Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PFT: Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Good idea to replace kickoffs with 4th and 15?
Yes
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 87

stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
If this is really about injuries, especially head injuries on kick offs, why isn't it manditory to wear a Revo Speed? If the NFL is really that worried about head injuries why isn't the latest and greatest helmet standard for every player? Plus with how the kickoff is set up now, most kickoffs are touchbacks anyways.

it is peculiar that the NFL leaves it up to the players and most don't wear the safer helmets until after they get a concussion.
Couldn't think of anything funny, thought provoking, inspiring or a cool idea for a photo with text. Didn't want to tell you who my favorite teams are in sports because I doubt you care. And there aren't enough Colts fans for Adopt-a-Colt
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shouldn't do anything. This is a game that people play by choice and get compensated incredibly well to play. The kickoff is an instrumental part of the game and serves as a strategic advantage for teams who choose to emphasize their special teams units. This would essentially render that moot. The whole 4th and 15 nonsense might be the worst idea I've heard in awhile. That's not even football anymore, it's just stupid backyard nonsense that's better served elsewhere.

I get Goodell is trying to make the game safer, but the game is inherently dangerous. These guys get paid well, just as people in other dangerous industries get compensates well, because they take on those risks. You can't make the game completely safe....you can't make anything COMPLETELY safe. If this ever passes I would really be disappointed.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
This is horrendous.

Please don't do this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
As the article says, the idea is to get rid of high speed collisions which I don't disagree with. I think this isn't the greatest idea but I'm sure the competition committee can probably brainstorm tweeks to this to make it more reasonable.

What made me laugh was how it said that, but the replacement for the high speed collisions on kickoffs for the most part would be high speed collisions on punts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way it's going to work is if the Refs stop impulsively throwing flags. How many 4th and 15's do we already see converted from BS flags?

They will have to make an exception on penalties for these "kick offs". Make it to where no penalty can result in a 1st down except for the worst ones. If a penalty occurs it can only be assessed and the down replayed.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one horrible idea!

How much does he get paid again?

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd quit life.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't hate this idea. Would be interesting... never really found kickoffs a very important part of the game. Replacing it with a punt wouldn't change much... it would still be refered to as a "kickoff", that's technically a 4th and 15.

Plus, it eliminates one of the most dangerous parts of the game... its not such a crazy idea, I feel. It would also make end of close games more exciting... a 4th and long is more exciting than an onside kick attempt that never works.

Nacho Simulation Football League
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Simple question. Why???? Quite possibly the single dumbest idea I have ever heard.

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone in agreement that a punt is safer then a kickoff? Maybe for the other players but having been on the wrong side of a punt return once or twice I don't think it's any safer for the returner.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
snkhd09

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at the goodell hate even though it is schiano's proposal (keep in mind he saw his own player paralyzed by it) and goodell was quoted as saying it's an "off the wall idea". Goodell is only discussing it with McKay right now, I don't even think he's pushing for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I actually don't hate this idea. Would be interesting... never really found kickoffs a very important part of the game. Replacing it with a punt wouldn't change much... it would still be refered to as a "kickoff", that's technically a 4th and 15.

Plus, it eliminates one of the most dangerous parts of the game... its not such a crazy idea, I feel. It would also make end of close games more exciting... a 4th and long is more exciting than an onside kick attempt that never works.

Having WRs going across the middle is also a dangerous part of the game. Is that the next thing that needs to be changed as well? There's nothing wrong about tweaking certain parts of the game but this is a needless drastic change that is pointless to be even thought about. Plus to say that onside kicks never work is obviously a little exagerated. I would like to see them allow every player be lined up on one side of the field, like it use to be, to make it more exciting as their would be every single player on the field battling for a loose ball.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
macklemore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Simple question. Why???? Quite possibly the single dumbest idea I have ever heard.

1. too many injuries on kickoffs.
2. less injuries on punts.
3. how often do onside kicks work? this gives the team a better chance of getting the ball back late in the game, making football more exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, put this in the pile of bad ideas. This should never see the light of day.
milesles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

1. too many injuries on kickoffs.
2. less injuries on punts.
3. how often do onside kicks work? this gives the team a better chance of getting the ball back late in the game, making football more exciting.

Why not just do away with kickers and punters?

Have the QB or someone with an arm throw the ball as far as they can instead of kickoffs, punts and field goals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: