Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Veteran QB addition this off-season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you like to see brought in this offseason?
Jason Campbell (age 30)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Matt Flynn (age 27)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Chad Henne (age 27)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brady Quinn (age 28)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Matt Leinart (age 29)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Michael Vick (age 32)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Mallett (age 24)
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Alex Smith (age 28)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Other (please specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Are you trying to say all these QBs are the same? That their body can hold up the same as any other guy? I don't understand that. That makes no sense. Vick can be the same age as Romo, Cutler, Big Ben etc. It doesn't mean they are physically all the same.

Vick is a running QB. He's not just going to transform into some pocket passer. He takes huge hits, and doesn't slide much. One bad hit and he's done.

and age is catching up to him. He's going to slow down, and older QBs don't physically hold up as well as younger ones. I just don't see the plus in him.

People want him because he's a QB who will help the run game better. Personally, I want a QB who will make the passing game better, and thats not Vick. I would absolutely rather ride it out with what we have now and see what happens, than make another Donovan McNabb mistake again.

Vick will be more physically gifted than all of those guys at their respective ages.

One hit away from being done? You could say that about any player on any play. People make it sound like Vick has brittle bones. Again the rib injury that kept him out in 2 of his 3 previous stints should not even be an issue anymore with the technological advancement of the military grade kevlar vest

And as the league makes things more and more about protecting players with this looming lawsuit it makes it possible for guys to be even more durable down the road.

So again he may be slowing down but Vick slowing down isn't the same as McNabb slowing down or any of those younger athletic QBs slowing down because none of them started off as fast as him

Vick slowing down is just leveling off to the speed of some of the most athletic QBs to have ever played the game

so thats what we are investing in? A QB who has to wear some high tech vest every game so after 1, 2 hits he won't be out for the game?

Michael Vick is far faded from the QB he once was. He got by in this league because of his running ability, not as a true passer. As he slows down, his abilities as a QB slow down. Because of this, he is forced to do things that he didn't have to when he was younger, and its killing him and his team. The high number of INTs and fumbles aren't just bad luck.

One look at him, and you know you aren't getting the 2010 Michael Vick back anymore. He's far removed from that status.

If we really want this QB who will just "make the run game better", or whatever the reason for bringing in Vick, I'd rather just play Joe Webb. Atleast he has potential and you don't have to hold your breathe every time he steps onto the field...

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Vick's numbers are very similar to Ponder's this year. Certainly not an upgrade, and if anything, a downgrade.

An argument can certainly be made that Vick would not be a substantial upgrade, but a downgrade? That isn't reasonable at all when Ponder is undoubtedly one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL and an argument can be made that he is the worst, even. PFF has him ranked as the third worst QB, currently.

I personally feel Vick would be a notch above, and that might be enough to make this team a playoff contender with the upside to do serious damage (as opposed to what it is currently - a playoff contender sure to be decimated unless Peterson can continue his legendary heroics).

Peppers90 on the sig.
TxViking28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
TxViking28 wrote:
New to the forum!
Read over all the post daily at work and school and decided to create an account and give my 2 cents especially on this topic

Why not Phillip Rivers? I still think the guy can ball and would be a huge upgrade of ponder! But im pretty unsure of his contract situation, anyways just a thought

Welcome to Football's Future! Are you going to the game when the Vikings play the Texans?

Absolutely, a co-worker of mine has season tickets and is taking me! Although it only happens very so often havent missed a texans/Vikings at Reliant
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not having a veteran QB has really, really hurt Ponder's progression and we need to get someone in here STAT.

Seriously. The best thing a young QB can have is a good veteran QB unless you are a GOD. Look at why Gabbert is failing. And why Wilson is doing so well.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
I think not having a veteran QB has really, really hurt Ponder's progression and we need to get someone in here STAT.

Seriously. The best thing a young QB can have is a good veteran QB unless you are a GOD. Look at why Gabbert is failing. And why Wilson is doing so well.

Unless he get's a brain transplant, a veteran QB isn't going to do much for Ponder at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For better or worse, Ponder is going to be the 2013 starter at QB.
No vetern is going to help Ponder's progression.
Ponder is going to need some organic growing himself to help Ponder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:

Isn't Chad Henne more of a veteran than Matt Flynn?!
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm asking this, but would you rather have Christian Ponder or Mark Sanchez in 2013?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I can't believe I'm asking this, but would you rather have Christian Ponder or Mark Sanchez in 2013?

Having to live with your own mistakes is bad enough, no reason to compound that by adding someone else's mistake...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

I dont think Ponder has even played as bad, ever, as Sanchez did last week.
hypno toad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn has shown he can throw it down field and sling it. I've never seen Ponder take a good throw down field, at least over 30 yards. It's a very dink and dunk type offense. His throwing is atrocious I think, but having Flynn would change everything.
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this point is worth mentioning again. The point is as long as 28 is in his prime the Vikings will only need a game manager with a great deep ball throwing to a guy like Wallace. With this in mind I think we should grab a receiver in the first and a guard in the 2nd. Our problem with passing plays is there is no pocket to step into a deep ball throw. It would also give AD a better line to run behind. It would be awesome to get a middle linebacker in the 3rd but not sure how deep the position is in the draft.

With all this said Alex Smith is the one I would go after to compete with Ponder and let the best one win the job.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

They may have so destroyed Sanchez's confidence that he could never recover. He looks positively horrible out there. I'd take Ponder over Sanchez.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost thinking Tebow might not be a bad addition...imagine: Tebow pitches back to AD, then follows Felton into the line to blast some poor DB. If we'd upgrade the OG spots, how would anyone stop AD then? We could run the 3-TE set all day and just have too many big bodies blocking for AD. And, since this is now such a pass-oriented League (which many of you delight in pointing out) who'd have the personel to stop AD?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
Almost thinking Tebow might not be a bad addition...imagine: Tebow pitches back to AD, then follows Felton into the line to blast some poor DB. If we'd upgrade the OG spots, how would anyone stop AD then? We could run the 3-TE set all day and just have too many big bodies blocking for AD. And, since this is now such a pass-oriented League (which many of you delight in pointing out) who'd have the personel to stop AD?

yeah! and instead of trying so hard to find quality wide receivers, we could just forget about it and not field any. get more blockers at the line. just run on every play.

what is this, 1950...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: