Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We got a first mocker over here!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8904
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: We got a first mocker over here! Reply with quote

The Detroit Lions have an image problem, because of their image, I believe they have an unfair disadvantage. The Lions are seen as a dirty team because they get so many penalties against them and they get so many penalties against them because they are seen as a dirty team. This cycle is circular and practically impossible to break so the only hope is to wipe the slate clean and try again. How do we do that? We move the team from Detroit to LA and rename them.

The LA Whatever We Did We’re Sorry Mr. Officials Sirs.


Coaching staff:
HC:
Jim Schwartz: aside from a few mistakes at costly times I am still a fan of what Schwartz has done in his time in Detroit. He took over a roster with three or four NFL worthy players and in his third year we made the playoffs. Sure we regressed a little this year but I think Schwartz deserves the opportunity to grow with this young team.
OC:
Norv Turner: Linehan is let go largely due to our underperforming offense this year. Linehan was given a lot of responsibilities by Coach Schwartz and hasn’t come through. It is time to find a replacement. Norv Turner is fired from his head coaching duties in SD and quickly brought on board in Detroit as OC and play caller. Turner’s offense will emphasize a balanced attack that has the ability to really stretch the field with weapons such as Stafford and Megatron.
DC:
Gunthar Cunningham: Detroit’s defense hasn’t been anything to brag about for most of this year, and I really considered bringing in Monte Kiffen as the DC to replace Cunningham. However, I think our defense has over performed considering the talent level, especially in the secondary.
ST:
Kevin O’Dea: Danny Crossman could be replaced by a sack of potatoes and it would be an upgrade. Kevin O’Dea would be an upgrade over that sack of potatoes. O’Dea is in his fourth year as assistant special teams coach for the Chicago Bears.

Roster:
Keep:

Joique Bell (RB)
Bill Bently (CB)
Jahvid Best (RB/KR) – In this scenario he is cleared to play football again. I doubt he ever will be in the real world though.
Ryan Broyles (WR)
Gosder Cherilus (RT)
Patrick Edwards (WR)
Nick Fairley (DT)
Jason Fox (OT)
Jonte Green (CB)
Chris Greenwood (CB)
Will Heller (TE)
Correy Hillard (OT)
Sammie Hill (DT)
Chris Houston (CB)
Calvin Johnson (WR)
Tyrell Johnson (S)
Jacob Lacey (CB)
Mikel Leshoure (RB)
Deandre Levy (OLB)
Ronnell Lewis (DE)
Travis Lewis (LB)
Kellan Moore (QB)
Don Muhlbach (LS)
Bill Nagy (C)
Kassim Osgood (WR)
Ashlee Palmer (LB)
Brandon Pettigrew (TE)
Riley Rieff (LT)
Ricardo Silva (S)
Rob Sims (LG)
Kevin Smith (RB)
Mathew Stafford (QB)
Ndamukong Suh (DT)
Mike Thomas (WR)
Stephen Tulloch (MLB)
Tahir Whitehead (LB)
Willie Young (DE)

Don’t Keep:

Cliff Avril – cap casualty
Jeff Backus – old and expensive
Don Carey
Louis Delmas – love him when he is healthy, but he never is. Some team will overpay for him to come play 4 weeks a year for them
Justin Durant – cap casualty
Kris Durham
Drayton Florence
Dylan Gandy
Jason Hanson – cap casualty
Nick Harris - sucks
Shaun Hill – cap casualty
Lawrence Jackson – cap casualty
Pat Lee
Stefan Logan
Stephen Peterman
Dominic Raiola
Brian Robitski
Tony Scheffler – retires due to concussions
Amari Spievey – retires due to concussions
Kyle Vanden Bosch – making way too much for how effective he is
Correy Williams – cap casualty
Titus Young – idiot

Draft:
Trades: Point value summary is underlined.
Trade 8th overall pick (1400 pts) and 2013 6th round pick (14.6) to NYJ for 14th overall (1100) + 78th overall (200) and 2013 3rd round pick (116pts) 1414.6 vs 1416
The Jets want to trade up to grab the next overrated USC QB because their current one is broken. We want to move down because we are in cap hell and rookies are the cheapest way to fill a roster.

Trade 14th overall (1100) to St Louis Rams for the 18th overall (900) (from Washington), 79th (195), and 207th(8.6) 1100 vs 1103.6
St. Louis has ammo to move up with the RGIII trade last year and they do so in order to grab a weapon for Bradford. We still want more picks.

Trade 18th overall (900) and 200th (11.4) to Seattle for the 23rd (760) and 87th (155) 911.4 vs 915
Seattle also wants to get its young QB a weapon. We still want cheap, effective players.


23rd overall selection: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU

Other than Avril, our DEs have been very disappointing this year, and Avril has only been slightly better than that imo. With Avril being a cap casualty we really need to find some DEs that can take advantage of the monsters playing in the middle of our DLine. Montgomery will have a great career in LA with Suh and Fairley flushing QBs out of the pocket straight into his arms.
40th overall selection: Matt Elem, S, Florida

Do I really need to explain why we need a safety? Delmas and Amari are gone and as we've seen their backups are not the safety net one would want for their defense.
72nd overall selection: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

Meet Mr False Start Peterman's replacement. Warford adds some beef to our interior and hopefully develops into a force to be reckoned with on the offensive line.
78th overall selection: Tank Carradine, DE, FSU

We need a second DE to pair with Montgomery and thanks to Carradine's injury we are able to scoop him up with a third round pick. Carradine will also take advantage of the chaos created by Suh and Fairley and will thrive once healthy.
79th overall selection: Robert Lester, S, Alabama

With a talented safety class this year Lester falls into our lap in the third round. We gladly pair him with our other rookie safety to form a young dynamic duo.
87th overall selection: Kahled Holmes, C, USC

Holmes comes in to replace Raiola, and is an immediate upgrade over the departed veteran due to the fact that he won't be pushed in Stafford's lap.
136th overall selection: Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

With Scheffler's retirement due to concussions we need a new TE who can be a receiving threat.
168th overall selection: Mike Taylor, OLB, Wisconsin

Good depth and good value here. Should be an immediate contributor on special teams.
UDFA:
Tom Hornsey, P, Memphis
Chandler Catanzaro, K, Clemson
Chris Jacobson, G, Pittsburgh


Final Roster:
Offense:
QB: Stafford, Moore
RB: Leshoure, Bell, Smith
WR: Johnson, Broyles, Thomas, Edwards, Osgood
TE: Pettigrew, Heller, Gragg
LT: Reiff, Fox
LG: Sims, Jacobson
C: Holmes, Nagy
RG: Warford, Jacobson
RT: Cherilus, Hillard

Defense:
RE: Montgomery, Young
DT: Fairley, Hill
DT: Suh
LE: Carradine, R. Lewis
OLB: Levy, Palmer, Whitehead, Taylor
MLB: Tulloch, T. Lewis
CB: Houston, Green, Bentley, Greenwood, Lacey
S: Elam, Lester, Silva, T. Johnson

ST:

LS: Muhlbach
K: Catanzaro
P: Hornsey
KR/PR: Jahvid Best

The remaining roster spots will be filled with cheap free agents. Might possibly decide on which ones later, but I doubt it.

I apologize that I didn't figure out the cap implications of every move, but this is my first mock and I didn't want to jump too deep into the details and miss out on the big picture.

Let me know your thoughts and criticisms, but know that I tried to be a little optimistic with what players would be available when we picked because I want to have some hope for our upcoming years. Laughing
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of Montgomery, but at that point in the draft he's worth the chance. I like the draft, due to our cap restrictions, trading for more selections would be ideal and you hit on many of our areas of need with solid prospects.

I think you should re-think releasing Dom and replacing him with Kahled, I highly doubt he's up for the task as a rookie, and that could be a disaster for your $20M man.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8904
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Not a huge fan of Montgomery, but at that point in the draft he's worth the chance. I like the draft, due to our cap restrictions, trading for more selections would be ideal and you hit on many of our areas of need with solid prospects.

I think you should re-think releasing Dom and replacing him with Kahled, I highly doubt he's up for the task as a rookie, and that could be a disaster for your $20M man.


Thanks for the feedback.

I felt Dom had to be let go mostly for cap reasons, and I had heard good things about Nagy from Cowboy fans when we picked him up so I thought there would be a Kahled/Nagy preseason battle for the starting spot. I'm optimistic that at least one of them will step up and produce for us. I can definitely understand your concern though.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25933
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this mock a great deal.

It's unfortunate the Lions are in cap trouble but this mock recognizes that reality. The sad truth is the Lions need to find a way to cut ties with a number of high earning players and replace them with cheaper talent. The best way to do that is through the draft as you have demonstrated.

The reason I prefer replacing talent with rookies is because most of them offer potential. Experienced players that come cheap are cheap for a reason.

I love the additions of Montgomery and Carradine. I think both will have good pro careers. Their additions keep the dline the strength of the team. With the addition of Elem and Lester the Lions defence would potentially improve dramatically.

Don't know much about Worford but I will never complain about any mock adding linemen with potential.

The remainder I don't know a great deal about.

I think you did a good job with this one. My only complaint is the move to L.A.

I would have to live in my car because unlike Detroit, L.A. isn't just an 8 hour drive.

Laughing good job.
_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whiffleballtony


Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 1036
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like the mock and understand the theory behind it but I have some concerns.

Moore as a sole backup concerns me, more so with two rookie lineman starting.

I would assume that Nagy would beat out Raiola as a starter.

Two rookies starting at DE concerns me as well. This is made worse by the depth being Ronnel Lewis and Young.

No fourth DT? Palmer starting at LB?

Best returning kicks?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25834
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mock is awful.

First of all, you had terrible TVC value on every single trade. We don't trade to tie, or "be close": we trade to win. By a lot. Completely unrealistic. (FFMD taught me this.)

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.

I noticed that you have (KR) as one of Jahvid Best's positions: good call Comanche. Week 1 would finally settle the debate if Best will ever be back on a football field again. (I guess you just really, really hate Best, which is fine. I somewhat agree: I hate his "do whatever it takes for the team" attitude.)

You somehow managed to misspell BOTH of Corey Hilliard's names, which is quite the feat. You're almost as bad at spelling his name as he is playing RT. (Almost. And that's high praise.)

Riley Reiff. Matthew Stafford. Brian Robiskie. Correy Williams. (Did you make this mock with crayons?)

You also claimed that Sanchez is broken, which is completely misguided. He's playing as well as any fixed Sanchez can play.

The ONLY thing I liked about this mock was selecting Turner as the OC. If there's a coach who knows how to encourage great ST play, it's clearly this guy. Hopefully, his proficiencies in this regard rub off on the other scrub you hired, who is only a known name because the Bears constantly have a productive unit. (Yeah, O'Dea's success is a byproduct of the roster and scheme at CHI. Terrible signing.)

Oh yeah: Moore as our only other QB was a cute touch as well. I don't disagree, though: if he's on the field, we might as well start playing for draft picks.

Good job.
_________________


Team Stylish


Last edited by TL-TwoWinsAway on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SadLionFan00


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 14342
Location: Michigan State University
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.


The Montgomery pick is a wasted pick because he lined up offsides in that picture?

Thats quite a leap.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:
Trestman is a great coach but Cutler is already a pouty overconfident poo flinger. What more can he do with him?
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25834
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.


The Montgomery pick is a wasted pick because he lined up offsides in that picture?

Thats quite a leap.

It wasn't a leap: his foot was over. If it was a leap, he would have been up in the air.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SadLionFan00


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 14342
Location: Michigan State University
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SadLionFan00 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.


The Montgomery pick is a wasted pick because he lined up offsides in that picture?

Thats quite a leap.

It wasn't a leap: his foot was over. If it was a leap, he would have been up in the air.


Uhhh?

I meant leap as in leap of logic there.

Foot over the line in that picture = wasted pick.

That was your leap.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:
Trestman is a great coach but Cutler is already a pouty overconfident poo flinger. What more can he do with him?
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25834
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadLionFan00 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SadLionFan00 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.


The Montgomery pick is a wasted pick because he lined up offsides in that picture?

Thats quite a leap.

It wasn't a leap: his foot was over. If it was a leap, he would have been up in the air.


Uhhh?

I meant leap as in leap of logic there.

Foot over the line in that picture = wasted pick.

That was your leap.

It's not just that his foot was over.. it's that he's clearly that type of player. We can't have those types of players anymore. Selfish players like that (and like Titus) are what's destroying this team.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imyourGM


Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 190
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More picks are usually a good thing but not for this draft imo. Plus im just not trading down that far. If i were to trade down like that i would like to turn around and use some of the latter picks to trade up and get the guys i want. I no ill be pretty mad if we don't get something for avril and just let him walk. And if you have all them picks why no wr? its one of those fill the holes drafts, so not a big fan of those type of mocks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1King


Moderator
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 35639
Location: daboyle250 on the sig.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deserve nothing but shame for moving the team.

Didn't bother to read the mock after I saw that crap.
_________________


El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.


candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome


TEAM STYLISH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8904
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
You deserve nothing but shame for moving the team.

Didn't bother to read the mock after I saw that crap.


Aw... but the moving the team and the team name was a joke poking fun at how awful we get treated by the refs. The rest of it was serious, minus me thinking Best would ever get cleared again.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8904
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imyourGM wrote:
More picks are usually a good thing but not for this draft imo. Plus im just not trading down that far. If i were to trade down like that i would like to turn around and use some of the latter picks to trade up and get the guys i want. I no ill be pretty mad if we don't get something for avril and just let him walk. And if you have all them picks why no wr? its one of those fill the holes drafts, so not a big fan of those type of mocks.


What about the picks didn't you like? I didn't have to use any of my later picks to move up because I liked all the guys I got with my picks. I don't know how much choice we will have concerning Avril. With our cap I'm not sure keeping him is an option, and tagging to trade him is risky because we aren't guaranteed to find a trading partner.

To demonstrate the reason why I didn't pick a WR in the draft I'll use an analogy I've read on here that I think fits pretty well. If you have a boat with 20 holes in it but only 12 pieces of gum, you aren't going to be able to fill all the holes at once. I would have loved to add another WR, but I wanted to add the pieces I added instead more.

Sure I filled the holes, but I also believe I got great value at all the picks. That is the perfect kind of draft imo. When BPA is also positions of need you couldn't ask for more.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8904
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
This mock is awful.

Good job.


First of all, I'm confused by this. The green coloring of the awful makes me think you think I did alright. But then the green coloring of the good job makes me think you think I did a terrible job. Embarassed
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
This mock is awful.

First of all, you had terrible TVC value on every single trade. We don't trade to tie, or "be close": we trade to win. By a lot. Completely unrealistic. (FFMD taught me this.)

Secondly: in the picture you selected for Montgomery, he is lined up offsides. I know, because I watched that play unfold. So you released Corey Williams, the off-sides ninja, and replaced him with someone who's only trending towards the exact same tendencies. Terrible decision, and a waste of a pick.

I noticed that you have (KR) as one of Jahvid Best's positions: good call Comanche. Week 1 would finally settle the debate if Best will ever be back on a football field again. (I guess you just really, really hate Best, which is fine. I somewhat agree: I hate his "do whatever it takes for the team" attitude.)

You somehow managed to misspell BOTH of Corey Hilliard's names, which is quite the feat. You're almost as bad at spelling his name as he is playing RT. (Almost. And that's high praise.)

Riley Reiff. Matthew Stafford. Brian Robiskie. Correy Williams. (Did you make this mock with crayons?)

You also claimed that Sanchez is broken, which is completely misguided. He's playing as well as any fixed Sanchez can play.

The ONLY thing I liked about this mock was selecting Turner as the OC. If there's a coach who knows how to encourage great ST play, it's clearly this guy. Hopefully, his proficiencies in this regard rub off on the other scrub you hired, who is only a known name because the Bears constantly have a productive unit. (Yeah, O'Dea's success is a byproduct of the roster and scheme at CHI. Terrible signing.)

Oh yeah: Moore as our only other QB was a cute touch as well. I don't disagree, though: if he's on the field, we might as well start playing for draft picks.

Good job.


Sorry about the TVC closeness. I was desperate to move back so I settled for close to equal value.

Remember the change of location and name? We are now on the officials good sides and will no longer get called for pesky little things like off sides.

I see your point on Best but as I said, in this scenario he is fully cleared to return to football. As a KR/PR he will also only be touching the ball a handful of times per game and most of those will probably be fair catches and kneel downs. Lets face it, is there a safe position for Best to play at this point?

Sorry for the spelling errors, this was written at like 4am and is on the internet, not part of a job application or something.

Not exactly sure how Turner being an offensive coordinator affects the special teams at all.

Moore wouldn't be our only backup QB. I said the rest of the roster would be filled with cheap free agents and QB would be one of them.

Thanks for the feed back, even if I couldn't tell what parts of it were sarcastic and what parts were serious. Crying or Very sad
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group