Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Tyron Smith.... an Elite LT in the NFL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Is Tyron Smith.... an Elite LT in the NFL? Reply with quote

There is a comparisons thread for top 5 LTs in the NFL for 2012. Of course Tyron Smith is getting no love, and I agreed. .........At first...... then I started doing a little research. Yeah he plays on a terrible line with no push in the running game. Now, being able to run the ball behind your LT is important, don't get me wrong, but the LTs main job is to keep the QB upright. Not to get push in the run game. And I know... He also has a lot of penalties. Russell Okung has more, though, and he is getting plenty of love in the top 5 LTs thread. Yes I am aware that the IQ level in the NFL general, NFL Comparison etc... forums is usually low. I would say that top 5 at your position is elite. Top 10 at your respective position and you can be labeled one of the best in the league.

So is Tyron Smith elite? One of the best in the league, but not elite? Or neither?

Sacks allowed by LTs in 2012

Duane Brown LT Texans - 1
Ryan Clady LT Broncos - 1
Russell Okung LT Seahawks - 1
Brandon Albert LT Cheifs - 1
Jeff Backus LT Lions - 1.5
Will Beatty LT Giants - 2.0
Joe Thomas LT Browns - 2.5
Tyron Smith LT Cowboys - 2.5
Nate Solder LT Patriots - 2.5
Cordy Glenn LT Bills - 2.5
Sam Baker LT Falcons - 3.0
Eugene Monroe LT Jaguars - 3.0
Donald Penn LT Bucs - 3.5
Jermon Bushrod LT Saints - 3.5
Andrew Whitworth LT Bengals - 4.0
Trent Williams LT Redskins - 4.0
Jared Veldheer LT Raiders - 4.0
Matt Kalil LT Vikings - 4.5
King Dunlap LT Eagles - 5.0
Jordan Gross LT Panthers - 5.5
Joe Staley LT 49ers - 6.0
Jake Long LT Dolphins - 7.0
Mike Harris LT Chargers - 7.0
Michael Oher LT Ravens - 7.0
Marshall Newhouse LT Packers - 7.5
Anthony Castonzo LT Colts - 8.5

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my rankings by the way:

Best LT in the NFL for 2012

#1. Ryan Clady
#2. Duane Brown
#3. Joe Thomas
#4. Nate Solder
#5. Sam Baker
#6. Brandon Albert
#7. Russell Okung
#8. Tyron Smith
#9. Eugene Monroe
#10. Donald Penn

EDIT: Okay for sure this time

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty is not ELITE, yet.. he is only in his second season in the league and his first playing left tackle. plus he is only 20 or 21... he has plenty of time to be Elite and I think he will certainly move into that category very soon and stay there for the better part of a decade, baring injury.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Ty is not ELITE, yet.. he is only in his second season in the league and his first playing left tackle. plus he is only 20 or 21... he has plenty of time to be Elite and I think he will certainly move into that category very soon and stay there for the better part of a decade, baring injury.

Do you think Nate Solder LT for the Patriots is elite? He too is in his 2nd year.... Or is his play a byproduct of Brady?

Just curious....

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks allowed is an iffy stat, he allowed like 8 last year but he gave up very little other pressure, whereas this year he's given up a lot more pressure. Giving up half a sack also makes no sense- you get bonus points because another lineman got beat as well? No, you got beat. Plus he's missed a game and a half.

Definitely not elite, maybe just maybe Top 10- not gonna pretend to know how good every other left tackle in the NFL is. I do fully expect him to be elite in the near future, but he's not there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Sacks allowed is an iffy stat, he allowed like 8 last year but he gave up very little other pressure, whereas this year he's given up a lot more pressure. Giving up half a sack also makes no sense- you get bonus points because another lineman got beat as well? No, you got beat. Plus he's missed a game and a half.

Definitely not elite, maybe just maybe Top 10- not gonna pretend to know how good every other left tackle in the NFL is. I do fully expect him to be elite in the near future, but he's not there yet.

I agree that sacks allowed is not the end-all-be-all, but I think it is a good starting point. When you consider that most of the tackles people consider to be elite make up the top of the list. I also think holding calls should be a consideration because that USUALLY means you got beat and it would have been a sack. Smith has only 2 holding calls. Just for some comparison, Joe Thomas has given up the same amount of sacks and has 3 holding calls.

EDIT: Also Brandon Albert is considered one of the best by some and he has only started 10 games this year.

Matts4313 wrote:

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

I agree that sacks allowed is not the end-all-be-all, but I think it is a good starting point. When you consider that most of the tackles people consider to be elite make up the top of the list. I also think holding calls should be a consideration because that USUALLY means you got beat and it would have been a sack. Smith has only 2 holding calls. Just for some comparison, Joe Thomas has given up the same amount of sacks and has 3 holding calls.

EDIT: Also Brandon Albert is considered one of the best by some and he has only started 10 games this year.

So smith got away with more holds than joe thomas. the refs miss holds all the time. Its hard to use that against the players. False starts is another way to judge them and i dont think we would be very impressed with smith in that aspect.
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
mco65 wrote:

Do you think Nate Solder LT for the Patriots is elite? He too is in his 2nd year.... Or is his play a byproduct of Brady?

Just curious....

To be honest. I never noticed Nate Solder and would not have known who he was had you not told me he was the LT for the Patriots... Sad I pay little attention to other teams, who has the time to do that?? not me. I love football but when the Cowboys are not playing, I am on the REDZONE channel.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care more about the entire offensive line as a unit playing well than worrying about whether an individual player is elite. For instance, I'd much prefer 5 above average players on the o-line as opposed to 1 elite guy, one average guy, and three sub-par players. I would argue that if we had four other players on the o-line who could play reasonably well, Tyron Smith's play would get better by default. There's a synergy with offensive and defensive lines that is very difficult to measure.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he is elite, no. I don't think he is in the conversation, either.

He has really high potential, but is still going through learning curves. He's been taken to task by some of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. His run-blocking is great at times, and whiffs at times. And a lot of it has to do with the influx of the line. There has been a mess created, and he just switched sides again. Give it time.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
mco65

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I care more about the entire offensive line as a unit playing well than worrying about whether an individual player is elite. For instance, I'd much prefer 5 above average players on the o-line as opposed to 1 elite guy, one average guy, and three sub-par players. I would argue that if we had four other players on the o-line who could play reasonably well, Tyron Smith's play would get better by default. There's a synergy with offensive and defensive lines that is very difficult to measure.

As Doug Free has demonstrated this year, just 1 sub par guy on the offensive line can make the other side of the line play moot especially on passing plays.. ARGH!
Tony7188

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

As Doug Free has demonstrated this year, just 1 sub par guy on the offensive line can make the other side of the line play moot especially on passing plays.. ARGH!

I still think we need a center above all else. Then a RT after

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
mco65 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

I still think we need a center above all else. Then a RT after

Why do you think Bernadeau will play better in the future then Costa? In Costa's limited time on the field, he has showen much improvement. He showed that he really has worked his but off this off season because he finally got the chance to start, and he showed that he isnt willing to just give it away again.

- Bernadeau, has just showed that he is a bum. And after 5 years in the league, I doubt that there can be much hope for improvement. With a really strong OG class comming up, I want us to draft a guard early since I see that as our biggest weakness.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Tyron, no. He isn't elite. But he defintly has the potential and the work ethic, and everything he has showen so far in the NFL points to him becomming elite somewhere in the near future.

- We have to remember, this guy is only in his 2nd year and he is also just 21 years old. That is younger then most 1st years players.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this whole 'Elite' label is pointless. It's so subjective. It's like the MVP debate, or the Emmitt/Barry debate. Scene from 'Thank you for smoking' between father Nick(tobacco lobbyist) and son Joey.

Joey Naylor: ...so what happens when you're wrong?
Nick Naylor: Whoa, Joey I'm never wrong.
Joey Naylor: But you can't always be right...
Nick Naylor: Well, if it's your job to be right, then you're never wrong.
Joey Naylor: But what if you are wrong?
Nick Naylor: OK, let's say that you're defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now if I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavour ice-cream', you'd say...
Joey Naylor: No, chocolate is.
Nick Naylor: Exactly, but you can't win that argument... so, I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all and the all of ice-cream, do you?
Joey Naylor: It's the best ice-cream, I wouldn't order any other.
Nick Naylor: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?
Joey Naylor: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
Nick Naylor: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom. And choice when it comes to our ice-cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the defintion of liberty.
Joey Naylor: But that's not what we're talking about
Nick Naylor: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.
Joey Naylor: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best...
Nick Naylor: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right.
Joey Naylor: But you still didn't convince me
Nick Naylor: It's that I'm not after you. I'm after them.
[points into the crowd]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: