runs where he can use his agility and quickness, Ray Rice will eat that defense alive.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter if Ray Rice has been "bad in the past", he ended his night in the 3rd quarter with a TD run of 34 yards (longest of the season) and a 10-yard run, to finish the night with 6.5 YPC. You simply don't go away from that, ESPECIALLY because he's your best offensive player!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 2 of 100

Jump to: