Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2011 Draft Day Trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: The 2011 Draft Day Trade Reply with quote

I wanted to wait until the end of the season, but having waited a couple months, I could not wait any more.

Question: Would you still do the 2011 draft day trade knowing what you know now?

Here's the thing, we know that the team needed an influx of young talent, and we know the OLB market in free agency that year was putrid compared to DL, hence the rationale of taking an OLB in the first round. But, did they make the right decision? Free Agency was after the draft after all, and they could have pursued a solution at OLB if they did not draft one.

(Yes, I hated the idea of 'Zo playing at LOLB ever again)

Something to consider....

Justin Houston has become an explosive pass rusher and he was selected with the 70th pick, when I thought there was absolutely no way he'd fall out of the first - that's what a positive test during the combine will do.

Of course this would mean the team would not have the players below.

Ryan Kerrigan
Leo Hankerson
Roy Helu
DeJon Gomes
Aldrick Robinson
Mo Hurt

Granted, the team still could have traded down with their natural second and found a way to acquire Helu, Gomes and Robinson (for example), in addition to Justin Houston. Obviously this is hindsight, but would it have been the better move for the franchise? I wanted Locker, otherwise J.J. Watt would have been my pick at 10.

In many ways this re-affirms my belief that the Redskins FO has focused on need over BPA. I came away from that draft thinking that they had hoped that Aldon Smith or Jake Locker would be there, and when they weren't trading down was the most attractive option because they needed to inject youth into the team AND the 2011 draft looks to be a rare draft with quality throughout.

To reiterate, can this truly be considered a mistake by the Redskins FO to go with quantity over quality?
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta love hindsight.

So Ryan Kerrigan has shown that he really cannot do much without having Brian Orakpo on the other side. I am not sure that I do this trade and really focus on a CB.

But sitting there, was J.J. Watt.

The other guys have not really contributed to where I think that they are invaluable. Helu is injured. Gomes is just grasping the game, but still is out of position a lot. Aldrick Robinson is merely considered for his speed. Mo Hurt was a 7th round pick that is a serviceable back up but nothing to write home about.

Considering this was not a franchise changing draft to where we added quality depth, to me Kerrigan was the only good thing that came out of it and again, I think Watt would have been a better pick at 10 instead of trading down.

But oh well.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight is much better having JJ Watt and Justin Houston on this defense.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic footy. I mostly agree with mike and dro.

I disagree about Kerrigan. I think he's had a pretty solid year, he just doesn't have a pro bowl pass rushing threat opposite him and no doubt that has hurt some. Much like in 2010 Orakpo wasn't quite as good because there were no other reliable pass rushers. Kerrigan has had the same problems. Rak in 20-0 and Kerrigan this year have been the only focuses offense have on our D. Therefore, they are double teamed, chipped and have everything else thrown at them from a protection aspect. Still though, both had good (not great) pressure and sack #s in each season.

That being said, having jj watt and Brooks Reed or Justin Houstonwoukd have been better than the group of players we received in 2011 if we hadnt traded back.

I didn't start a topic about this but a week or so ago in the 2013 draft thread I did do my classic hindsight from the past two offseasons and some of what i wanted to do differently the past two offseasons. What I laid forward would have this team in a better position for the future than it is now. Lol, oh well. Just saying. Wink

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brian23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drafted Jenkins in the 2nd, had Bowen, Carricker, and Cofield as our starters. Ontop of that I want to say we had Gholston projected as quality depth and maybe someone else...

J.J. Watt would have been a luxury pick when we needed an OLB. We were hoping Robert Quinn would be there but he was picked like 2 picks before we picked so we nabbed our fall back.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
We drafted Jenkins in the 2nd, had Bowen, Carricker, and Cofield as our starters. Ontop of that I want to say we had Gholston projected as quality depth and maybe someone else...

J.J. Watt would have been a luxury pick when we needed an OLB. We were hoping Robert Quinn would be there but he was picked like 2 picks before we picked so we nabbed our fall back.
in 2011 we had the lockout B. the draft was before free agency.

Therefore, Watt would have been selected before those others were signed in FA, since FA didn't happen till August. Wink

We wouldn't have taken Jenkins in round 2. we wouldnt have sigbed Bowen. we would have spent the $ on a DB or wr. We would have taken Reed or Houston. I'd love to have a left side of Lde- Watt and LOlb- Brooks Reed

Current front 7 would now be:

Rolb- Orakpo (when healthy), rob Jackson
Rde- Carriker (when healthy), Golston, cheaper FA than Bowen or Worthington/Darrion Scott
Nt- Cofield, Baker, Neild (when healthy)
Lde- Watt
Lolb Brooks Reed

Ilb- same

Our front 7 would be awesome for the future!! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: