Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Current WR Corps; Who stays? Who goes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
this providence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: The Current WR Corps; Who stays? Who goes? Reply with quote

One of the larger talking points around here (outside of the QB position) relates to just how bad these current WRs are. No one is going to deny that collectively they leave a lot to be desired and that there will likely be a larger turnover in the offseason at this spot. So, to get the discussion started, here's the particulars:

Michael Jenkins '13 Cap Number - $3.2m | Snaps - 543
Percy Harvin '13 Cap Number - $2.7m | Snaps - 420
Jerome Simpson '13 Cap Number - UFA | Snaps - 313
Devin Aromashodu '13 Cap Number - UFA | Snaps - 253
Stephen Burton '13 Cap Number - $555k | Snaps - 133
Jarius Wright '13 Cap Number - $585k | Snaps - 99

Looking at it, what immediately comes to mind is this
• If the Vikings are going to pursue one, or multiple, higher grade FAs; Jenkins' cap number may be a problem.
• Simpson clearly isn't the player some people around here thought that he was going to be.
• Aromashodu hasn't done enough for the coaches to get on the field.
• Burton is an extremely cheap option as a #5 that will likely be kept around.
• Wright is an unproven rookie but is going to have a tough time finding time in this type of offense.

In my view, the first person I say goodbye to is Simpson. He's just not a capable player in this sort of offense. Yes, he may get behind a DB a time or two but he doesn't do enough on the shorter and intermediate routes to ever be a factor in an offense as it's currently led. They need a sound possession guy and he's just not it.

I think Jenkins will be gone if he's not restructured (again, I believe). The Vikings are going to need to make some moves this offseason and that's a fairly significant cap number for his production. However, I still do believe he'd be a capable #3/4 if this team could find a #1 on the market. He's probably the one to watch.

Personally, I'm a bit of a fan of Aromashodu (as much as you can be, I guess). He's open often but he's rarely found for whatever reason. Granted, he does have inconsistent hands so that may be playing a role. If the team needs to part ways with Jenkins, he's the guy I'd keep. Especially over a player like Simpson.

As for Burton and Wright, you can really go either way with these two as your #5 (or if they keep 6) WR. Burton is going to give the team sound run blocking and special team ability. Wright still has the unknown factor to him but with Harvin on this team and a heavy run mindset with Peterson, it's hard to see how well he actually fits in moving forward. I think this is the battle for your last WR spot next camp as both will still be around.

In short, my ideal/best case WR corps looks like this next year
• #1/2 WR brought in via FA or Trade
• Percy Harvin
• Devin Aromashodu
• Flier FA WR pick-up
• Mid Round Rookie WR draft pick
• Stephen Burton/Jarius Wright

Yes, that won't be the elite passing attack some would like to see. But the reality is this team does have other needs to address. Going out and getting a legit option to work in relation to Harvin, Peterson, and Rudolph is going to go a long ways towards providing a more competent passing offense. Just my take on the WRs, lets hear others. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Keenan Allen is there in the first, pull the trigger, no hesitation. Guy will be a franchise WR along w/ Percy Harvin. I say we keep Jenkins just for the short routes as he's pretty reliable there still. Get rid of Aroma-doo-doo, Hurtin Burton, Jerome Simp-eyesinthe-sun, and John Carl-eyesinthe-sun. Keep Jarius Wright and sign a REAL free agent that's on the cheaper, but not too cheap, side.

So:
TE:
Rudolph
Ellison
WR:
Allen
Harvin
FA
Jenkins
Wright
Childs if he actually gets healthy

Keenan Allen 10-11 highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdVSwSPIoc
This kids can play any part of the field. Complete WR, 6-3 height, good enough speed, gets separation, great hands.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking

Last edited by DJpillz317 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep Harvin, Aromashodu and Wright, out of that group. I still remember Aromashodu burning us for big yardage and 2 TDs in the '09 season on Monday night. He just needs a capable QB to work with, and I think he will find a stable role within our offense once/if we have one. Harvin is a no-brainer and Wright is instantly valuable because he has already shown he can do some damage both on the outside and in the slot. I might also be inclined to keep Simpson; the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a wise thing to do, as a rotational deep threat. I've been calling for Michael Jenkins' head since the day we signed him and I'm not stopping now.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Last edited by PurpleMugen on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
this providence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if a rookie WR is suppose to be THE top option in the down field passing game next year, this team is in as much (if not more) trouble than it is this season. Most all rookie WRs are far too inconsistent in their route trees and adjusting to beat NFL quality defenses.

In my opinion, that's the last route I'd choose. Granted, my opinion and all...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, forgot to mention, a new OC, lol. Musgrave doesn't know how to draw routes and focuses too much on his run plays.

If we go the route of getting WRs in later rounds, I'd check out Qinton Patton in the 4th round if he's there hopefully
2011 highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SoSrRGKIp0
Kid has great character and seems like a team guy like AP. Jonathan Banks said he was the best WR he ever faced as Mississippi State

Darick Rogers from Tenn Tech in the 2nd would be good or Cordarrlle Patterson if he declares.
And if all the good LBs are taken, and Keenan Allen is gone, I would take a risk on Justin Hunter. Maybe. If we're picking in the 18-19 range.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.

Last edited by DJpillz317 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i want for Christmas is Greg Jennings.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
perrynoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

So easy to please! I want Jennings, Flynn, Levitre and Dorsey.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrynoid wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

So easy to please! I want Jennings, Flynn, Levitre and Dorsey.

I want a new OC. Musgrave...ugh, hate him as much as Chilly.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stays:

Harvin
Wright
Childs
Simpson

Goes:

Jenkins
Burton
Aromashodu

Im willing to give Simpson another year if he wants to come back on a cheap one year deal. His nerve issue seems to have really hindered his ability to be in the game physically and metnally. Hopefully he can take care of it in the offseason, i am not sure if its an issue that can even be resolved. willsee.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin needs to be extended
Wright will be sticking around

Jenkins, Simpson or DA should only be resigned for the league minimum and need to earn their roster spot in training camp. Burton will also need to earn a roster spot in training camp.

The Vikings need to sign a high end WR FA (or trade for one) and a young guy like Ramses Barden or Mohamed Massoqui for depth. They ALSO need to draft a WR before the 4th round.

Ideally the WR's would look like this:

#1: **FA**
#2: Percy Harvin
#3: **rookie**
#4: Jarius Wright
#5: **FA**
#6: Burton/Simpson/DA/Childs
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Harvin needs to be extended
Wright will be sticking around

Jenkins, Simpson or DA should only be resigned for the league minimum and need to earn their roster spot in training camp. Burton will also need to earn a roster spot in training camp.

The Vikings need to sign a high end WR FA (or trade for one) and a young guy like Ramses Barden or Mohamed Massoqui for depth. They ALSO need to draft a WR before the 4th round.

Ideally the WR's would look like this:

#1: **FA**
#2: Percy Harvin
#3: **rookie**
#4: Jarius Wright
#5: **FA**
#6: Burton/Simpson/DA/Childs

I like this and the only guy I'd put as a rookie for #1 is Keenan Allen. Guy is a freakin STUD! Then we would save a lot of money not overpaying a WR, and be able to spend it in FA on a defensive position of need where there are going to be good guys available.

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what Spielman has said and done about free agency, they are, for example, 8 million under the cap...and only signed Carlson this year, you really think this GM will sign a big time FA WR?
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Given what Spielman has said and done about free agency, they are, for example, 8 million under the cap...and only signed Carlson this year, you really think this GM will sign a big time FA WR?

I do. Spielman and Frazier are committed to Ponder for better or worse. The front office is no stranger to making headlining moves. In a way, both Spielman and Frazier's jobs are tied to Ponder. They are going to do whatever they can to help him succeed.

Maxx Williams For Mackey
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

I do. Spielman and Frazier are committed to Ponder for better or worse. The front office is no stranger to making headlining moves. In a way, both Spielman and Frazier's jobs are tied to Ponder. They are going to do whatever they can to help him succeed.

Spielman could be doing what the Wild's GM set them up to do. He evaluated potential free agents years in advance and set the team up to pounce and spend a lot of money on top guys.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:

You have to realize that the money has been tight the past few years due to the aging and expensive roster. with more and more money becoming available, it has to go somewhere. Spielman spent $25M on an injury prone backup TE, to me, that says he is very loose with his wallet. Hopefully they can identify a top free agent WR or DT and make a move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: