Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Veteran QB addition this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you like to see brought in this offseason?
Jason Campbell (age 30)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Matt Flynn (age 27)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Chad Henne (age 27)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brady Quinn (age 28)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Matt Leinart (age 29)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Michael Vick (age 32)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Mallett (age 24)
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Alex Smith (age 28)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Other (please specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:

On another note, when the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning and got rid of Tim Tebow, I predicted that they would not get any further with Manning leading their team than they did with Tebow. What happened? Tebow won a playoff game for them - in his first year as a starter, and only his second year in the league. Manning? One and DONE!!!!

Manning got them to a first round bye, and double OT in the Divisional round. Tebow? Not so much. A 45-10 loss in the same round.
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give Ponder a hard time--and he deserves most of it--but the Vikings passing game problems are probably as much about philosophy as personnel. The fact that we're always on the lookout for a "game manager" proves that we don't place enough importance on the most important position on the team.

If this were the early 90s, our offensive philosophy and having the league's best RB might mean a shot at a Super Bowl win. But look at the past 10 or more champs and you'll see that SB winners are pretty much the high scoring, hot passing teams. Maybe if our defense were outstanding we could ride this offense to a championship, but it isn't.

When are we going to wake up and try to join the modern NFL? Well, I guess the modern NFL would be more of a dual threat QB, so we've got two trends to catch up to now. Rolling Eyes

But back to the veteran addition thing. At least we have to have a capable backup to Ponder if he gets hurt again. Do we want a rookie to back him up or a veteran? I think we all realize that Spielman isn't going to bring in anyone who has a realistic shot at beating out Ponder. My theory on releasing Sage was that it was more that he might beat out Ponder than his not being able to beat out the other two guys (Webb and whatshisface). Take that for what it's worth I guess.
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
I give Ponder a hard time--and he deserves most of it--but the Vikings passing game problems are probably as much about philosophy as personnel. The fact that we're always on the lookout for a "game manager" proves that we don't place enough importance on the most important position on the team.

If this were the early 90s, our offensive philosophy and having the league's best RB might mean a shot at a Super Bowl win. But look at the past 10 or more champs and you'll see that SB winners are pretty much the high scoring, hot passing teams. Maybe if our defense were outstanding we could ride this offense to a championship, but it isn't.

When are we going to wake up and try to join the modern NFL? Well, I guess the modern NFL would be more of a dual threat QB, so we've got two trends to catch up to now. Rolling Eyes

But back to the veteran addition thing. At least we have to have a capable backup to Ponder if he gets hurt again. Do we want a rookie to back him up or a veteran? I think we all realize that Spielman isn't going to bring in anyone who has a realistic shot at beating out Ponder. My theory on releasing Sage was that it was more that he might beat out Ponder than his not being able to beat out the other two guys (Webb and whatshisface). Take that for what it's worth I guess.

I think it had more to do with management and the coaches saying one thing and thinking the other. They did not see the team making the playoffs. There is no way that they would take Webb or Thompson starting in a playoff game over Rosenfels.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we just got rid of Sage due to the "Yute Movement"...

We got rid of an aging Sage Rosenfels who has done very little in this league for a "no name" developmental guy in McLeod Bethel Thompson.

wait, whats a Yute?

Wink

down but not out. I still believe!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
wait, whats a Yute?

Wink

follow the link in the first post.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I think we just got rid of Sage due to the "Yute Movement"...

We got rid of an aging Sage Rosenfels who has done very little in this league for a "no name" developmental guy in McLeod Bethel Thompson.

wait, whats a Yute?

Wink

But can we call them "developmental" when they never develop? Our starter is barely developing, let alone the backups.

And who was the last QB we developed anyway? I'm not being a wisenheimer, I really want to know.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 3rd-stringer, low-level draft pick or UDFA? Brad Johnson?

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: