Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Veteran QB addition this off-season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which QB would you like to see brought in this offseason?
Jason Campbell (age 30)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Matt Flynn (age 27)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Chad Henne (age 27)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Brady Quinn (age 28)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Matt Leinart (age 29)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Michael Vick (age 32)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Mallett (age 24)
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Alex Smith (age 28)
22%
 22%  [ 15 ]
Other (please specify)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

perrynoid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Veteran QB addition this off-season? Reply with quote

Either to compete with Ponder for starting QB, or as veteran back-up? Please don't turn this into a Ponder-bashing thread, we already have several for that (ha ha)! I have included their ages if that info helps at all. Since these would be preferably via free agency, I have focussed on those QB's who might reasonably be free agents this upcoming off-season.

Please try to keep your comments positive!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is team in rebuilding mode, I'd prefer to roll with what we have until next off season and then re-evaluate after all players are given significant looks. If I were to pick one, I would probably replace MBT with someone like Matt Hasselback.

this providence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wouldn't bother bringing in any of the free agent options and expect them to provide much in the way of competition and if either were to start over Ponder, well, I don't know what that says about the state of the QB position.

With that said, if the Vikings were looking into bringing in a QB option (I would be, in their shoes) the name I keep coming back to is Tony Romo. Of course, he has that stigma and I can see why some (many?) would be against it. But I look at it as a legitimate option who very well could be available and could take advantage of Adrian Peterson's timeline. Dallas is going to need to make a decision on Romo this offseason one way or another as his cap number is ridiculous next year and an option through 2016 if he's kept throughout the year; with the same $16m+ cap number through every year of that deal.

I'm not even sure what Dallas would be seeking, and Romo would definitely need a new contract, but I'd have to think they'd probably listen to offers...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Alex Smith brought in, or trade for Ryan Mallett.

No thanks to any of the options listed though.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Campbell (age 30) - Heck no, he looked awful and i dont see much upside

Matt Flynn (age 27) - Yes, I think Flynn is a very smart QB and has a lot of good intangibles to be a quality backup and potential starter. I would trade a mid round pick for Flynn.

Chad Henne (age 27) - Henne wouldnt be a bad option, he is a free agent but im not sure he would choose to sign with the Vikings to likely be a backup, he could just stay in Jacksonville where he knows he is playing well.

Brady Quinn (age 2Cool - Seriously?!

Matt Leinart (age 29) - You've got to be kidding, right?!

Michael Vick (age 32) - No! No! No! Too old, too injury prone and the Eagles have been dreadful the past two years, not sure he is the right kind of backup.

Tim Tebow (age 25) - We have Joe Webb, if we are to run a gimmick offense id just stick with Webb.

You should also add Alex Smith, if he is released.

So realistically, I would only take Flynn, Henne or Smith out of the list. My preference is for Flynn and if he could be had for a mid round pick, I would pull the trigger. I think Flynn is a capable backup who has some upside to push for the job, or worst case, replace Ponder if Ponder fails to improve.

Acquiring another veteran QB doesnt have to signify that the end is near for Ponder or that there isnt confidence in him. For a young QB, I think competition is important and having a decent backup plan could possibly salvage a season in what should be a pretty talented team in 2013.

I dont trust Joe Webb backing up and pushing Ponder.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I would like to see Alex Smith brought in, or trade for Ryan Mallett.

No thanks to any of the options listed though.

Mallett isnt a viable option, I dont see any reason why the Pats would even entertain that kind of a trade unless the Vikings were giving up a first round pick or something even more significant. The Pats spent a third round pick on Brady's potential successor, its going to take a lot to pry him away.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess everybody has a pretty good idea who I voted for (thanks for adding him for me Perrynoid). Very Happy

It hasn't been too much of a secret that Tim Tebow is the guy I've wanted for this team more than any other since Lord Favre finished his illustrious career.

There are many reasons for this. First and foremost, Tebow's leadership and drive to succeed are second to none. We saw in Denver what he was able to do in his first year as a starter, taking over for a 1-4 team and turning it around to make the playoffs. The players on that team - offense AND defense, all seemed to rally together behind his leadership and really started believing in themselves as the season wore on. These are qualities that are extremely important in any team's leader, and with Tebow we would have one of the best, if not THE best in this department. Without this, your chances for a championship(s) go down considerably, IMO.

In terms of on the field play, I'll get this out of the way right from the start. Up to now Tebow has had challenges in the short and intermediate passing game. Conventional wisdom tells us that it's a passing league, and if you can't fling it around the field like the 2000 Rams, you won't be able to succeed.

This theory does make sense in some ways, but I believe that you can still succeed, and in fact, thrive, if you have an organization with the vision to quit being a bunch of copycats and start being an innovators. With Tebow's athleticism, a game plan should be able to be created using techniques from the "smash-mouth" days of old, and adding new innovations that the league hasn't seen before.

With a cast including Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin, a beastly O-line, and a couple other quality receivers, Tim Tebow could turn the Vikings offense into something very special. Add in a defense with an aggressive pass rush, and we could finally be looking at some world championships.

The key is to have a coaching staff that has the vision to build around Tebow's strengths. It would take some courage, but I think it could pay off big time for the guy who has the stones to actually do it.

I know a lot of my friends on this site may not agree with my ideas here. While I agree that it would be GREAT to draft a guy like Andrew Luck and have a clear vision of where the team was headed for the next 12-15 years. The only problems with that plan are that guys like Andrew Luck don't come around very often, and when they do, our team has shown a long history of not being willing to pay the price to go after them.

Seeing as how a guy like Andrew Luck seems to be a pipe dream for our beloved purple, why not try something completely different and have all the other teams trying to copy what we do for a change, rather than the other way around? Just like the Wright brothers and their airplane, or Thomas Edison and his incandescent light, almost all great ideas were scoffed at by the masses before they became accepted - and went on to change the world.

The Vikings took a big gamble once on the Herschel Walker trade and it didn't turn out too well for us. I'd say we're long overdue for some good breaks to come our way.

Acquiring Tim Tebow would cost us very little, and it would be a gamble that could pay off HUGE!!! As they say, you can't sail big ships unless you go where the water is deep.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
Nozizaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Flynn and Alex Smith are the only options I really feel are legit starting NFL QBs.

Henne can zing it around, and seems to be marginally better than Ponder, but Ponder problem will at least progress past him soon enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Joe Flacco? He is a free agent in 2013. The Ravens probably won't let him walk, I am sure they are working on a long-term contract. They could use the franchise tag on him if they dont get a new deal done. Could the Vikes sign him as a franchise tagged player? They would have to give up first round picks in 2013 and 2014.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
What about Joe Flacco? Could the Vikes sign him as a franchise tagged player? They would have to give up first round picks in 2013 and 2014.

Definitely not worth that price for a rebuilding team like us.

Now for the guys in the poll question. I immediately eliminated these four:
Quote:
Jason Campbell (age 30)

Quote:
Brady Quinn (age 28)

Quote:
Matt Leinart (age 29)

Quote:
Michael Vick (age 32)

That leaves us with:

Quote:
Chad Henne (age 27)

Henne is playing well. The problem is, he's playing so well that I've heard he might've outplayed Gabbert for the job even past this season. So he probably won't be available.

Quote:
Ryan Mallett (age 24)

As has been stated, highly unlikely New England would trade him, and don't really like his fit anyways.

Quote:
Tim Tebow (age 25; added just for you Uncle Buck!)

I get what you're saying UB, and I'd be tempted. However, I think he's such a controversial guy that I think we'd stay away. The team talked about how they liked how quiet it was around training camp, and adding Tebow would create the opposite effect.

Quote:
Matt Flynn (age 27)

Flynn is getting closer to what we've been looking for in the parameters of this thread. However, was there something about him that triggered Seattle to draft Wilson AFTER he was signed?!

Quote:
Alex Smith (age 28)

Of those listed, Smith would be the ideal candidate. Has starting experience at a high level in the playoffs, played in a similar offensive concept (dominant RB, QB as "game manager"), and SF seems ready to move on.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want is for the vikings to hire brett favre as our QB coach and he could be the backup if he wanted too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Tebow Brick wall
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
All I want is for the vikings to hire brett favre as our QB coach and he could be the backup if he wanted too.

I always wanted him to come back in a 'relief' pitcher role Rolling Eyes
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
ktarinze

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tebow for the win even though I didn't vote for him lol
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Mallet is the only one on this list that remotely interests me. The rest are either busts, on the downside of their career, or lack upside.

We haven't heard anything out of Mallet for almost 2 seasons now, which is great for a 'character concern'. Cannon arm, got the time to sit and watch behind one of the greatest ever, etc.

Price might be a problem, but at least with Mallet we'd have a shot at a QB fo the next decade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: