Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is Brandon Pettigrew's trade value?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: What is Brandon Pettigrew's trade value? Reply with quote

All - working on my first mock, this idea may or may not be a part of it. I was thinking Pett's value right now is probably around a 3rd round pick. Where do you guys think it stands?

Let's leave whether or not to trade him OUT of the thread, but we're more than welcome to debate his value in terms of 2013 draft picks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Pet you can prob get a 5-6 rd pick imo
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 3rd-4th is probably a decent range. It would not shock me though if he were only able to bring a 6th or 7th though. It seems he has been productive enough to be worth a 3rd and is still young. However Detroit fans seem tired of him mainly due to being a first round pick.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I think 3rd-4th is probably a decent range. It would not shock me though if he were only able to bring a 6th or 7th though. It seems he has been productive enough to be worth a 3rd and is still young. However Detroit fans seem tired of him mainly due to being a first round pick.

I don't hold where he was drafted against him. I hold plays like the fumble late in the game while in field goal range against Houston against him.

Team Stylish

Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the Lions accepted anything less than a 3rd is a terrible trade.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

I don't hold where he was drafted against him. I hold plays like the fumble late in the game while in field goal range against Houston against him.

And that happens. I don't like it either, but good players have things happen to them at bad times sometimes. Grew has made a lot of plays both ways. I am not a huge fan of Grew, and his drops are annoying, but production wise (including the bad like drops) he is a top 5-7 TE in the league.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough to warrant moving him
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say he's worth atleast a 3rd round pick.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a mid-round pick, a 4th or 5th. He can play every down, so it's not a Scheffler type of situation where he'd be trade because he doesn't fit an offense . . . it's just that he isn't very good. We have an offense that tries to "feature" the TE and he's just not consistent enough to be able to handle the focus he receives. He still probably starts for about half the teams in the league, but he has no upside.

I wouldn't be too opposed to trading him. I don't want him to be re-signed when his contract is up, but he is signed through 2013. If they can get a 4th for him, that's fine by me, but that's not likely to happen unless we can find a replacement for him.

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

And that happens. I don't like it either, but good players have things happen to them at bad times sometimes. Grew has made a lot of plays both ways. I am not a huge fan of Grew, and his drops are annoying, but production wise (including the bad like drops) he is a top 5-7 TE in the league.

He has a lot of production, but Stafford also throws more than anyone in the league, and this offense focuses on the TE a lot. Pettigrew has 97 targets, more than any TE in the league except Jason Witten (122) and Tony Gonzalez (also 97), so of course it stands to reason he's being "productive." You'd be extremely hard-pressed to find a TE that's made less use out of their passing targets than Pettigrew has; his 5.73 yards per target is lower than basically any TE I can find except for Kyle Rudolph, but at least Rudolph has made up for it with 8 receiving TDs. Pettigrew is also the only player in the league with four fumbles, two of which were huge errors that quite likely cost us two wins.

I felt over the last two years that Pettigrew might have been getting better; his drops were down a bit, and while he was still lumbering out there, he wasn't screwing up as badly. He's regressed considerably this year, and at age 27 I don't think it's too likely that his best days are in front of him.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
Not enough to warrant moving him

My thoughts exactly.

Look at it from the other side of the coin... what would YOU trade for him if you were a GM of another team? Take everything into consideration when you're thinking about it. I wouldn't expect more than a 5th round pick in return in a realistic trade offer. Maybe a 4th. But, I really don't see a point in moving him. He's worth more to the Lions than he would be in a trade for a mid round pick that they'd surely screw up using on draft day.
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a 3rd and an additional pick next year. He's still a great in-line blocker. Just has to actually concentrate when the ball comes his way.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Probably a mid-round pick, a 4th or 5th. He can play every down, so it's not a Scheffler type of situation where he'd be trade because he doesn't fit an offense . . . it's just that he isn't very good. We have an offense that tries to "feature" the TE and he's just not consistent enough to be able to handle the focus he receives. He still probably starts for about half the teams in the league, but he has no upside.

I wouldn't be too opposed to trading him. I don't want him to be re-signed when his contract is up, but he is signed through 2013. If they can get a 4th for him, that's fine by me, but that's not likely to happen unless we can find a replacement for him.

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

He has a lot of production, but Stafford also throws more than anyone in the league, and this offense focuses on the TE a lot. Pettigrew has 97 targets, more than any TE in the league except Jason Witten (122) and Tony Gonzalez (also 97), so of course it stands to reason he's being "productive." You'd be extremely hard-pressed to find a TE that's made less use out of their passing targets than Pettigrew has; his 5.73 yards per target is lower than basically any TE I can find except for Kyle Rudolph, but at least Rudolph has made up for it with 8 receiving TDs. Pettigrew is also the only player in the league with four fumbles, two of which were huge errors that quite likely cost us two wins.

I felt over the last two years that Pettigrew might have been getting better; his drops were down a bit, and while he was still lumbering out there, he wasn't screwing up as badly. He's regressed considerably this year, and at age 27 I don't think it's too likely that his best days are in front of him.

I don't see the point in trading Grew because I don't think the Lions will receive sufficient value to replace him.

I hated the pick when Grew was chosen I never perceived him as a first round player and still don't. He was over drafted and that will never change. The expectations and draft position weren't his fault. to this day i still dont understand the hype that surrounded his college career. in any event He is a Detroit Lion and will most likely remain one.

Grew has had his difficulties this year. The four fumbles are disappointing and they are also a surprise given that prior to this year I think he had one fumble in his first three years.

As for the drops he has had a number of them this year. But of the players with the most drops 8 of the top 14 are tight ends and as you pointed out he has been targeted more than most other tight ends. It should also be pointed out that even CJ has a bunch of drops this year. CJ and Grew are tied for third in dropped passes with eight each.

I have grown to accept Grew and his limitations. Throughout college he was known as a blocking TE not a receiving TE. The catches he did make were simply icing on his contribution to the Cowboys.

I think when we look at Grews contributions and his perceived short comings we need to try and be as objective as possible. That doesn't mean I think we should make excuses for him rather simply keep an open mind to his ability and circumstances.

So lets try to look at some of the factors. You had previously mentioned Witten and Gonzalez. Well, Tony Romo has a 67.1 completion percentage while Matt Ryan's completion percentage is 67.5. Meanwhile Stafford's completion percentage is 60.5 good for 21st in the league.

We have all discussed Stafford's accuracy issues this year and Grews targets are really irrelevant with eight drops.

Just for fun I looked at CJ's numbers for comparison purposes.

CJ has caught 86 of 144 targets so he has caught 60% of the passes. CJ has 8 drops.

Pettigrew has caught 57 of 97 targets so he has caught 59% of the passes. He also has eight drops.

It should also be pointed out that CJ has 11 career fumbles and Pettigrew has 5.

The other aspect that I think needs to be looked at is where Brandon does his work. Predominantly Grew works 5-8 yards over the middle. Once the ball is caught the majority of the time he gets hit either simultaneously or immediately after the catch. As I mentioned in another thread, its difficult to concentrate when you know your going to get drilled. Many times the reflex is to move before the ball has arrived. A number of the TE's that have better performance numbers than Pettigrew are used in a different manner. They are used far more like a WR.

So those are my thoughts.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
tytalton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were a GM on another team would you trade a 3rd rounder for Pettigrew? GM's value those picks and Pettigrew is far from a finished product or consistent producer.

I think the answer to that question would be heck no to the vast majority. There may be someone that would take him but he has limitations and you better believe other GM's are going to look at him with a much more critical eye than lion fans and front office who have been pulling for the guy these last few years. I don't think he has much, if any, trade value unless it is player for player like Alphonso/Gronkowski....

If I was going to trade for him I'd give you a low 4th/high 5th, or a player like Martellus Bennet or Chris Carr...not a good return so it would probably be better to keep him and hope he turns it around.
ahoda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading him would create another hole on the roster. No reason to move him at all.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
Trading him would create another hole on the roster. No reason to move him at all.

What hole? We have a TE that's a better blocker on the roster, and a better receiving TE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: