You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Smith/Norv Turner to be fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
After Norv Turner hiring Ron Rivera to be the Defensive Coordinator in San Diego, I could easily see Rivera returning the favour in Carolina.

Then again taking your former assistants job doesn't sound like Norv to me. Norv may be a terrible head coach but he is a good guy that I can't see stomping on his old assistant like that.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
After Norv Turner hiring Ron Rivera to be the Defensive Coordinator in San Diego, I could easily see Rivera returning the favour in Carolina.

Then again taking your former assistants job doesn't sound like Norv to me. Norv may be a terrible head coach but he is a good guy that I can't see stomping on his old assistant like that.

I think he's going to Baltimore.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
RollEagles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Andy Reid. He will make a fine coach for you all in San Diego.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
I like Andy Reid. He will make a fine coach for you all in San Diego.

I highly doubt he will be coaching SD next year. From all reports, the Spanos want to go young.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shefter is confirming it, so it's gotta be true

Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Chargers coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith will be fired on Monday.
The Union-Tribune San Diego reported as much three weeks ago. Turner has been dead man walking for the majority of a season in which his team finished 7-9. He's expected to have his pick of "at least five" offensive coordinator jobs. Smith has been accused of hiring Turner as a "puppet" after butting heads with Marty Schottenheimer in a "dysfunctional" relationship. Although Smith was an exceptionally strong drafter early in his San Diego tenure, his track record has been spotty in the past half-decade.

I still had a deep fear that they would change their mind and keep AJ.

Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN reports the Chargers do not plan to make a run at Andy Reid.
Per Adam Schefter, the Bolts plan to "go in other directions." That could be interpreted as "spend less money than Reid will likely demand." San Diego has been the early favorite for Reid's services since the coaching rumor mill first fired up mid-season, but this is the only credible report in either direction. We'd guess Reid is elsewhere if he's coaching in 2013, which he's said he plans to be.

Basically what we all thought. Too cheap to pay Reid money.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what it would be like to have an owner who actually cares about winning? Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
Wonder what it would be like to have an owner who actually cares about winning? Sad

Something I likely will never know. Padres might surprise me someday though.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official! Ego will no longer be the biggest factor in personnel/coaching decisions.

On another note....

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have hired former longtime GM Ron Wolf to assist with their general manager search.
The former Raiders and Packers GM will work as a consultant as San Diego attempts to replace A.J. Smith. Unlike the Browns, the Bolts will likely hire a GM before tabbing a head coach, which probably takes them out of the running for someone like Chip Kelly. ESPN's Jon Gruden is still in play with San Diego.

So it's not going to be handed to Jimmy Raye, or any family members. If they go outside the organization, it could mean the team we know right now will be gone. That could also me we go in a rebuilding period.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
It's official! Ego will no longer be the biggest factor in personnel/coaching decisions.

On another note....

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have hired former longtime GM Ron Wolf to assist with their general manager search.
The former Raiders and Packers GM will work as a consultant as San Diego attempts to replace A.J. Smith. Unlike the Browns, the Bolts will likely hire a GM before tabbing a head coach, which probably takes them out of the running for someone like Chip Kelly. ESPN's Jon Gruden is still in play with San Diego.

So it's not going to be handed to Jimmy Raye, or any family members. If they go outside the organization, it could mean the team we know right now will be gone. That could also me we go in a rebuilding period.

If they still hire him this would seem like nothing more than just a PR move imo. Personally think we should rebuild, but don't see us doing that yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanDiegoScrubs wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

On another note....

Rotoworld wrote:

If they still hire him this would seem like nothing more than just a PR move imo. Personally think we should rebuild, but don't see us doing that yet.

Rebuild? Seriously?

The team is not THAT bad, we went 7-9 with an absolute joke of an offensive line and even so there were a number of games that we should have won but could not close out (NO, Den, Clev). We have a number of young guys on D that are showing alot of promise and would be a good way to build the team on. Luiget, Reyes, Ingram, Butler, Weddle... We need some corners to build on but really our D has been solid with Pagano this year. If we can protect Rivers and open some running lanes (plus have a back who can find those lanes*pointing at you Mathews, but you probably didnt see that either!*) then I don't see why we couldn't be back in the playoffs next year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also went 7-9 with an absolute joke of a schedule with 4 of those wins coming against teams picking in the top 3 and no wins against a >.500 team. The defense is relatively fine but we should rebuild on offense. Rivers is not a championship level QB and the talent of offense is lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
SanDiegoScrubs wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

On another note....

Rotoworld wrote:

Rebuild? Seriously?

The team is not THAT bad, we went 7-9 with an absolute joke of an offensive line and even so there were a number of games that we should have won but could not close out (NO, Den, Clev). We have a number of young guys on D that are showing alot of promise and would be a good way to build the team on. Luiget, Reyes, Ingram, Butler, Weddle... We need some corners to build on but really our D has been solid with Pagano this year. If we can protect Rivers and open some running lanes (plus have a back who can find those lanes*pointing at you Mathews, but you probably didnt see that either!*) then I don't see why we couldn't be back in the playoffs next year.
We need more than just corners on D. Phillips and Franklin are both FAs. If they leave we will obviously need an NT and OLB. And even if Phillips returns we'll still need another OLB because he's done. And if Spikes retires we'll need an ILB.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be ok with this.

Rotoworld wrote:
Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports the Chargers have had "serious" internal discussions about making Colts OC Bruce Arians their next head coach.
The Chargers need to hire a general manager who's on board with Arians first, but upper management clearly has its eye on the 2012 Coach of the Year candidate. Per Acee, former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt is interested in San Diego's vacancy. Again, much is going to come down to the next GM.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanDiegoScrubs wrote:
We also went 7-9 with an absolute joke of a schedule with 4 of those wins coming against teams picking in the top 3 and no wins against a >.500 team. The defense is relatively fine but we should rebuild on offense. Rivers is not a championship level QB and the talent of offense is lacking.

The Chargers only got blown out in one game this year and Rivers is a championship level QB, and is the biggest reason why we may get a good coach.

The team isn't that far away from being a playoff caliber team.
SanDiegoScrubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
The Chargers only got blown out in one game this year
Actually 2 and they both were at home against teams that had to travel across the country.

Quote:
Rivers is a championship level QB
Not seeing it. He folds in pressure situations and doesn't make his teammates better. Don't see how you can be a championship level QB when you're tops in turnovers and can't orchestrate a basic 2 minute drill.

Quote:
is the biggest reason why we may get a good coach.
If they ignore how he's played the past 2 years and listen to the hype.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: