Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The FIRST Stchamp98 2013 Mock Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: The FIRST Stchamp98 2013 Mock Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Here it is boys, the big debut. The real deal. It's the Grammies, Academy Awards, ESPYs and Razzies all rolled up into one, Stchamp98's 2013 Arizona Cardinals Mock Draft!!! I'm going to start this off by first saying I believe our head coach of six years, Ken Whisenhunt, is out at the end of this season and is replaced by the man our ownership recently spoke to about the future of the franchise, Ray Horton. I don't have any predictions on coordinators or anything like that but Whiz out and Horton in is where I see it going, with the defensive system remaining much the same. I've also started by giving the picks for each of the 8 teams currently slated to pick in front of us in the first round. Enjoy.

Top Eight Picks
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Geno Smith, QB West Virginia
2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Damontre Moore, DE Texas A&M
3. Oakland Raiders: Star Lotulelei, DE Utah
4. Philadelphia Eagles: Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M
5. Carolina Panthers: Dee Milliner, CB Alabama
6. San Diego Chargers: Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan
7. Cleveland Browns: Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State
8. Tennessee Titans: Johnathan Hankins, DT Ohio State

Round One

Selection: Matthew Barkley, QB University of Southern California

Explanation: You guys are probably wondering how much Vodka I’d had to drink when I made this pick as I constantly rail against Matt Barkley the prospect but when I sat down and exhausted all of my thoughts and all the scenarios I could possibly put together, roads kept leading me back to Matt Barkley. Let me be very, VERY clear on this: Matt Barkley has SERIOUS game flaws. Not small game flaws, I mean big, serious, troubling game flaws. Play recognition pre and post snap, arm strength/ability to make all the throws in a route tree, overall athleticism, height, footwork, he’s got problems in every single area and most of those flaws aren’t fixable. You can’t fix arm strength, you can’t fix athleticism. He isn’t sprouting up another 2-3 inches. Footwork is a process that can take years to address. There are 9-10 year vets in this league right now, Pro Bowl guys, who still make mistakes related to shoddy footwork. Matt Barkley is a seriously flawed quarterback who may or not be maxed out on ability as it stands today…THAT SAID, he does have some pretty nice qualities as well. He throws an accurate intermediate ball with a quick release point. He’s intelligent and diligent and will out work most everyone in our locker room. Eats game tape for breakfast. The flaws in his game that are fixable, he’ll work tirelessly to correct them. The first ever 3-time team captain in the history of Trojan football, a true team leader. While he doesn’t play in a pro style offense the way many claim, he’s sharp enough and dedicated enough to learn a complex offense. He’s got a large number of college starts and tons of big game experience, the lackthereof having been the downfall for almost every major NFL Draft bust at the position (Too many examples to even name). Last but not least, he’s got broad national appeal. You guys might scoff at this mention but it matters. With season tickets, private booths and sponsorship cash on the line, a 4-8 team with no positive buzz whatsoever around it, it really matters. I’m not sold on this pick, personally. Matter of fact, it’s the one pick here that I don’t truly endorse (which sounds weird, beings as this mock is my creation) but we desperately, undeniably need a quarterback and an offensive leader. Like a few defensive coordinators turned head coaches before him, I believe Ray Horton will begin his tenure here with a young rookie quarterback that he and his new offensive coordinator can both grow with. I just hope the player he picks, Matt Barkley, can prove me wrong. If he doesn’t, we could be in real trouble here

Round Two

Selection: Barrett Jones, Offensive Lineman University of Alabama

Explanation: What’s the first rule of thumb after you’ve taken a rookie quarterback high in the first round of the NFL Draft? You get him some help. Weapons wise, he’s got more than enough to work with. Protection wise, he’s got little to work with. Enter one of my favorite prospects in this year’s draft class, Barrett Jones. An extremely smart, cerebral player (Earned his degree in 3 years at Alabama with a cumulative 4.0 GPA) who is going to do his damndest to out-work every other guy on the roster and is technically sound in most every aspect of necessary OL play. Jones is durable and has oodles of big game experience, starting 49 of a possible 53 college games in the toughest conference in America (Not to mention 3 of the biggest Bowl Games in college football) where he’s been borderline dominant but most importantly, he’s versatile. He’s arguably the most versatile prospect in this draft, regardless of position. 25 college starts at right guard, 11 at left tackle and 13 now at the center position. (Right guard, left tackle, center. Hhmm, I wonder if we need help at any of those spots? I do wonder…). Model citizen off the field, making routine trips to Haiti in the offseason for work with an orphanage located there. He’s a smooth athlete but not great in that area, he’s definitely more advanced in the run game than he is in the pass game and he needs to add bulk to a rather thin 6’5” 302 frame. Dealt with more than one nagging injury over the years and is dealing with one as we speak (Though he will be fine for the upcoming National Championship game). The kid’s ceiling has been questioned by many who wonder if he still has any room to grow, which isn’t all that radical an opinion but he’s polished enough now that his floor is significantly higher than most everyone else’s which means he’s got just as good a chance for a decade long, prosperous career as a guy with a higher ceiling does. He’s everything we seem to look for IMO and if we’re FINALLY going to take an offensive line in the early part of the NFL Draft, I feel this is the kind of player/person who will be tops on our radar. I feel confident in saying that Barrett Jones will make for a phenomenal addition to the Arizona Cardinals

Round Three

Selection: Dayario Jamal Swearinger, Safety University of South Carolina

Explanation: My favorite player in the 2013 draft class. I love the kid, plain and simple. Easily described in two words: FOOTBALL PLAYER. If he was 6’1”, 210 and ran in the high 4.4s/low 4.5s he’d be a top 10 NFL Draft pick but he’s not and he (Reportedly) doesn’t. The South Carolina team site lists him at 6’0” but there are whispers he’ll be closer to 5’10” and most analysts predict his 40 time in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s. Guess who doesn’t care? This guy. What is it Ray Horton said, big guys who can run and small guys who can hit? DJ Swearinger is the poster child for small guys who can hit. Arguably the most physical defensive back in the country will highlight reel hits left and right but unlike a lot of guys who hit hard, Swearinger can actually tackle. Phenomenal tackler, truly top notch. Legitimate playmaker that’s constantly around the football. Made over 30 college starts in the powerhouse Southeastern Conference, including double digit starts at both free and strong safety, and felt right at home. Lead the team in special teams tackles as a freshman. Safety’s a serious problem here. Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson will both be 31+ years of age when the 2013 season begins. Kerry will be an unrestricted free agent after that season and Adrian appears to be slowly being phased out of the defense. How much longer he’ll last is anyone’s guess. Rashad Johnson and James Sanders are nothing but spot snap players and both are unrestricted free agents this offseason. Justin Bethel seems to be transitioning more towards cornerback than safety. There are serious issues at this position for this franchise but more than anything, Swearinger is simply everything I want in a player besides the measurables, which are the reason he falls to this spot. If he runs in the 4.6s, a lot of analysts think he’ll still be on the board in the 4th or 5th rounds but I don’t believe it. The kid’s simply too good when the pads are on. If he gets to this spot due to the concerns that the combine will likely bring up, I don’t even hesitate. I RUN to the podium to turn in the card that says “DJ Swearinger”

Round Four

Selection: Tyrann Mathieu, Defensive Back Formerly of Louisiana State University

Explanation: If you’ve fallen to the floor in shock, pick yourself up and hear me out. A 4th round pick….COST US NOTHING!!! Last year’s 4th round pick, Bobby Massie, got just 400K guaranteed. 400K. That’s pennies. If Tyrann flakes out, gets back into the drugs, screws around and never makes it, we’re out just 400K. And if he does straighen up, if he does make it, we’ve hit the freaking jackpot!!! This has annually been a round that we’ve taken big risks in (And this is certainly a big time risk). We took a big risk on small school player Greg Toler in the 4th round in 2009 taking on his off-field issues and incredibly limited tape/poor competition film. We took a big risk on O’Brien Schofield in the 4th round in 2010 after he tore his ACL at that year’s Senior Bowl. We’ve done it before, why not do it again? What have we got to lose? It’s been widely reported that he’s very close with Patrick Peterson and is apparently living with Peterson’s parents at the current time. If the straight laced PP21 can get with him and keep him on the straight and narrow, my god….think of the possibilities. Game changer in the secondary, game changer on special teams. I’m not saying this is going to work out. As a matter of fact, I think it’s at best a coin flip but if it does we’ve literally hit the jackpot. If it doesn’t, we’re literally out a measly 400 thousand dollars. I say pull the trigger. Really, what do we have to lose?

Round Five

Selection: Ricky Wagner, Offensive Tackle, University of Wisconsin

Explanation: Another guy in the Barrett Jones mold. Durable, lots of starting/big game experience, he’s got great size and the versatility to potentially play a number of different positions along our offensive line after starting at both left and right tackle for the Badgers. He’s stiff in the hips and not extremely fleet afoot (Doesn’t bend well at the waist either), so his best spots at the pro level are likely right tackle or inside at guard. He’s been a bit of a downer this season, especially in the run game but he’s another blue-collar, hard working guy and he’s had enough success in years past for me to not kill him TOO much for the way this season has gone. Whether he comes in and battles Bobby Massie or Adam Snyder for a starting job is obviously unknown at this point but while we do need to upgrade the starting lineup, we need to upgrade the second unit just as much if not more so. D’Anthony Batiste is A] Awful. B] Over 31 years of age next season. C] An unrestricted free agent this offseason. Nate Potter is still a question mark, nobody knows anything about Senio Kelemete. The depth on this offensive line has to be addressed, plain and simple. I feel Ricky Wagner does this rather well

Round Six

Selection: AJ Klein, Inside Linebacker Iowa State University

Explanation: Some will say this is a round too early and if he times slower than expected (Which isn’t all that fast itself, 4.7s) it may be but Klein a helluva kid, as his raw tenacity and willingness to do the defenses dirty work is rare on today’s game. Very nice tackler. Never arm tackles and takes good, solid angles to the football at all times. Will take on blockers with no reservation. He’s incredibly disciplined, reportedly sticks religiously to an extremely rigid diet and soaks up game tape every chance he gets but there are also reports that he’s clashed with coaches in the past (Though he’s never been suspended or missed a game due to disciplinary action) and has quote “too large of a chip on his shoulder”. There’s a worry that if he doesn’t win a starting job somewhere down the line he could get tough to handle. The athleticism, as touched on above, is also a legitimate concern. He’s not a speedier and he’s not a joystick. Stiff in the hips. One would have no choice but to question how well he’d hold up in coverage but for the hard work, the tenacity, the tackling ability and our severe need for a SILB down the line, I feel Klein makes for a solid addition on day three

Round Seven

Selection: Kyle Juszcyzk, Tight End Harvard University

Explanation: Whiz may be gone but the draft trends of this regime remain strong with the addition of another non-FBC prospect. Juszcyzk isn’t actually the type of tight end that we need right now as he’s really just an H-Back who catches a lot of passes down the field and out of the backfield but he’s got nice size (6’3” 245) and frame with room to add but more importantly, he’s a real hard worker and for a low day three pick he contributes on special teams (Being from Harvard, he’s obviously not lacking in the brains department either). That’s all I really need. If he becomes an offensive contributor somewhere down the line, I’ll be quite pleased with this selection.

This mock was extremely unique for me, as I stepped way outside of my box with a couple of these picks. I took a 1st round pick that I don't even like and a 4th round pick who's got just as good a chance of ending up in Federal Prison as he does contributing on Sundays but I feel the makeup of this team calls for some new thinking, some new ideas. 2008 isn't coming back. We new to inject new life into this franchise, it's time to officially turn the page and move into the new era of BirdGang football. Feel free to laugh, cry, call me an idiot or call me a revolutionary leader. Let me hear your thoughts everyone!!!

Last edited by stchamp98 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have me Sold on every pick but 1 and 4.

So if Arizona does draft Barrett Jones where do you see him playing for the cardinals? I really like his upside at Center.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think we are going to be able to snag Jones in the second?

I can live with Barkley, but it has to be in the right offense and that is one that emphasizes short to medium range accuracy, getting the ball out quickly and picking up 6-10 yards in the air rather than 16-20 yards in the air.

If AJ Smith hangs around in San Diego they are not going to go OL. Never have never will.

I would flick Hankins out and Richardson in at 8, but that does not really affect that much.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I like you, hate the idea of Barkley being drafted by us...hate it. Barkley is not Blaine Gabbert in my book, but he is also not somebody I would want in the top ten. However, what you said is 100% true, Horton will probably want a new QB, he has seen what Kolb and Skelton bring to the table, which is enough to know that this team needs a real QB. I just don't think Barkley is that guy.

2. Tyrann Mathieu is a guy I would love to add, I think Horton could use him in a lot of unique ways. however, even though I probably stated differently at the time of his most recent off-field troubles, I think he will be drafted higher than most people think. I think he goes in the range of late 2nd-early 4th. If I was making a mock that included Mathieu, I would have him as our 3rd rounder.

3. Love the Wagner pick, like you said, he has played at a high level in the past, so he still deserves to be drafted despite his awful senior year. also, I like Wisconson lineman.

4. hate the Harvard guy...I have probably mentined it before, but I hate everything about Harvard...everything.

sig made by mike23md
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
You think we are going to be able to snag Jones in the second?

I can live with Barkley, but it has to be in the right offense and that is one that emphasizes short to medium range accuracy, getting the ball out quickly and picking up 6-10 yards in the air rather than 16-20 yards in the air.

If AJ Smith hangs around in San Diego they are not going to go OL. Never have never will.

I would flick Hankins out and Richardson in at 8, but that does not really affect that much.

1. Yes I do. There's a TON of interior line talent this year and the guessiness (If that's a word) of the picks from 30-40 is difficult to say the least. I can see Jones in the back end of round 1 real easy but I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see him on the board for us at the top of the 2nd.

2. I agree 100%. Depends on the offensive coordinator and the way Horton wants to take the offense but I'm not making any predictions on that at this time.

3. IMHO, AJ and Norv are out.

4. I can see that, definitely. As you said though, doesn't affect our pick any.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to be unbiased Champ! You're the GOAT mocker... If B-Jones slips out of the 1st round I'd consider trading up 6-7 spots to grab him. Love the Badger in your spot as well.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add my 2 cents to the subject...AJ Smith is a goner in SD. I thought he was gone after last year, I can't imagine a >500 season convincing the owners to give him and Norv another chance.

sig made by mike23md
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
1. I like you, hate the idea of Barkley being drafted by us...hate it. Barkley is not Blaine Gabbert in my book, but he is also not somebody I would want in the top ten. However, what you said is 100% true, Horton will probably want a new QB, he has seen what Kolb and Skelton bring to the table, which is enough to know that this team needs a real QB. I just don't think Barkley is that guy.

2. Tyrann Mathieu is a guy I would love to add, I think Horton could use him in a lot of unique ways. however, even though I probably stated differently at the time of his most recent off-field troubles, I think he will be drafted higher than most people think. I think he goes in the range of late 2nd-early 4th. If I was making a mock that included Mathieu, I would have him as our 3rd rounder.

3. Love the Wagner pick, like you said, he has played at a high level in the past, so he still deserves to be drafted despite his awful senior year. also, I like Wisconson lineman.

4. hate the Harvard guy...I have probably mentined it before, but I hate everything about Harvard...everything.

1. I have serious concerns as to whether or not Matt Barkley will ever be "the guy" here but this QB class is desolate and the free agent class is nothing short of scary (As it should be. Good starting QBs shouldn't ever hit the open market). Ray Horton can't go with John Skelton, he can't go with Ryan Lindley and he can't rely on Kevin Kolb. This is not a move I want us to make but I have a hard time convincing myself that this is a move we have the luxury of avoiding. You can't win in this league without a QB. That's just the way it is. We all have to hope and pray Barkley makes it.

2. I disagree. The problem with the Honey Badger, even excluding the off the field stuff, is that he's shorter and slower than every other high round corner. Around 5'8-5'9" and is projected to run in the low 4.5s. Brandon Flowers should have gone in the top 15 in 2008 based on play and play alone but he went in round 2 because he was shorter and slowed than everyone else. That in itself will drag him down. Add in the drugs and the suspension and the no football in 2012 and you've got a day 3 pick IMHO.

Last edited by stchamp98 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. just because I am curious, what do you,and this is to everyone, not just champ, what do you think the chances are that Khalid Holmes falls to round two? Because If you have us going Barkley in round one, and Center in round two, why not reunite Barkley with his center from college?

Holmes, from what I have read, is a quality prospect, and Center has become one of our biggest needs IMO, so what do you think of that idea?

2. sig-bet?

sig made by mike23md
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
You have me Sold on every pick but 1 and 4.

So if Arizona does draft Barrett Jones where do you see him playing for the cardinals? I really like his upside at Center.

I see Jones initially sliding in at the RG spot and then moving to center a year or two down the line. If an injury happens (The way it did with our RG AND center this season), he fills in as needed.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll comment further later, but the 1st thing that jumps into my mind is if we really could get Jones in the 2nd, it would be like the equivalent of an Asian man with long dreads, wearing bright red parachute pants, and riding a unicycle during a busy lunch hour in snow-covered downtown Calgary successfully getting away with stealing some old lady's purse! In other words, I'd be stunned to see it happen!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
1. just because I am curious, what do you,and this is to everyone, not just champ, what do you think the chances are that Khalid Holmes falls to round two? Because If you have us going Barkley in round one, and Center in round two, why not reunite Barkley with his center from college?

Holmes, from what I have read, is a quality prospect, and Center has become one of our biggest needs IMO, so what do you think of that idea?

2. sig-bet?

1. NFLDraftScout.com I believe has Holmes with a 3rd round grade. Reuniting the two isn't a bad thought but Jones is simply a significantly better prospect.

2. Sure, what are the terms?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
I'll comment further later, but the 1st thing that jumps into my mind is if we really could get Jones in the 2nd, it would be like the equivalent of an Asian man with long dreads, wearing bright red parachute pants, and riding a unicycle during a busy lunch hour in snow-covered downtown Calgary successfully getting away with stealing some old lady's purse! In other words, I'd be stunned to see it happen!

He's 27th on Rob Rang's big board as it stands right now, the back end 1st round picks rarely go by need or by easy tabbed order the way the top 10 does. This interior line class is loaded. I don't see it as a surprise at all. I wouldn't be shocked if he went higher but this is a very realistic scenario IMHO. Highly talented interior lineman go at the top of round 2 all the time.
shawn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
shawn wrote:

2. sig-bet?

1. NFLDraftScout.com I believe has Holmes with a 3rd round grade. Reuniting the two isn't a bad thought but Jones is simply a significantly better prospect.

2. Sure, what are the terms?

1. fair enough

2. how about this, If Mathieu goes in rounds 1-3, I win. if he goes in rounds 4-undrafted, you win. pretty simple rules to follow. As far as the sig goes, I like my CC sig too much to get involved in a long-term sig bet, so as far as duration goes. The loser has to rock their new sig from the time of the draft, to the start of the regular season...how does that sound.

sig made by mike23md
younggun1273

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a solid mock draft and I don't have any complaints about it. Given the state of this team, I think I would be shocked if we didn't take a QB with our first pick, so I can't complain about Barkley.

I'm trying to find something to be critical about and I am struggling. Given the lack of trust this team has in Wells, Williams and Powell, I could see this team using a pick between rounds 5-7 on a RB, but that is just nitpicking and I personally don't have a problem with your 5-7 picks.

Justo on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: