Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Veteran QB addition this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you like to see brought in this offseason?
Jason Campbell (age 30)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Matt Flynn (age 27)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Chad Henne (age 27)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brady Quinn (age 28)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Matt Leinart (age 29)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Michael Vick (age 32)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Mallett (age 24)
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Alex Smith (age 28)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Other (please specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

perrynoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprises so far: I expected Vick and Henne to have more votes. The support for Mallett and Smith surprises me a little. It should be an interesting off-season!
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Smith and here is why. As long as we have AD then we are a run driven team. With that said we only need a QB as a manager of the team who can make teams pay when they blitz or have 8 men in the box. Smith has proven that he can do this.

In a way AD is holding the Vikes back to really becomming a QB driven team and that is not a bad thing it is just the way the Vikes are built. I still beleive in Ponder and willing to give him the first half of 2013 to prove his worth. We still need a veteran QB just in case plan A does not work out. Who knows maybe Smith would come in and beat Ponder out, I will admit that Ponder does need to be pushed.
perrynoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could also have a "poll within a poll" so to speak: of the above listed QB's, rank them according to how likely (and perhaps why) they are to become free agents this upcoming offseason (most likely to least likely).

My rankings: Flynn (high cap number), Vick (age, injury concerns, high cap number), Smith (high cap number), Campbell (age, not that good), Leinart (age, not that good), Quinn (age, not that good), Tebow (to much accompanying drama), Henne, Mallett.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring some of these guys in for tryouts if they are available, even if the organization decides to go with Ponder next season. It would be nice to have a veteran back-up at the very least who could step in and win games for us in the event of injury/inadequate performance.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
It's interesting how many votes Mallett and Tebow both have. Mallett could be described as the "Anti-Tebow". He can make any throw on the field, but can't run with the ball to save his life, and has a questionable character.

Well, I can see you voted 5 times so far...ha ha.

No need, my friend. Instead, it looks like the Tebow bandwagon is picking up steam!!

I wouldn't worry about any accompanying "drama" as long as we are winning and/or going in the right direction. We had drama when Favre came in too, but that turned out pretty well for us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
perrynoid wrote:
Uncle Buck wrote:
It's interesting how many votes Mallett and Tebow both have. Mallett could be described as the "Anti-Tebow". He can make any throw on the field, but can't run with the ball to save his life, and has a questionable character.

Well, I can see you voted 5 times so far...ha ha.

No need, my friend. Instead, it looks like the Tebow bandwagon is picking up steam!!

I wouldn't worry about any accompanying "drama" as long as we are winning and/or going in the right direction. We had drama when Favre came in too, but that turned out pretty well for us.

No team is trading for Tebow as their starting quarterback unless Josh McDaniels is suddenly hired as a GM. A team may trade for him to sell tickets, but no GM is going to tie himself to Tim Tebow "Full Time Quarterback ". I guarantee you that no Coach/GM tandem would be in agreement on it.
BBIB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Surprises so far: I expected Vick and Henne to have more votes. The support for Mallett and Smith surprises me a little. It should be an interesting off-season!

Well there's this notion that Vick is too old. I've heard it repeated often but what many people who assert this haven't taken into account is that Vick with two lost steps is still basically faster than any QB we've ever seen not named RGIII.

For instance if Vick with two lost steps is a 4.5 flat guy instead of 4.33, that's still the wheels at 34 and 35 of a Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson at 25. Not to mention a stronger arm. So basically Vick at 35 is more physically gifted than any other dual threat guy out there.

I think when people see the Eagles without Vick more down the stretch they will realize the added value he actually brings to a team

He doesn't hold a team back like Christian Ponder

Vick's teams win because of him not in spite of him hence the 3-12 record without him in Atlanta and an Eagles team that will be the exact same 3-12 without him if they lose their remaining 4 games which is very possible
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vick is always battling injuries, i dont care if his speed is declining that is an insignificant trait for me when judging QBs. Vick's body is aging and that is evident by his inability to stay on the field.

Vick is useless to this team watching from the sidelines.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:

Last two seasons:

Vick: 59%, 29 TDs, 23 INTs (Record: 10-12)
Ponder: 59%, 27 TDs, 24 INTs (Record: 8-14)
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
BBIB wrote:

Last two seasons:

To add, Ponder the past two years has played on a team that everyone considered to be rebuilding. Ponder is/was on very young teams the past two years.

Vick was on a team that most considered to be good enough to compete for the playoffs. Vick is on veteran teams the past two years. Vick shoud be doing more, but his injuries really have held back what he can do.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Klomp wrote:
BBIB wrote:

Last two seasons:

To add, Ponder the past two years has played on a team that everyone considered to be rebuilding. Ponder is/was on very young teams the past two years.

Vick was on a team that most considered to be good enough to compete for the playoffs. Vick is on veteran teams the past two years. Vick shoud be doing more, but his injuries really have held back what he can do.

Stats and everything aside Vick still gives us the better chance to win at QB right now. Even though I can admit he has had a bad couple of years, but I will still take those years over Ponder. Even though right now I would rather get flynn if I had the choice (It would be tebow if we had the coaching staff and the right type of team but we don't. Staff is to sold on Ponder and I'm not sure if they would even want tebow.) Don't know where Mallet and Smith is coming from though.
Nozizaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd leave this here. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8718263/market-michael-vick-tackles

ESPN wrote:
No disrespect to Christian Ponder, but Minnesota needs a viable starting quarterback who can effectively manage a game, not turn the ball over and do enough with the passing game to keep defenses honest.

A player matching that description probably will be available in the offseason, and the Vikings would be wise to make a run at Alex Smith.

Although, to be fair, earlier in the article they said Minnesota shouldn't judge Ponder on just 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider any of the options here actually viable other than Flynn and Smith. In order to realistically compete for the superbowl you need a franchise type QB and none of the older guys on this list will be that guy.

I really cannot fathom why anyone actually wants Tebow on our team? Not only is he a terrible QB but he brings huge distractions to the team. Didn't y'all get enough of that with Favre?

Flynn would be ok if he doesn't cost too much, but really he's unlikely to develop into a franchise type guy. He might be pretty good but he won't take us to the superbowl.

Smith is unlikely to do that as well but less unlikely, IMO, than Flynn. I'd go get Smith this offseason and draft another young kid to develop.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilNuff wrote:
I really cannot fathom why anyone actually wants Tebow on our team? Not only is he a terrible QB but he brings huge distractions to the team. Didn't y'all get enough of that with Favre?

Tebow was good enough to lead his team to the playoffs and win a playoff game last year. I don't know why there would be any "distractions". There is a difference between publicity and distraction. I don't think I've ever heard of Tebow being a distraction.

As far as getting enough of that with Favre, we also got wins with Favre, and no, I haven't gotten enough of that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well played Uncle Buck.

I like Tim Tebow, and while he ain't much of a QB, he's just a gamer, and if thats ALL he does is win, well I'm okay with that. Wink

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about throwing a 3rd round pick at Washington for Kirk Cousins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: