Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Fisher Mic'd Up; Info on Janoris Jenkins' Struggles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Jeff Fisher Mic'd Up; Info on Janoris Jenkins' Struggles Reply with quote

We didn't know it, but Jeff Fisher was mic'd up last week for NFL Network's Sound FX. Boy, did they choose a good week to do so.

Here is the link.

It is just awesome to see the emotion of Jeff Fisher, but that is not the most important thing about this segment. In the middle of the game, Jeff Fisher and DB coach Chuck Cecil discuss whether keep "Tru" in the game or to tell "Jenk" to man up and make a play. Cecil adds he wants Jenkins to "be a man." Crazy to think Jeff Fisher actually considered benching Jenkins last week.

Maybe I'm putting too much into that, but maybe we shouldn't be putting all of Jenkins struggles on the scheme. Maybe he does not feel comfortable playing press man? I don't know. But I know many of us, including myself, thought the coaches were forcing him to play off of receivers. That may not be the case.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Jonezy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will get used to it i'm sure

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff Fisher Mic'd Up; Info on Janoris Jenkins' Struggles Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
We didn't know it, but Jeff Fisher was mic'd up last week for NFL Network's Sound FX. Boy, did they choose a good week to do so.

Here is the link.

It is just awesome to see the emotion of Jeff Fisher, but that is not the most important thing about this segment. In the middle of the game, Jeff Fisher and DB coach Chuck Cecil discuss whether keep "Tru" in the game or to tell "Jenk" to man up and make a play. Cecil adds he wants Jenkins to "be a man." Crazy to think Jeff Fisher actually considered benching Jenkins last week.

Maybe I'm putting too much into that, but maybe we shouldn't be putting all of Jenkins struggles on the scheme. Maybe he does not feel comfortable playing press man? I don't know. But I know many of us, including myself, thought the coaches were forcing him to play off of receivers. That may not be the case.

49ers have good WRs, I think he was afraid of getting burned in a close game by Moss or Manningham.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff Fisher Mic'd Up; Info on Janoris Jenkins' Struggles Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Here is the link.

49ers have good WRs, I think he was afraid of getting burned in a close game by Moss or Manningham.
If that's the case, then I think that's a problem. They are not elite receivers. If he can not play press coverage on them, which is his best asset as a corner, that's an issue. He should be able to get physical and shut down both receivers. He's that talented.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, that was a good clip.

I don't see where the implication that they wanted him to play press man comes from? I didn't hear anything that mentioned specific strategy, just that he was playing timid and needed to "man up".

I only say this because after having given it some thought, I'm not sure that the press man coverage on the outside was an appropriate strategy to lean on.

Consider the opposing QB's mobility and and ability to extend plays with his leg, and also his tendency to pull the ball down and run off the edge. I think the real issue was that we didn't cover the slants with our outside LBs.

I'm not sure if this was due to scheme or a failure to get good drops, but I'm going to re-watch the game and see if I notice anything when I'm focusing on it.

To be clear, there were several instances in which the cushions we allowed were inexcusable.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janoris has won us 2 games back to back. He single handedly beat the Cards and got the rams 8 points by himself, Difference maker Cool

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Janoris has won us 2 games back to back. He single handedly beat the Cards and got the rams 8 points by himself, Difference maker Cool

I'm not saying he has played poorly, he is just adjusting to the NFL. He going to take his lumps, it is just if he learns or not will determine his greatness.

I think we are hard on him cause he has the talent to be a shutdown corner.
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt we can know and confirm that JJ has great football instincts. Although there are times he looks lost, there are also times where everyone else is completely lost and he is the only one that knows what is going on.

Two good examples of this are the fumble recovery TD and the tackle on Kape's long run late in the game. (against niners)

There have been countless times in the season where I have seen him being the guy that has to set the edge and make the tackle.

Yes he does need to get better and play better. But without a doubt the guy is a player.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JJ has been more conservative in his play overall as the season has progressed. He isn't jumping nearly as many routes, and we've all seen the off-coverage...

I think some of it has been the scheme, some is the mentality that he's been burned (which happens to every CB - JJ has shown the ability to bounce back the next play though), but the biggest issue, IMO, is he knows how horrendous our safeties have been behind him...

He can't take the same chances he's used to in the passing game, and which his game thrives on. I think both the coaches and himself have seen/realized this. Upgrading both safety positions will be critical this off-season for not only JJ, but our entire pass defense...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
Rrrrrrrams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me, thats not a surprise.
jj is always gambling and can't control his eyes. he always, always, always wants to make the sexy plays.
it works against guys like lindley or keap, but he falls flat on his nose against brady or rodgers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: