Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Complete Mock offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Complete Mock offseason Reply with quote

I spent a great deal of time on this. I hope some will take the time to read it and supply meaningful feedback.

Coaching Changes
Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz have a lengthy discussion. Mayhew insists that something needs to change for the team to progress. Schwartz takes a hug step forward and swallows some pride. Coaching changes are agreed upon.

Retirement:
Gunther Cunningham-Cunningham has been at it for a long time. He is certainly not to fault for the defensive deficiencies but Schwartz informs him that he could be let go. Cunningham retires in order to save face for him and the organization.

Coaching Hires:
Defensive Coordinator/Assistant HC: Steve Spagnuolo
I have a feeling that Coach Payton is lured to Dallas buy Jerry Jones. Spagnuolo becomes more or less free to seek employment. Schwartz meets with Spagnuolo and informs him that he will have a great deal of independence as Detroit’s coordinator and will carry the title of Assistant HC. Spagnuolo joins.

Defensive Line Coach: Mike Wauffle
Wauffle is a veteran defensive line coach who has had success almost anywhere he goes. He rejoins Spagnuolo (worked together in NY) after being released by the Rams in favor of Washburn.

Linebacker Coach: Ken Flajole
He is currently the secondary coach of the Saints and former DC for Spagnuolo in St. Louis. He has several years of experience with the Panthers as a LB coach and will help Spagnuolo game plan.

Secondary Coach: Dennis Thurman
Thurman has many years of coaching secondaries both at the collegiate level and in the pros. He finds new employment after the implosion happens for the Jets.

Quality Control/Assistant Linebacker: Matt Burke
Matt Burke is retained but in a different role. He moves to a broader role in self-scouting and scouting opponents. He will also continue some work with the linebacker corps.

QB Coach: Jim Zorn
As you may have noticed, I did not add a new offensive coordinator. Linehan is retained but an expert QB coach is brought in to help with Stafford development. Zorn’s years of experience will also Linehan in game planning.

WR Coach: Charlie Joiner
With the retention of Linehan I think Jefferson leaves. They have butted heads at least once on the sidelines and the WR corps led the leagues in drops. Joiner is a veteran who should help develop some of our young wide outs.

Assistant WR Coach: Kyle Valero
Valero is currently offensive assistant. He moves on to Assistant WR coach and can learn a lot from a veteran like Joiner.

TE Coach/Assistant HC: Tony Sparano
Pettigrew’s development has stalled. A new coach is an option to try and remedy this. Sparano has been fired as HC of the Dolphins and is likely to be looking for a job again after the year the Jets have had. He seems to be a high character guy as well and is given the title of Assistant HC to help provide leadership for the team.

Offensive Assistant: Bob April
Son of special teams coordinator

Special Team Coordinator: Bobby April
Bobby April is considered one of the best in the business. He joins the Lions to help turn our special teams play around and to rejoin his son.

Special Team Assistant: Duce Staley
Staley is brought along to continue helping Bobby April

Roster:
Starting Cap Space: Roughly $20 million

Player Retirements
Kyle Vandenbosch
Kyle has not gotten it done. I think he decides to hang up the helmet while he is ahead.

Savings: $3 million

Restructure:
Calvin Johnson

Savings: $3 million

Restructure/Extend:
Matthew Stafford
Ndamukong Suh

I will be honest and say I am not sure how this works. I would hope Schwartz and Mayhew meet with these two and work out long term extensions to help avoid a fiscal cliff. If this is not possible they simply restructure Stafford.

Minimal Savings: $8 million

Cuts:
Nate Burleson
Dominic Raiola
Stephen Peterman

Burleson and Raiola are both warriors and would be nice to keep but the business side of football often reigns supreme.

Minimal Savings: $10.7 million

Roughly 44.7 Million

Franchise Tag:
Cliff Avril
The front office uses the franchise tag to buy more time for a long term deal.

Resign:
Chris Houston- 4 years/ $28 million
DeAndre Levy- 3 years/ $9 million
Corey Williams- 1 year/ $1 million
Lawrence Jackson- 1 year/ $1 million

Kassim Osgood- 1 year/ $800k
Ashlee Palmer- 1 year/ $700k
Don Muhlbach- 3 years/ $2.7 million
Jason Hanson-2 year/ $5 million

Kellen Moore- 2 years/ S1 million
Patrick Edwards- 2 years/ $1 million
Rodney Austin- 2 year/ $1 million

Carmen Messina- 1 year/ $480k
Don Carrey-1 year/ $550k
Ricardo Silva- 1 year/ $480k

Restricted Free Agents:
Jason Fox (original round tender)-renogiated to 2 year/ 2 million
Willie Young (2nd round tender)- renegotiate 2 year/ 2 million
Joique Bell (2nd round tender) renegotiate 3 years/ 4 million
Amari Spievey (original round tender) tag signed

Total Cap Spent retaining players: Roughly $24 million
Rough estimate of cap: $20 million

Noticeable Departures:
Louis Delmas
Leader of the defense leaves. Lions cannot offer him the money he wants to ride the bench with injuries.

Justin Durant
I think between Levy and Durant one will leave in free agency.

Sammie Lee Hill
Hill will be offered equivalent money or more money to start for another team. He takes the offer.

Gosder Cherilus
Gosder is a solid player. I suspect some team will overpay for his services.

Free Agents
WR-Mohamed Massaquoi-3 year/ 5 million
Massaquoi decided to rejoin Stafford in the pros. He will compete for a #2 spot.

CB-Ron Bartell-1 year/ 2 million
Ron Bartell rejoins Spagnuolo and Flajole and provides the Leos with a stop gap

S-Yeremiah Bell- 1 year/ 1.5 million
Yeremaih Bell is talented but getting old. He follows Thurman and Sparano and provides another stop gap.

S- Michael Mitchell- 1 year/ 1 million
Mitchell was expected to start for the Raiders this season prior to injury. He signs a smaller contract to prove he is worth more.

OL-Ebon Britton-2 year/ 1.75 million
Britton has found himself on the bench for the Jaguars. He will provide valuable depth at RT/RG and could possibly develop into a starter.

RG-Geoff Schwartz-3 year/ 7million
Schwartz got a look from the lions this past offseason. He is brought in again but stays in Detroit this time around.

DT Amobi Okoye-1 year/ 1 million
Okoye has fallen from grace. He has been cut by the Texans, Bucs, and twice by the Bears. I think he joins the Lions with a chance to resurrect his career in our DT rotation.

LB Geno Hayes-1 year/1 million
Geno Hayes will provide valuable depth, exspecially in passing situations.

Total cap spent in new acquisitions: $10 million
Rough Estimate of cap: $12 million

Trades:
Cliff Avril to the Jacksonville Jaguars for their 2nd and 4th round draft choices.

Titus Young to the Miami Dolphins for two 7th round draft choices and a 2014 conditional draft choice.

Draft:
**The Detroit Lions trade their 1st and a future 4th to the to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their 1st and 2nd round picks-The Buccaneers select CB Milliner

1-LB Dion Jordan-Oregon
The Lions have to fix the defense. The lions select Jordan to play SAM in our new defensive scheme. Jordan has the experience and fluidity to play in space and the length to deceive quarterbacks while doing so. Jordan can also be blitzed to exploit weakness. He will also likely lineup at DE in nickel and dime situations.
Comparison: IMO a better Mathias Kiwanuka

2(Jag)-DE Alex Okafor-Texas
I know that some may not like going front seven back to back but it is a necessity. Okafor has played DE at a high level and has succeeded at DT. I think he can step in day one at LE. He could go higher but I think he may fall as a result of the number of athletic defensive ends available.
Comparison: Justin Tuck

2-CB Xavier Rhodes-Florida State
Rhodes is my favorite CB prospect. I think he will fall a bit because teams may think he is a CB/s tweener. He has a chance to start in his rookie year.

2-S David Amerson-North Carolina State
Amerson is a playmaker plain and simple. I do think he will end up slipping come draft day because he is better suited playing FS and there are bound to be some combine risers. Amerson did h play safety in high school and is a hard worker. I think he could end up being the steal of the draft.

3-CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson-UConn
Wreh-Wilson is a big corner who has gone under the radar. He has a ton of potential and could develop into a starter.

4-S Phillip Thomas-Fresno
Phillip Thomas is another playmaker. He has some challenged ahead of him but he could easily develop into a starter.

5- TE Tyler Kelce- Cincinnati
Tyler’s brother plays for the eagles. He has been productive and is athletic enough that he played some wildcat QB. He is the kind of guy we need to develop.

6-OL Graham Pocic-Illinois
Pocic plays center but he could probably play anywhere on the interior. He is bigger than your normal center and may measure up to 6’7 at the combine. That kind of height could cause leverage issues but Pocic has played against a ton of NFL talent over the years.

7-DE Craig Roh-Michigan
Homer pick. I think Roh is going to fall under the category of players who do better in the pros. He is a hard worker, team player, and great athlete. He just needs time to develop at a single position.

7-P Quinn Sharp- Oklahoma State
The lions really need a new punter. Quinn can do more than punt. He can kick, be used on fakes, and take over kickoffs to keep Hanson fresh.

7-WR/RB Sammy McGuffy-Rice
It has long been reported that he runs a 4.3 forty. He is a great athlete with experience at WR/RB/KR. He could easily develop into the utility/big play guy that the lions have been missing.

Notable UDFA
S-Ray Ray Armstrong-none
Armstrong is a first round talent who was part of the Miami recruiting scandal. He did not play football this year as a result. He could be a huge steal if given time to get back on track.

DT-William Campbell-Michigan
Campbell was a huge recruit from Detroit. He has the natural ability to be as dominant as any defensive tackle but has not put it all together.

WR-Mark Harrison-Rutgers
Harrison has put up dominant numbers in 2010 but has not matched those in the next two years combined. He is a big, athletic receiver with potential.

OT-Sean Hooey-Cincinnati
Hooey is 6-8, has long arms, and is fluid. The only problem is he is inexperienced as he has been hurt constantly.

QB, WR, RB-MarQueis Gray-Minnesota
MarQueis Gray could be referred to as Dennard Robinson light except that he is 6’4 250lbs. He is a great athlete and can make plays as a wide out and in the backfield. He will need some development but could make an impact in the future.

QB TE-Collin Klein- Kansas State
Klein has the size and athleticism to be an intriguing developmental QB. He is however similar to Tim Tebow in that proper handling and several years before he should considered a serious option on the depth chart.

OLB-Archibald Barnes-Vanderbilt
Barnes has moved positions many times during his career. This means he does need some work but has the athleticism and work ethic to become a solid pro.

RG-Blaize Foltz-TCU
Foltz has experience and freakish strength but is not particularly fluid and has a history with injuries.

FB/DE-Taimi Tutogi-Arizona
Tutogi plays FB and acts as a situational pass rusher. He will likely be kept around for practice squad.

Roster Entering Training Camp:
QB-Stafford, Hill, Moore, Klein
RB-Leshoure, Bell, Best
TE/FB-Pettigrew, Scheftler, Kelce, Tutogi
WR-Johnson, Thomas, Edwards, Harrison
WR-Massaquoi, Broyles, Osgood

LT-Reiff, Fox, Hooey
LG-Sims, Austin
OC-Nagy,Podic
RG-Schwartz, Foltz
RT-Backus, Britton,
ATH –McGuffy, Gray

DE-LoJack, Roh
DT-Suh, Okoye, Campbell
DT-Fairley, Williams
DE-Okafor, Young, Lewis

LB-Jordan, Whitehead, Barnes
LB-Tulloch, Lewis, Palmer, Messina
LB-Levy, Hayes

CB-Bartell, Bentley, Rhodes, Wreh Wilsom
SS-Mitchell, Phillips, Wendling, Silva
FS-Bell, Spievey, Carey, Amerson, Armstrong
CB-Houston, Green, Greenwood

LS Muhlbach
K Jason Hanson
P Quinn Sharp
KR/PR-McGuffy

Projected 53 man roster/ Depth Chart

QB-Stafford, Hill, Moore
RB-Leshoure, Bell, Best
TE-Pettigrew, Scheftler, Kelce
WR-Johnson, Thomas, Edwards
WR-Massaquoi, Broyles, Osgood
RB/WR-McGuffy

LT-Reiff, Fox
LG-Sims, Austin
OC-Nagy, Podic
RG-Schwartz, Britton
RT-Backus, Britton

ATH –McGuffy

DE-LoJack, Roh
DT-Suh, Okoye
DT-Fairley, Williams
DE-Okafor, Young, Lewis

LB-Jordan, Whitehead
LB-Tulloch, Lewis, Palmer
LB-Levy

CB-Bartell, Rhodes
SS- Bell, Phillips
FS- Amerson
CB-Houston, Wreh Wilsom
NB-Bentley
DB- Green, Carey

LS Muhlbach
K Hanson
P Sharp
KR/PR-McGuffy

Notable Cuts:
Geno Hayes
Michael Mitchell
Amari Spievey
Chris Greenwood**Moved to practice squad. He is unlikely to be picked up by another team as he is from a small school and missed a year with injury.

Practice Squad:
1. QB/TE-Collin Klein
2. RB/WR-MarQuis Gray
3. FB/DE-Taimi Tutogi
4. RG Blaize Foltz
5. OT Sean Hooey
6. S-Ray Ray Armstrong
7. CB-Chris Greenwood
8. LB Barnes or LB Messina

Total Cap entering season: Roughly $9 million

Overview:
The defense has some young players, including three rookies starting. If these young players struggle this team could be in trouble. The secondary is also a concern as Bartell and Houston do have injury histories and they are backed up by young players. At safety, the veteran Bell will likely see rotation due to age.

Offensively the lions take some leaps of faith. Those leaps are Nagy producing and Reiff being ready to start. While Backus could remain at LT starting Reiff to start allows chemistry from Reiff to Schwartz. Best may not make it but the team gives him a shot. If so, McGuffy is on the roster and a player could be brought off the street.

If this were to miraculously happen I imagine they would look to roster cuts to bolster the DE spot. Perhaps the like of Mark Anderson could be cut by the Bills and replace Ronnell Lewis.

Comments and complaints encouraged.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how they're going to keep the big three on this team (Stafford, Suh, Calvin). They're going to have to make a decision and keep two of them if they want to have a competitive roster, or they're going to have to convince Stafford or Suh to take a serious pay cut which I don't think is realistic. So, they pretty much have to keep Stafford, and that means that Suh would have to be traded or may just play out his contract. I just don't see a way they can pay all three of those guys and be competitive going forward. There are just too many holes on the roster.

I don't think Rhodes will be there in the second, but it's really early and hard to tell exactly where people will fall.

I enjoyed reading your mock and can tell you put a lot of work into it. I don't have any major complaints. Excellent work!

Team Stylish313
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love this mock.

I think having two Assistant HCs is a bit confusing, but I love the decisions you made, the justification for them, and the players you added. Job very well done.

Team Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a lot to comment on, but the thing that I disagree with the most is getting rid of our secondary coach. He's done a great job turning bad players into good/serviceable players and he's developed our rookies well too.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Theres a lot to comment on, but the thing that I disagree with the most is getting rid of our secondary coach. He's done a great job turning bad players into good/serviceable players and he's developed our rookies well too.

That is a fair point. The secondary has played well considering the investment put into it but their have been some little things that concerned me. Like the inability of our players to turn and locate the ball (Bentley, Green, Lacey) or little breakdowns like Florence letting someone behind him in cover 4. I would be happy either way.
mijags

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my two problems with this draft:

linehan is still the OC

not a fan of massaquoi

otherwise i can live with it
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the idea of further restructuring, especially after JUST giving Calvin a new contract. I would rather have SLH than Corey Williams any day of the week, even for a few million more.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mijags wrote:
my two problems with this draft:

linehan is still the OC

not a fan of massaquoi

otherwise i can live with it

Linehan is leading the #2 offense and the #1 passing offense. This is despite ijuries to the likes of Nate, Best, Broyle and Young. This is combined with some less than idea oline play. While not perfect it seems unreasonable to let him go considering out current output and the impact on Stafford... at least in my opinion.

Quote:
I hate the idea of further restructuring, especially after JUST giving Calvin a new contract. I would rather have SLH than Corey Williams any day of the week, even for a few million more.

Well, restructuring Calvin costs very little over the course of his contract and I would hope for a Stafford extension. In regards to SLH, I think fans need to prepare for his departure. He is likely to leave for playing time unless we throw extra money at him...which would IMO be ridiculous.
mijags

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then prepare for more weak conservative playcalling when we have a lead, opening the door to more late game collapses. a situation that is unacceptable to me and anyone else who calls themselves a lions fan
tytalton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like 20 incoming rookies between the roster and practice squad....wow

I don't think Rhodes, Amerson or Okafor will be there with a trade down. I think we might be in a position to draft one, maybe two if Amerson drops to the second. That's alot of rookies....
mijags

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this offense should never stop attacking.......keep attacking in the close games and if their up by 20 in a game, they should be trying to go up by 40. keep taking shots down field on crucial drives rather than just handing it to leshoure for 2 or 4 yards. ideally id like to see the lions hang 50+ on teams with regularity and (when everyone is healthy) i think they can do that, but not with linehan at the helm.......he lets his foot off the gas too much, hes too soft........we need someone who will instill a killer instinct in this offense, linehan will never be the man for THAT particular job......
Ryan L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. There's a reason the Pats are a winning team. They know how and you see their starters in games that are seemingly well over still scoring (almost to a fault) but they win.....a lot with argueably equal talent, health provided. We can't finish and don't play until half way through the 3rd quarter on most occasions. There has to be accountability for this somewhere.

I like your thought process of trimming fat and bringing on players like Okoye. Talent that needs coaching. However Mohamed has done little imo to show he's capable of being a 2 let alone a 3. Greg Little struggles mightily but can still manage to hold Mohamed off his PT.

SLH needs to stick and I think Nate will take a cut to stay and we need his attitude as well as production.

It's a ton of shake up, but I enjoyed the read and appreciate the time you spent putting this together.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice mock well thought out, nice job . love the avril deal
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well then prepare for more weak conservative playcalling when we have a lead, opening the door to more late game collapses. a situation that is unacceptable to me and anyone else who calls themselves a lions fan

First, that is a little presumptuous to claim that those you disagree with you are Lions fans. Most teams in the NFL become more conservative while nursing a lead late in the game. This allows the team to eat up for clock time and limit turn over.

It seems this methodology of always attack is the equivalent of cutting your own brake lines because you want to get somewhere fast. You will not be able to vary speed and you will crash.

Quote:
That's like 20 incoming rookies between the roster and practice squad....wow

I don't think Rhodes, Amerson or Okafor will be there with a trade down. I think we might be in a position to draft one, maybe two if Amerson drops to the second. That's alot of rookies....

I count 16 rookies between practice squad and active roster. For comparison sake, the Patriots currently have 14, the Eagles 18, and the Lions have 16 if you count our injured players.

As for the second round picks, I understand that. It is hard to say at this point. I tried to give reasonable explanations for their falls however.

Quote:
I like your thought process of trimming fat and bringing on players like Okoye. Talent that needs coaching. However Mohamed has done little imo to show he's capable of being a 2 let alone a 3. Greg Little struggles mightily but can still manage to hold Mohamed off his PT.

SLH needs to stick and I think Nate will take a cut to stay and we need his attitude as well as production.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think he has been somewhat mishandled on a terrible Browns team.

Ideally we could get Nate back cheaper. I thought about doing that but assumed some would find fault with it. In regards to SLH, I think it is inevitable that he leaves. I hope I am wrong though.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that Bartell will sign for that cheap. I think the Raiders alone will offer a higher deal than that.(Where he's currently playing.)

Other than that though, solid mock. I like that idea of Jordan playing next to either Suh/Fairley. He's a real atheltic freak and with some real coaching at the position(DE). He can become something with technique adjustments and pass rushing moves. Not sure he's capable of playing OLB in a 4-3 front in the NFL. He's athletic sure but he's limited in his coverages. 6'7 Dion Jordan will have trouble running routes with some of the smaller TE's and pretty much any RB in space, imo. An a real miss-match if they happen to line up a slot WR against him. Just not a great idea to let Jordan play in that much space imo, 3-4 sure, 4-3. No.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: