Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Veteran QB addition this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you like to see brought in this offseason?
Jason Campbell (age 30)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Matt Flynn (age 27)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Chad Henne (age 27)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brady Quinn (age 28)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Matt Leinart (age 29)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Michael Vick (age 32)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Mallett (age 24)
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Alex Smith (age 28)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Other (please specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I would like to see Alex Smith brought in, or trade for Ryan Mallett.

No thanks to any of the options listed though.

Exactamundo. I would rather have Mallett than any of them. I doubt he would ever underthrow anyone. And he's been able to pick Tom Brady's brain, see how Bill Belichick does things, and play for a team that never thinks it will lose. Worth every bit of a 2nd round pick imo.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
I would rather have Mallett than any of them. I doubt he would ever underthrow anyone. And he's been able to pick Tom Brady's brain, see how Bill Belichick does things, and play for a team that never thinks it will lose. Worth every bit of a 2nd round pick imo.

that's what i thought/hoped too. until i asked NE forum members their opinions of Mallett and they used terms like "garbage" and "poor decision making" to describe his skill set.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to to just roll with Ponder. Last I checked that "veteran " option did us no good last year. I'd support a veteran coming in only as a backup. Stick with Ponder that way after next year we'll have a solid answer on Ponder and we can keep going on with him or move on depending on how he plays. If we were to bring in a vet back up, I'd say Jason Campbell.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Ryan Mallet is the only one on this list that remotely interests me.

I'm going to FIFY with the following:

Alex Smith is the only one on this list that remotely interests me. Smith of the last 2 years is the style of QB that the Vikings need Ponder to be. While Smith isn't going to light anyone up, he's a solid QB with his decision-making. He distributes the ball efficiently and rarely turns the ball over.

None of the others fit the style of play that the Vikings are looking for in a QB, except maybe for Flynn (but who knows, he hasn't played a lot). Mallett is as far from what the Vikings are looking for in a QB as Donald Trump is to being an introverted and analytical person.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instant Packer Fan - Just Add Tebow.
4evera9er

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding Tebow would kill Ponder almost as quickly as it killed Sanchez. It's not fair on any starter who is part of a rebuilding team.

Had you guys not acquired Ponder and not liked any QB's in this draft though I'd say the Tebow move has some potential. Look at SF and Washington, sure Kaep and RG3 can throw better but they are still running unconventional offenses.

Most coaches know that it's potential suicide to go that direction though.

If anyone had the balls to do it I think it would be very doable though. You don't need to spend high draft picks on offense for Tebow. You take receivers in later rounds that aren't huge yardage guys, but guys who can block like beasts and play an unconventional game. This allows you to invest in a monster defense. And anyone who doesn't think that you couldn't run a mean option play with Tebow, Harvin and 28 is dreaming.

As I said though, it would be career suicide for a coach to do it unless a GM/owner allowed them several seasons to see if it could take off.
Bodysuit Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Ryan Mallet is the only one on this list that remotely interests me.

I'm going to FIFY with the following:

Alex Smith is the only one on this list that remotely interests me. Smith of the last 2 years is the style of QB that the Vikings need Ponder to be. While Smith isn't going to light anyone up, he's a solid QB with his decision-making. He distributes the ball efficiently and rarely turns the ball over.

None of the others fit the style of play that the Vikings are looking for in a QB, except maybe for Flynn (but who knows, he hasn't played a lot). Mallett is as far from what the Vikings are looking for in a QB as Donald Trump is to being an introverted and analytical person.

Maybe as long as we're looking for another QB, we could look for another style of play as well. You're right, Chilly and Frazier seem to be stuck on this "game manager" QB style. But what's wrong with having a guy with a gun on him? The most success we've seen in the Chilly/Frazier era was when gunslinger Favre came to town. But instead of trying to duplicate what worked, we went back to what didn't.

In a passing league, I feel like we're hanging on to an antiquated idea of QB play. We're trying to find guys who are more like backups rather than guys who can take the team on their backs. I don't get that.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
Maybe as long as we're looking for another QB, we could look for another style of play as well. You're right, Chilly and Frazier seem to be stuck on this "game manager" QB style. But what's wrong with having a guy with a gun on him? The most success we've seen in the Chilly/Frazier era was when gunslinger Favre came to town. But instead of trying to duplicate what worked, we went back to what didn't.

In a passing league, I feel like we're hanging on to an antiquated idea of QB play. We're trying to find guys who are more like backups rather than guys who can take the team on their backs. I don't get that.

When you have the best RB in the game, you have to give him the ball. But if you have an Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, you're much more likely to abandon the run, thus alienating your superstar player.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why we got rid of Rosenfels for Webb, Bethel-Thompson, I will never know. Rosenfels would have been a solid backup and someone for Ponder to lean upon.

Unconventional but why not David Carr or Mark Brunell for a season? We could use a very seasoned vet to simply keep Ponder's head on straight.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting how many votes Mallett and Tebow both have. Mallett could be described as the "Anti-Tebow". He can make any throw on the field, but can't run with the ball to save his life, and has a questionable character.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodysuit Man wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
I would like to see Alex Smith brought in, or trade for Ryan Mallett.

No thanks to any of the options listed though.

Exactamundo. I would rather have Mallett than any of them. I doubt he would ever underthrow anyone. And he's been able to pick Tom Brady's brain, see how Bill Belichick does things, and play for a team that never thinks it will lose. Worth every bit of a 2nd round pick imo.

Matt Kasell (sp?) brought all those benefits to the Chiefs too.

Elisha Cuthbert - Yet another hottie who loves wearing purple and white. Very Happy Go Vikings!

Big props to gopherwrestler for this awesome sig!
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With AJ Smith and Turner getting the ax I would be fun to think about Trading for Phillip Rivers. 0 chance it happens, but anything is possible.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
With AJ Smith and Turner getting the ax I would be fun to think about Trading for Phillip Rivers. 0 chance it happens, but anything is possible.

Rivers hasn't been good this year and there are reports that his arm strength has been going down the last few years. He's been responsible for 26 turnovers this year and only 18 TD's.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

Rivers hasn't been good this year and there are reports that his arm strength has been going down the last few years. He's been responsible for 26 turnovers this year and only 18 TD's.

Well they wouldn't move him if he was playing stellar. I think if there was ever a year he could be had it would be this one. It's also not like he would have to throw a ton with AP.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
perrynoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
It's interesting how many votes Mallett and Tebow both have. Mallett could be described as the "Anti-Tebow". He can make any throw on the field, but can't run with the ball to save his life, and has a questionable character.

Well, I can see you voted 5 times so far...ha ha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: