You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wes Welker Circa 2012.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't respond to that whole thing right now, I've got an exam in a couple minutes, but let me rephrase

He's the first guy to change the way people look at slot receivers. He's the best slot receiver we've seen thus far. Obviously other guys have played primarily out of the slot but you don't hear teams talk about wanting to find their Ricky Proehl. Teams want to find the newest Wes Welker.

ELRammy
Raidin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
Welker is the only player with three 110+ catch seasons. He did the three consecutively, blew out his knee, was expected to miss half the season, came back started game 1 and had 86 receptions. The next year he had 122. This year he's projected to have 123.

Had he not blown his knee out, and if he even slows down this years production, he would have had 6 consecutive seasons of 110+ catches. Again, no one has had even three non-consecutive. Not Jerry Rice, not Marvin Harrison.

To say Welker is a system player is absurd. No one comes even close to the level of production that he puts up year in and year out. Lets not forget that when Brady went out he still had 111 catches for 1165 yards. He would be successful anywhere and with anyone.

If Rice had #3 corner backs covering them they would have put up far more receptions than 110.
RedskinOP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Fame? Not a chance.

Hall of very good? Sure.

- Clinton Portis WILL be in the Hall of Fame -
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next 5 years? Is everyone sure he is going to be on the Patriots in the next 5 years?
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
I can't respond to that whole thing right now, I've got an exam in a couple minutes, but let me rephrase

He's the first guy to change the way people look at slot receivers. He's the best slot receiver we've seen thus far. Obviously other guys have played primarily out of the slot but you don't hear teams talk about wanting to find their Ricky Proehl. Teams want to find the newest Wes Welker.

Him being the "prototype" and the standard all other slot Wr's are compared to really helps his chances, there's no doubt about that.

He's just up against the wall time-wise. If he can go 4-5 years, he'll probably get in. He'd be top 5 all time in receptions, one of the most well known players on one of the league's winningest teams, and that winning team happens to be a big-ticket franchise for the league.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:
Welker is the only player with three 110+ catch seasons. He did the three consecutively, blew out his knee, was expected to miss half the season, came back started game 1 and had 86 receptions. The next year he had 122. This year he's projected to have 123.

Had he not blown his knee out, and if he even slows down this years production, he would have had 6 consecutive seasons of 110+ catches. Again, no one has had even three non-consecutive. Not Jerry Rice, not Marvin Harrison.

To say Welker is a system player is absurd. No one comes even close to the level of production that he puts up year in and year out. Lets not forget that when Brady went out he still had 111 catches for 1165 yards. He would be successful anywhere and with anyone.

If Rice had #3 corner backs covering them they would have put up far more receptions than 110.

That'd be relevant if that happened to welker.

Welker is matched up against revis almost exclusively when we play the jets. Against the Seahawks, bower/Sherman were on him almost the entire game. Welker sometimes get matchups against #3 guys but that's true for every wr ever

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
Fact is, Welker is getting All-Pro nods.

For guys outside of special teams, once you get into the region of 5+ All-Pros, the chance of Hall of Fame induction is high.

He's got 4 All-Pros, two of them 1st Team.

That's key. Winning two Super Bowls would have gone a long way too, but we'll keep away from that discussion.

His playoff numbers are decent to add to all of that.

Yup. He's going to he at least a 7X all pro IMO and lead the league in catches a few more times. Aside from Rice and Harrison who would have more all pro selections at the WR position? Dude has 4 on his way to 5 right now
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:
x0x wrote:
Fact is, Welker is getting All-Pro nods.

For guys outside of special teams, once you get into the region of 5+ All-Pros, the chance of Hall of Fame induction is high.

He's got 4 All-Pros, two of them 1st Team.

That's key. Winning two Super Bowls would have gone a long way too, but we'll keep away from that discussion.

His playoff numbers are decent to add to all of that.

Yup. He's going to he at least a 7X all pro IMO and lead the league in catches a few more times. Aside from Rice and Harrison who would have more all pro selections at the WR position? Dude has 4 on his way to 5 right now

Andre Johnson. Larry Fitzgeral if ever gets QB.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
tonyto3690 wrote:

What is this? I don't even.

Wes Welker is the Pats #1 WR, regardless of if he's 5'9" or 6'5" like Calvin or where he lines up. The #1 WR is the first option of the QB on passing plays, and that is usually Welker.

Welker produces like any elite WR in the NFL, but because he's small, because he's white and because he doesn't run a 4.5 or less, he's considered a system player.

Has Brady helped his career? Undoubtedly, but it's not WW's fault that that Pats surround him with a QB who can get him the ball.

Can't stand the 'Not a #1 WR' or the 'System' or the 'Elite Slot WR only' arguments. Wes produces like the elite WR's, has done for as long as the elite WR's and is never considered an elite WR. Madness.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, the West Coast offense was considered quite the "system" when it helped Jerry Rice ascend the ranks as one of the top receivers of all time.

Yes, I know that the argument sounds stupid, but it's the same thing people are saying about Welker and, to be frank, it's silly. Other teams (Chiefs, Browns) have tried to utilize the Patriots' offense and they haven't been able to do it. It takes intelligence, precision, communication, and amazing routerunning. The system Welker plays in shouldn't be held against him, as the WCO wasn't held against Rice.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of his catches come 5 yards off the LOS. Put a guy like Percy Harvin in his role and he's putting up better numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes Welker still has yet to produce a double digit receiving TD season. Through all of those receptions never has he produced 10 receiving TDs in a season.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
Wes Welker still has yet to produce a double digit receiving TD season. Through all of those receptions never has he produced 10 receiving TDs in a season.

Can you point to a guy Welkers size who has ever produced 10+ touchdowns at the WR position?

I'm not saying there aren't any, but I can't think of any. Steve Smith, once. And he has far better deep speed than Welker. Tactically, smaller guys are less used in the Redzone.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Welker is a great WR. But if he didn't play for the Pat's he wouldn't have those kind of numbers. He gets way more receptions than everybody else. And yes that's because he get's open but it's also because he has the best QB to play the game and an excellent coach.

I think way down the road he might a shot at the HOF. But when you have guys like Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitgerald or Steve Smith who have been the #1 guys the majority of their careers, and who have put up with dog crap at QB for the majority of their primes and still produced top flight numbers; I just don't see how it would be fair to put Welker in before them when there were WR's clearly better and more talented.

That's not to say that Welker didn't redefine the slot WR because in a lot of aspects I think he has. It's just a tough decision I think.
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
PowerElite wrote:

Can you point to a guy Welkers size who has ever produced 10+ touchdowns at the WR position?

I'm not saying there aren't any, but I can't think of any. Steve Smith, once. And he has far better deep speed than Welker. Tactically, smaller guys are less used in the Redzone.

Greg Jennings is 5'11" has had two 12 touchdown seasons. Santana Moss is 5'10" and has one 10 touchdown season. Lance Moore is 5'9" and has had 1 touchdown season. There's a bunch a guys listed at exactly 6'0" who have done it (like Hines Ward), but I tried to keep it below 6'0".

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: