Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions to take another WR Early in the Draft....?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:
while it is a need, i cant spend a top 3 round pick on a WR again, if stafford is an elite QB its time for him to make someone who isnt otherwise good into a productive wide reciever like manning, brady, rodgers, brees. I think we draft a wide out but late rounds is where we do it

Manning:
Reggie Wayne - 1st Round Pick
Marvin Harrison - 1st Round Pick

Brady:
Deion Branch - 2nd Round Pick
Wes Welker - Traded 2nd Round Pick
Dan Gronkowski - 2nd Round Pick

Rodgers:
Greg Jennings - 2nd Round Pick
Jordy Nelson - 2nd Round Pick
Jermichael Finley - 3rd Round Pick

Brees:
Robert Meachem - 1st Round Pick
Devery Henderson - 2nd Round Pick

This list was made quickly.

Stafford
Calvin 1
Pettigrew 1
Scheffler 2
young 2
broyles 2

point is wheres staffords garcon 6, collie 4, tamme 4, stokley 4, moore udfa, colston 7th, hernadez 4
rodgers is surrounded by high picks valid point, driver was a 7th but he was well established before rodgers. welker was a udfa too just becaus he was traded for a 2nd doesnt mean anything, moss was traded for a 4th should i not count him as a first round pick? Point is those guys have made atleast one reciever each, we have our high picks for stafford now make a late rounder work

Detroit simply not good hitting on late picks. Fact they have t hit in them does not mean they are not trying

Someone is clearly forgetting the sixth round future superstar CB Jonte Green.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
ahoda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That early WR draft pick better be able to play Cb and S too. Or else it wouldn't matter if we continue to draft skill postion because our defense will still give up at least 1 more then our offense can score.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
That early WR draft pick better be able to play Cb and S too. Or else it wouldn't matter if we continue to draft skill postion because our defense will still give up at least 1 more then our offense can score.

So you'll draft for need?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to bring in a free agent, but I'm not sure if we'll have any chance of doing that with our cap situation.

If we can't, then yes...we may very well need another WR.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:

Do you honestly think mayhew drafts strictly BPA every round?? And don't you need to look at needs?? And wr should not be either. I hate when someone makes a comment like this. He ruled wr out and rightfully so. but now he only drafts for need?? come on
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imyourGM wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:

Do you honestly think mayhew drafts strictly BPA every round?? And don't you need to look at needs?? And wr should not be either. I hate when someone makes a comment like this. He ruled wr out and rightfully so. but now he only drafts for need?? come on

I'm not Mayhew. I would draft BPA.

And yes, if you don't need anyone at a position, rule it out. If you have over one best player available or a group of them, you lean toward the position you most need.

I hate comments like yours, too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:

There's a big difference between need and having a black hole of cuts from garbage teams.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:

There's a big difference between need and having a black hole of cuts from garbage teams.

Our WR corps looks like that right now. I know Burleson and probably Broyles will be back next year, but we are rolling out Lance Long / Kris Durham / Mike Thomas this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLovetheLions wrote:
rodgers is surrounded by high picks valid point, driver was a 7th but he was well established before rodgers. welker was a udfa too just becaus he was traded for a 2nd doesnt mean anything, moss was traded for a 4th should i not count him as a first round pick? Point is those guys have made atleast one reciever each, we have our high picks for stafford now make a late rounder work

You need to re-read your argument.
Quote:
if stafford is an elite QB its time for him to make someone who isnt otherwise good into a productive wide reciever like manning, brady, rodgers, brees.

Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees, the (elite) QBs you mentioned, all had high cost weapons around them (in terms of draft picks). Welker was an UDFA, but the Patriots gave a 2nd round pick to put him on the field. That was the topic, and that's a key point. If you're going to consider the resources the Patriots spent on Moss, it would clearly be a 4th round pick: they didn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

This is Stafford's second season in the NFL. Each of those QBs has had far more time to prove themselves. Give it time.

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
ahoda wrote:

Our WR corps looks like that right now. I know Burleson and probably Broyles will be back next year, but we are rolling out Lance Long / Kris Durham / Mike Thomas this weekend.

Look who they're rolling out at CB. Also consider that Houston and Delmas are FA's. There is a chance the Lions will go in the draft with Bentley as the best CB on the roster, and having a need at both safety positions. I understand that having a more productive WR would be extremely valuable to this team. However, Broyles is going to have to rehab well and be that guy. There are just way too many holes on this team to invest in the WR position again early this year.

I do agree with BPA for the most part, but at times it also needs to be directed in the direction of need. I think the Lions will be able to draft straight BPA and not really make a mistake as long as they evaluate well, but this year is going to be a big make or break draft for this staff. They can't ignore the defense early in the draft again unless they land a stud RB or a stud offensive linemen.
38andy38

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I would prefer to bring in a free agent, but I'm not sure if we'll have any chance of doing that with our cap situation.

Mike Wallace?
Dwayne Bowe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

38andy38 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Mike Wallace?
Dwayne Bowe?

$$$

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft should be for adding the best talent and the player who will have the largest impact on your team (not your roster, your team, there's a difference). FA and trades are for filling needs. If they feel we absolutely need a S, they'll attempt to trade or sign one. If they feel adding a WR in the 2nd round would be adding the best talent or the best impact on your team, then they should do it.

An example for the best impact on your team would be the Stafford pick. Most people thought that Curry was the best player in the draft. But, a potentially great QB has a greater impact than a potential elite OLB.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Draft should be for adding the best talent and the player who will have the largest impact on your team (not your roster, your team, there's a difference). FA and trades are for filling needs. If they feel we absolutely need a S, they'll attempt to trade or sign one. If they feel adding a WR in the 2nd round would be adding the best talent or the best impact on your team, then they should do it.

An example for the best impact on your team would be the Stafford pick. Most people thought that Curry was the best player in the draft. But, a potentially great QB has a greater impact than a potential elite OLB.

Well said.

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:

I agree with what most of what you said except for your QB/OLB example. I don't think you can compare drafting a QB like that to anything. You either have a franchise QB or you don't, and if you don't then you need/want one and have to get one. QB trumps everything in the draft if there is one available that you like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: