Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LLWFCs Mock Draft Vol. 1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: LLWFCs Mock Draft Vol. 1 Reply with quote

This is my first of three mock drafts. The next will come aftrer the combine, and the third will come shortly before the draft. As always comments are welcomed and encouraged.

[/b]CUTS[/b]

Richard Seymour, DT
Tommy Kelly, DT
Rolando McClain, MLB
Michael Huff, FS
Taiwan Jones, RB
Dave Tolfeson, DE

Re-signings

Phillip Wheeler, LB
Desmond Bryant, DT
Brandon Myers, TE
Joselio Hansen, CB
Khalif Barnes, OT
Ron Bartell, CB

FREE AGENT ACQUISITIONS

Cliff Avril, DE
Terrance Knighton, DT
Larry Grant, LB
Max Starks, OT
Mike Pollak, OG/OC
Darius Butler, CB

Explanation - While I don't incision us having a ton of cap room, I think Reggie finds a way to land one big name free agent in Avril. Our pass rush is so pathetic that he may not have any other option. The rest of the guys are role players that won't command a ton of money but can fill a role.

Knighton is pretty well known with hardcore football fans but he's not going to get a big payday. He's had issues with weight and he isn't much of a pass rusher. He could be a good gamble because if we can keep him motivated we have our run stuffer for the foreseeable future.

Larry Grant is a guy that I believe could be our starting MLB, he plays behind two of the best ILBs in the NFL in SF, he just needs a chance, and we can offer that.

NFL DRAFT

Round 1: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia - I have us picking third overall and my number one player in the draft falling into our laps. There are risks as I'm sure most of you are aware of his condition, but Jarvis is too talented to pass up. He is a talent that you can build a defense around. The guy loves the game of football and plays hard all the time. Bringing him and Avril in will boost a pass rush that couldn't bring any pressure on the QB.

Round 3: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor - In my mock draft I have us moving back to a PBS and Richardson is a guy that can play OG or OT. He's a mammoth of a man and is a dominant run blocker. He has a chance at winning the starting spot from day one, but at worst he provides valuable depth at three positions.

Round 4: Isiah Johnson, FS, Georgia Tech - If you watch any Georgia Tech football Johnson is the defender that jumps out. He's got good size and good range, not to mention he's a solid tackled. He's still raw and that explains him being available in the fourth round, but he's got solid potential and can contribute immediately on special teams.

Round 5: AJ Francis, DT, Maryland - Francis has good size and moves well for a DT. He's very active with his hands and plays disciplined football for the most part.

Round 6: Devonte Holloman, LB, South Carolina - This guy is a great athlete. He played safety to start his career and then moved to LB. He's a guy that will make his living on special teams, but is also a developmental project as a LB that can specialize in covering these athletic TEs that have taken the NFL by storm.

Round 7: Cory Bloomfield - A late round flier on a good athlete with some ball skills.

Round 7: Bruce Taylor, LB, Virginia Tech - A thumped that makes his biggest impact in therun game and on blitzes. Good rotational player.

How would you feel about an off season like this?

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cuts, resigning and FA signings. I just do not want us to take Jarvis Jones. I much rather have Moore (best DE in the draft), star (best DT in the draft) or Joeckel (best lineman in the draft). Not a super talented, but huge injury risked player in Jones.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I love the cuts, resigning and FA signings. I just do not want us to take Jarvis Jones. I much rather have Moore (best DE in the draft), star (best DT in the draft) or Joeckel (best lineman in the draft). Not a super talented, but huge injury risked player in Jones.

I expect most people to have a similar stance on Jones and I would normally as well, but I saw first hand as a UGA fan on what Jones can do, USC had a similar line of thinking and UGA took the gamble and it paid off in a huge way. Some teams are going to write him off, but IMO a team that rolls the dice is going to get a huge payoff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ pretty much what RaidersAreOne is saying. I can't take a gamble w/ the third overall pick like that. Plus I just don't see it in him to be BPA at that point. He's a solid player but I think he's a one-trick pony best suited for a 3-4 defense.

Regardless though, if this off-season happened, I wouldn't be upset, that is for certain.

PM sig requests.
Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so many other edge rushers in this years draft, drafting Jones that early would not only be dumb, but put McKenzie's job at risk. He better not be the pick.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
With so many other edge rushers in this years draft, drafting Jones that early would not only be dumb, but put McKenzie's job at risk. He better not be the pick.

I'm of the belief that Jones is clearly the best pass rusher in the draft, and there really aren't that many great pass rushers in the middle rounds. Its got a lot of good pass rushers that will go in the first and second round and then it kind of drops off.

I would have had us trading down slightly, but I'm not a huge fan of doing it in mocks because things can get messy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Darkness wrote:

I'm of the belief that Jones is clearly the best pass rusher in the draft, and there really aren't that many great pass rushers in the middle rounds. Its got a lot of good pass rushers that will go in the first and second round and then it kind of drops off.

I would have had us trading down slightly, but I'm not a huge fan of doing it in mocks because things can get messy.

Jarvis Jones won't be the only good pass rusher from this draft though. I love Jones, but this franchise isn't in the position to be taking huge risks after how many times they've been burnt in the past.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
I agree w/ pretty much what RaidersAreOne is saying. I can't take a gamble w/ the third overall pick like that. Plus I just don't see it in him to be BPA at that point. He's a solid player but I think he's a one-trick pony best suited for a 3-4 defense.

Regardless though, if this off-season happened, I wouldn't be upset, that is for certain.

I appreciate the comments, I just thinking evaluations on Jones are different. I think he would make a great SLB that drops down to DE on passing downs, and I also disagree on him being a one trick pony. The SEC championship game didn't show it, but he's been very solid in run defense over the past two years, though obviously its not his greatest asset.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Jarvis Jones won't be the only good pass rusher from this draft though. I love Jones, but this franchise isn't in the position to be taking huge risks after how many times they've been burnt in the past.

Obviously he won't be the only good pass rusher, that isn't what I was saying.

I also don't think you can let your past dictate your future. This is a new era, this is a new regime. Just because All Davis took risks and they failed doesn't mean that this staff now should avoid all risks even if they think the reward is worth the risk. Hell look what happened when All went the safe route, we ended up with McClain over countless other guys that were more "risky." There are no sure things in the draft, ever, so passing up a more talented player for someone with less risk doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Darkness wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Obviously he won't be the only good pass rusher, that isn't what I was saying.

I also don't think you can let your past dictate your future. This is a new era, this is a new regime. Just because All Davis took risks and they failed doesn't mean that this staff now should avoid all risks even if they think the reward is worth the risk. Hell look what happened when All went the safe route, we ended up with McClain over countless other guys that were more "risky." There are no sure things in the draft, ever, so passing up a more talented player for someone with less risk doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

This isn't a talent risk though. It's a medical one. Jones is a hell of a player, and I don't think many disagree there. The only sure thing about him though is that he has a back problem that will shorten his career.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it's alright man.

You know how I feel about JJ. Avril is overrated and poor versus the run, plus he wants hella $$$. We don't have the cap space to cover signing him and all the other FAs either. And if there is one team whose OL castoffs I never want any part of, its Pittsburgh Laughing

I'd rework Huff's deal and keep him though. He's a good locker room guy and a decent player. Versatile too.

Like the Knighton pickup but I'd prefer SLH. Cheaper and same kind of production. Just needs to be rotated a bit more

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

I appreciate the comments, I just thinking evaluations on Jones are different. I think he would make a great SLB that drops down to DE on passing downs, and I also disagree on him being a one trick pony. The SEC championship game didn't show it, but he's been very solid in run defense over the past two years, though obviously its not his greatest asset.

Eek, I don't know if I want his hand on the ground ever. He's far too small to play DE.

While I admit, I probably haven't seen as much of him as you have but I have sen 3-4 games this season so I have a decent understanding. I just think he's a liability in coverage and could improve against the run. Not saying he can't do those things but IMO, he's just best suited for a 3-4 OLB. If we switch to that defense, I'd be more inclined to take him but that's another discussion if it ever happens.

PM sig requests.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Eh, it's alright man.

You know how I feel about JJ. Avril is overrated and poor versus the run, plus he wants hella $$$. We don't have the cap space to cover signing him and all the other FAs either. And if there is one team whose OL castoffs I never want any part of, its Pittsburgh Laughing

I'd rework Huff's deal and keep him though. He's a good locker room guy and a decent player. Versatile too.

Like the Knighton pickup but I'd prefer SLH. Cheaper and same kind of production. Just needs to be rotated a bit more

I feel like Avril was overrated at one point, but recently he has became underrated. While he may not be a great pass rusher, he would be our best pass rusher if he were here now, and yeah he's going to want a big payday, but the market dictates that. He can seek whatever he would like, but I don't think anyone is going to pay him like a top ten DE.

As far as signing him and the others I think we could make it work, those other guys are role players and aren't going to command a lot of money.

Starks isn't a good starter, but he's an experienced vet and would provide good depth at the very least.

I almost went with Sammie instead, but I feel like Knighton is a little better, but your right Hill might be a better value pickup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
LivingLegendWFC wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

Eek, I don't know if I want his hand on the ground ever. He's far too small to play DE.

While I admit, I probably haven't seen as much of him as you have but I have sen 3-4 games this season so I have a decent understanding. I just think he's a liability in coverage and could improve against the run. Not saying he can't do those things but IMO, he's just best suited for a 3-4 OLB. If we switch to that defense, I'd be more inclined to take him but that's another discussion if it ever happens.

He's not really that much smaller then Miller who does it effectively.

I'm not doubting that you have seen enough to form an educated opinion on him, I think we just differ in opinions on what were seeing. Nothing wrong with that.

I do question how good he can be in coverage, but he's athletic enough, and tbh a lot of strong side LBs struggle in coverage. I think he could be very solid against the run, especially if he had some disciplined linemen in front of him.

Understand the line of thinking that he would be better suited in a 3-4, but n my evaluations I see a guy that can play in any scheme. He would be a perfect joker type player that allows you to mix things up. es used all over the place at Georgia and it creates nightmares for opposing offenses. If we were just going o line him him up at OLB in the 4-3 then I agree, but I think he offers a versatility that this defense desperately lacks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty Good. I like the cuts and resigns. I think cutting Huff would be a big mistake tho. A guy that versital is def worth keeping. Id like ot see a restructure.

Avril scares me to death as a FA signing. I just think Ray Edwards all over again. When you play next to KVB and Suh, your bound to be matched up 1on1 more often than not. And as SB88 noted, poor against the run. I know he has more sacks but really I see Avril and Shaggy being on par with each other with one being better against the run and the other a better pass rusher. Id just keep Shaggy instead only because we know what we got in him and it would cost us less.

Love the Grant and Pollock signings. I called for Pollock last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: