Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LITC's 2013 Rick Spielman Vikings Mock V1.0

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LoverInTheCold


Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 1609
Location: Piscataway, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: LITC's 2013 Rick Spielman Vikings Mock V1.0 Reply with quote

Hey guys! Long time no post, but I'm back with this year's first installment of my Rick Spielman Vikings mocks. For those who've never seen me do this in previous years, it's just my attempt to project a realistic mock that follows our beloved GM Rick Spielman's tells and tendencies. Basically, I just stick my opinions in a Rick Spielman mold.

But first, some thoughts:

Like many of you, I'm beyond tired of this year's team. Heads need to roll, and the sooner the better. When you rush for 200+ yards, and lose the game badly, your team is in shambles. When the Packers went up by 10 last week, it was over. This is a team whose passing offense is so anemic that you might as well stick a fork in them if they're down by more than one score.

Honestly, I'd fire the entire coaching staff this off-season. But at the very least, OC Bill Musgrave, QB coach Craig Johnson and WR coach George Stewart need to go. Sure, they haven't had the greatest personnel to work with, but that's simply no excuse. Point blank, NFL coaches need to be able to take coal and turn it into diamonds. These are coveted jobs. But instead, ours have taken coal and turned it into even crappier coal.

Ponder has regressed and become a detriment to the team. His footwork is terrible. His drops are terrible. He puts nothing into his throws. His decision making is abysmal. He's terrible under pressure. He can't go through his reads. And the game is just too fast for him. All this for a player I championed a couple drafts back. I don't know if it's on him, or the coaching staff, or both, but something's gotta give this off-season. At this point, I'm willing to admit that I was wrong and move on. Worse yet, this WR corps may be the worst the team ever fielded. I've been harping on this for years now, and every year it's the same. They can't beat man coverage. And they are almost never open. The bottom line is that I don't care what kind of pedigree or resume these offensive coaches have, the product they're fielding is terrible.

If you had to ask me right now, I'd say that Spielman likely stays. Outside of his unwillingness or inability to bring in NFL quality wide receivers, and the potential bust of Ponder, his drafting has been pretty decent, or at least above par compared to the Green/Tice regimes. And he's shown some willingness to bring in quality free agents when needed or possible. Frazier, on the other hand, I'm 50/50 on. His apparent general lack of football acumen is disturbing to say the least, and his inability to every adjust to anything is frightening to say the least. But I have no problem with his stoicism on the sidelines, and think he has the potential to be a decent coach with the proper staff around him. I would absolutely pounce on Norv Turner for OC if and when he's fired by San Diego. He's even got a connection to Spielman via the Wannstedt staffs of yore in Miami. Turner isn't somebody I'd want as my head coach, but I think he excels with the fundamentals in a lesser role.

With all that said, I think there's a good shot we lose out and end up 6-10. St. Louis might be a win, but they've been playing lights out on defense so that's really no gimme. Given a set of reasonable predictors, that means we'll end up with somewhere around the 10th pick in the draft, give or take a few picks and some luck.

So although this might be a moot point if Spielman is eventually fired along with part or all of the coaching staff, here's my first attempt at projecting the 2013 Vikings draft class using Rick Spielman's tendencies and tells. Enjoy!

LITC's 2013 RICK SPIELMAN MINNESOTA VIKINGS MOCK:

Version 1.0 (December 5th, 2012)

(1) 10: Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
(rated #5 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: It's certainly not a given that Te'o falls this far, but with the traditional undervaluing of linebackers, there's definitely a possibility. But if he does, this should be a quick and easy card for Spielman to turn in. Te'o is about as sure a thing as they come at a position of great need. And he's from one of Rick's favorite schools to boot.

(2) 41: Robert Woods, WR, USC
(rated #48 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: While Spielman could certainly entertain the idea of QB Tyler Wilson (Arkansas) should he fall to the top of the 2nd round, it won't make a lick of difference who's playing QB if you've got nothing at WR. So I'm inclined to roll with Ponder for one more year, fix the WR corps and move on in '14 if necessary. Because in a potentially very deep WR class filled with talented underclassmen, Robert Woods could certainly fall here. His drops are definitely a concern, as is his Trojan WR pedigree, but he'd be hard to pass up if he was still on the board given our gaping hole at the position. This could be our next great Notre Dame/USC 1-2 punch after Kalil/Smith last year.

(3) 72: Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
(rated #97 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: Rambo's a very important piece of a great defensive team, and can fill out our defensive backfield nicely. Spielman loves his Bulldogs.

(4) 103: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas (from DET)
(rated #102 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: This might be a little bit of wishful thinking at the top of the 4th round, but with a deep WR class, anything's possible.

(4) 104: Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas
(rated #117 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: Talented underclassman has the potential to develop into a replacement for Charlie Johnson at LG.

(5) 136: DeVonte Holloman, LB, South Carolina
(rated #145 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: Might have gone higher if not for his DUI. Decent high risk/reward pick that might be able to step in and start at OLB. Can't possibly be any worse than Erin Henderson.

(6) 168: Cory Grissom, DT, South Florida
(rated #192 overall by CBS Sports)
NOTES: Decent developmental player and rotational body that has shown flashes at SF.

53 MAN ROSTER PROJECTION (w/o FA):

QB 7 Christian Ponder
QB 14 Joe Webb
QB 4 McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB 28 Adrian Peterson
RB 32 Toby Gerhart
RB 48 Matt Asiata
FB 42 Jerome Felton
WR 12 Percy Harvin
WR 13 Robert Woods
WR 81 Jerome Simpson
WR 11 Cobi Hamilton
WR 17 Jarius Wright
WR 85 Greg Childs
TE 82 Kyle Rudolph
TE 89 John Carlson
TE 40 Rhett Ellison
OT 75 Matt Kalil
OT 71 Phil Loadholt
OT 73 DeMarcus Love
OG 63 Brandon Fusco
OG 74 Charlie Johnson
OG 67 Alvin Bailey
OG 76 Geoff Schwartz
OC 65 John Sullivan
OC 61 Joe Berger

DE 69 Jared Allen
DE 96 Brian Robison
DE 97 Everson Griffen
DE 91 D'Aundre Reed
DT 93 Kevin Williams
DT 98 Letroy Guion
DT 90 Fred Evans
DT 99 Christian Ballard
DT 94 Cory Grissom
OLB 52 Chad Greenway
OLB 50 Devonte Holloman
OLB 57 Audie Cole
OLB 51 Larry Dean
MLB 55 Manti Te'o
MLB 54 Jasper Brinkley
CB 26 Antoine Winfield
CB 20 Chris Cook
CB 21 Josh Robinson
CB 24 AJ Jefferson
CB 27 Brandon Burton
CB 35 Marcus Sherels
S 22 Harrison Smith
S 38 Bacarri Rambo
S 33 Jamarca Sanford
S 41 Mistral Raymond

K 3 Blair Walsh
P 5 Chris Kluwe
LS 46 Cullen Loeffler
_________________


Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you back, LitC. Always like hearing from you.

Will comment in detail on your mock later because I'm about to step out, but I wanted to welcome back a familiar name.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 9066
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say on every mock, I want a new starting guard.....mostly I agree with your stuff before the picks. Not a woods fan.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoverInTheCold


Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 1609
Location: Piscataway, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
As I say on every mock, I want a new starting guard.....mostly I agree with your stuff before the picks. Not a woods fan.


There's nothing wrong with wanting a new starting OG, but much like Kalil last year, it's not going to make much difference when you have no QB or WRs. It's gravy. Ponder (who may be a scrub himself) couldn't do anything with these scrubs at WR if he had 10+ seconds to throw every play.

I think Kalil has had a decent rookie season, but has his impact been felt throughout this offense? No. In fact, sans the running game, this unit might actually be worse. This is what many of us were trying to preach to the Kalil worshippers last off-season. In this day and age, a great offensive line is just gravy. And now that we have a franchise LT, a franchise LG certainly is gravy.
_________________


Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Zephiel


Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 2250
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that guard isn't an early need with the other needs we have. However, I'm not a Woods fan, he doesn't offer much that Percy doesn't offer. There are plenty of 2nd round WRs that would help this team more, I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4892
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBS has Justin Hunter (WR) at 44, and I think he has a better matching skillset for this roster.

I would be fine it we did not take OG with the early picks this draft.
I perfer defense if not WR
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lil Uno


Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 7790
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods is underrated around these parts. I believe he is the 3rd best in the class behind Keenan Allen and Cody Hoffman. Wink

Woods is essentially the Percy Harvin of USC. The Trojans don't call for him to run the 9 route as much anymore, so there is this growing impression that he can't stretch the field. They use Woods as an extension of the run game game by hitting him with slants and bubble screens because he is a playmaker. However, Woods route tree is well developed for his age and he does possess the ability to get vertical consistently. Just isn't asked to do. Manti Te'o, Woods, Alvin Bailey, and Cory Grissom are all solid additions.
_________________

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 9066
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
As I say on every mock, I want a new starting guard.....mostly I agree with your stuff before the picks. Not a woods fan.


There's nothing wrong with wanting a new starting OG, but much like Kalil last year, it's not going to make much difference when you have no QB or WRs. It's gravy. Ponder (who may be a scrub himself) couldn't do anything with these scrubs at WR if he had 10+ seconds to throw every play.

I think Kalil has had a decent rookie season, but has his impact been felt throughout this offense? No. In fact, sans the running game, this unit might actually be worse. This is what many of us were trying to preach to the Kalil worshippers last off-season. In this day and age, a great offensive line is just gravy. And now that we have a franchise LT, a franchise LG certainly is gravy.


Disagree. If they had an averagish QB, Kalil would make a huge impact on this offense. A LG is not gravy.

Assuming they can't get a big time QB, they should ignore the OL? That is your argument.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoverInTheCold


Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 1609
Location: Piscataway, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:
As I say on every mock, I want a new starting guard.....mostly I agree with your stuff before the picks. Not a woods fan.


There's nothing wrong with wanting a new starting OG, but much like Kalil last year, it's not going to make much difference when you have no QB or WRs. It's gravy. Ponder (who may be a scrub himself) couldn't do anything with these scrubs at WR if he had 10+ seconds to throw every play.

I think Kalil has had a decent rookie season, but has his impact been felt throughout this offense? No. In fact, sans the running game, this unit might actually be worse. This is what many of us were trying to preach to the Kalil worshippers last off-season. In this day and age, a great offensive line is just gravy. And now that we have a franchise LT, a franchise LG certainly is gravy.


Disagree. If they had an averagish QB, Kalil would make a huge impact on this offense. A LG is not gravy.

Assuming they can't get a big time QB, they should ignore the OL? That is your argument.


No. You're still not grasping what I, and others, have been saying since as far back as last off-season. The WRs are just as much, if not more of a problem than Ponder. They cannot beat man coverage. They can't run simple routes efficiently. They cannot get separation. And all of that is amplified by poor QB play.

All of the time in the world can not make up for these issues. Ponder could have 15 seconds every play and it wouldn't matter. The receivers can't get open. They can't break from their man or find the soft spot in the zone. And even if they did, which they don't, Ponder hasn't shown an ability to hit them.

The best offensive line in the world CANNOT cover up passing deficiencies. But a great passing offense CAN cover up deficiencies on the offensive line.

Improved OG play wouldn't make a darn bit of difference with this WR corps and this QB. We get a new QB and quality WR corps, then we'll talk.
_________________


Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
this providence


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 11146
Location: Ugh.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot more faith in a guard being able to come in and be productive early, if you draft one high enough, than I do any receiver in this draft. Not to mention that you're forgetting the effect that the guard has on the team's best player.

WR is as big of a need as any this team has, I just don't see how addressing it early pays much dividends on this roster in that player's first year. I'd like this mock a lot better if you switched around the guard to be the second player off the board and moved the WR back to where you've selected Bailey.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoverInTheCold


Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 1609
Location: Piscataway, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
I have a lot more faith in a guard being able to come in and be productive early, if you draft one high enough, than I do any receiver in this draft. Not to mention that you're forgetting the effect that the guard has on the team's best player.

WR is as big of a need as any this team has, I just don't see how addressing it early pays much dividends on this roster in that player's first year. I'd like this mock a lot better if you switched around the guard to be the second player off the board and moved the WR back to where you've selected Bailey.


By best player, I'm assuming you're referring to Peterson?

So are you saying that the run game has been so anemic this year it warrants an upgrade in and of itself? Shocked
_________________


Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
this providence


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 11146
Location: Ugh.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoverInTheCold wrote:
this providence wrote:
I have a lot more faith in a guard being able to come in and be productive early, if you draft one high enough, than I do any receiver in this draft. Not to mention that you're forgetting the effect that the guard has on the team's best player.

WR is as big of a need as any this team has, I just don't see how addressing it early pays much dividends on this roster in that player's first year. I'd like this mock a lot better if you switched around the guard to be the second player off the board and moved the WR back to where you've selected Bailey.


By best player, I'm assuming you're referring to Peterson?

So are you saying that the run game has been so anemic this year it warrants an upgrade in and of itself? Shocked


I'm saying that if that's your identity, you build around it to the point where you ensure you enforce your will upon the opposing team.

If the team's WRs are so poor that they need help beyond repair, the team needs to go out and get proven commodities at the position. Not raw and inconsistent weapons to pair with a raw and inconsistent (at best) QB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoverInTheCold


Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 1609
Location: Piscataway, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
LoverInTheCold wrote:
this providence wrote:
I have a lot more faith in a guard being able to come in and be productive early, if you draft one high enough, than I do any receiver in this draft. Not to mention that you're forgetting the effect that the guard has on the team's best player.

WR is as big of a need as any this team has, I just don't see how addressing it early pays much dividends on this roster in that player's first year. I'd like this mock a lot better if you switched around the guard to be the second player off the board and moved the WR back to where you've selected Bailey.


By best player, I'm assuming you're referring to Peterson?

So are you saying that the run game has been so anemic this year it warrants an upgrade in and of itself? Shocked


I'm saying that if that's your identity, you build around it to the point where you ensure you enforce your will upon the opposing team.

If the team's WRs are so poor that they need help beyond repair, the team needs to go out and get proven commodities at the position. Not raw and inconsistent weapons to pair with a raw and inconsistent (at best) QB.


I understand where you're coming from, but what we're getting from the line in terms of the opening holes for the run game isn't an issue. No need to fix what isn't broken. At least as far as Peterson is concerned. Now pass protection is another issue altogether, but I've already explained my points there. Buying Ponder more time isn't going to help him much without upgrading his WR corps and well, his brain.

As far as Woods goes, I'm lukewarm on the idea. But the value is there and he fits Spielman's m.o. I vastly prefer Keenan Allen, and he might in fact be the player I covet most in this draft. But I don't do these to placate my whims, I follow the formula and see what comes out.
_________________


Adopt-a-Viking: Rhett Ellison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Swaps


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: SKOL!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lover, you know our deal...

I get Alison first.


I would have a hard time believing that Te'o falls to 10, but if he does, and we're there, and he's ours... I'll hip thrust until the air files a police report...

I also think that getting Alvin Bailey in the 4th would be a steal!
Lastly, I'm WAY off the Robert Woods bandwagon. IMO he's a Michael Crabtree clone, and that's not a good thing. However, Michael Crabtree is better than all but Percy. And in actuality, I wouldn't be surprised to see Percy moved this offseason, with all the speculation behind his seemingly suspicious move to the IR.

Anyway, if this happened, I would absolutely love it. I have no problem suffering behind Ponder again. We'll be going 2-14 (beating the packers twice) then drafting Johnny Football with the 1st overall selection anyway.

Then it'll be Superbowl after Superbowl after Superbowl.

Good work!
_________________

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 9066
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how drafting a guard in round 2 keeps you from signing a FA WR, or trading for one, or drafting one in round 1 or 3. No place in my post did I say ignore WR. But I am saying, stop ignoring OG.

Like I said, I like this offseason, but I"d want a new OG that can be a starter someplace in it.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group